Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's both weight and mounting points. I'd be surprised if this thing ever carries SDB; a B61 Mod 12 at 800 pounds would be more realistic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully both

I've only flown paper airplanes, so I'm not sure how payload works for these.

Is the limitation overall weight, or is it more how many mounting points there are for weapons on the internal rotary launchers?

IE if it has a 30,000lb payload, can it really hold 120x 250lb Small Diameter Bombs? Or it constrained by mounting points for the bombs?

It's both weight and mounting points. I'd be surprised if this thing ever carries SDB; a B61 Mod 12 at 800 pounds would be more realistic.

That'd be lame; with B61s it will never get used.

Whereas a stealth bomber with ~100 SDB could really party given the precision and glide range.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to make your brain hurt in trying to understand stealth technology, start reading on negative refractive index metamaterials.

The implications of which lead to...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial_cloaking

The principle of cloaking, with a cloaking device, was first proved (demonstrated) at frequencies in the microwave radiation band on October 19, 2006. This demonstration used a small cloaking device. Its height was less than one half inch (< 13 mm) and its diameter five inches (125 mm), and it successfully diverted microwaves around itself. The object to be hidden from view, a small cylinder, was placed in the center of the device. The invisibility cloak deflected microwave beams so they flowed around the cylinder inside with only minor distortion, making it appear almost as if nothing were there at all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I started looking for the F-117 in 1986 when I bought a 4x4.  Unfortunately, I was looking near Area 51 instead of the Tonapah Test Range, about 75 miles NW of Area 51.  Unlike A 51, you can drive up to the gate at TTR.

Also, we knew about the B-2 development at Boeing when the Boeing Development Center, south Boeing Field, went Black in late 1980 or early 1981.  My cousin worked on the program at the time; I wish I still had the B-2 sweater she gave me.  

In other words, it wasn't all that secret at the time.
View Quote

When you turn off the highway on to the single road heading into TTR, you still have about ten miles to go. A half mile in your cell phone goes dead. If you have no business there you will meet some nice gentlemen shortly thereafter who will turn you around and make sure you get back to the highway.

Hurlburt ran an ORI there once upon a time, for what reason I have absolutely no idea. I was put in a hotel in Vegas as an approved "cheater"...a liaison to move eval-stopping MICAP parts from McCarran to TTR. They thought I'd maybe make the run once. I did it four times in six days, it sucked balls. They wouldn't let me through the gate at TTR, I had to throw the box over the damn fence to some very raggedy and sunburned guys on the other side.  

Afterwards one of my friends in the ORI told me a couple of times a day a whistle blew, and they had to go sit in a hangar until cleared to go back out. I never did find out why we played a serious wing CBN evaluation out in the middle of nowhere, we could just as easily have done it at Hurlburt. The H-models were still a long way from being moved to Cannon, so at a guess I'd bet it was as much a response type of thing to the location as it was a test to see how many people would heatstroke in MOPP 4 running for a sandbag shelter in Arizona.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What defines 6th gen?
View Quote

Everything I’ve read is that 6th gen isn’t really about the physical performance but the sensor, electronics, network architecture, including AI, to give the plane unparalleled access to information.

Now how much is bullshit and a marketing push of 6>5, we will never know. Will the B21 have better access to data and the ability to transform it into action even compared to the F35 most likely, but enough to declare a whole new generation?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Everything I’ve read is that 6th gen isn’t really about the physical performance but the sensor, electronics, network architecture, including AI, to give the plane unparalleled access to information.

Now how much is bullshit and a marketing push of 6>5, we will never know. Will the B21 have better access to data and the ability to transform it into action even compared to the F35 most likely, but enough to declare a whole new generation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What defines 6th gen?

Sensor suites + optionally unmanned is my understanding
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
6th gen =  hypersonic, "AI" processing, unmanned, directed energy weapons.  1.5 out of 4 ain't bad
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
6th gen =  hypersonic, "AI" processing, unmanned, directed energy weapons.  1.5 out of 4 ain't bad
View Quote

Directed energy is already here in the known world, I'm sure it's more advanced in the unknown world and also easily put into the B21 due to design.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Deep Intel on the B-21 Raider
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Directed energy is already here in the known world, I'm sure it's more advanced in the unknown world and also easily put into the B21 due to design.
View Quote

Imagine if the payload bay is just a gigantic DEW.

"And then one day, everything's electronics fried and we have no idea why"
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The generation thing is pop science fandom.  No one in the industry talks in those terms except VP's and marketers (mostly the same thing, with more than a dash of used car salesman added.)
The evolution is a continuum hidden under the skins of the airplanes we can see, and airplanes we can't.  There are no step changes.

View Quote

I don’t disagree, the 6th gen talk in regards to the NGAD is a head scratcher to me especially because it largely seems like a way to get the F-22 kinematics with the F35s sensor/network integration and F-111 legs. Nothing about it appears to set it apart from the current offerings except tailoring it for the Pacific.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of spooky directed energy, I wonder if they ever ended up putting those 'laser periscopes' onto the Virginias?

Nuclear powered surprise laser seemed like a cool idea:

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noooo CHAMP what are you doing
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Nooooo remote laser drones please stop

Oh F35 hello what are you doing nooooo pls stop
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Speaking of spooky directed energy, I wonder if they ever ended up putting those 'laser periscopes' onto the Virginias?

https://www.the-sun.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/02/VP-GRAPHIC-US-NAVY-LASER-COMP-1.jpg?w=1560
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.the-sun.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/02/VP-GRAPHIC-US-NAVY-LASER-COMP-1.jpg?w=1560

Why risk the asset when you can deploy a smaller one to do the same
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Saw something somewhere that indicated they are looking at putting them into the block 5 Virginia or maybe the 774i. (Future SSN)
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the 'Sharks Subs with frickin' laser beams on their heads' factor
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"They" wanted 600 F-22s too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope they build more than 20 or so of them this time.

A craft incorporating the lessons of decades of B2 and F22 service. It's going to be interesting...

They want 100

"They" wanted 600 F-22s too.

And 3,400 F35's.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't care if it looks different of cool.

WRT RCS reduction and management form is driven by function therefor the form will stay the same unless the threat and means for detection change drastically.  

Changes in the future will be things like active stealth, sound and optical reduction etc.   That is because as the RCS ruins the defender's radar acquisition they will be forced to detect the a/c using other means.  

Imagine a B21 turned into a "Predator" and just disappearing will the next thing.  No RCS and you can't even see it optically.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Um, so the B21?
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, yes they are.
Used to have them here at McConnell. There's a road that goes right by the end of the runway, was on it several times when they were taking off. Like 500 feet over you.  Think, 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.'

But it sounds like  freedom.

Also had AF1 take off like that when I was driving by.
They used to be serviced here.
Incredible climb rate for a big girl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have tinnitus from my house in Alabama seeing that. THOSE THINGS ARE SO FUCKING LOUD. Also I am also fully engorged.
https://i.imgur.com/NwBrxog.png

Yes, yes they are.
Used to have them here at McConnell. There's a road that goes right by the end of the runway, was on it several times when they were taking off. Like 500 feet over you.  Think, 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.'

But it sounds like  freedom.

Also had AF1 take off like that when I was driving by.
They used to be serviced here.
Incredible climb rate for a big girl.

We used to live in Governeour Manor apartments  south of Towne East which was right on either the approach path or takeoff depending which way they were flying.    It was incredibly loud when they were taking off our direction.   But it was very cool to watch them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

based on what source for the definition?

6th gen has a lot of meanings and is very context specific.

6th gen microprocessors
6th gen cell phones
6th gen fighter
6th gen bomber

the definitions for a 6th gen fighter will not be the same as those for a bomber.

likewise, a 6th gen drone will have different definitions from the previous two.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Weapons like CHAMP are political weapons like we've never seen.

When some jackass foreign actor starts rattling sabers, then make a flyby toasting the electric controls and guidance of their weapons and communication.

The actor is disarmed and hands tied, nobody dies to cause outrage, and the US dictates the terms and outcome of the next step.

View Quote

Zounds familiar.

Escape From L.A. (1996) - Shutting Down the Earth Scene (10/10) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Um, so the B21?
View Quote

Lacking any more info on the plane, all I got is memes for ya

Link Posted: 12/5/2022 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful. Looks futuristic now give me my goddamn flying cars as a kid I thought we’d have them once I became an adult.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Directed laser submarine maybe.

Directed laser Supercarrier I 100% is either operating or about to be.

And if not then it can’t be done. Seems like an absolute no fucking brainer to use directed laser defense on your biggest floating target that also happens to be power by a nuclear reactor.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

6th gen microprocessors
6th gen cell phones
6th gen fighter
6th gen bomber

the definitions for a 6th gen fighter will not be the same as those for a bomber.

likewise, a 6th gen drone will have different definitions from the previous two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6th gen microprocessors
6th gen cell phones
6th gen fighter
6th gen bomber

it's just the natural progression of tech.  

7th gen = pocket sized, functioning tesseract time/space drive, 4D quantum computations, R2-D2 pilot, antimatter photon torpedoes
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And if not then it can’t be done. Seems like an absolute no fucking brainer to use directed laser defense on your biggest floating target that also happens to be power by a nuclear reactor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I crazy for thinking this way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they ever put a laser on a sub, that sub sure ain't gonna be a Typhoon class as depicted

maybe its "payback" for the Los Angeles class boat painted on the apartment complex in Murmansk
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2022 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If they ever put a laser on a sub, that sub sure ain't gonna be a Typhoon class as depicted

maybe its "payback" for the Los Angeles class boat painted on the apartment complex in Murmansk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats hysterical:

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/security/2022/06/russias-most-potent-submarine-base-decorated-large-painting-us-attack-sub

"The house located in the center of the small town now depicts a submarine in surface position surrounded by stormy waves. It is made in an artistic way by a professional muralist.

The painting was completed in early June.

The only problem is that it is not a Russian submarine.

A storm of reader comments now rages on local social media. On the town VK page, a local underlines that someone must carry the responsibility for the action.

“How disgusting! Why paint an enemy vessel?!” the comment reads. And the person adds that “we have our own submarines, and they are by far more beautiful than the ones of our foe.”

“Shame on the town administration!” another reader writes.

Meanwhile, town authorities argue that the painting was chosen after a vote where locals were invited to participate. The sub got the most votes, the administration says."

Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#35]
"we have our own submarines, and they are by far more beautiful than the ones of our foe.”
View Quote

That said I do like the looks of the Alpha and Akulas. They look like a well used bar of soap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thats hysterical:

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/security/2022/06/russias-most-potent-submarine-base-decorated-large-painting-us-attack-sub

"The house located in the center of the small town now depicts a submarine in surface position surrounded by stormy waves. It is made in an artistic way by a professional muralist.

A storm of reader comments now rages on local social media. On the town VK page, a local underlines that someone must carry the responsibility for the action.

"How disgusting! Why paint an enemy vessel?!" the comment reads. And the person adds that "we have our own submarines, and they are by far more beautiful than the ones of our foe."

"Shame on the town administration!" another reader writes.

Meanwhile, town authorities argue that the painting was chosen after a vote where locals were invited to participate. The sub got the most votes, the administration says."

https://thebarentsobserver.com/sites/default/files/gadzhievo.sub-wallpaint_vk.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats hysterical:

"How disgusting! Why paint an enemy vessel?!" the comment reads. And the person adds that "we have our own submarines, and they are by far more beautiful than the ones of our foe."

"Shame on the town administration!" another reader writes.

https://thebarentsobserver.com/sites/default/files/gadzhievo.sub-wallpaint_vk.jpg
That seems more Ohio-ish than 688 ish. Most 688s didn't have sail planes. Plus that looks like a missile compartment back there in that wagon she's draggin.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

30 KW? Not good enough. I want 5 megawatts by mid-may.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine a nuke sub has plenty of power. I wonder if the limitation is how big of a laser they can bolt onto the periscope?
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Some of the tradecraft used to keep the B21's secrets during its reveal:

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/12/06/fog-machines-short-lenses-no-iphones-managing-the-b-21s-rollout/
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I imagine a nuke sub has plenty of power. I wonder if the limitation is how big of a laser they can bolt onto the periscope?
View Quote

Not a laser, a laser turret.

Subtle but important difference.

Explaining Laser Weapons in Space Combat
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Beautiful. Looks futuristic now give me my goddamn flying cars as a kid I thought we’d have them once I became an adult.
View Quote

Hell no! People can’t handle driving on a flat surface. 3 dimensions is too far beyond their abilities.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't care if you're arrogant. I don't care if you're disrespectful. But your attitude's distracting Mitch, and that I won't have.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Numbers and actual capability are actually major deterrence. China and Russia both know they aren't producing anything close to the F22 F35 B2 B21 level. The days of shooting down a U2 are long gone.

View Quote

This.

If they are showing the plane, it’s absolutely been flying.

This is a public signal to other world powers (China, Russia) to think before they get froggy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.

If they are showing the plane, it’s absolutely been flying.

This is a public signal to other world powers (China, Russia) to think before they get froggy.
View Quote

Same as the tictac videos
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The B2 and the United States military logistics to support it are just absolutely mind blowing.

Imagine being a Warrior in 2022. You grab a cup of coffee and kiss your wife goodbye and drive 20 minutes to your base in Missouri.
You get on your plane and just fly for like 12 hours, getting refueled along the way, halfway across the entire planet.
You're not terribly worried about getting shot down because they can't target the plane you're flying.
You bomb an enemy of your country.
You then fly back for another 12 hours.
You talk to some guys to debrief
You go back home to your wife.
View Quote
Imagine if they start setting these things up for remote operation. You go to your fight ops building in Missouri, sit in your comfy cockpit chair, start your mission, set the autopilot, get a 15min relief every couple of hours to call the wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, go check on the latest scores and highlights, and go home at the end of an 8 hour shift relieved by another pilot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Imagine if they start setting these things up for remote operation. You go to your fight ops building in Missouri, sit in your comfy cockpit chair, start your mission, set the autopilot, get a 15min relief every couple of hours to call the wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, go check on the latest scores and highlights, and go home at the end of an 8 hour shift relieved by another pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The B2 and the United States military logistics to support it are just absolutely mind blowing.

Imagine being a Warrior in 2022. You grab a cup of coffee and kiss your wife goodbye and drive 20 minutes to your base in Missouri.
You get on your plane and just fly for like 12 hours, getting refueled along the way, halfway across the entire planet.
You're not terribly worried about getting shot down because they can't target the plane you're flying.

I expect the remote part is more for “You’re on the transpacific outbound leg of your combat mission.  You’ve taken off and hand the controls over to Whiteman so you can grab some good sleep for the 15 hours before you near the flot.”
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

you get the Dick Tracy wrist watch.  be happy
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I expect the remote part is more for “You’re on the transpacific outbound leg of your combat mission.  You’ve taken off and hand the controls over to Whiteman so you can grab some good sleep for the 15 hours before you near the flot.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or "we're flying over China and don't want to risk a captured pilot"
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Or "we're flying over China and don't want to risk a captured pilot"
View Quote

At the point that a B21 is flying over China, the pilot doesn't have a base to land at anyway.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top