Quoted:

this is for my mother...she has bad knees and back, needs to be a soft ride
View Quote

Lexus RX
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197999/AB91CC2D-5ECD-490C-B660-519323071B21_jpe-2257550.JPG

Had one. AWD, 6-spd awesome car.

Until the warranty ran out. Never own a BMW out of warranty…

TC
View Quote

My dad has a 328 xdrive wagon. It's pretty awesome. It's been reliable so far but he doesn't drive much.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The transfer case of the AWD F3X cars is a problem. Kept me from buying the 328d wagon I wanted. Got the sedan instead. Probably should have just bought the wagon and kept an eye out for a spare transfer case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Buying new or used?

If new, X7 is more better, but more money.

X5 is plenty big though.

Don't buy a BMW used....my dad bought a lightly used X5 (off lease but like 20k miles on it)....it was in the shop A LOT, he got fed up and traded it in for Lexus RX and is much happier.

I had a 3 series years ago...engine was fine, but after warranty all doo dads started breaking...including the headliner falling down...loved the car when it was new...nightmare for quality of life after warranty.

Love me some BMW German Engineering, but my BMW purchases will be limited to weekend fun cars if I ever buy one.

I have a Lexus RX for my wife, and it's literally the best car I've ever owned.  It checks all the boxes you're looking for.   Mine has 93k miles, other than normal wear and tear (tires fluids and brakes), I've only had to replace the battery (once) and the water pump (just done at 92k miles).....it's a tank and super comfy ride.  The 3.5L is a rock solid engine and all of the doo dads still work inside.  My only gripe is the mpg around town isn't the best (17-18mpg), but on the highway it's surprisingly good (24mpg).

I liked it so much, I got a Lexus when I needed a new car....I'm now a lexus convert.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are not SUV or crossovers or whatever. They are station wagons. Very nice, very powerful, very expensive station wagons.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

ETA: More power to you…but still, they’re station wagons and had to get that off my chest.
View Quote

I can’t speak to the x5 (even though I’m a huge bmw fan), but the Cayenne has been proven for years to be a top performing suv.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Lincoln Aviators look badass, and Lincoln has prioritized comfortable ride. I had a buddy just buy a '22 MB GLC300. He drove the new X3 and hated the stiff ride.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
She wants a Lexus.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#8]
i have the 2020 x3m competition & love it. had an M4 before, and was hesitant to move to the SUV, but i really like it now. all wheel drive, M motor, etc. plenty of trunk storage as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can’t speak to the x5 (even though I’m a huge bmw fan), but the Cayenne has been proven for years to be a top performing suv.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are not SUV or crossovers or whatever. They are station wagons. Very nice, very powerful, very expensive station wagons.

ETA: More power to you…but still, they’re station wagons and had to get that off my chest.

Yep.

I don't have any qualms with calling the Cayenne a truck.

Not so much the Macan. Even though I still love them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell her to get a Lexus.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Tesla Model X or Model Y Performance.  The BMW X series is hot garbage, always has been. I have had more BMW's than anyone, probly around a dozen different models. My X6M was just a raging pos..
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was planning on buying a Macan this year when I sell my old truck, so we'd still have something at least decent in bad weather... but then my partner decided to buy a new Tacoma last week for hunting... so I don't know what the hell I want to buy now. Stick with the Macan? By a boxter? I don't know.
View Quote

Boxters are fun but wow do you lose cabin space.    If I was slightly wealthier I'd go buy a new Macan S, damn the monthly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is quibbling over a term.   Here is one definition of the term.

A sport utility vehicle or SUV is a car classification that combines elements of road-going passenger cars with features from off-road vehicles, such as raised ground clearance and four-wheel drive . There is no commonly agreed-upon definition of an SUV, and usage of the term varies between countries.

So even a Highlander is an SUV by most modern definitions.  And you and I agree it isn't useful for off roading.

I traded my Cayenne in for an X5.  I never drove the Cayenne off road either.  I have no intention of driving the X5 off road.  I do think if the road washes out or I run into bad conditions it is more capable than the average sedan with road clearance and AWD.   But if it gets really rough I expect I'd damage the thing.  Especially those fancy assed wheels.  

If I still went off road I'd have stuck with Jeeps.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Boxters are fun but wow do you lose cabin space.    If I was slightly wealthier I'd go buy a new Macan S, damn the monthly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was planning on buying a Macan this year when I sell my old truck, so we'd still have something at least decent in bad weather... but then my partner decided to buy a new Tacoma last week for hunting... so I don't know what the hell I want to buy now. Stick with the Macan? By a boxter? I don't know.

The 911 replaced a Z4. I kinda miss having a little convertible.

Anything we need space for, the Taycan and Tacoma can handle.

But yeah, I have no idea what direction I'm going to go at this point.

I'm also not really in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

damn that's impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
X5 should do the trick.  Had a love/hate relationship with mine.  Managed to squeeze over 250k miles out of it

damn that's impressive.

My dad had an awesome set of tools, and he showed me how to use them.  

Most of the stuff I worked on was minor.  The two biggest recurring problems were worn front suspension bushings and water pumps.  Front end kits were easy to come by and the water pump was mounted on the front of the V8 so it was a pretty simple swap.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
If it was me, i'd get a Cayenne.  Yes, you're paying the Porsche tax, but it's a great vehicle that is reasonably reliable.  It doesn't look as good as the X5, and the X5 has a few cool party pieces (like the two piece lift gate), but reliability will always likely be an issue with the BMW.

And it's not like the price is THAT horrible if you're sticking with something like a Cayenne S.  (I'm sure 434hp is more than enough for her)
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought an X5 x50i M Sport over the summer.  It's awesome, I highly recommend.

I was never a luxury car guy, always happy with my Sequoia's and 4runners in the past.  I wanted to treat myself and drive a more sophisticated fun to drive machine, so BMW was recommended by a friend.

My x50i is 485 HP, lots of bells and whistles including drive safety stuff plus a HUD.  The V8 guzzles gas, but if you put it in the Economy mode, you get better mileage without sacrificing alot of power.  On the highway when you're dodging all the left lane campers, the normal drive mode lets you zip by people in comfort.

All that said, my brother just got an AMG 63 SUV (not coupe).  That is 605 HP of ridiculousness.

As a guy who never cared about HP and speed, I'm firmly entrenched on the other side of the spectrum now.  If you drive alot like I do, why not do it in the best way you can afford?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
do you qualify for medicare also?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

lol that's quite a trip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have two certified bmw x7's on the lot right now. One is a 2020 and the other is a 2019 come on down

lol that's quite a trip
It's not that bad, I ship cars all over the country. Hawaii is probably the record for furthest vehicle shipped by me
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 2019 (G05) X5 which is the current body style.

I'd say with booster seats in the back there's plenty of leg room for the driver and front passenger. If you had full side kid's seats that were rear facing, I'd say nah.

The vehicle itself has been just ok. A lot I chalk up to being the first year of the new body style and some options weren't available when we ordered it. We were one of the first in the US to have the new G05. We had lots of issues with the new idrive. Mechanically its been sound though, and the 6 cylinder is easily one of the most reliable BMW engines.

I think if I had to do it again, I would have ordered air suspension, and 20" wheels. That's about all I'd change.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Get the X5 50i.  Plenty of room for my two kids in booster seats and our 100 lb Lab in the back.  Ride is great, nice interior, good handling for an SUV, and 500 hp.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#23]
As a 2020 X5 owner, which I really like, I’d get an X7 m50i
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#24]
The wife had a 2013 X6 5 liter that shit the bed. Went in for an oil change and the shop said it needed over 8K in repairs. Web search found that the V8 motors across many platforms were junk. Battery issues, gaskets busting from heat issues, turbo problems, etc. Told the dealer to make an offer and sold it back to BMW. Drove a couple of miles to the Lexus shop and bought a 2017 GX460. It’s not as sporty as the X but it’s will roll 200K miles easy with basic upkeep.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
@midcap

OP, I ordered a 2022 BMW X5 45e back in December, and it was delivered to my home today. Spent the afternoon driving it around and getting used to all the bells and whistles, of which there are plenty. In any case, I think it will fit the bill for what you are looking for, and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@midcap

OP, I ordered a 2022 BMW X5 45e back in December, and it was delivered to my home today. Spent the afternoon driving it around and getting used to all the bells and whistles, of which there are plenty. In any case, I think it will fit the bill for what you are looking for, and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Pic_2_jpg-2258051.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Pic_3_jpg-2258052.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Pic_4_jpg-2258053.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Rear_Seats_jpg-2258054.JPG
View Quote

I liek that blue

Looks good!

@MTShawn

Where there any other cars you were looking at?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@midcap

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Pic_2_jpg-2258051.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Pic_3_jpg-2258052.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Pic_4_jpg-2258053.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83379/Rear_Seats_jpg-2258054.JPG
View Quote

Damn, that's sweet! Congratulations. Love the color, and I'm a sucker for a nice leather interior with wood trim.

Our '19 4Runner ORP is paid for, low mileage, it's the right answer for N. Idaho, but an X5 is calling my name. Must...resist...
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I liek that blue

Looks good!

@MTShawn

Where there any other cars you were looking at?
View Quote

Ford Explorer
Kia Telluride
Land Rover Discovery
Tesla Model S
Genesis GV80
Audi Q8
BMW X4
BMW X6
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think the X7 and some versions of the X5 have air suspension? I would look towards those, otherwise people often aren't happy with the rougher ride of BMW versus competitors. I would also look at Audi Q7 or Q8, with optional air suspension. Audi is very function and practicality focused which you might appreciate. I test drove the new Genesis GV80 and that was damn nice looking vehicle too.
View Quote

If I had to do it over I would probably shy away from complicated suspension setups.
My X5d with 3rd row seating (3rd row=air suspension option only) has issues in very cold weather.
On cold mornings I sometimes come out to a completely lowered (both rear sides) X5.
Narrowed it down to a sticking solenoid valve assembly.
Solenoid valve assembly is not available for individual purchase.
Valve assembly is part of a larger group of parts including the air compressor.
1300.00+
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The 911 replaced a Z4. I kinda miss having a little convertible.

Anything we need space for, the Taycan and Tacoma can handle.

But yeah, I have no idea what direction I'm going to go at this point.

I'm also not really in a hurry.
View Quote

Fuck the 718.

Panamera Sport Turismo.

Moar junk in the trunk:

Doooo eet!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top