BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/6/2018 1:36:11 AM EDT
at a higher rate than old folks of yesteryear

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/business/bankruptcy-older-americans.html

Attachment Attached File

Not only are more older people seeking relief through bankruptcy, but they also represent a widening slice of all filers: 12.2 percent of filers are now 65 or older, up from 2.1 percent in 1991.

The jump is so pronounced, the study says, that the aging of the baby boom generation cannot explain it.
View Quote
Lots of interesting data at the link

What's coming down the pike?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Please tell me their social security is garnished!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Imagine that. Boomers can’t manage money
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably bankruptcies due to medical expenses. Very common.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
They helped to bankrupt the Country, now they want even more free-rides...
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Obamacare, medical.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I love baby boomer and millennial threads.

This one will be juicy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#7]
lol
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t know if I agree with that. They spent the last 50 years working, paying into crap they were forced to pay into just so corrupt assholes could raid the piggy bank with no consequences. Now they want their money. I’d want my money too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]
And the baby boomer wake of destruction gets even wider.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Leaving a giant pile of debt for someone else to pay off is what baby boomers do best.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Millenials are living with their parents and a higher percentage of boomers are bankrupt. Millenials don't want to work and boomers spent too much or didn't earn enough. At least the boomers worked.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm going to go with this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Millenials are living with their parents and a higher percentage of boomers are bankrupt. Millenials don't want to work and boomers spent too much or didn't earn enough. At least the boomers worked.
View Quote
derp
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Protect your retirement assets and get rid of debt. Then move to Florida.

Medical really does kill you financially when you get older. I know people who retired early [before medicare] had one medical issue and are now financially in the red for the foreseeable future. All their planning has been tossed into the trash. Most of them are just blue collars, saved decently but didn't realize just how much a bout with cancer can wipe out 30 years of saving and investing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Hitting retirement age, didn't save, and their retired income can't meet their living expenses that they probably didn't curtail post-retirement.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread has potential.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#17]
My moms about to declare bankruptcy. Her house is worth about 40k, she owes 63 on it. She has no savings and lives on 1100 a month SS. She has cancer and a host of other medical issues. She is moving in with my wife and I as living with my sister has turned into a nightmare.

She had no plan for retirement other than SS. None, nada, nothing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m sure it’s only medical bills that caused them to file.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Scam?

Bankrupt on paper to get freebies?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I knew a few like that. Mostly due to medical bills from a deceased spouse.

All those here throwing rocks.....I hope you live forever.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting. My credit card statement showed my credit rating and the credit ratings of other age groups. It was a perfect trend line up, with the oldest group shown (Including boomers) having the highest credit rating.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Some of you people eat derp  for breakfast, lunch and supper.    Some spent like there was no tomorrow, Some never saved a dime.  Some saved their kids from everything. Some saved but medical will eat through just about anything if you survive long enough.  Last and maybe least some saved enough and are blessed with good health.   My wife went through chemo and radiation 2 years ago.  The cost of the radaiton was shown at $1000 per minute.  I dont give a shit who you are and how well you plan, but you can't plan for that.  It's probablyup to $1700 a minute this year.  Had it not been for insurance it would have put a hell of a crimp on our finances and it was none to comfortable as it was.  Of course most of ARF uses C notes for toilet paper. Continue on .
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This one will be juicy.
View Quote
Not much going on with Gen X?   Must be too busy working.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting. My credit card statement showed my credit rating and the credit ratings of other age groups. It was a perfect trend line up, with the oldest group shown (Including boomers) having the highest credit rating.
View Quote
credit score doesnt mean shit wrt financial health
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
They probably want their student loans forgiven as well...
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#28]
It would be interesting to plot the rise in average health care costs against those charts. What you'd probably find is that the increases in health care costs have swamped the ability of older, often fixed-income people to be able to afford. Most folks can handle the "average" .gov target of 1-2% per year of general inflation. Some folks can handle the actual 4-7%. What few people can afford is a 21% increase per year in the one budget item that is known to increase its percentage of the budget they had planned for - health care. Keep in mind that most companies' (and many public-sector) workers don't get retiree medical coverage. So, they become entirely dependent on Medi(S)care.

My observation of older folks 60-75 is that they worked, they saved, paid off their houses, cars, etc. and now can't afford to live the lifestyle they'd planned for because of medical bills. Sad. But, that's what happens when you let the .gov effectively take over the health care industry and destroy the ability to control costs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They probably want their student loans forgiven as well...
View Quote
Only if they are crippled.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh Noes!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Imagine that. Idiots Boomers can’t manage money
View Quote
Fixed! It will get worse, they do not teach personal finance or how to do a budget.

They teach get loans and improve your credit score and have for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#32]
At lot of them believed the promised great retirement and health care plan the company they worked decades for told them. Then they got screwed and had minimal  personal savings,no 401K and large medical expenses.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, I knew a few like that. Mostly due to medical bills from a deceased spouse.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a couple who both went bankrupt from medical bills after they each had cancer.
The man is on disability, since he can't work.
Some of you should really hate them.
Of course, neither one is quite old enough to be part of the dreaded "boomer" generation so I assume they get a pass.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Fixed! It will get worse, they do not teach personal finance or how to do a budget.

They teach get loans and improve your credit score and have for a long time.
View Quote
Boomers didn’t go through a Great Depression like that of their parents. Therefore, they largely have no concept of how to manage money when things go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My moms about to declare bankruptcy. Her house is worth about 40k, she owes 63 on it. She has no savings and lives on 1100 a month SS. She has cancer and a host of other medical issues. She is moving in with my wife and I as living with my sister has turned into a nightmare.

She had no plan for retirement other than SS. None, nada, nothing.
View Quote
My parents are the same

$2800 a month SS and they thought that would be enough.

They did a reverse mortgage since their house was paid off to take care of most of it.

Sucks the house I grew up in will be gone when they pass, might just buy it as they only did a $90k reverse mortgage
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
at a higher rate than old folks of yesteryear

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/business/bankruptcy-older-americans.html

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/265139/boomer_menace-631401.JPG
Not only are more older people seeking relief through bankruptcy, but they also represent a widening slice of all filers: 12.2 percent of filers are now 65 or older, up from 2.1 percent in 1991.

The jump is so pronounced, the study says, that the aging of the baby boom generation cannot explain it.
View Quote
Lots of interesting data at the link

What's coming down the pike?
View Quote
wish there was a gender breakdown
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ive always jokingly said most families are 1 serious medical situation away from bankruptcy.
And many took huge hits to retirement funds when 2008-09 real estate /  market crashed so hard.

And its not just the Boomers. Id guess most age groups bankruptcy filings are increasing. People don't save anymore. Spend, spend, spend.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

Had I not paid the $10k after my MIL passed they would be a lean on their property as they had no savings.

My FIL makes only $1100 in SS
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Imagine that. Boomers can't manage money
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm a boomer and handle money very well.
And I don't personally know anyone that has filed bankruptcy.
And bankruptcy laws have also changed over the years and getting out of that financial vice grip is not as easy as it once was.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
At lot of them believed the promised great retirement and health care plan the company they worked decades for told them. Then they got screwed and had minimal  personal savings,no 401K and large medical expenses.
View Quote
To be fair many employers didn’t offer 401k until relatively recently.
My Dad retired in 1992. His employer never offered them.

Medical expenses are a stone cold bitch. These sink a lot of people.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Boomer checking in here.  
It's sad to see someone in their 60s/70s in bankruptcy, but it's usually the result of poor choices they made in their younger years, such as:
- Chose not to save money for retirement.  Blew their cash on things like new vehicles, credit cards, fancy vacations.  
- Chose not to get an education.  College and trade schools were available, cheap and/or free.
- Chose to get married too early and/or too frequently.  
- Chose to get divorced.  
- Chose to have kids they couldn't afford to raise.  
- Chose not to move/relocate for a better job.  
- Chose to take an easy, low-paying job rather than work hard.  
- Chose destructive habits, such as weed, alcohol, tobacco.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

When a snake bite is over $250,000 it means your million dollar nest egg doesn't go very far.

A cancer, whatever, can tear up a 401K in an instant.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I have seen. Medical costs are skyrocketing to a stupid extent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Despite many of the comments here, I tend to think it is medical bills. Medical insurance is expensive enough and I am not near retirement! I can only imagine insurance  at 65+ has to super expensive to purchase and the way the system is set up, even with solid insurance you can still end up with with a few bills that can eat your retirement up very quickly.

No one foresaw the clusterfuck that is Obamacare.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
derp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
derp
He isn't wrong.

BTW i'm not a boomy or a snowflake generation
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don’t know if I agree with that. They spent the last 50 years working, paying into crap they were forced to pay into just so corrupt assholes could raid the piggy bank with no consequences. Now they want their money. I’d want my money too.
View Quote
In part this, I was forced like everyone else to pay for mignight basketball and other stupid shit.

I will also concede that there are a number of boomers that don't give a shit how much debt they leave their kids and grand kids and they suck.

I am not a very popular person at my high school reunions since a couple of years back when I told a number of my classmates that the best thing they could do for their wonderful grandchildren is die.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Leaving a giant pile of debt for someone else to pay off is what baby boomers do best.
View Quote
Actually it started a lot further back than that. The Greatest Generation were no prizes. Stop blaming the boomers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still can't believe that some old folks don't carry supplement insurance.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as many non old folks are to dumb to carry disability insurance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This one will be juicy.
View Quote
Yep, GenX generation is best generation!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top