Big black length
View Quote

pages?
You fell for the myth. And didn't own pp2. Loser. X2
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's odd to me we keep seeing the exact same manifest on the net, I'm pretty sure I've seen it on other handwritten sources (nothing that old, though).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's odd to me we keep seeing the exact same manifest on the net, I'm pretty sure I've seen it on other handwritten sources (nothing that old, though).

The source cited from the wiki page on "barrel" just mentions pre-1859 manifests without citing any specific primary source.

However, while Ida Tarbell’s controversial 1904 History of Standard Oil Company acknowledged the “holy blue barrel,” the abbreviation “bbl” had been in use before the 1859 birth of the petroleum industry. In the early 19th century, wooden barrels of all capacities were common containers of trade: hogsheads, puncheons, tierces, butts, tuns, and other long since forgotten terms.

Shipping manifests reveal that quantities of honey, rum, whale oil, and other commodities were shipped by the “bbl” – well before John D. Rockefeller and Standard Oil’s blue barrels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Please site an example of bbl used prior to 1872.
View Quote

Just looking around the web, Here is a 1795 example:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. I thought it meant "bull barrel."
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's something that people find interesting. That's sufficient for people to talk about it. It doesn't need to matter beyond that threshold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It matters inasmuch as it's an interesting conversation to have. You're welcome to not participate.

Ahhh, but I am participating, and offered a response.  So, what DOES it matter? Participate, please.

It's something that people find interesting. That's sufficient for people to talk about it. It doesn't need to matter beyond that threshold.

The thread is in the General Discussion forum bearing a very clear and concise title. Why are you people even reading it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
It’s an acronym for a specific unit of volume measurement that is irrelevant to the context of firearms and is favored by lazy individuals who can’t take the extra 0.4 microseconds to fully type out “barrel.”
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Origin it's not "blue barrel", it's for "1 Barrel of Petroleum oil" (42 gallons).

Drum is the 55 gallon, has nothing to do with color so it seems.
View Quote

For being a moderator, you don't really do this arfcom thing very well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where the hell did this come from?
View Quote

We'll have bbl call you
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I like it, it's a quick and easy way to instantly tell you're dealing with a Fudd.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuckin GD. Where grown men will argue about anything.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:14:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Origin it's not "blue barrel", it's for "1 Barrel of Petroleum oil" (42 gallons).

Drum is the 55 gallon, has nothing to do with color so it seems.

Well. I bet he has brass balls
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I agree with OP.  Something's wrong here.
View Quote

That second b really drives me insane. Subconciously I pronounce it babarrel everytime I see the abbreviation.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I would bet on it being "British barrel", as in denoting a unit in the British measure system, and not just any old barrel. If it's not "British" it's some other word denoting the standard measure as opposed to an actual barrel.

But that's a hunch. I got no source.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I think Bohr is on to something.  It has to do with the early days of firearms.  I read somewhere maybe 40-50 years ago (Sweet Jeebus...) "bbl" is "bored barrel length" and had to do with cannon or rifle barrels (bbls) only being bored a certain length then just open tubing, something like that.

ETA:  I googled "bored barrel length" and something about shotguns and "back bored barrels" came up first.  Not sure it's relevant, though.  It's not, "bored barrel length" is British and refers to the portions of the barrel that have rifling (rifle & cannon).
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Because BL (bale) was already taken.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because BL (bale) was already taken.
View Quote

I think I saw that somewhere in my googling last night.

Problem is, I haven't seen it used in context yet (like on a cargo manifest). But, that could definitely explain it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since before any of us were born.

Oil is priced by the bbl. It isn't that big of a stretch to be honest with ya.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought it was Butt Barrel, as in what size of barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
In electrical engineering we use 'i' for current because 'c' is taken by capacitance. Then had to use 'j' instead of 'i' for imaginary numbers. Sometimes you just have to use what's available. As long as everyone agrees it works fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it as dumb as finance and sales guys using "mm" for million? I read it as muh-million.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like it, it's a quick and easy way to instantly tell you're dealing with a Fudd.
View Quote

Its also a quick and easy way to identify those with no knowledge of accepted / standard firearms terminology
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought it was Butt Barrel, as in what size of barrel.
View Quote
This would be my assumption too.
eta: although a Barrique would be closer in size to what we currently use for oil. But that doesn't mean it hasn't changed over time.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Problem is, I haven't seen it used in context yet (like on a carbo manifest). But, that could definitely explain it.
View Quote

Yes, but they still could've used "brl", instead of injecting an additional 'b' that isn't in the word itself.

I think the actual origins are probably one of those things lost to time - especially given how ubiquitous it became, most people back then never thought about it much at all once it became the norm.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread is just another example of aspie Arfcommers refusing to accept that things, words, laws, regulations, etc. don’t have to make any sense.

We live in an imperfect world, and the sooner you reconcile yourself to this fact the less you will care happier you will be.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is anyone going to own pp2?
View Quote

Should be bb2
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, but they still could've used "brl", instead of injecting an additional 'b' that isn't in the word itself.

I think the actual origins are probably one of those things lost to time - especially given how ubiquitous it became, most people back then never thought about it much at all once it became the norm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is, I haven't seen it used in context yet (like on a carbo manifest). But, that could definitely explain it.

A lot of old abbreviations seem add letters that aren't there in the word. It was about establishing a recognizable shorthand, not just removing letters.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Smart guy who:

1) Wanted to save ink or pencil lead
2) energy
3) keystrokes
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#33]
As I ponder this, I'm inclined to favor the "plural" hypothesis.

The "pp" above, for "pages," is a great example, as are archaic academic titles like "LL.D."

Its use even as a singular probably came later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is also 42 US gallons.

1 BBL=42 US Gallons

View Quote

Original firearms 'barrels" were in fact made by coopers, because it was the same method of construction. Staves with hoops.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top