BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
147 HST.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Gold Dot 124gr +P IMO is outstanding, IMO.

ETA: I’m issued ammo in a department that has its fair share of shootings over the years.  The above load has performed admirably for years.  Two years ago we switched to. Ranger 147gr bonded.  After a handful of shootings, all I can say is that it’s inconsistent.  Some work fine, some have shown extreme over penetration with COM hits, and pretty much intact bullets recovered with no expansion whatsoever.  I held on to my issued Gold Dots, and switched my duty and off duty guns back to those.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
HST in 124gr flavor.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry (and hand load) 147gr HST. Period.
View Quote

this is all I carry, except when I carry my .45, then its 230 HSTs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Flite Control 00
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

*Hydra-Shok.

*Hydra-Shok

If you guys are going to make a recommendation to someone, you should at least get the name right.
View Quote

Thank you for your deep and incisively contributory post.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
HST, 147gr for me
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gold Dot 124gr +P IMO is outstanding, IMO.

ETA: I'm issued ammo in a department that has its fair share of shootings over the years.  The above load has performed admirably for years.  Two years ago we switched to. Ranger 147gr bonded.  After a handful of shootings, all I can say is that it's inconsistent.  Some work fine, some have shown extreme over penetration with COM hits, and pretty much intact bullets recovered with no expansion whatsoever.  I held on to my issued Gold Dots, and switched my duty and off duty guns back to those.
View Quote
Been carrying 124gr +P gold dots for 10+yrs

Thank God I've never had to use them
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Hornady at 135 has never done me wrong
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I like non +p 124gr HSTs in subcompacts like the P365 and 147gr HSTs in longer barrels.

-Mike
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like Gold Dot 124+P personally. I found them to be QUITE hot. So I've had those since forever.

I'd not feel undergunned with HST though.
View Quote

This here. And I've found Winchester 9mm NATO makes a good combination with it for practice ammo. Shoots and recoils exactly the same. Not the absolute cheapest as far as plinking ammo, but cheap enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone mentioned federal's HST ammo? Because I feel like federal's HST ammo at least deserves a mention...
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot or G2
Federal HST
Winchester Ranger or Ranger One

Hornady Duty

Pick one and go.
View Quote

These, though the others have excellent reputations as well.  HST's are what I carry and if I could get them, Winchester Ranger T series.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
HST or GoldDot 124gr or 147gr
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like they may as well quit making 147gr Golden Saber since I seem to be the only one using it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whatever the cheapest reloads at your local gunshow are. Those.
View Quote

Old guy usually has “Flame Throwers” loaded “to the top” with mil-spec” surplus powder he got by the barrel decades ago surplus from Uncle Sam, topped with genuine surplus 9mm tracers he drills out to make hollow points & compresses into position & crimped, just a $1 around during the shortage years.

He recommends using his high quality loads only in tough enough to take it guns like Ruger Blackhawk Convertibles, HKs, & Glocks. If the flames don’t convince you of the power, the recoil will, on par with 357 magnums!

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
115gr +P FMJ
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Any HP from a reputable manufacturer will do fine.  No handgun ammo is ideal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Old guy usually has “Flame Throwers” loaded “to the top” with mil-spec” surplus powder he got by the barrel decades ago surplus from Uncle Sam, topped with genuine surplus 9mm tracers he drills out to make hollow points & compresses into position & crimped, just a $1 around during the shortage years.

He recommends using his high quality loads only in tough enough to take it guns like Ruger Blackhawk Convertibles, HKs, & Glocks. If the flames don’t convince you of the power, the recoil will, on par with 357 magnums!

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Right now,i have Sig V-Crown 124 gr. in my pistol.
It has been very accurate.
Lucky Gunner Labs has some
good tests online.
View Quote

I’ve had to put down big javelina attacking my dogs. Each case both large males…

124gr gold dot penetrated the shoulder bone and dead right there. One shot, one kill.

Sig 124 gr imbedded in the shoulder and fell out on the ground when it ran off.

Switched back to gold dots.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Barrel length. OP is running a four-inch barrel, so he can shoot just about any JHP and get good expansion.

I've seen gel tests done where some 147gr loads didn't want to expand after being shot out of a micro like, say, a P365.

ETA that as one user said, certain guns don't play nice with certain ammo. Remember how older 1911s didn't like hollow-point ammo?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does what you’re shooting it out of matter?

Barrel length. OP is running a four-inch barrel, so he can shoot just about any JHP and get good expansion.

I've seen gel tests done where some 147gr loads didn't want to expand after being shot out of a micro like, say, a P365.

ETA that as one user said, certain guns don't play nice with certain ammo. Remember how older 1911s didn't like hollow-point ammo?

It’s all good… though skimming the thread it looks like every load regardless of barrel length up to PCC style - props for the +P+ mention! - has been suggested.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Sig Elite might not be perfectly optimized, but it’s cheap enough that you can afford to practice.

I’d rather take a round I can hit with than one which will expand into 6 perfect copper petals in the tree 3 feet to his left.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#23]
OST
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sig Elite might not be perfectly optimized, but it’s cheap enough that you can afford to practice.

I’d rather take a round I can hit with than one which will expand into 6 perfect copper petals in the tree 3 feet to his left.
View Quote

I've never noticed a big enough difference between the cheapest steal cased shit vs my preferred carry round to make much of a difference.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Hst
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Federal HST or what your local cops carry.
View Quote

This ! I carry 124 gr Federal HST +P in my CZ P07. Its good stuff .
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Federal HST 147grain for me
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
BlackTalons!
View Quote

I can’t tell what’s satire and what’s not anymore.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Black Talons or Hydroshocks have been my carry ammo for a long time.
View Quote

Both of these were cutting edge performance when introduced three decades ago.  They have since been eclipsed by modern designs and suffer relatively mediocre and inconsistent performance in comparison.

I’m personally witnessed 124gr Hydra-Shok fail to expand twice under nearly ideal conditions.

Dump the meme ammunition and just get some HST or Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...or what your local cops carry.
View Quote
This is sound advice. That would give you a good argument against a prosecutor trying to say you choose the "deadliest" boolits available because you wanted to kill.

But, Speed Gold Dot is top shelf, along with the Barnes XPB loads.  The new stuff from LeHigh Defense looks very promising and I'll likely choose that round the next time I'm upgrading my self-defense ammunition.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Best JHP: HST, Golden Saber, Gold Dot, Hornady critical defense. Probably a few others, but these are the ones I remember. Weight preference is dependent on pistol and bullet, but I lean towards 124gr.

Reality: 9mm is 9mm. JHP is typically better than FMJ, but it’s a minute difference. Target won’t know the difference, and shot placement matters more.

I’ve done a little backwoods testing with PMC, PPU, and S&B, they work well enough that the price difference is more important, since it allows me to train and carry the same ammo. They’re not as consistent as the rounds listed at the top, but to be frank, if I’m shooting something, I’m shooting it enough times that at least a few of those bullets are going to expand, and all I care about is putting a hole where something vital used to be. Bigger hole is better, but it’s not as big a priority as simply adding more holes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is sound advice. That would give you a good argument against a prosecutor trying to say you choose the "deadliest" boolits available because you wanted to kill.

But, Speed Gold Dot is top shelf, along with the Barnes XPB loads.  The new stuff from LeHigh Defense looks very promising and I'll likely choose that round the next time I'm upgrading my self-defense ammunition.
View Quote

Has that ever been an argument in an American courtroom in legal history?

Like ever?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#35]
From my gel testing

Hornady Critical Defense and American Gunner 124gr penetrate just fine and both expand pretty much the same. Oddly the JHPs out of my buddies 10mm are almost identical when you see them sitting on the table next to each other. Penetration was similar. I expected significantly more out of the 10mm.

The Lehigh extreme penetrator penetrated fine, had a decent temporary cavity as seen on the high speed but little to no permanent cavity. The recovered bullet hardly looks fired.

Montana Gold JHP 124gr was pretty disappointing. It shed the jacket but basically no expansion of the core. Penetrated further than the Hornady stuff that did expand. No surprise there.

Whatever aluminum case (CCI?) Stuff I use for 44spl expands beautifully, looks pretty and actually penetrated respectfully from a 2" barrel. Do NOT want to get hit by those.

Just my observations.

9mm was shot from an Arcus 94c, basicallyFroma short slide HiPower and the 44spl from a S&W 624
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I carry Hornaday Critical Defense or Critical Duty in my Sig 365xl and Glock 19.
Girl friend likes Gold Dots in her 43x.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
From my gel testing

Hornady Critical Defense and American Gunner 124gr penetrate just fine and both expand pretty much the same. Oddly the JHPs out of my buddies 10mm are almost identical when you see them sitting on the table next to each other. Penetration was similar. I expected significantly more out of the 10mm.

The Lehigh extreme penetrator penetrated fine, had a decent temporary cavity as seen on the high speed but little to no permanent cavity. The recovered bullet hardly looks fired.

Montana Gold JHP 124gr was pretty disappointing. It shed the jacket but basically no expansion of the core. Penetrated further than the Hornady stuff that did expand. No surprise there.

Whatever aluminum case (CCI?) Stuff I use for 44spl expands beautifully, looks pretty and actually penetrated respectfully from a 2" barrel. Do NOT want to get hit by those.

Just my observations.
View Quote

Montana Gold JHP is made for Open Guns, not carry guns.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Montana Gold JHP is made for Open Guns, not carry guns.
View Quote

Yup, and still a JHP so we tested it along with other 9mm projectiles. Did testing with 10mm, 6mm ARC, 8.6BLK subs that expand to crazy flowers, 22LR, 7.62x25 JHPs from an 8" AR, and 44spl that outing. I think we had some XTPs out there too but I don't remember what caliber.

I didn't want to use up any of my .2215 Vmax so I didn't try any of those that day either.

We probably put 100 rounds into gel that day. Got slow mo footage of most of the shots fired which was sketchy. Glad my shooting buddy is one I trust my life with.

All shots were at 7 yards from the muzzle to gel. Some exited and could not be recovered.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned federal's HST ammo? Because I feel like federal's HST ammo at least deserves a mention...
View Quote

There is always one guy who wants to use some obscure and unproven round
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Do your own research.

Go find shooting the bull on youtube.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Like ever?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like ever?

The walking, talking, sack of shit Thomas Clair Binger tried to make FMJ bullets an issue in the Rittenhouse trial.

He said they were designed to penetrate the first person and continue on to injure more.

Fuck you, Binger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I carry 147gr HST

But Gold Dots work well too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Critical duty 135grn +p, the FBI load.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Both of these were cutting edge performance when introduced three decades ago.  They have since been eclipsed by modern designs and suffer relatively mediocre and inconsistent performance in comparison.

I’m personally witnessed 124gr Hydra-Shok fail to expand twice under nearly ideal conditions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Talons or Hydroshocks have been my carry ammo for a long time.

The only good hydrashoks are .357s
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got a bunch of HSTs on sale before prices got stupid. They are gtg, as are gold dots and probably a few others mentioned I assume. Don't overthink it op, the difference between the top ones is negligible.
View Quote
I just looked at a receipt I had from Target Sports USA.  HST from 2019 was $430 shipped for a case.  After that, I bought even more, thinking something would likely happen and drive the price up.  I sold a bunch during the latter part of 2020 for a huge markup.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
P9HST2.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Like ever?
View Quote
After watching the prosecution of Kyle Rittenhouse, how can you doubt that it wouldn't be on the table?  And while not in America...
"It hits the target, it opens up, it creates six talons, and these talons are sharp," Mangena said. "It cuts through the organs of a human being."
-SAPS ballistics expert, Captain Chris Mangena, testifying about the use of "Black Talon" ammunition in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:26:51 AM EDT
[#48]
124 or 147 gr Gold dot or HST
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#49]
147 gr HST for all the barrel lengths, micro too!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
From DocGKR, who used to post here until the retardation in the tech subforums ran him off:

While this list is from 2016, it really hasn't changed. I prefer HST; 147 or 124+P.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From DocGKR, who used to post here until the retardation in the tech subforums ran him off:

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
Remington Golden Saber bonded 124 gr +P JHP (GSB9MMD)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester 124 gr +P bonded JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P PT
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Speer G2 147 gr PT
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Hornady Critical Duty 220 gr +P JHP
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

While this list is from 2016, it really hasn't changed. I prefer HST; 147 or 124+P.

Oh damn, you read my mind, I just went over and copied that, to paste it here.  Well done.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top