Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Fuck no. Mk IV lite all day long. My SR22 is such a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Fuck no. Mk IV all day long. My SR22 is such a piece of shit.
View Quote
Strange to hear considering the reviews about it's reliability.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The m&p is like $350 brand new and comes threaded. Why would you even look at anything else?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck no. Mk IV all day long. My SR22 is such a piece of shit.
Maybe I just got unlucky. I haven't shot that piece of shit in years because I hate it so much, but I can't bring myself to scam someone else by selling it to them. Maybe I should send it back to Ruger and have them look at it.

I love my Mk IV lite though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They don't share the same barrel setup?
View Quote
No. The Lite's have a slim barrel with an aluminum shroud. You can see it in the pictures.

I would agree that they are not as accurate as the heavy barreled guns, but still plenty accurate... and very light.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe I just got unlucky. I haven't shot that piece of shit in years because I hate it so much, but I can't bring myself to scam someone else by selling it to them. Maybe I should send it back to Ruger and have them look at it.

I love my Mk IV lite though.
View Quote
Send it to Ruger. There was issues years ago with them and Ruger has made it right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No. The Lite's have a slim barrel with an aluminum shroud. You can see it in the pictures.

I would agree that they are not as accurate as the heavy barreled guns, but still plenty accurate... and very light.
View Quote
Yeah, just read they epoxy in the barrel nut. Thanks for pointing that out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
.22 hosts I own...
P22
S&W 422
Ruger Lite
Browning Buckmark
TX 22

I like them all. But I love the 422.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They don't share the same barrel setup?
View Quote
No, the Lite has a stainless tensioned barrel in an aluminum housing.  The bull barreled version is a solid barrel with threads cut in the end.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's odd.
I gave my Buckmark to my son and kept my MKII and MKIII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close.  Buckmark is so superior to the Ruger, that's it's not even a contest to anyone who has owned both.
That's odd.
I gave my Buckmark to my son and kept my MKII and MKIII.
Even odder, my son hated the Buckmark. All three Ruger MK pistols got much love. Buckmark go bye bye.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not even close.  Buckmark is so superior to the Ruger, that's it's not even a contest to anyone who has owned both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First post again.
I have both. While I agree with you that the Buckmark is by far the better gun... I’m a hell of a lot more accurate with my Mk I. I don’t understand it, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Did yours come threaded?  Mine is the same color w/ same serrations, but was a CA compliant that wasn’t threaded and just a pop off protector. Was wondering if you were able to get Ruger to replace the front cap if it wasn’t threaded. Listing had said threaded when I bought it and honestly never checked as I didn’t have a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Taurus sleeper. Put around 100 flawless suppressed rounds through it yesterday. Kinda fullsize though, but can be had with 16 round mags with plus 3 extensions. Actually striker fired too.

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
" />

CP33  Farrow adapter with Tailhook.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
" />

Stock.collapsed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the MkIV 22/45 tactical. Stupid easy, replicates 45. The tac model is heavy though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger Mark IV for the target-style.

Walther PPK/S in .22 for the sleeker, smaller style.  You will need an adapter, but the barrel is threaded...
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My P22 never fails.  I did go through it with the P22 bible, but it was more about learning than it needing to be tuned.
View Quote
@6172crew

What is this P22 bible you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a mosquito
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure those Ruger's work well but damn I think they are ugly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]
CP33.
I just got mine, something like $469 before tax.
Have not tried it with a suppressor yet.
Magazines are a bit of a pain to fill up all the way.  
Also not sure what red dot sight/red dot type of sight I will buy for it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Out of the box, the Smith Victory is the best .22 threaded with no work needed past removing the mag safety.

However, a Ruger Mark IV with full Volquarsten Competition kit installed will eat it's lunch. https://volquartsen.com/products/1293-pistol-competition-kit-for-mk-iv
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Out of the box, the Smith Victory is the best .22 threaded with no work needed past removing the mag safety.

However, a Ruger Mark IV with full Volquarsten Competition kit installed will eat it's lunch. https://volquartsen.com/products/1293-pistol-competition-kit-for-mk-iv
View Quote
I'll freely concede that I have looked at the Victory model's specs and been tempted by it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't you just buy an aftermarket threaded barrel/upper from someone like Volquartsen or the like? Swap it out as needed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can't you just buy an aftermarket threaded barrel/upper from someone like Volquartsen or the like? Swap it out as needed.
View Quote
The upper on a MKII is the serialed part.

If I have to fill out a 4473 I might as well get a new gun. Right?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests...I have a Osprey Micro that needs a host...what is the hives opinion on the Ruger SR22..is it better than the M&P22?
View Quote
No experience with the M&P but the SR-22 is a really great gun to suppress.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No experience with the M&P but the SR-22 is a really great gun to suppress.
View Quote
Thanks for the input....I'm going to have to go handle one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ruger Mark IV for the target-style.

Walther PPK/S in .22 for the sleeker, smaller style.  You will need an adapter, but the barrel is threaded...
View Quote
had to chime in.  bought a Walther PPK/S .22 for my wife to plink with a while back.  beautiful little gun.  got the "stainless" finish.  looks good.  feels great in the hand.  but the double-action trigger is absolute GARBAGE!  single-action is ok, not great, but ok.  double-action is ridiculously heavy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I believe I read the Buckmarks are difficult to disassemble. Any buckmark owners want to chime in?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Taurus sleeper. Put around 100 flawless suppressed rounds through it yesterday. Kinda fullsize though, but can be had with 16 round mags with plus 3 extensions. Actually striker fired too.

https://i.imgur.com/g6rO2V2.jpg
View Quote
Do you have tubes for those long brakes?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Has any one mentioned the Mark IV 22/45????  

I like mine quite a bit.

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had a 22/45 for years and it's a champ. However, I've since gotten into suppressors and I got a TX22 a month ago and it's simply superb. I've had a handful of Taurus guns, including a PT92 that was a turd, but all others have been great.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Alright, so, changing directions:

There's an M&P Compact for sale on the internets. It's a bit of a drive but it's a good price with extra mags, etc.

From what I read online the magazine safety can be removed and the trigger can be slicked up, fairly simply. Should I just go get that instead? It's threaded and has the adapter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
First post again.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
First post again.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Kel Tec CP33

32 round magazine full of 22lr goodness.  Shoots great!

You can even put a brace on it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
What makes you say that?

The Buckmark is a fine pistol (it's my favorite among my .22 rimfires), but it has one HUGE flaw in my book:  it cannot be dry fired safely.   And I like to use dry fire as a no-cost training tool, so that means the Buckmark doesn't get much off-range practice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Alright, so, changing directions:

There's an M&P Compact for sale on the internets. It's a bit of a drive but it's a good price with extra mags, etc.

From what I read online the magazine safety can be removed and the trigger can be slicked up, fairly simply. Should I just go get that instead? It's threaded and has the adapter.
View Quote
I have one and it has always been 100% reliable. Suppresses well. The mag safety is easily removed. The trigger pull can be improved somewhat as it is actually hammer fired (internal), but go easy on the polishing. Pretty sure there are MIM parts involved  and it wouldnt take much to ruin those parts with a heavy hand.

It's not the most accurate .22 semi auto pistol I own, but it works and is fun. If you want a great trigger, get a Ruger MK of some flavor and install a Volquartzen trigger system in it. I have a MK III 22/45 lite set up so and the trigger  is awesome.  Deleted the LCI and mag Safety and had to polish a lip off of the feed ramp, but that little gun is the shit now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you want a great trigger, get a Ruger MK of some flavor and install a Volquartzen trigger system in it.
View Quote
I believe that my current MKII has a Volq trigger. I bought it 15+ years ago. I was working in the area and stopped at lunch at a convenience/ sporting goods store to grab lunch. It had some finish issues but an obviously aftermarket trigger so I asked to see it. One dry fire and I got out my wallet and paid the asking price of $200.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Ruger 22/45 or any of that line will serve you well.  I got mine in 1995 and had it threaded.  Still runs great, barely clean it.  I would contend that the biggest gripe is the 10 round mags, which lead me to throw the CP33 into the mix.  Early reviews are positive, but it's still a Keltec.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ruger 22/45 or any of that line will serve you well.  I got mine in 1995 and had it threaded.  Still runs great, barely clean it.  I would contend that the biggest gripe is the 10 round mags, which lead me to throw the CP33 into the mix.  Early reviews are positive, but it's still a Keltec.  
View Quote
I have been shooting Ruger MKIIs since I was old enough to hold a handgun. My grandpa had several of them. It never crossed my mind that 10 rounds was insufficient.

When I was a kid we would often drive off towards where one of the rural roads crossed the river near grandpa's house. We'd stop and pick up beer cans, or, gasp, old cardboard motor oil cans, on the way to the river. You could drop a rock or two (from the road itself) in a beer can, toss it upstream of the bridge, and when it floated out from under the bridge, we'd start shooting at it (from the bridge).

In the winter when everything was frozen over we knew of a particular bridge over an almost still pool of water with a huge sweetgum tree.

The sweetgum balls would freeze on the water's surface and we'd shoot them out of the ice. That was probably much more environmentally friendly than shooting cans.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I believe I read the Buckmarks are difficult to disassemble. Any buckmark owners want to chime in?
View Quote
Buckmarks have two major design problems. First, they are not designed to be field stripped for cleaning. Cleaning procedure is not to disassemble. If you have malfunctions and have to disassemble, you have to pull two screws to remove the top strap with rear sight attached. You don’t want to do that very often.

Second design problem is the Buckmark does not have a proper firing pin stop. The firing pin will hit the breach face. I thought the don’t dry fire your 22 rumor was a myth for modern 22 pistol and rifle. That is until I bought a Buckmark.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I believe that my current MKII has a Volq trigger. I bought it 15+ years ago. I was working in the area and stopped at lunch at a convenience/ sporting goods store to grab lunch. It had some finish issues but an obviously aftermarket trigger so I asked to see it. One dry fire and I got out my wallet and paid the asking price of $200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want a great trigger, get a Ruger MK of some flavor and install a Volquartzen trigger system in it.
It's amazing what a difference it makes. When I first bought it, it had a terrible trigger, and was a jammomatic no matter what ammo I tried. I thought I had wasted my money on that pistol. A little research told me what I needed to do. Volq trigger, sear and Exact Edge extractor. Got rid of the loaded chamber indicator and magazine Safety.  There was a small lip at the very start of the feed ramp that caught the tip of every bullet. Polished that down. The thing is now an absolute joy. One of my favorite .22s to shoot. Everyone who shoots it wants to run out and buy one until I tell them the details of why it is so sweet. Some bought one and did the mods, some didnt want to be bothered with it.

It's now the way it should have come out of the Ruger factory but didnt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Everyone who shoots it wants to run out and buy one until I tell them the details
It's now the way it should have come out of the Ruger factory but didnt.
View Quote
That describes most of the Ruger stuff I own.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What makes you say that?

The Buckmark is a fine pistol (it's my favorite among my .22 rimfires), but it has one HUGE flaw in my book:  it cannot be dry fired safely.   And I like to use dry fire as a no-cost training tool, so that means the Buckmark doesn't get much off-range practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you say that?

If you wanted to mount a suppressor on your Ruger, you had to either buy a new upper receiver, which is the serialized part, or have a gunsmith thread your barrel. On the Buckmark, the barrels are un-serialized and easily replaced.

Ruger makes factory threaded versions now, so now it's a moot point.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#49]
You can't beat the Mark IV for the price.  I don't think this is even a question.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#50]
TX22 is ok for mimicking a carry gun.  Lighter, much more ergonomic and nicer trigger too.

You can get a much more realistic .22 copy of most pistols but the TX was just so nice to shoot I couldn’t go that route.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top