Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
This video is a year old, but watch a short portion starting at 6:16 and see the US was there then

World war 2 battle of Peleliu (Palau): how it looks today!
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

They need to make that coast guard ship a part of the reef
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

All of Asia needs to get together and sink everything that China puts to sea- all of their vessels are part of their navy in some way including the "fishing vessels".  Unfortunately they all hate each other and can't get along long enough to do what needs to be done.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
China defense minister basically ignored reporters question and said the USA needs to get the fuck out of the Pacific and finished with this

https://news.usni.org/2024/06/02/u-s-secdef-austin-chinese-mod-dong-present-divergent-visions-of-pacific-security

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4818_jpeg-3230439.JPG
View Quote

Way more bellicose language from the PRC, my Brother, and as it was pointed out before (i read what I was writing from an earlier post), this time from a high ranking PRC/CCP Official. The World is a different place. This is gospel now.

I've been checking Time and Newweek magazines for their take on the conference, and neither of them have gotten to it. Ha! No real surprise there. In about a week they'll tout the fact the Sec Austin met his counter-part in another brilliant foreign policy coup by the Biden Admin.

But we're still left with the question as to why the Chinese feel this is the time for some really tough talk. They still have never run, that I know of, a large enough scale of an exercise to simulate a major attack much less than a full scale invasion against someone that will be shooting back because they'll choose death on a battlefield rather than death through torture with hands bound behind their back before someone puts one of those pocket pistols the Chinese used to carry to end it all.

Has Taiwanese determination to resist PRC physical attacks diminished?
Has Taiwanese Society sufficiently been weakened through physical deprivation and political scandal?
Has the PRC reached a level of paying off foreign politicians to the point that they feel they can now move with impunity?
Does the CCP now believe that with Trump convicted, Biden will win the next election easily?

Don't know how the CCP sees the things that they do. I can't understand how Democrats here think the way they do either. All I can say is they both are guided by an ideology that automatically sets them up into a "tunnel vision." Show them what they need to see, and they will react in predictable meaurable ways.

What they see now is American weakness, and they are acting very predictably.

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
You know what's funny about this story?
When even the Obama Admin and come to think about it, Obama himself, stated that Chinese 'hacking and cyberattacks' were a National Emergency, The NYT was a bit behind the curve in reporting having been a victim of the Chinese getting into the Times' operations in China and then back to New York. They're still real careful what they say. Pussies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#8]
View All Quotes
We can't really be surprised at this one.

How many vessels have the Iranians taken over? Even the Houthis can do it with impunity: Yemen's Houthi rebels seize cargo ship in Red Sea

MANILA, Philippines   The China Coast Guard (CCG) has been accused of seizing and dumping overboard food and other supplies meant for Filipino troops stationed at a remote outpost in Ayungin (Second Thomas) Shoal, and allegedly obstructing a medical evacuation of ailing soldiers.

Both incidents took place on May 19, when the Philippine Navy performed an airdrop operation to bring the items to the BRP Sierra Madre, a dilapidated warship grounded in 1999 to protect Manila's claims to the shoal, according to a ranking military official, who asked not to be named for not having authority to speak to the media.

In a third incident, on May 24, the CCG used water cannons to drive away a Filipino fishing boat near the shoal, the official said.

The Inquirer source made the allegations hours after Chinese state media claimed that personnel on the Sierra Madre "pointed guns" at the CCG on the same day, May 19.

In a social media post on Sunday, China Central Television said at least two men were seen carrying guns on deck, pointing them in the direction of the CCG.

An accompanying 29-second video appeared to show a masked man momentarily holding up a blurred black object that resembled a rifle.
China Coast Guard seizes PH supplies for Ayungin | INQToday

I will leave this story here from Carmel's post as here's the title of it:
Lowy Institute survey reveals Australians distrust China and are losing faith in United States
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Whoops!!! I made a boo boo!!

Turns out that Newsweek sort of did cover the Shagnri-La Dialogue. They "updated" an older story:
US Treaty Ally Philippines Cautions China About 'Red Line'

I was going to re-edit order of the paragraphs. Pres Biden and Sec Austin are only mentioned in the very last sentence of this story.
The threshold for triggering the defense pact and drawing the U.S. into a conflict with nuclear-armed Beijing has been an increasingly hot topic among analysts in recent months. The Marcos administration's pushback against China's expansion in the disputed South China Sea has been met with a forceful response by the Chinese coast guard, whose water cannon barrages left several Philippine sailors injured in March.

Marcos added that his country and its partners would take "joint action," without naming the U.S. He pointed out that Philippine nationals had already been injured in confrontations with China but that "thank God" a fatality has not occurred.

"Once we get to that point, we would certainly have crossed the Rubicon," he added. "Is that a red line? Almost certainly it's going to be a red line."
View Quote
To their credit, Newsweek did add this part:
China asserts claims over nearly all of the South China Sea, citing historical rights. Its claims overlap with the exclusive economic zones of the Philippines as well as Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.

An international tribunal at the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration delivered a 2016 ruling that largely dismissed China's South China Sea claims. On Friday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning reiterated Bejing's position that the arbitral award "is illegal, null and void" and said "the world is not blind to the truth."
View Quote
But then they allowed the statement by Mao Ning, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, to be publisihed unchallenged in any way as if the world is blind to the truth.

Here's the last sentence of the story:
U.S. President Joe Biden and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, who met with Chinese counterpart Dong Jung on the sidelines of the summit, have both stressed that America's defense commitments to its Southeast Asian ally are "ironclad."
View Quote
"Ironclad." Carmel posted a link to what one of our allies thinks of that above.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zoinks:

Way more bellicose language from the PRC, my Brother, and as it was pointed out before (i read what I was writing from an earlier post), this time from a high ranking PRC/CCP Official. The World is a different place. This is gospel now.

I've been checking Time and Newweek magazines for their take on the conference, and neither of them have gotten to it. Ha! No real surprise there. In about a week they'll tout the fact the Sec Austin met his counter-part in another brilliant foreign policy coup by the Biden Admin.

But we're still left with the question as to why the Chinese feel this is the time for some really tough talk. They still have never run, that I know of, a large enough scale of an exercise to simulate a major attack much less than a full scale invasion against someone that will be shooting back because they'll choose death on a battlefield rather than death through torture with hands bound behind their back before someone puts one of those pocket pistols the Chinese used to carry to end it all.

Has Taiwanese Society sufficiently been weakened through physical deprivation and political scandal?
Has the PRC reached a level of paying off foreign politicians to the point that they feel they can now move with impunity?
Does the CCP now believe that with Trump convicted, Biden will win the next election easily?

Don't know how the CCP sees the things that they do. I can't understand how Democrats here think the way they do either. All I can say is they both are guided by an ideology that automatically sets them up into a "tunnel vision." Show them what they need to see, and they will react in predictable meaurable ways.

View All Quotes
China defense minister basically ignored reporters question and said the USA needs to get the fuck out of the Pacific and finished with this

https://news.usni.org/2024/06/02/u-s-secdef-austin-chinese-mod-dong-present-divergent-visions-of-pacific-security

I'd still love to see a high level DC diplomat flat-out threaten. "Invade another country and we'll redraw the geography books with a sea of glass in the middle of what's currently your country."

The West has forgotten (deliberately, intentionally, via sabotage) that force is the only language that ever truly matters. As Herbert put it, the ability to destroy a thing is the ability to control it. The corollary to that is that those who have the ability to destroy and not the will, shall lose the former after they lose the latter...followed shortly after by their own existence.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I think they have a plan to take Taiwan that won’t cost them a lot of lives or more importantly to them hardware.  We in the west always think of conventional military warfare.  I believe when China goes for Taiwan they will use vast amounts of chemical and possible biological weapons delivered by missiles throughout the island.  They can air burst tons of fentanyl over the population centers and kill a lot of the population without harming the infrastructure. Fentanyl degrades quickly by UV light, so they don’t have to wait long to go into the areas they attacked.  There is a lot more chemical weapons that have similar affect’s and are rendered safe after a short time outside.  

We think that nobody would ever do such a thing because we wouldn’t.  But China and Russia think very differently than we do.  

Here’s one scenario. EMP over Taiwan, mass chemical attack and massive ballistic missile attack on military sites. You do that 50%+ of Taiwans defenders are dead before China even gets a ship or plane in Taiwans territory.

Sure some of the world will be pissed, but those same people will be terrified it might happen to them.

lol just some random thoughts of mine. China definitely has changed its tone and it’s getting very bold.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

I'd still love to see a high level DC diplomat flat-out threaten. "Invade another country and we'll redraw the geography books with a sea of glass in the middle of what's currently your country."

The West has forgotten (deliberately, intentionally, via sabotage) that force is the only language that ever truly matters. As Herbert put it, the ability to destroy a thing is the ability to control it. The corollary to that is that those who have the ability to destroy and not the will, shall lose the former after they lose the latter...followed shortly after by their own existence.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

The only way to get to hear that language is to be part of the meeting/negotiation.

If you've ever heard diplomats describe a meeting as "frank and earnest", rest assured that some nasty language flew across the table, but they found a path to move forward.

On the other hand, if you hear the description of talks stopping due to an "immediate call back for consultations" or "technical difficulties", some language that suggests a small time out, you can pretty much bet that things are going 'South' pretty damn fast for one side or the other and some language similar to your example was used.

As Herbert put it, the ability to destroy a thing is the ability to control it.
This is in reference to the guy that wrote Dune, right? Your last sentence is absolutely correct, and to borrow a line from another book, Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton, "War is a matter of Will."
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

I think they have a plan to take Taiwan that won't cost them a lot of lives or more importantly to them hardware.  We in the west always think of conventional military warfare.  I believe when China goes for Taiwan they will use vast amounts of chemical and possible biological weapons delivered by missiles throughout the island.  They can air burst tons of fentanyl over the population centers and kill a lot of the population without harming the infrastructure. Fentanyl degrades quickly by UV light, so they don't have to wait long to go into the areas they attacked.  There is a lot more chemical weapons that have similar affect's and are rendered safe after a short time outside.  

We think that nobody would ever do such a thing because we wouldn't.  But China and Russia think very differently than we do.  

Here's one scenario. EMP over Taiwan, mass chemical attack and massive ballistic missile attack on military sites. You do that 50%+ of Taiwans defenders are dead before China even gets a ship or plane in Taiwans territory.

Sure some of the world will be pissed, but those same people will be terrified it might happen to them.

lol just some random thoughts of mine. China definitely has changed its tone and it's getting very bold.
View Quote
We covered something similar along these lines some pages ago, except we settled on a specific type of fungus that's only found in two parts two parts of the World: China and Indonesia. A microscope-sized amount is enough to kill, but if you do survive, you'll need organ transplants.

I'm very positive that the PRC has "gamed" everything up in your post and probably a number of things that we couldn't even think of.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Here are the highlights:
The U.S., Japan and South Korea announced on Sunday that they will conduct the first iteration of a trilateral multidomain exercise called Freedom Edge this summer following a trilateral ministerial meeting

between the defense chiefs of the three countries in Singapore.

The United States-Japan-Republic of Korea Trilateral Ministerial Meeting (TMM) convened by U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III, Japan Minister of Defense Minoru Kihara Minoru,

and South Korea Minister of National Defense Shin Won-sik

was held on the sidelines of the International Institute of Strategic Studies Shangri-La Dialogue 2024

where the three defense chiefs discussed shared regional security concerns, reviewed the implementation of trilateral security cooperation lines of effort presented at the Aug. 18 2023 Camp David Summit,

discussed new initiatives to strengthen and institutionalize trilateral security cooperation to contribute to peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula, in the Indo-Pacific region and beyond,

according to a joint statement by the three countries.
I tried to break up "the wall of text."
The release also stated that the three defense chiefs decided to conduct a trilateral tabletop exercise to discuss how to effectively deter and respond, based on various threats on the Korean Peninsula and in the Indo-Pacific region.

The three defense chiefs reaffirmed commitments such as strengthenng trilateral security cooperation to deter nuclear and missile threats posed by North Korea and to achieve the complete denuclearization of the DPRK in accordance with relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions (UNSCRs), to achieve the complete denuclearization of the DPRK.

North Korea was condemned by the three defense chiefs for....
It was too much of a run on sentence to deal with. Suffice to say, Best Korea is condemned because they're asking to be.
The three chiefs also recognized that Russia's actions against Ukraine are a serious violation of the principles of territorial integrity and sovereignty that undermine the fabric of the international order.

The three chiefs, according to the statement, recalled their respective positions regarding the dangerous and aggressive behavior by the People's Republic of China (PRC) supporting unlawful maritime claims that they have recently witnessed in the South China Sea.
"They shared concerns about actions that are inconsistent with international law as reflected in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). They stressed the importance of fully respecting international law including the freedom of navigation and overflight," reads the statement.
Okay then! I don't ever remember a USNI article that wild grammatically. I don't think any of us are English Majors, and it was tough stuff to decode!!

The important part or the jist of it all is that, probably after Pride month because first things are first, another exercise staring the US, Japan and South Korea will begin, and as always, it'll make any PLA exercise look like Jerry's Kids with broom sticks. That would be the point of it all.

"Multi-domain= air, space, under the water: all of our major exercises are this. Using a word like Multi-domain is just rubbing PLA noses in it for running 46 aircraft and 19 ships in the area the size of Mississippi and being impressed with yourself!!

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Because of the anniversary of Tianamen Square today, I guess Propaganda Friday starts early. At least that's what it looks like so far.

China has a response to the story Carmel orginally posted:
China lambasts call by US, Japan, South Korea to uphold peace in Taiwan Strait

For those of you who've never been lambasted, get ready to enjoy yourselves:
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Chinese Embassy in Seoul on Tuesday (June 4) blasted the U.S., Japan, and South Korea's joint statement on Taiwan, calling them "consecutive erroneous statements."
View Quote
The Chinese embassy said these comments "interfere in China's internal affairs and maliciously smear and attack China" and lodged "solemn representations with South Korea," per Yonhap News Agency.

On Monday, the Chinese foreign ministry claimed the trilateral defense ministers' meeting and trilateral vice foreign minister-level dialogue were intended to "deliberately attack and vilify China."
View Quote
Here are the comments the Chinese Embassy in Seoul is "blasting":
U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin, Japan Minister of Defense Kihara Minoru, and South Korea Minister of National Defense Shin Won-sik held a trilateral ministerial meeting on June 2 in Singapore.

The three officials said there was no change in their nations' position on Taiwan and that regional peace was "an indispensable element of security and prosperity in the international community."

They also called for a peaceful resolution to cross-strait issues.
View Quote
The joint statement also opposed unilateral attempts to change the status quo in the Indo-Pacific and called out China's "dangerous and aggressive behavior" in the South China Sea.

The three ministers stressed the importance of abiding by international law, including the freedom of navigation and overflight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Zoinks, Carmel, anyone else:  do you think this is their version of a Monroe Doctrine (only minus the Royal Navy big brother to make it stick), or do you think they actually mean to colonize and rule all in the First Island Chain?
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Score Card!!!!!  (Listening to Iggy Pop right now. Makes it easier to digest International News!)
Taiwan tracks 19 Chinese military aircraft, 12 ships around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 19 Chinese military aircraft, eight naval vessels, and four coast guard ships around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Monday (June 3) and 6 a.m. on Tuesday (June 4).

Of the 19 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 17 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the northern and southwestern sectors of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked Chinese military aircraft 21 times and naval/coast guard vessels 34 times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Taiwanese rocks vs the PRC glass house:
Taiwan president commemorates 35th anniversary of Tiananmen Square protests

Lai Ching-te says protests symbolize importance of democracy, freedom
View Quote

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   President Lai Ching-te (   ) highlighted the arduous democratization process on the 35th anniversary of the June 4th Tiananmen Square protest.

Commemorating the protest is not just about the day itself, but celebrating the common belief that only democracy and freedom can truly protect the people, Lai said in a Facebook post. "We will continue to keep this historical memory alive," he said.

Democracy and freedom are hard-won, Lai added. We must use democracy to build consensus, respond to authoritarianism, and face the expansion of tyranny with courage, he said.

In Taiwan, thanks to the efforts and sacrifices of our pro-democracy predecessors, the country transitioned from an authoritarian regime to a democratic system, the president said. The younger generation has inherited the torch of democracy and continues to carry it forward, he said.

Lai said, "A truly respectable country is one that allows its people to speak out loudly." He said the power of the youth to promote national reform should not be suppressed and should be protected and encouraged by the nation.

Lai pledged to deepen Taiwan's democracy and cooperate with like-minded countries to create a better world.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
We covered something similar along these lines some pages ago, except we settled on a specific type of fungus that's only found in two parts two parts of the World: China and Indonesia. A microscope-sized amount is enough to kill, but if you do survive, you'll need organ transplants.

I'm very positive that the PRC has "gamed" everything up in your post and probably a number of things that we couldn't even think of.
View All Quotes

I think they have a plan to take Taiwan that won't cost them a lot of lives or more importantly to them hardware.  We in the west always think of conventional military warfare.  I believe when China goes for Taiwan they will use vast amounts of chemical and possible biological weapons delivered by missiles throughout the island.  They can air burst tons of fentanyl over the population centers and kill a lot of the population without harming the infrastructure. Fentanyl degrades quickly by UV light, so they don't have to wait long to go into the areas they attacked.  There is a lot more chemical weapons that have similar affect's and are rendered safe after a short time outside.  

We think that nobody would ever do such a thing because we wouldn't.  But China and Russia think very differently than we do.  

Here's one scenario. EMP over Taiwan, mass chemical attack and massive ballistic missile attack on military sites. You do that 50%+ of Taiwans defenders are dead before China even gets a ship or plane in Taiwans territory.

lol just some random thoughts of mine. China definitely has changed its tone and it's getting very bold.

I too remember the hysteria of Yellow Rain and T2 (or was it T3?) compounds.  (Jesus Christ, I was a weird fucking kid.)

Anyway, as far as gaming goes, provided the Chinese can get over their racism, I'd thought the Philippines were a much more attractive target for anything military.  If only that the islands have arable land + a lot more free women.  Indonesia is probably better still.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Score Card!!!!!  (Listening to Iggy Pop right now. Makes it easier to digest International News!)
Taiwan tracks 19 Chinese military aircraft, 12 ships around nation
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1737/2024_06_04_9ac2ba9d7d8144df9402f8a766dad-3232530.JPG

View Quote

We're all the passenger, on this one, seeing the city's red backside.

Or I got eaten by my television.  One of the two.  Probably the latter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#22]
This video is a year old, but watch a short portion starting at 6:16 and see the US was there then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waqsReFYAY8
View Quote
Finally, I got the chance to watch this. Thank you!!!    Even the music was pretty good.

Those South Pacific jungles grow fast!! In Europe, they've had so many wars there, they're used to cleaning up the areas rather quickly.

At 19:00, you'll see about 15 seconds of a partial Japanese soldier's skull that someone stenciled an EGA on. (I doubt that was during during the War!)

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Zoinks, Carmel, anyone else:  do you think this is their version of a Monroe Doctrine (only minus the Royal Navy big brother to make it stick), or do you think they actually mean to colonize and rule all in the First Island Chain?
View Quote
I wish I studied more Mao. But! He always seemed to be a duplicitous fuck, but a focused one at that. (He has that look of "don't let your kids near him.) I think the real genius laid with Chou En Lai.

I think the original version of the "9-Dash Line" was pure bluster on the part of the newly formed PRC. They had no boats or ships. The KMT seemed to control every single Island off the Coast of China proper.

Generally speaking, communist marketing techniques like slogans. They're easy to remember, and most importanly, do not take a lot of thought to understand (the less thought the better, come to think of it.)

At what point the 9 Dash Line came to be thought of as something achievable, I can't say. I want to pick the '90s when Clinton became President. The PRC and the CCP made great strides in all directions when Clinton was President. The Democrats really pushed off-shore manufacturing to China (more than to Mexico which would have been a better deal for us and Mexico) using the EPA creating regulations to increase costs of US made goods to the point where the goods simply couldn't be at a sellable price point.

This gave the PRC an amazing amount of money!!! Enough to purchase US politicians!!! But even back in this time, CCP propaganda was still saying that China would never be a hegemonic power. I think over time, greed has taken over everyone in that Country.

Now, I think the 9-Dash line is just a cover for China to simply have an empire.

• The PRC is the greatest capitalistic country in History! (Capitalism is the Second Stage of Human Development/Progress according to Marxist Theory.)
  • Throwing up the word "People" isn't making the PRC even the slightest bit Socialist (which is the Third Stage according to Marxist Theory), and as no Communist Party has ever even desired to get to the Forth Stage of Human Development (Not even Pol Pot!!) where the State will wither away...they'll just end up being a fascist state like most leftist countries.
The 9-Dash Line is now a charade for an even greater expansion of the PRC, something resembling the Imperial Japanese "The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" with the majestic PRC as its mighty head. It's just an opinion.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

I too remember the hysteria of Yellow Rain and T2 (or was it T3?) compounds.  (Jesus Christ, I was a weird fucking kid.)

Anyway, as far as gaming goes, provided the Chinese can get over their racism, I'd thought the Philippines were a much more attractive target for anything military.  If only that the islands have arable land + a lot more free women.  Indonesia is probably better still.
View Quote
Indonesia has a lot of Muslims. Muslims, as a group, have a lot of money which to fund guerilla wars.

I'm with you about the Philippines. Controlling the Western archipelago can really block up the shipping lanes. That's why the Imperial Japanese wanted it (the Philippines.) Plus, you're correct about the fact that their a lot of ethnic Chinese women there.

It's been a recent development, under Xi in fact, that the Overseas Chinese are no longer pariah. They make up a lot of the PRC's spies now!! Unthinkable 20 years ago!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Some Score Cards have been published:
Taiwan tracks 26 Chinese military aircraft, 10 naval ships around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 26 Chinese military aircraft and 10 naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Tuesday (June 4) and 6 a.m. on Wednesday (June 5).

Of the 26 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 19 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the northern and southwestern portions of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

This is a variation of the pattern the PLAAF flew before Joint Sword 2024A and again during the exercise. In the South-West, that area has been expanded.

Taiwan tracks 8 Chinese naval vessels, 1 military aircraft around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked eight Chinese naval vessels and one military helicopter around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Wednesday (June 5) and 6 a.m. on Thursday (June 6).

The People's Liberation Army (PLA) helicopter was detected in the southeast corner of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND. In response, Taiwan sent aircraft and naval ships and deployed coastal-based missile systems to monitor PLA activity.
View Quote
They do not show the area the Helicopter was in, only mentioning the ordinal direction of South East.
Attachment Attached File

The Air Defense Identification Zone for Taiwan is about 23,000 sq Km and actually extends into the PRC. (The KMT did that years ago.) Wikipedia has a illustration of the various ADIZ in the area.
Attachment Attached File

Should be easy to estimate the South East from this.

Taiwan tracks 10 Chinese ships, 6 military aircraft around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked six Chinese military aircraft, six naval vessels, and four coast guard ships around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Thursday (June 6) and 6 a.m. on Friday (June 7).

Of the six People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, one Chinese drone was detected in the southwest corner of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), and one PLA helicopter was tracked in the southeast ADIZ, according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked Chinese military aircraft 54 times and naval/coast guard vessels 62 times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#26]

I think they have a plan to take Taiwan that won’t cost them a lot of lives or more importantly to them hardware.  We in the west always think of conventional military warfare.  I believe when China goes for Taiwan they will use vast amounts of chemical and possible biological weapons delivered by missiles throughout the island.  They can air burst tons of fentanyl over the population centers and kill a lot of the population without harming the infrastructure. Fentanyl degrades quickly by UV light, so they don’t have to wait long to go into the areas they attacked.  There is a lot more chemical weapons that have similar affect’s and are rendered safe after a short time outside.  

We think that nobody would ever do such a thing because we wouldn’t.  But China and Russia think very differently than we do.  

Here’s one scenario. EMP over Taiwan, mass chemical attack and massive ballistic missile attack on military sites. You do that 50%+ of Taiwans defenders are dead before China even gets a ship or plane in Taiwans territory.

lol just some random thoughts of mine. China definitely has changed its tone and it’s getting very bold.
View All Quotes

Last I checked China was still Taiwan's largest source of food imports, all China has to do is embargo and blockade them.  

Taking Taiwan is about "face", not it's military importance or I'd venture even their chip manufacturing.   The Philippines is much more strategic and they've been making a lot of sneaky and underhanded moves to flood their people in, just one of the reasons duturte was a treasonous pos thug.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a hodge-podge of things for Propaganda Friday. Let's start with what might be accurate and therefore good news:
US announces sale of US$300 million in F-16 supplies to Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The U.S. State Department on Wednesday (June 5) announced the sale of US$300 million (NT$9.68 billion) of spare and repair parts for Taiwan's F-16s.

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said the Taiwan representative office in the U.S. wanted to buy US$220 million of standard spare and repair parts for F-16s, as well as US$80 million of "non-standard spare and repair parts" for the fighter jets. The State Department said the sale would improve Taiwan's "ability to meet current and future threats by maintaining the operational readiness" of its F-16s fleet.

The agency said the potential sale serves U.S. interests by bolstering Taiwan's efforts to "modernize its armed forces and to maintain a credible defensive capability." It added the sale would help improve Taiwan's security and maintain "political stability, military balance, and economic progress in the region."

The DSCA said it notified Congress of the proposed sale on Wednesday.
View Quote
Which means the sale awaits Executive Branch approval.

Here's Taiwan rubbing the PRC's nose in it:
Taiwan ranked 2nd most loved country in Asia
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan is ranked the 2nd "most loved" country in Asia due to its democracy, friendliness, and high respect.

The New York-based finance website Insider Monkey on Friday (May 31) released a list titled "20 Most Loved Countries in Asia." Malaysia ranked first, and Taiwan took second, besting regional rivals such as Singapore, Japan, the Philippines, and South Korea.

The ranking was based on an analysis of its five previous articles on countries in Asia, and each of the five metrics was assigned weights. The first three articles, which cover aspects such as most respected, friendliest, and most visited, were given 75% weight, and 25% was allotted to countries in the two articles on diversity and "democratic credentials."

As for Malaysia's 1st place listing, the author said it ranks 8th in the category of "most respected," 5th for "most visited," and 2nd among the "friendliest countries." For "most diverse" Malaysia placed 14th, while among the "most democratic" countries in Asia, it was listed 6th with an overall score of 0.701.

As for Taiwan's 2nd place rating, the country received a high respect rank of 2 and a friendliness score of 7, but it placed 20th for most visited. Taiwan took first place for democracy but came in 20th place for diversity.

Taiwan received an overall score of 0.595, just edging out Singapore, which scored 0.593.
View Quote
I wanted...nay, needed to separate Insider Monkey's wisdom from the rest of the article:
Insider Monkey pointed out that Taiwan is a "highly developed free-market economy," rated by the World Bank and IMF as an "advanced economy" with a per capita GDP of US$72,490 (NT$2.349 million) in 2023. The report also mentioned that Taiwan is the most democratic country in Asia, and its people are "cordial" to foreigners.
View Quote
The PRC is not at the top of the list.

And to add to the propaganda hits, here's an article about an international conference organized and led by Taiwan:
Taiwan sea lane security conference promotes Indo-Pacific cooperation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan wanted to provide input to counter the threat posed by China, Ocean Affairs Council (OAC) Minister Kuan Bi-ling (   ) told the International Conference on Sea Lane Security Friday (June 7).

The Taipei event co-sponsored by the OAC and National Sun Yat-sen University (NSYSU) focused on raising international awareness of the importance of oceans and ocean transportation, per the Liberty Times. Security experts from eight countries traveled to Taiwan to attend the conference.
View Quote
This is what Taiwan needs to do to fight the PRC from keeping Taiwan from participating in international forums: create their own.
The international community had already reached a high level of consensus on the fact that peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait were of vital global importance, Kuan said. She added the aim of the conference was to forge a closer partnership in the Indo-Pacific region and counteract China's threatening behavior.

Kuan saw the event as a positive beginning for a stable regional cooperation platform, having all countries "stand together to make the ocean better."
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Let's go to Myanmar now for an update:
Myanmar military control weakening as anti-coup forces advance: Report
Admittedly, it's really hard to find vetted information regarding the rebellion in Myanmar. This article uses an entity called the Special Advisory Council for Myanmar (SAC-M) and I can't really find out more about them except for their own website:
Current members of the Special Advisory Council for Myanmar.
The way these things work is you put up the pictures of your Rock Stars who typically don't have any sort of face time in the project. They're there for donation purposes. Who does the real grunt work? Who knows. But here's parts of their report:
Myanmar's military regime has lost control of more parts of the Southeast Asian country, particularly along its borders, since anti-coup forces formed an alliance to mount a renewed offensive at the end of October last year, according to the latest update from a group of prominent international experts.

The Special Advisory Council for Myanmar (SAC-M) said in a report released on Thursday that the overall trajectory of the conflict in Myanmar since 2022 had been one of "expanding resistance control versus corresponding military junta losses".
View Quote

That process had "escalated rapidly from October 2023", it said.

Since ethnic armed groups and anti-coup fighters known as People's Defence Forces (PDF) began Operation 1027 last year, they have made significant advances, taking military posts and border towns in the north and east, along the border with China and Thailand, as well as in the west where Myanmar meets Bangladesh and India.

The SAC-M said the generals had lost complete authority over townships covering 86 percent of the country's territory and home to 67 percent of Myanmar's 55 million people.

"Resistance to junta control remains strong, widespread and deeply entrenched," it said.

Army chief Min Aung Hlaing launched a coup in February 2021, seizing power from the elected government of civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who has since been tried in a secret military court and jailed.
View Quote

The power grab led to mass protests that evolved into an armed rebellion after the military responded with force. At least 5,161 civilians have now been killed since the coup and more than 20,500 are being held in jail, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners which has been monitoring developments since the coup.

The SAC-M said the military could be considered neither a legitimate (de jure) nor a de facto government.

"The military junta does not control enough of the territory of Myanmar to uphold the core duties of the state," the report said.
View Quote

In the 51 townships with international borders, the SAC-M said just one, with a population of 7,000 in the foothills of the Himalayas, was under "stable junta control". Thirty townships were assessed to have at least 90 percent control by anti-coup forces, including 14 where the military's opponents had secured full control.
View Quote
At some point in time, I do expect a Chinese force to be introduced here. One, because of the political and military ties between the Myanmar Army leadership and the PRC, and two because if the CCP does intend to use its Army, this would be a real world test of a) coming in large, fast and angry or b) practicing the infiltration technique they used in Korea to just build up forces and then launch an attack.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Why did North Korea launch trash-laden balloons into South Korea?
Tensions are once again rising on the Korean peninsula after North Korea launched hundreds of balloons that dropped rubbish and manure onto towns and cities across South Korea, including onto the runway of Seoul's main airport.

The South Korean government responded on Tuesday by suspending an inter-Korean military deal that was signed in 2018 with the aim of easing animosities at their heavily militarised border.
View Quote
The move will allow Seoul to resume large-scale military training near the border and restart propaganda broadcasts, including K-pop songs and outside news from loudspeakers stationed at the frontier.
View Quote
The North Korean campaign began last week on Tuesday, with Pyongyang flying some 260 balloons carrying cigarette butts, scraps of cloth, waste paper and manure into South Korea. The balloons   carried by the wind   fell across the country, including as far south as the county of Geochang, some 218 kilometres (135 miles) south of Seoul, according to the Yonhap news agency.

The campaign was also accompanied by North Korean attempts to jam GPS systems in South Korea.
View Quote

The South Koreans suspended all propaganda missions and major exercises with the US a few years ago (during Trump Presidency) as Kim Jong Un wasn't acting so North Korean.

Well, that's now officially over:
Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and a powerful ruling party official, issued a statement via the Korean Central News Agency, condemning Seoul as "shameful, brazen" for criticising the balloons while defending its citizens' own freedom of expression. North Korea's balloons were "gifts of sincerity" for South Koreans who "cry for freedom of expression", she claimed.
View Quote
I realize that there are some of you out there that would give your all to "fuck the commie" out of her, but remember, you must deny her your essense.
I know!!! Rules:Attachment Attached File

It was hard to find a nice picture of her. One you would show to your Mom. I hate you fuckers.

North Korea is extremely sensitive to the leaflets that South Korean activists float across the border, because they carry information about the outside world and criticism of the three-generation Kim dynasty's rule since the founding of North Korea by Kim Il Sung in 1948.
View Quote
On Tuesday, the South Korean government announced it was discontinuing the 2018 inter-Korean military agreement, saying the large-scale floating of balloons had "seriously threatened the safety of our people and caused property damage".

Cho Chang-rae, South Korea's deputy defence minister for policy, said the "responsibility for this situation lies solely with North Korea". He added: "If North Korea launches additional provocations, our military, in conjunction with the solid South Korea-United States defence posture, will punish North Korea swiftly, strongly and to the end."
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Over the two years we've been doing this, I've wrote that under Xi, Over-Seas Chinese are no longer pariah. In fact, I think I wrote that in a post somewhere on this page!! Then comes this story:
A Beijing police unit is hiring. Those who've lived outside mainland China need not apply

Sure, it's not the same, but if you've spent any time outside of the PRC, you can't join this district's Police Department:
A district police bureau in Beijing is the latest public sector employer to rule out any job applicants who have lived outside mainland China   including Hong Kong and Macau   for more than six months.

Time spent beyond mainland borders is under growing scrutiny for roles deemed sensitive, with similar restrictions imposed by other law enforcement agencies and the immigration department in recent years.
View Quote
I almost got through the paywall that time!!! So close.

Next we have an opinion piece from the South China Morning Post, yes those people:
Why Chinese think tanks' South China Sea reports targeting Vietnam, Indonesia will only escalate tensions

Now the SCMP really is PRC propaganda!! But it's the Tass News Agency variety. Now I have to explain that to those under 40...can't be done! SCMP can have fun stories, like cats in trees with happy endings instead of spouting CCP management slogans every issue in every leade in every column.

Over the last few weeks, I've been noticing a softening of rhetoric from the SCMP like it was back when Trump was President, oddly enough!! Not sure what that means, but it is an interesting note.

This opinion piece is about how "Chinese think tanks" are ratcheting up tension when it's not needed. Interesting topic for a host of reasons. First, Chinese think tanks, especially after the restruturing from COVID-19 days, only serve to buttress CCP dogma in academic speak. Second, they provide necessary cover for travel of MSS agents abroad, or inviting coopted, and those that volunteer to spy for the PRC, scholars, businessmen, politicians into the PRC for conferences.

Provided summary:
  •    Singling out Vietnam and Indonesia is simply an attempt to divert attention from maritime confrontations in the disputed waterway
  •    The best way to ease tension would be to exercise caution at sea and for external countries to diplomatically engage China and the Philippines
View Quote

Two recent reports from Chinese think tanks targeting Vietnam and Indonesia over the South China Sea reflect the potential for disputes in the waterway to escalate following Beijing's maritime clashes with the Philippines.

Beijing-based Grandview Institution warned that Vietnam's reclamation in the South China Sea could "complicate and expand" disputes in the region, in its report on May 14.

The report pointed out that Vietnam had reclaimed more land in the region over the past three years than in the previous four decades. Hanoi had carried out only "modest" reclamation efforts on 29 islands and reefs it controlled in the Spratly Islands, a disputed archipelago in the South China Sea, up to 2019, according to the institution.

But in recent years, Vietnam has embarked on major dredging and landfill works and expanded the reclaimed area several times, from the original 0.7 sq km (0.27 sq miles) to 3 sq km, the report's author Liu Xiaobo said.
View Quote
The second report issued by the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations last Thursday said potential clashes in the South China Sea could test Indonesia's ties with China.

Luo Yongkun, deputy director of Southeast Asian and Oceanian Studies at the Beijing-based think tank, warned that it would require "superb political wisdom" for Jakarta to maintain its friendship with Beijing amid "dramatic geopolitical changes".

Conflict in the South China Sea would "severely" test China-Indonesia ties, China-Asean relations, and even the regional order centred around Asean, said Luo, a research professor at the state-affiliated institute.

This would trigger changes in the regional geopolitical structure and risk the interests of all parties in the region, he said.
View Quote

So, here's the crux of the author's, Maria Siow, thesis:
The two reports followed months of skirmishes between China and the Philippines, with Manila this week protesting Beijing's unilateral fishing ban in the South China Sea.

At a time of heightened tensions, the reports serve little purpose in reducing tension.
View Quote
Now here's where the author goes Al Capone style of these two think tanks:
The two reports followed months of skirmishes between China and the Philippines, with Manila this week protesting Beijing's unilateral fishing ban in the South China Sea.

At a time of heightened tensions, the reports serve little purpose in reducing tension.
The scale of Vietnam's reclamation in the first report pales in comparison with Beijing's similar activities covering at least 12.9 sq km in the disputed waters almost a decade ago, highlighted in a March report by Japan's defence ministry.

In the case of Indonesia, there should be no reason for it to be singled out in the event of a conflict in the South China Sea, as Jakarta is not a claimant of maritime territory in the waterway.
Indonesia, despite having Southeast Asia's largest economy and population, should not bear the burden of a deterioration in China-Asean ties and the break-up of the regional order.
View Quote
That's pretty rough stuff especially after the recent realignment of "think tanks" in the PRC. And it's not that she's wrong, it's that the criticisms are now very public:
hinese think tanks have traditionally toed Beijing's line and reflected their government's position. In a report issued by European research institute Mercator Institute for China Studies this month, China has, over the past decade, pushed "to closer align think tanks' activities with political agendas".

"Due to the changing policy environment   room for truly independent think tanks has become negligible," said the report's authors Nis Gr nberg and Grzegorz Stec.

Apart from being poorly timed, the reports have unnecessarily targeted Vietnam and Indonesia and even appeared to have pushed the blame in rising South China Sea tensions on Hanoi and Jakarta.

Given the current skirmishes between Beijing and Manila in the disputed waterway, the best ways to ease tension would be to exercise caution at sea and for external countries to diplomatically engage China and the Philippines.

Singling out other parties   Vietnam and Indonesia   is simply an attempt to divert attention from the maritime confrontation, and even drama, that is unfolding in the South China Sea, of which China's substantive and contributory role should not be overlooked.
View Quote
Gentlemen! This is startling. Four years ago, Chinese journalists disappeared for much less than this.

So...what's going on?

First, it has to be said that this could now be a legitimate stance somewhere in CCP hierarchy. This is possible. Xi can't arrest everyone in the Politburo, and there are always factions no matter how loud they deny it.

It's also possible that Maria Siow is an enforcer that was sent out as the Harbinger of things to come. Her accompanying photo, she's scary. That means "Think Tanks beware."

Or it's also just as possible that this opinion piece is being used as cover to deflect criticism on the bias of the South China Morning Post: we don't suck like MSNBC!

Speaking of tensions with the Philippines, here's another documented violation of the Chinese Coast Guard violating international laws, conventions and just basic human decency. There's a video that accompanies the article:
Philippines accuses Chinese coast guard of blocking medical evacuation

Chinese coast guards have been filmed allegedly blocking a Philippine coast guard crew attempting to evacuate a sick member of its armed forces in the South China Sea.
View Quote
"allegedly" al-jazeera?? al-jazeera just turned into white liberals!!!!

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Seeing increased Chinese PLA military activity
Attachment Attached File

5 PLA-associated ferries have left their normal Yellow Sea routes & are headed south: 4 Bo Hai Ferry Group ferries and one COSCO ferry (Ji Long Dao).
Attachment Attached File

In 2024, Taiwan’s Ministry of National Defense reported 1,000+ PLA Navy warships tracked (+47% year-over-year), 1,700+ aircraft detected (-15%), & nearly 800 air defense zone (ADIZ) violations (flat yoy)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Seeing increased Chinese PLA military activity
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0821_jpeg-3237316.JPG
5 PLA-associated ferries have left their normal Yellow Sea routes & are headed south: 4 Bo Hai Ferry Group ferries and one COSCO ferry (Ji Long Dao).
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0822_jpeg-3237322.JPG
In 2024, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense reported 1,000+ PLA Navy warships tracked (+47% year-over-year), 1,700+ aircraft detected (-15%), & nearly 800 air defense zone (ADIZ) violations (flat yoy)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0823_jpeg-3237325.JPG
View Quote
GoldMead, you Magnificent Bastard!! You got us Charts!!!!!!!  

Now, we're professionals!!!!!
Great work!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Score Cards!!
Taiwan tracks 9 Chinese military aircraft, 7 naval ships around nation
(Both score cards have the same score for the day.)
AIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked nine Chinese military aircraft and seven naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Saturday (June 8) and 6 a.m. on Sunday (June 9).

Of the nine People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, five crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the northern and southwestern portions of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Taiwan tracks 9 Chinese military aircraft, 7 naval ships around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked nine Chinese military aircraft and seven naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Sunday (June 9) and 6 a.m. on Monday (June 10).

Of the nine People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, five crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the southwest and northeast sectors of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked Chinese military aircraft 85 times and naval/coast guard vessels 85 times.
View Quote
Less aircraft so far. If the number of aircraft picks up as we get close to the end of the month, we can safely conclude they've been swapping out engines probably at the unit level. I'm not sure the PLAAF can get 100 hours out of an engine. It was only 10 hours 10 years ago, so they have progressed. Also, I did write to the Taiwan News asking for more MND information, and I never heard back. I wrote I was from arfcom. Maybe I shouldn't have wrote that part!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#34]
We do have another update.
Remember the Center for Strategic and International Studies war games that we covered a couple of times as information dribbled out?

They have a new report where in CSIS says that the PRC will try to "quarantine" Taiwan in the short term.
CSIS outlines China's possible quarantine of Taiwan

CSIS developed two possibilities. Both plans require the PLAN, the Chinese Coast Guard and the Militia Fishing Fleet. The first type is to impose a "new normal" onto Taiwan while the second is far more complex and a much larger, in fact pretty huge, operation to impose "enhanced" custom inspections at Sea. That takes a lot of people, plus you're practically taken over a ship.

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   A paper by Washington, D.C.-based think showed two scenarios in which China imposed a quarantine over Taiwan to pressure Taipei and demonstrate Beijing's alleged sovereignty.
View Quote
On June 5, the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) released a paper asserting that China is more likely to impose a quarantine on Taiwan in the short term rather than a full blockade. Under this scheme, Beijing would publicly announce stricter customs regulations and deploy coast guard ships to target ports like Kaohsiung, boarding "non-compliant" ships, thus establishing a "new normal" in the Taiwan Strait.
View Quote
The report said the terms quarantine and blockade have been used interchangeably in the media to describe potential actions by China to isolate Taiwan. However, the authors defined quarantine as a "law enforcement led operation to control maritime or air traffic within a specific area," while a blockade is "foremost military in nature."
View Quote

The paper presented two scenarios of quarantines, with one limited in scope and the other comprehensive. In a limited quarantine, the goal is not to cut off Taiwan's trade routes but to engage in gray zone operations.

Days or weeks before the quarantine begins, Beijing would mobilize its coast guard's maritime law enforcement units, some military forces, and nearby maritime militia fishing vessels.
View Quote

China would publicly announce "enhanced customs inspection rules," avoiding terms like "quarantine" or "blockade." All cargo ships and oil tankers entering Taiwan would need to submit customs declarations to Chinese authorities in advance. Chinese maritime law enforcement personnel would be authorized to board and inspect ships, question crews, and take punitive steps against non-compliant vessels.

The quarantine measures would commence within 48 hours of the announcement. Chinese authorities would not disclose specific inspection locations, but the plan would be to target Taiwan's busiest port, Kaohsiung.
View Quote

Chinese vessels would then infringe upon Taiwan's 44-kilometer (24-nautical-mile) contiguous zone, occasionally approaching the 22-kilometer (12-nautical-mile) territorial sea boundary. These actions carry significant symbolic weight, as China does not recognize Taiwan's claims to these boundaries.

Approximately 20 maritime militia fishing vessels would support these maritime law enforcement ships. Although militia vessels lack the authority to board or search merchant ships, they could operate densely in specific areas to fill gaps in China's intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR).

The Chinese navy would deploy nearly 30 warships distributed into five surface action groups (SAGs) that would patrol around Taiwan to prevent intervention by foreign coast guards or militaries.

If China encounters minimal resistance and most companies comply with the new customs regulations, Beijing could begin scaling back operations after about a week.

However, a significant Chinese law enforcement and military presence around Taiwan would persist for the next few weeks, indicating a new normal.
View Quote

The second scenario represents a significant escalation, where China announces new, "enhanced customs inspection rules" requiring cargo bound for Taiwan to report to Chinese authorities in advance. This time, China would publicly declare that the quarantine zone encompasses the entire island of Taiwan.

Beijing would deploy more coast guard and maritime law enforcement ships in an unprecedented large-scale operation, with more than 10 vessels around Kaohsiung alone. Additionally, over a dozen ships would be stationed at ports along the western coast, including Taipei and Taichung, with nine ships near Keelung, Taiwan's second-largest import hub.
View Quote

Six ships would be dispatched to smaller eastern ports like Hualien and Su'ao. China would also deploy the Shandong aircraft carrier group southeast of Taiwan, with frequent J-15 sorties to the east of Taiwan.
View Quote

In this second scenario, China would be more proactive in boarding and inspecting ships, intercepting at least one to two vessels daily, primarily targeting Taiwanese-flagged ships and ships from countries maintaining formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan. The uncertainty of Chinese enforcement would lead many shipping companies to delay shipments, significantly reducing cargo volumes to Taiwan.

These actions would continue for over two weeks before the intensity and frequency began to decrease. However, a substantial presence of Chinese coast guard and military forces would remain operational around Taiwan "indefinitely."
View Quote

The report notes that while China can successfully execute these quarantine operations, such actions are more complex than any measures Beijing has taken to date. Moreover, this approach carries significant risks for China, with its success largely dependent on the reactions of Taiwan, the U.S., and other countries.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#35]
We do have another update.
Remember the Center for Strategic and International Studies war games that we covered a couple of times as information dribbled out?

They have a new report where in CSIS says that the PRC will try to "quarantine" Taiwan in the short term.
CSIS outlines China's possible quarantine of Taiwan

CSIS developed two possibilities. Both plans require the PLAN, the Chinese Coast Guard and the Militia Fishing Fleet. The first type is to impose a "new normal" onto Taiwan while the second is far more complex and a much larger, in fact pretty huge, operation to impose "enhanced" custom inspections at Sea. That takes a lot of people, plus you're practically taken over a ship.

View Quote

The question is will the US do anything if China does either scenario listed above.  If China doesn’t fire a shot I don’t see the current US government doing much.

Yes I got some charts I took them from a guy who clearly puts in a lot of work following all of China’s movements.

PLA Ferry Update:

All ~5 civil-military ferries were operating in the Taiwan Strait over the last 24 hours, with stops at major ports in Xiamen & Shantou (the same locations prior to Joint Sword 2024A). Data via Marine Traffic.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's an interesting note that happened about 40 hours ago:
S Korea says it fired warning shots after N Korean soldiers crossed border

Not a lot of detail of the action, but it's the actions surrounding it all:
South Korea's military has said it fired warning shots after soldiers from North Korea briefly crossed the border at the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) that separates the countries.

The incident took place at about 12.30pm (03:30 GMT) on Sunday when a group of North Korean soldiers crossed over the Military Demarcation Line within the DMZ, the Yonhap news agency reported, citing a statement from the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).

The JCS said South Korean soldiers broadcast warnings and fired into the air, and the North Korean soldiers returned to their side of the heavily-fortified border.
View Quote
It's the Balloooooooonnnnsssss!!!

The incident comes amid heightened tensions between the two Koreas after Pyongyang sent more than 1,000 balloons filled with rubbish across the border, and South Korea resumed propaganda broadcasts which it had stopped in 2018.

Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of leader Kim Jong Un, said the broadcasts risked provoking a "crisis of confrontation".

"This is a prelude to a very dangerous situation," she said in a statement carried by state media.
View Quote
South Korea has returned to using loud speakers!

How many civilian North Korean villages are on the DMZ?
One. Nobody lives there. It's a potempkin village stocked with people when needed.

There are lots of North Korean army guys there, though!

North Korea is extremely sensitive to Seoul's loudspeaker broadcasts because it fears such messaging could demoralise front-line troops and residents and eventually weaken Kim Jong Un's grip on power, analysts say.

In 2015, the last time South Korea restarted the broadcasts after a long lull, North Korea fired artillery rounds across the border, prompting South Korea to return fire. No casualties were reported.

The JCS said there was no unusual activity after Sunday's warning shots were fired and the soldiers returned to their side of the border.
View Quote

So, which came first, Nork trash balloons or the South Korean broadcasts?
North Korea sends more rubbish balloons to South after Kim sister's threat

South Korea resumed loudspeaker broadcasts hours earlier in response to the North sending more than 1,000 rubbish-carrying balloons in recent weeks.
View Quote

North Korea has floated hundreds more refuse-carrying balloons into South Korea after Kim Jong Un's influential sister warned Seoul to halt propaganda broadcasts across their tense border.

Pyongyang sent more than 300 waste-loaded balloons across the inter-Korean border overnight, South Korea's military said on Monday, after Kim Yo Jong warned earlier that the loudspeaker broadcasts risked provoking a "crisis of confrontation".
View Quote

The broadcasts have in the past included international news and K-pop, both of which are restricted by the Kim regime.

Seoul halted the broadcasts in 2018 during a period of inter-Korean rapprochement initiated by former President Moon Jae-in, the predecessor of the conservative incumbent, Yoon Seok-yeol.

Pyongyang has said it began the balloon campaign in retaliation for South Korean activists sending anti-North Korean leaflets and USB sticks filled with South Korean music and dramas across the border.
View Quote
Here's another interesting stopping point for us.

Pyongyang is above ground and has electricity. Ergo, you can find computers there. That's not true of most of the cities and towns in North Korea. The other interesting point is that North Korea sells North Korean labor to China. Those North Koreans find out a lot more of what's going on than anyone will through a USB stick.
But, let us return to the 'fantasy' presented:
"Seoul does not want military tension at the inter-Korean border, and Pyongyang does not want outside information threatening the legitimacy of the Kim regime," said Leif-Eric Easley, a professor of international studies at Ewha Womans University in Seoul.

"For both sides, 'escalating to deescalate' is a risky proposition. North Korea may have already miscalculated, as South Korea's democracy cannot simply turn off NGO balloon launches the way an autocracy would expect. Pyongyang is used to employing asymmetric tactics to its advantage, but in today's information space, it is outgunned by messages of freedom, economic success, and K-pop."
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#37]

The question is will the US do anything if China does either scenario listed above.  If China doesn't fire a shot I don't see the current US government doing much.

Yes I got some charts I took them from a guy who clearly puts in a lot of work following all of China's movements.

PLA Ferry Update:

All ~5 civil-military ferries were operating in the Taiwan Strait over the last 24 hours, with stops at major ports in Xiamen & Shantou (the same locations prior to Joint Sword 2024A). Data via Marine Traffic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0824_jpeg-3238009.JPG

View Quote
"The question is will the US do anything if China does either scenario listed above."

Most of the questions about Joe Biden have the same answer: "Depends."
(I needed to make a joke.)

But, to take a broader view, it was Pres. Obama that purposely and thoroughly ended "Pax Americana." He and his voters put us on this path. There was always going to be a price to pay for that. It's coming due.

Getting back to the car ferries, is there any data on what cargoes or people they're ferrying? That would be interesting. Are they rolling on and rolling off in a port, or on constructed piers? All kinds of questions come to mind.
And thank you again, GoldenMead.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Score Card Time!!! Then I feel the need to apologize :(

Taiwan tracks 13 Chinese military aircraft, 9 naval ships around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 13 Chinese military aircraft and nine naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Tuesday (June 11) and 6 a.m. on Wednesday (June 12).

Of the 13 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, nine crossed the Taiwan Strait median line entering the southwest and southeast portions of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

The loop in the South heading up the Eastern side of Taiwan, that's just short of the flight path used during Joint Sword 2024, and up to this day that has been as far as they have gone.

Taiwan tracks 23 Chinese military aircraft, 7 naval ships around nation

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 23 Chinese military aircraft and seven naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Wednesday (June 12) and 6 a.m. on Thursday (June 13).

Of the 23 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 19 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line and entered the country's eastern and southwestern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked Chinese military aircraft 132 times and naval/coast guard vessels 109 times.
View Quote
And now, they've gone further up the Eastern Side than anytime previously, and it looks like they came as close as 39 km to the Coast of Taiwan.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Now, it's a apology time!! A few days ago, I came across a story about a motor boat with a single occupant aboard that traveled East from China and was picked up by the Taiwanese Coast Guard.

I thought to myself I should post it because it might turn into something. There was something more odd about this particular time than the numerous previous times it's happened. But, there wasn't enough to the story to share.

But, I didn't post it!!! And it's turned into something!!!!

Taiwan intelligence agency investigates retired Chinese officer

Yes, it might have been an attempt at an insertion of an agent.
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The recent arrival in a Taiwan port of a retired Chinese Navy captain has led to suspicions his trip might have been organized by a Chinese spy ring, the head of the country's top intelligence agency told lawmakers Wednesday (June 12).

National Security Bureau (NSB) Director-General Tsai Ming-yen (   ) was speaking days after the former Chinese officer was arrested for entering the Tamsui River by motorboat. A clear motive for his actions has not been determined yet, though he reportedly told investigators he wanted to defect to Taiwan.
View Quote

Over the past year, there have been more than a dozen cases of Chinese crossing into Taiwan illegally, Tsai said. Each time, they had been interrogated about their motives and about the route they had followed to arrive in Taiwan, the Liberty Times reported.
View Quote
The phones of the Chinese arrivals played an important part in the investigation, according to Tsai. The NSB check their pictures and track down their routes based on the phones, comparing the data to ascertain whether they have been speaking the truth.

Even if their stories checked out, Tsai said he could not rule out the possibility that a network was behind their entry into Taiwan, with ships taking them close to the coast and showing them the way to the nearest port.
View Quote
I'll get it right next time!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#41]
LOL I came to do the same one, my Brother!!!!  

I'm going to do the score card first:
Taiwan tracks 8 Chinese military aircraft, 8 naval ships around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked eight Chinese military aircraft and eight naval vessels between 6 a.m. on Thursday (June 13) and 6 a.m. on Friday (June 14).

Of the eight People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, three entered the southwest corner of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND. No PLA aircraft crossed the Taiwan Strait median line during that time.
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked Chinese military aircraft 140 times and naval/coast guard vessels 117 times.
Going to post pone Propaganda Friday tonight to cover the Chinese Coast Guard story. It's that big!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#42]
As Carmel posted and as Rand just published their study on "quarantine" of the island of Taiwan, the Chinese Coast Guard is having it's powers expanded under PRC law in violation of International law and international conventions:

Taiwan protests new China coast guard regulations
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   New regulations that would allow the Chinese Coast Guard (CCG) to board vessels and detain foreign citizens accused of trespassing are in violation of international law, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Friday (June 14).

The new measure, known as Regulation No. 3, which will bring a 2021 law governing the CCG into force, will take effect on Saturday (June 15). Other countries involved in maritime sovereignty disputes with China, including the Philippines, have also voiced concern about Beijing's move.
View Quote
I have some posts from 2021. I also looked for a Biden Administration response on this topic, and I couldn't find one. The only explanation for that is that there is no response from the Biden Administration.
Back to the first story:
The unilateral implementation of the Chinese law violates regional peace and stability, MOFA said in a statement Friday. Not only will the measure raise regional tensions, but it will also affect the security of regional commercial shipping and fishing activities, according to MOFA.

The ministry said it would closely monitor developments, and condemned China's lack of respect for relevant international laws and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Under the guise of maintaining maritime order, China continues to increase its military threats against other nations in the region.

MOFA said that Taiwan will continue to safeguard the security of foreign ships and crews passing through its waters. The country will also continue to cooperate with regional allies and countries sharing the same values to handle the potential impact of the new measures, and to protect the rules-based international order.
View Quote

I have three stories that I will post links to and grab some quick quotes from as well. This is a pretty big deal, and it's another step towards quarantining the Island.

The reason this is such a big deal is that the US has back logged weapons shipments that Taiwan has purchased. These weapons will be arriving by Sea, at least that was the plan. What to do now???? Wait for the next Administration to sort it all out if Biden doesn't win re-election? Hold weapons shipments even longer if Biden does win re-election? What's a shit-head administration to do!!

China's Coast Guard Law Challenges Rule-Based Order
The international community must respond to China's maritime coercion.
View Quote
On January 22, 2021 China passed the China Coast Guard (CCG) Law, which contradicts international law. It empowers the CCG to exert increased authority to threaten China's neighbors and attempt to change the status quo in the East and South China Seas. Countries that value freedom and democracy must protect regional stability and the rule of law by strengthening multilateral cooperation and countering China's challenges.
View Quote
China claims that the CCG Law is consistent with international law and customary practice. However, the law conflicts with the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) in several areas.

First, Article 21 of the CCG Law stipulates that if a foreign warship or government vessel violates China's domestic law in waters where China claims jurisdiction, the CCG will take enforcing measures, up to and including forced eviction and towing.

Article 22 permits the CCG to use weapons against foreign organizations and individuals that infringe on China's sovereign rights and jurisdiction at sea. However, UNCLOS Articles 32, 95, and 96 stipulate that warships and government ships are completely immune from the jurisdiction of any country other than the flag state.

Therefore, if the CCG implements the actions defined in Articles 21 and 22 of the CCG Law, it would be in violation of international law. Taking illegal coercive measures against other country's warships and government ships causes an increased risk of armed conflict.
View Quote
Check out this alleged American Scholar:
Shuxian Luo of Johns Hopkins University argues that the passing of the CCG Law contributes to reassurance in the region by standardizing the previously unclear operational criteria of the CCG and that the law should be welcomed. On the contrary, however, such legislation is inconsistent with international law and should be understood as a threat to regional states and condemned.
View Quote
You can read Shuxian Luo of John Hopkins University's essay here:
China's Coast Guard Law: Destabilizing or Reassuring?
Essentially, Shuxian Luo argues that...
the law's potential to raise the risk of maritime incidents and escalation have considerable merit, it is equally noteworthy that this law, considered in the broader context of China's protracted process of institutionalizing its maritime law enforcement force, represents an integral step toward clarifying and standardizing the operations of the China Coast Guard (CCG).
View Quote
So, because the PRC is being more efficient rewriting and reorganizing laws and governmental departments, it'll all be better!!!

Next article is also from April, 2021:
How China's Coast Guard Law Has Changed the Regional Security Structure

On its surface, the situation in the South China Sea has not changed much compared to that before the passage of China's Coast Guard Law, which took effect on February 1, 2021. China is still using grey zone tactics to scare away fishers and harass resource exploration projects from other territorial claimants in the South China Sea. However, the picture of the South China Sea is much grimmer than it may seem.
View Quote
This is an interesting paragraph about the years from 2011 to 2021:
For over a decade, China has implicitly indicated that it does not need to wage war to achieve its goals. Beijing has opted for a slow intensity conflict approach or low-intensity coercion by which China uses incremental steps to expand its de facto control over disputed territories. Beijing has used the South China Sea as a ground to test and refine its coercive policy toward smaller claimants. These policies can be duplicated and enacted by China elsewhere, including its disputes in the East China Sea.
View Quote
If we accept the premise of "China has implicitly indicated that it does not need to wage war to achieve its goals. Beijing has opted for a slow intensity conflict approach or low-intensity coercion by which China uses incremental steps to expand its de facto control over disputed territories," then it follows that something happened to encourage Xi and the CCP/PRC to become a lot more agressive right at the begining of the Biden Administration.

Back to the article and remember this is from 2021:
China's newly passed coast guard legislation authorizes its maritime law-enforcement fleets to use lethal force on foreign ships operating in China's waters, including the disputed waters claimed by China since Article 3 stipulates that "the CCG Organization shall conduct law enforcement operations in the waters under the jurisdiction of China and in the airspace above the waters under the jurisdiction of China and apply this Law."

State Department spokesperson Ned Price has stated that "allowing the coastguard to destroy other countries' economic structures and to use force in defending China's maritime claims in disputed areas, strongly implies this law could be used to intimidate the PRC's maritime neighbours".

Indeed, the new law is applied to the disputed waters and will likely be invoked in the conflict within the area. Most of China's disputed claims to offshore resources in the South China Sea were rejected by the United States due to their unlawfulness in Mike Pompeo's statement in July of last year.
View Quote
You can check out Sec of State Mike Pompeo's full speech from 2020 here:
Secretary Michael R. Pompeo Remarks at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum: "Communist China and the Free World's Future"

I'm just posting a snippet as a tease:
Next year marks half a century since Dr. Kissinger's secret mission to China, and the 50th anniversary of President Nixon's trip isn't too far away in 2022.

The world was much different then.

We imagined engagement with China would produce a future with bright promise of comity and cooperation.

But today   today we're all still wearing masks and watching the pandemic's body count rise because the CCP failed in its promises to the world.  We're reading every morning new headlines of repression in Hong Kong and in Xinjiang.

We're seeing staggering statistics of Chinese trade abuses that cost American jobs and strike enormous blows to the economies all across America, including here in southern California.  And we're watching a Chinese military that grows stronger and stronger, and indeed more menacing.

I'll echo the questions ringing in the hearts and minds of Americans from here in California to my home state of Kansas and beyond:

What do the American people have to show now 50 years on from engagement with China?

Did the theories of our leaders that proposed a Chinese evolution towards freedom and democracy prove to be true?

Is this China's definition of a win-win situation?

And indeed, centrally, from the Secretary of State's perspective, is America safer?  Do we have a greater likelihood of peace for ourselves and peace for the generations which will follow us?

Look, we have to admit a hard truth.  We must admit a hard truth that should guide us in the years and decades to come, that if we want to have a free 21st century, and not the Chinese century of which Xi Jinping dreams, the old paradigm of blind engagement with China simply won't get it done.  We must not continue it and we must not return to it.

As President Trump has made very clear, we need a strategy that protects the American economy, and indeed our way of life.  The free world must triumph over this new tyranny.

Now, before I seem too eager to tear down President Nixon's legacy, I want to be clear that he did what he believed was best for the American people at the time, and he may well have been right.
View Quote
There's a lot more where that came from!!!!

Back to the second article:
The legislation is a clear violation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Most of the countries that stand to be affected have been expressing their anxiety and opposing China's new Coast Guard Law, as it has exacerbated tensions in the South and East China Sea disputes and affects the interests of other claimants such as Japan, Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Indonesia.
View Quote

China's bullying tactics are most effective when the target state is deeply polarized or lacks the capacity to resist Chinese aggressive behavior. Without well-coordinated collaboration to counter China's aggressive policies over the past decade, the South China Sea has almost reached the point where China can freely impose what it wants on this international body of water.

In response to the situation, the United States is reinforcing its alliance commitments to Japan and the Philippines, and sending its own coastguard to establish a presence in the region. In the phone call between President Joe Biden and Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, the United States reaffirmed its defense treaty with Japan, which Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, Secretary of State Antony Blinken, and Biden himself have confirmed applies to the Senkakus.

Along with the United States and Japan, India and Australia have become more engaged than ever in the regional security environment through the Quad. Taiwan has welcomed the Biden administration's commitment to strengthen relations and increase defense sales. Vietnam must also confront the limits of its hedging strategy and the risks of dealing with China alone. Partnerships and alliances have been galvanized by concerns over China's behavior, and the list of security partners may soon expand as China accelerates it maritime militarization.
View Quote
Last article is from January, 2024:
Has the China Coast Guard Reached Its Limit?

Within the space of a decade the China Coast Guard (CCG) has become the largest coast guard force in the world. It was created by unifying five different maritime constabulary forces and allocated a huge number of assets of different sizes and supported by large amounts of funding.

Since then the CCG has made its presence felt particularly in the contested waters of the East and South China Seas in the first island chain where it supports Beijing's claims to maritime territory within its long-held 'nine-dash line' policy.
View Quote
However, despite creating heightened tensions at sea by disrupting naval operations, fishing, oil exploration and drilling activities of states in the South China Sea and regularly encroaching on the maritime territory of Japan's Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, the CCG may have reached the peak of its power but with little to show for it.

The pressure the CCG has exerted on its neighbours has not resulted in any specific gains for Beijing in terms of securing its maritime claims and arguably has only galvanised opposition to China.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

The CCG was created in 2013 through the amalgamation of the China Maritime Police Bureau, China Maritime Surveillance, Fisheries Law Enforcement Command and the Anti-Smuggling Bureau, blending them into a more overtly paramilitary organisation.

China's Maritime Safety Agency however was left out due to its less paramilitary nature focussing on traditional coast guard activities including ship safety and maritime navigation and infrastructure.
View Quote

This unification of agencies saw the transfer of existing assets and personnel into the CCG, which wanted to operate more like other coast guard forces, such as the US Coast Guard, as a primary constabulary force operating further out from its coastal waters and littorals.

However, the CCG has an additional unique mission known as 'right enforcement operations' whereby it goes out into disputed waters, maintains a visible presence, tries to enforce Chinese domestic law and contests the efforts by other states to administer those waters.
View Quote

To better support this mission the CCG has been given a large inventory of ships, either transferred from the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) or built new specifically for the task of coercion. The US DoD's China Military Power Report in 2022 cited the 2021 transfer of 22 Type 056 Jiangdao-class corvettes from the PLAN to the CCG as an example of military platforms crossing jurisdictions.

The report also cited a US Naval War College study from 2019 that estimated that the CCG operates over 140 oceangoing patrol vessels of more than 900 tonnes displacement, over 120 patrol combatants ranging from 450-900 tonnes and about 450 coastal patrol craft of 90-450 tonnes.

The report said that the new purpose-built ships are larger and include helicopter facilities, water cannon, interceptor boats, and are fitted with guns from 20-76mm. An example is the Zhaotao-class cutters   two 165m-long 10,000 tonne ships that entered CCG service in 2015 and are the largest coast guard vessels in the world.

Meanwhile of the 10 new classes of CCG ship that have entered service the CCG's six new 3,600 tonne Zhaoduan-class (Type 818) introduced in 2016-17 are based on the PLAN's Type 054A (Jiangkai II-class) frigates and its three 1,500 tonne Zhaogao-class cutters delivered in 2015-16 are based on the Type 056 corvettes.
View Quote
More words are coming!!! If you need to bail, I understand!!!!
Poling said that the reason the CCG was able to secure so much funding and new prerogatives from the Chinese government is because the concepts of maritime rights protection "has been at the core of Xi Xinping's political programme since he was elevated to the presidency." President Xi's first 'China dream' speech in 2013 featured a big component about China's rise as a maritime power and the re-taking of lost maritime territory and the CCG was created for this purpose.

The paramilitary nature of the CCG was solidified in 2018 when control of the organisation was passed from the civilian administration in the Ministry of Public Security and State Oceanic Administration to military administrators in the Central Military Commission (CMC) through the People's Armed Police (PAP). The PAP is responsible for internal security, maritime security and supports the People's Liberation Army (PLA) during conflict.
View Quote

This is significant because Beijing views the maritime areas and islands it is claiming under the nine-dash line as its own territory and therefore an internal security problem. This was reinforced by China's 2021 Coast Guard Law that authorised the use of weapons by the CCG against vessels in specific circumstances that Beijing says are in waters under Chinese jurisdiction.

It also gives the CCG permission to destroy buildings, structures and floating devices from foreign organisations.
View Quote

The DoD's China Military Power Report also highlights the growing interoperability and integration between the PLAN, CCG and the People's Armed Forces Maritime Militia (PAFMM). It said that PAFMM units are "often used to supplement CCG cutters at the forefront of the incident, giving the Chinese the capacity to outweigh and outlast rival claimants." Although the PAFMM personnel are marine industry personnel or fisherman they are often trained by the PLAN or CCG and are ready to respond when called upon.
View Quote
There's a lot more going on here!! If you can take the time to at least skim the articles presented to get a better idea of what is coming.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#43]
Got some Score Cards!!! We have a new stable pattern:
Taiwan tracks 12 Chinese military aircraft and 8 naval ships
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 12 Chinese military aircraft and eight naval vessels between 6 a.m. on Friday (June 14) and the same time Saturday (June 15).

Of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, seven entered the southwest corner of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Taiwan tracks 7 Chinese naval ships, 6 military aircraft around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked seven Chinese naval vessels and six military aircraft around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Saturday (June 15) and 6 a.m. on Sunday (June 16).

Of the six People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, four crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the northern and southwestern sectors of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked Chinese military aircraft 158 times and naval/coast guard vessels 132 times.
View Quote
The pattern has to do with one day a big number of PLAAF aircraft (I'm assuming PLAAF and not PLAN), then a smaller number the next day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I have two stories to make up for postponing Propaganda Friday.

More KMT shenanigans:
KMT delegation from Taiwan meets China's Wang Huning at Straits Forum

KMT deputy chair affirms party's commitment to '1992 consensus' with Chinese leaders
View Quote
I'm reordering the story organization because of a Name (Lian) that appears without context. It could just be a typo, or the original editing process goofed up.
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The 16th Straits Forum, organized by the Kuomintang (KMT) and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), took place in Xiamen on Saturday (June 15).

At the start of the forum, KMT Deputy Chair Lien Sheng-wen (   ) met with the chair of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference Wang Huning (   ). During their meeting, Lian affirmed the KMT's acceptance of the "1992 consensus" and that the KMT remains opposed to Taiwan independence, reported UDN.
View Quote
On Saturday, Wang greeted the Taiwanese contingent and extended a welcome on behalf of Chinese leader Xi Jinping (   ). He said the Straits Forum demonstrates the desire of both sides of the strait to improve cross-strait relations, and also called on Taiwanese and Chinese to work together toward the "Great Rejuvenation of the Chinese Motherland."
View Quote
Lien, who is leading the KMT contingent for the first time at the Straits Forum, lauded the CCP's efforts to create a Fujian Cross-Strait Integration and Development Demonstration Zone. He added the KMT would continue to develop good relations between Taiwan and China, per UDN.

The KMT contingent includes the magistrate of Yunlin Chang Li-shan (   ), deputy magistrate of Kinmen Li Wen-liang (   ), as well as KMT legislators Chen Yu-chen (   ), Chen Hsueh-sheng (   ), and Su Ching-chuan (   ).
View Quote

The ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has never accepted the "1992 consensus" that Beijing asserts is a prerequisite to official talks between the governments of Taipei and Beijing. The position of both the Lai administration and the preceding Tsai administration is that accepting the "1992 consensus" would amount to a rejection of Taiwan's sovereignty.  
View Quote

"Lian" wasn't mentioned twice, nor in the '#' tags at the end of the story, so our best guess is it's a typo, and "Lien" is the actual attritable quote.

We covered the "1992 Consensus" pages ago, maybe around the Election time?? January? Can't remember.

For those new to the thread, the 1992 Consensus was an ambigous statement accepted by both the CCP and the KMT regarding the status of a "One China." Neither country promulgated a treaty etc. about this. The CCP meant it to be that the PRC was the One China while the KMT meant it to be that the ROC was the one China.

Here's an excerpt from the Diplomat about it:
The 1992 Consensus: Why It Worked and Why It Fell Apart
Today, with relations between the governments in Taipei and Beijing at their lowest level in decades, many view the 1992 Consensus with skepticism. In part this is due to its ambiguity: The consensus rests on an agreement between the KMT and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) that there is only one China   though both sides define China differently. A careful analysis of the key documents leading up to and in the aftermath of the 1992 meetings, however, reveals that the Consensus was not intended to resolve these differences. Nor was it created to simply paper over them. Rather, these documents suggest that what the negotiators sought to formulate was a framework to manage the cross-strait relationship within what they recognized to be an "irresolvable conflict." They succeeded for as long as the two governments were content to stay within this framework.
View Quote

28 years later, the PRC/CCP now says that "One China" means a system similar to Macua and Hong Kong. Those two islands were ruled by a Chinese government of one type or another when they were leased by colonial powers. The same cannot be said for Formosa, now called Taiwan.

Also for another bit of recent historical context, a few years ago, the KMT, during an election cycle, of course, publically rejected the concept of "One China" flat out.

Now it appears that the KMT is now again saying yes to the concept of "One China," but the KMT is going further saying they are against "Taiwan Independence."

Of course, there's no further statements of what Taiwan Independence means in this context. The KMT created the Repuplic of China in circa 1911, and it still exists today. It's just that it doesn't exist in the PRC, only outside of the PRC.

More obfuscation, yes, but rest assured this new move by the KMT was done to benefit the KMT.

And here's the story I bookmarked about the PLA officer and his clumsy attempt to insert himself into Taiwan, so he's calling it a defection now, but I was too lazy to post it!! (again, apologies.)
Chinese man in motorboat arrested in Tamsui, New Taipei
The Coast Guard began monitoring the small boat around 11 a.m. after it was six nautical miles (11 kilometers) from Tamsui. The public also reported the suspicious vessel to authorities as it approached Fisherman's Wharf, reported CNA.

The Coast Guard dispatched a patrol boat and officers on land to intercept the motorboat and arrest the suspect. The man was reportedly around 60 years old and claimed that he came to Taiwan seeking freedom, per UDN.

Reports indicated the man rode on a larger boat from Fuzhou past the Taiwan Strait median line and then boarded the smaller vessel to get to shore. The man reportedly told officers he intended to enter Taiwan illegally.  
View Quote

Oh, there's a third one!! I had another story bookmarked. The American Institute in Taiwan is the closest thing there is for an Ambassador and an embassy since the US decided to recognize the PRC as China.
AIT looking forward to delivery of US weapons backlog to Taiwan

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The outgoing director of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said Friday (June 14) that the institute is looking forward to long-delayed weapons shipments to Taiwan as supply chain issues are resolved.

While hosting the last press conference of her three-year tenure, Sandra Oudkirk, the de facto U.S. ambassador to Taiwan, said supporting Taiwan's self-defense capabilities is a "top priority" for the AIT, per UDN. She said U.S weapons production backlogs resulting from the pandemic are easing and the AIT looks forward to delivering the arms purchased by Taiwan over the years.
View Quote

When asked to comment on the progress of U.S. arms sales to Taiwan, Oudkirk said "bolstering Taiwan's ability to defend itself is AIT's top priority." She stressed that this approach fully complies with the Taiwan Relations Act and other longstanding commitments to Taiwan.
View Quote
Oudkirk said that while she wouldn't discuss breakthroughs in specific cases, it's important to note that the U.S. manufacturing sector, including military equipment and weapons production, was impacted by supply chain disruptions during the pandemic. She said these problems are "unwinding" and "We look forward to the delivery of the military capabilities that Taiwan has purchased over the past several years."
View Quote
So, the weapons are still on the way!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Score Cards! We still have a continuation of one day heavy aircraft, one day heavy day of ships:
Taiwan tracks 10 Chinese naval ships, 2 military aircraft around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 10 Chinese naval vessels and two military aircraft around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Sunday (June 16) and 6 a.m. on Monday (June 17).

The two People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the southwest corner of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Taiwan tracks 20 Chinese military aircraft, 7 naval ships around nation
AIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 20 Chinese military aircraft and seven naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Monday (June 17) and 6 a.m. on Tuesday (June 18).

Of the 20 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 12 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line and entered the southwestern and southeastern sectors of the country's air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked Chinese military aircraft 180 times and naval/coast guard vessels 149 times.
View Quote
We're getting a definite pattern of where ships will be going and where aircraft will be flying. How accurate it is in real life, that's a different question. This all could be for show and a false pattern. For a real invasion, Ships may be staging in the East while the Aircraft are loitering in the West which is the opposite of what they've been showing for the last few days.

But again with this perspective, back when I was in the Air Force, US by the way, a Red Flag consisting of 100s of aircraft at Nellis AFB would be joined by aircraft originating from other bases in other states. I have no information to suggest that the PLAAF has ever had hundreds of aircraft in the same area at the same time flying around at "military" speed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
This would be the second time this has happened since April when a Chinese Coast Guard broadsided a wooden hulled civilian Philippine boat injuring two sailors and damaging the boat.

Let's grab some qoutes:
China and the Philippines are blaming each other for a maritime collision that occurred Monday in the South China Sea near the Spratly Islands. Manila says the incident occurred in its exclusive economic zone when Chinese vessels engaged in dangerous maneuvers, but China's coast guard blames a Philippine supply ship.

The incident is the latest in a string of confrontations in the disputed waters between the Philippines and China. Separately, just hours after the incident occurred, the United States said in a statement that it completed joint naval exercises in the Philippines' EEZ with the Philippines, Japan and Canada.

According to China's coast guard, a Philippine supply ship "deliberately and dangerously" made its way to one of China's ships. The Chinese coast guard said the result was a minor collision after the supply ship "illegally intruded" by the submerged reef of Second Thomas Shoal in the Spratly Islands, a territory claimed by several nations.

In a statement on the social media app WeChat, the Chinese coast guard said the supply ship "ignored China's repeated solemn warnings   and dangerously approached a Chinese vessel in normal navigation in an unprofessional manner, resulting in a collision."
"solemn warnings" is an interesting phrase.

The Philippine government did not comment directly on the incident itself but has pushed back against the accusation from China.

"We will not dignify the deceptive and misleading claims of the China Coast Guard," said Xerxes Trinidad, chief of the Philippine armed forces' public affairs office.

"The continued aggressive actions of the CCG are escalating tensions in the region."
In a separate statement, Manila's national task force on the West Philippine Sea   the name the Philippines uses for parts of the South China Sea in its EEZ   said China damaged Philippine boats after ramming them in a confrontation.

"The People's Liberation Army Navy, China Coast Guard and the Chinese Maritime Militia vessels engaged in dangerous maneuvers, including ramming and towing," the task force said. "Their actions put at risk the lives of our personnel and damaged our boats."

The US response was...fuck it. I was going to make a joke, but here's the best the US Ambassador could do:
In a post on X, U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines MaryKay Carlson condemned China's "aggressive, dangerous" maneuvers, adding that the collision had "caused bodily injury."
We're bad ass.

China's Foreign Ministry has described the coast guard's recent activity as "professional, restrained, reasonable and lawful."

China claims almost all of the South China Sea, which generates over $3 trillion maritime commerce annually. This includes parts claimed by the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei.

Monday's incident comes as China has taken steps to enhance enforcement in waters it claims as its own. Beijing recently announced new rules, effective June 15, that it says allow its coast guard to employ lethal force against foreign ships in its territorial waters and hold suspected trespassers without trial for 60 days.

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#49]
This should have been the message from the other day, not what the US Ambassador to the Philippines said.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I tried to find some video of the collision on 17JUN24. No such luck for me.

I found two stories, though, with a better description of the collision. First up is the AP:
Philippine officials say Chinese forces seized 2 navy boats in disputed shoal, injuring sailors

MANILA, Philippines (AP)   Chinese forces seized two Philippine rubber boats that were delivering food and other supplies to a military outpost in a disputed South China Sea shoal in a tense confrontation in which some Filipino navy personnel were injured, Philippine security officials said Tuesday.
View Quote
The Chinese seized the boats in accordance with their new law covered several posts up above.
The United States renewed a warning Tuesday that it is obligated to defend the Philippines, a treaty ally, a day after the hourslong hostilities in Second Thomas Shoal. The shoal has been occupied by a small Philippine navy contingent aboard a long-grounded warship that has been closely monitored by China's coast guard and navy in a yearslong territorial standoff.
View Quote

There is fear that territorial disputes in the South China Sea, long regarded as an Asian flashpoint, could escalate and pit the United States and China in a larger conflict. China and the Philippines blamed each other for Monday's hostilities, the most serious in recent months, but provided few details.
View Quote

Two Philippine security officials, who had knowledge of the supply mission at the shoal, separately told The Associated Press that two rubber boats manned by Filipino navy personnel had approached the BRP Sierra Madre at the shoal to deliver fresh supplies when several Chinese coast guard personnel on speedboats arrived to disrupt the mission, sparking a scuffle and collisions.

At least eight of the Filipinos were injured, including one who lost a thumb, in the scuffle, said one of the two officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were under orders not to discuss the high-seas confrontation publicly.

Five of the injured sailors were rescued by one of two Philippine coast guard patrol ships that were waiting at a distance to back up the navy's supply mission at the shoal. The two rubber supply boats were towed away by Chinese coast guard personnel and then abandoned after being damaged and emptied of their contents, including an unspecified number of rifles, the two officials said. They were later recovered by the Filipino navy, they said.
View Quote
We posted the PRC version of "Solemn warnings" above as well.

Next story will have the US warning about the mutual defense pact, here's this about the Chinese law:
China has become increasingly assertive in pressing its claim to virtually the entire South China Sea, which has led to a rising number of direct conflicts with other countries in the region, most notably the Philippines and Vietnam.

A new Chinese law which took effect Saturday authorizes its coast guard to seize foreign ships "that illegally enter China's territorial waters" and to detain foreign crews for up to 60 days. The law renewed a reference to 2021 legislation that says China's coast guard can fire upon foreign ships if necessary.
View Quote
I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before the Chinese attempt to capture a philippino.

Philippine Sailor Severely Injured, Vessels Damaged as Chinese Block South China Sea Mission
(We're slowly putting together a picture of what happened:)
A Philippine sailor suffered severe injuries when Chinese forces blocked an Armed Forces of the Philippines resupply mission in the South China Sea, Pentagon officials confirmed to USNI News. The AFP mission to resupply the BRP Sierra Madre (LT-57) outpost at Second Thomas Shoal also resulted in damage to an unknown number of Philippine vessels.

The Philippine sailor was injured as a result of the "PRC vessels' dangerous and deliberate use of water cannons, ramming, and blocking maneuvers," reads a Monday statement from Office of the Secretary of Defense spokesperson U.S. Army Maj Pete Nguyen to USNI News.

This is the third instance of Philippine personnel getting injured by Chinese forces in their missions to resupply the Marine outpost at Second Thomas Shoal. The South China Sea feature has been the site of numerous incidents between China and the Philippines. These encounters have since escalated to include the injury of Philippine personnel, with the first reported incident injuring four sailors during a March resupply mission.
View Quote

What is different about this time and why there's no video available might be answered in these two paragraphs:
While the Pentagon referred USNI News to the Philippine government for additional details, Manila has not released imagery nor a timeline of events since the incident. When China blocked previous resupply missions, officials have quickly released images and videos.

Jay Tarriela, a spokesperson for the National Task Force for the West Philippine Sea, told reporters that he could not comment on the incident, as it was an Armed Forces of the Philippines operation. Tarriela in the past has been quick to issue statements on Chinese blockades.
View Quote
Here's more information, well, it's a little bit more information about the towing off of the philipine boats:
Meanwhile, a Philippine government release from the National Task Force on the West Philippine Sea stated that ships from the People's Liberation Army Navy, China Coast Guard and Chinese Maritime Militia performed "dangerous maneuvers." However, there is no mention of injury to Philippine personnel in the release.

The statement also claimed that Chinese forces rammed and towed Philippine vessels, although it's unclear to what extent the latter occurred during the incident. This is the first reported instance of China towing   defined as pulling, pushing or hauling   Philippine vessels in their South China Sea disputes.
View Quote
Again, the US Ambassador to the Philippines did no favors with her wishy-washy statement. Here are the professionals:
"We stand with our Philippine allies and condemn the escalatory and irresponsible actions by the PRC to deny the Philippines from executing a lawful maritime operation in the South China Sea," reads the Pentagon statement.

Manilla and Washington have a mutual defense pact that could go into effect if Chinese forces attack Philippine Armed Forces or Philippine Coast Guard personnel.

"The United States reaffirms that Article IV of the 1951 U.S.-Philippines Mutual Defense Treaty extends to armed attacks on Philippine armed forces, public vessels, or aircraft   including those of its Coast Guard   anywhere in the South China Sea," reads a March U.S. State Department statement to USNI News.

In May, Philippine president Fredinand Marcos said that the death of any Filipino during operations in the South China Sea would "cross a red line."

"If a Filipino citizen was killed by a wilful act, that is very close to what we define as an act of war," Marcos said in May during the Shagri-La dialouge. "We would have crossed the Rubicon. Is that a red line? Almost certainly."
View Quote

Lastly, the Taipei Times offers this small description:
China blames the Philippines for ship collision in the South China Sea

Two speedboats   attempting to deliver construction materials and other supplies to a military vessel stationed at the shoal   accompanied the supply ship, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, describing its coast guard's maneuver as "professional, restrained, reasonable and lawful."
View Quote

Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top