Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 54
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
They were saying this when we were at State, I don't know if you remember. They were a lot of MSS guys around, and like two FBI guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The title is "bigger" than the story.

The story is about how China is dominating the PIF.

Here's the most important quote of the story, and it's the end of the story as well:
He added: "Washington must convince the region that it is willing to impose real costs on Beijing   more than just diplomatic statements."
Some of you may remember earlier in the year when Carmel posted a Congressional hearing with the State Dept, DOD rep and somebody else ineffectual?
The State Dept declared that they "have a plan" to counter all of this. Part of this plan is to "listen." Part of this plan is to "be present."
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
They were saying this when we were at State, I don't know if you remember. They were a lot of MSS guys around, and like two FBI guys.
View Quote

I remember the FBI guys
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#4]
What did you see in this article, Brother, that I'm missing?

It's Time, so let's go talk to anti-americans. But...I read it three times and just came to the conclusion that this guy is less of an asshole than Duterte is, but he's totally anti-Trump (and never dealt with him apparently), agnostic with the Biden Admin and pro-Chinese, therefore he's in the running for Time's "Man of the Year."
It's all I got. Let me know if I missed it completely, please, because I'm thinking I am!
View Quote

A lot of the Pacific islands nations reps were repeating this line at the recent Pan Pacific meeting
I always look for patterns

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
This is really a very interesting story. It was written at great lengths to show how the awe inspiring CCP-led government is trying to perserve the value of the stocks from moving in either direction (increasing in price or decreasing in price.)

The Big Question is why?

We just had the Third Plenum which you were all invited to, and the Third Plenum is normally about Economic Progress, or who gets the the blame for the lack of it.

Here are some other factors that were covered and not covered in the article (It's a long article):
  • glut in steel pricing due to big supply
  • China leads in naval ship building
  • China competes with South Korea and Japan for commercial ship building
  • There aren't enough gay, lesbian, trans welders to get the US back into ship building business because not enough of you believe that diversity is our strength.
South Korea just did something similar less than two months ago. Prediction:
China is going to make a play to increase their marketshare by offering very low price commercial ship building to customers in order to close down South Korean and Japanese ship yards.

It is their MO after all, flooding the market space with very low priced product, even if it's crap, to chase other companies out of the market place. Obviously making lousy ships that sink all the time can't be part of this plan, so they'll offer standard quality at cost or at a loss for this plan.
View Quote

Africa gets some ships lol

China pledges $51 billion for Africa infrastructural projects and job creation
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Now, I know this next story has been all over the news, but they're missing something right in front of their noses as they re-tell this tale:
Ex-aide to New York governors allegedly prevented interactions with Taiwan diplomats

Gentlemen, your average commie traitor does not make this kind of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is Rock-Star money.

They are not your average commie traitors. They are connected "up" the CCP, and I would not be surprised if the connection's at the Politburo level. I wonder what the Harris-Biden Admin will trade these two for?

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:03:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Okay.......
Score Card!!! with Flight Tracker!!!
We already covered the numbers, but here it is for posterity's sake:
China sends 19 military aircraft and 9 ships around Taiwan

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 19 Chinese military aircraft, seven naval vessels, and two official ships around Taiwan between 6 a.m. Thursday (Sept. 5) and 6 a.m. Friday (Sept. 6).

Of the 19 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 15 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line and entered the eastern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND. These included fighter jets, drones, and helicopters, with one of the helicopters detected to the southeast of Taiwan.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, the MND has tracked 83 Chinese military aircraft and 47 ships.
View Quote
They posted a picture of the PLAAF J-10:
Attachment Attached File

It looks a lot like that little Israeli number...Lav-something-or-other. It's a small World afterall.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

A lot of the Pacific islands nations reps were souring this line at the recent Pan Pacific meeting

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1840-3314392.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What did you see in this article, Brother, that I'm missing?

It's Time, so let's go talk to anti-americans. But...I read it three times and just came to the conclusion that this guy is less of an asshole than Duterte is, but he's totally anti-Trump (and never dealt with him apparently), agnostic with the Biden Admin and pro-Chinese, therefore he's in the running for Time's "Man of the Year."
It's all I got. Let me know if I missed it completely, please, because I'm thinking I am!

A lot of the Pacific islands nations reps were souring this line at the recent Pan Pacific meeting

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1840-3314392.jpg
Got it!!!! and Right On!!!!!

We don't have a "thumbs up" emoji!! This will be the place holder until this injustice is rectified:
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The Nuclear Submarine Building Capacity of China’s Bohai Shipyard

The Bohai Shipyard, located in Huludao in Liaoning province, China, is the country’s only shipyard engaged in the construction of nuclear submarines. The yard has expanded since its inception and is poised to grow further in the coming years. With some of the new facilities having already been commissioned, there has been a considerable increase in the throughput of the yard. This report examines the augmentation of facilities at the Bohai shipyard and makes an assessment on the new build rate of nuclear submarines. It finds that China appears to have completed the iterative process of spiral development and has now moved to the phase of rapid serial construction.

https://www.orfonline.org/research/the-nuclear-submarine-building-capacity-of-china-s-bohai-shipyard

For those who want to know more about Chinas nuclear submarine shipyard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay.......

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1737/aa7eaf91de49484fafd523d258dba833_jpg-3314552.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1737/2020_06_19_87626669bc384127a8b6180033eb6-3314553.JPG
It looks a lot like that little Israeli number...Lav-something-or-other. It's a small World afterall.
View Quote

Israel transferred a lot of tech over the years, even against US pleas

Took them getting rocked by North Korean weapons & tunnels in Lebanon and China’s fuck off over Gaza to wake up and smell the coffee
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
The Nuclear Submarine Building Capacity of China's Bohai Shipyard

The Bohai Shipyard, located in Huludao in Liaoning province, China, is the country's only shipyard engaged in the construction of nuclear submarines. The yard has expanded since its inception and is poised to grow further in the coming years. With some of the new facilities having already been commissioned, there has been a considerable increase in the throughput of the yard. This report examines the augmentation of facilities at the Bohai shipyard and makes an assessment on the new build rate of nuclear submarines. It finds that China appears to have completed the iterative process of spiral development and has now moved to the phase of rapid serial construction.

https://www.orfonline.org/research/the-nuclear-submarine-building-capacity-of-china-s-bohai-shipyard

View Quote
Prior to this expansion they could build SSNs or SSBNs, not both.  They need both.   Although they appear to have a bastion strategy in the yellow sea for their SSBNs.  Basically they sail them to a protected area where our subs can't get them and pop off SLBMs from there.  Russia has a similar idea in the white sea behind the Kola.  They trapped one of thier own subs in the bastion defense last year, details are sparse but it sounded like they killed most of the crew in the yellow sea.

I think SSBNs are a lower priority for them.   They don't yet have an effective triad but they've invested heavily in land based silos in the last couple years.

Their actual submarine quieting and sensors are behind the curve the last time I saw them discussed but having yard capacity goes a long way toward iterating faster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Israel transferred a lot of tech over the years, even against US pleas

Took them getting rocked by North Korean weapons & tunnels in Lebanon and China's fuck off over Gaza to wake up and smell the coffee
View Quote
Have they though?  I guess we'll find out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay.......

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1737/aa7eaf91de49484fafd523d258dba833_jpg-3314552.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1737/2020_06_19_87626669bc384127a8b6180033eb6-3314553.JPG
View All Quotes
Okay.......

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 19 Chinese military aircraft, seven naval vessels, and two official ships around Taiwan between 6 a.m. Thursday (Sept. 5) and 6 a.m. Friday (Sept. 6).

Of the 19 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 15 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line and entered the eastern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND. These included fighter jets, drones, and helicopters, with one of the helicopters detected to the southeast of Taiwan.
So far this month, the MND has tracked 83 Chinese military aircraft and 47 ships.

Harbor Freight F-16
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#16]
The Nuclear Submarine Building Capacity of China's Bohai Shipyard

The Bohai Shipyard, located in Huludao in Liaoning province, China, is the country's only shipyard engaged in the construction of nuclear submarines. The yard has expanded since its inception and is poised to grow further in the coming years. With some of the new facilities having already been commissioned, there has been a considerable increase in the throughput of the yard. This report examines the augmentation of facilities at the Bohai shipyard and makes an assessment on the new build rate of nuclear submarines. It finds that China appears to have completed the iterative process of spiral development and has now moved to the phase of rapid serial construction.

View Quote
That was a well researched article. It comes with a downloadable PDF link for those of you that have digital reference libraries. I scanned it, no bug-a-boos. The satellite photos are from google earth. Admiral Monty did a very good job I would. How accurate is the assessment is always the question, but it's a manufacturing facility and secondary ops always cost money even if it's in the name of National Security, so we can expect very little subterfuge in the facility lay out.

It's worth the read!!  It gets two thumbs up from me!!! Again, this injustice must be rectified.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Score Card!!!
China dispatches 9 military aircraft and 8 ships around Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense tracked nine Chinese military aircraft, seven naval vessels, and one official ship around Taiwan between 6 a.m. Friday (Sept. 6) and the same time Saturday.

One of the aircraft crossed the Taiwan Strait median line. The defense ministry said it monitored the situation and acted accordingly.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked 92 Chinese military aircraft and 55 ships.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Harbor Freight F-16
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
Okay.......

Harbor Freight F-16
Well played, Sir! Well played!

Now back to my Vince Edward movie where he fights wearing short sleeve shirts and a tie...like a real American!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Now back to my Vince Edward movie where he fights wearing short sleeve shirts and a tie...like a real American!!!!!!!!
View Quote

He would have appreciated that. If you remember that Ford Thunderbird I was driving in the 1990s, he gave it to me after he married my Mom
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]

He would have appreciated that. If you remember that Ford Thunderbird I was driving in the 1990s, he gave it to me after he married my Mom
View All Quotes

The "ammo carrier" FTW!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's some bookmarked stories I have waiting for further context, but it ain't happening! yet!!! One never knows about these things.

You may remember we covered the increase in time draftees would be spending in their training period. Previously, it was 4 months. Now, it's one year:
Army provides more equipment to conscripts amid shortage complaints

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   More equipment has been provided to four brigades, Taiwan's Army Command said on Tuesday (Aug. 27), following complaints of shortages.

The Army Command said it has stepped in to assist the units in resolving the issue, CNA reported. To address the needs of the first four brigades about to begin further training, the command said it would prioritize the redistribution of equipment through an allocation process to ensure they have all the necessary training gear.
View Quote

The command explained that the brigades, part of expanded mobilization units, would be supplemented with personnel and equipment according to mobilization regulations. The command said it would gradually adjust the annual budget and phased equipment acquisition, ensuring the units' actual needs were met.

Earlier, the Ministry of National Defense also said that it had completed the redistribution of general equipment based on training standards.
View Quote

Taiwan reinstated a one-year mandatory military service in January. The first batch of conscripts have completed their basic training and have been assigned to Army brigades. The conscripts are expected to start 13 weeks of training in September.

Under former President Tsai Ing-wen (   ), basic training for conscripts was changed to eight weeks. To enhance individual rifle firing accuracy, a rapid response shooting technique was implemented.

Target practice was also enhanced to integrate battlefield scenarios and the number of rounds fired was increased to 160 for soldiers to have a solid foundation in marksmanship.

In June, Defense Minister Wellington Koo (   ) announced the elimination of bayonet training and goose-step marching as they are impractical for modern combat.
View Quote
They will be spending more time on marksmenship which is always a good thing. It's a perishable skill after all, and it's real easy to return to bad habits if you're not thinking and practicing good habits.

Another increase in Training hours story:
Taiwan Navy sends 22 officers overseas for light frigate training
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Navy plans to send 22 officers to Europe and North America next year to train on battle management and radar systems for its new light frigates, reports said Tuesday (Sept. 3).

An anti-submarine and an air defense variant should be ready in 2026, with 12 light frigates to replace the aging Chi Yang-class frigates. According to Ministry of National Defense (MND) documents for its 2025 budget, the Navy will spend NT$4.96 million (US$154,800) to send the officers overseas, per the Liberty Times.

The Navy will first select 16 officers to study the battle management system for the ships in North America in January, June, and July 2025. For the radar systems, three officers will travel to Europe in June and three others in October.
View Quote

The MND did not say where in Europe the study program will take place. The intention is for the students to turn into teachers to other Navy staff after their return to Taiwan.
View Quote

The light frigates will reportedly be equipped with the UK-made BAE Systems Type 997 Artisan radar. The company described the system as a medium-range air and surface surveillance 3D radar with electronic protection measures to counter jammers.
View Quote
This story does have a context now that GoldenMead posted another one of those wonderful charts, up above, that show Frigate sized ships are sort of becoming the "go to" for Surface Warfare. I'm guess that's due to cost, and then there are the side benefits of less crew loss at a time (that's not really a benefit; it's a rationalization), and it's easier to "hide" (not really a good choice for smaller emissions and wake) out in the Ocean.

I started with the training stories first because training is to important to neglect, and no matter what the cost of doing it is, it's way cheaper to pay that then the imaginary "imaginary" savings of not training.

Let me give you a radical example: North Korea's invasion of South Korea in 1950 was actually the third invasion they did since 1946. The Norks were very well practiced by 1950.

The first American draftees who ended up in Korea did their Basic Training on slow ships to the Korean Peninsula. They were nothing more than cannon fodder. To me, this just doesn't border criminalized conduct by Leadership, it is a sincere failing of Leadership especially since after all the happy talk of the 1947 National Security Act.

Here's a less radical example: It's always been my opinion that most discipline problems in any unit are due to lack of training. Training gives an individual a belief in his own abilities to get things done, that his equipment actually works and can be relied on, that he can rely on his peers to act as a team, and that Leadership knows what they're doing in spite of them being a bunch of assholes. Without all of this, you have one individual who is insecure about not just his abilities to carry out his duty, but he's very insecure about his survival. Others begin to realize the same thing and quickly, and then you end of with the Korean Peninsula of 1950.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Taiwan deepens drone trade with Arizona
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) signed a memorandum of cooperation with the Arizona Taiwan Trade and Investment Office on Monday (Sept 2.), calling for more drone and semiconductor exchanges.

According to an Industrial Development Administration (IDA) press release on Tuesday (Sept. 3), Arizona Commerce Authority (ACA) President and CEO Sandra Watson led the delegation. The cooperation aims to enhance drone and technology supply chains between Taiwan and Arizona, per CNA.
View Quote

IDA Deputy Director General Chen Pei-li (   ) said military drones have gained attention due to the Russo-Ukrainian War, while commercial drones in communications, transportation, and disaster relief operations are increasingly valued. Currently, China's DJI dominates global drone production, with Chinese drones holding 60-70% of the market, he explained.
View Quote

For national security reasons, Taiwan and the US should strive to create a non-red supply chain for drones, Chen added.

In terms of policy resources, Chen said the IDA provides subsidies for the development of key drone modules, such as payload, flight control, and AI image recognition. The goal is to enhance Taiwan's position in the global economy and promote it as a major player in the drone supply chain in Asia, he added.
View Quote

Watson said the delegation will visit the Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) and National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University (NYCU). She said she looks forward to cooperating with Taiwan on drones and semiconductor technologies.
View Quote
This is just another story that if Taiwan had to do it all over again, they wouldn't be waiting until the end of 2024 to do this!!!!

Time is never on your side, Gentlemen...unless you're a commie, then you believe it is which is why you always fail.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Now this is a very interesting story, and I wonder how the "people" would feel about it if a similar game was available here:
Taiwanese company develops board game based on Chinese invasion
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwanese company Mizo Games is developing a board game based on a nightmare scenario - the final 10 days of a hypothetical Chinese invasion of Taiwan.
View Quote

Mizo Games founder KJ Chang (   ) recently spoke to Taiwan News about 2045, his company's latest creation which is set to be released in January next year. So far, the sci-fi-cyberpunk-themed game has been met with enthusiasm from the company's fans, and a crowdfunding campaign for the game which began on Aug. 1 has since reached over NT$2 million (US$62,335).

The company has had success exploring conflict in Taiwan with its previous games. These include board games about US air raids on Taiwan during the Japanese colonial period, namely Raid on Taihoku, a cooperative game that involves surviving bombs falling on Taipei in 1945, and a similar game based on the US bombing of Kaohsiung in the same era.

Chang said the previous games' success sparked the idea for 2045. He emphasized that the game was created to be fun to play, but also said he hopes 2045 can provide a way for more people to think about how society would respond to the events presented in the game.
View Quote

Role play

Taiwan's outlying islands have already fallen when the first moves are made in 2045, and players are randomly assigned characters with identities ranging from pro-independence, pro-unification, military, commerce, organized crime, and local government. Players' characters determine their capabilities and final scores in the game.

Chang explained, "If Taiwan wins when the game finishes (i.e., the Chinese invasion is repelled) and my character has taken out the most PLA soldiers, then I'm likely to have the highest score."

"But if the Chinese Communist Party wins and I've taken out the most PLA soldiers, I will be exposed, and I'll probably end up in last place," he said. This point gets to the core of how players are expected to make their in-game decisions.

"It's definitely not the case that players must defend Taiwan in this game, it's every player for themselves," Chang said.

Chang said this meant tough decisions for players. Some who played demos of the game drew character cards completely at odds with their personal positions, but still found ways to uphold their values, he said.

Others have played faithfully to the character they were dealt. Taiwanese writer Chu Yu-Hsun (   ), whose work explores themes of Taiwanese identity, conflict, authoritarianism, and the historical impact of Chinese nationalism on Taiwan, ended up with a pro-unification character.

Chang said that Chu successfully supported the PLA in the game, and ensured the PLA invasion of Taiwan ended in victory for the invaders.

Chang also said Mizo Games contacted each of Taiwan's 113 legislators to offer them a chance to play. So far, current or former legislators from the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), Kuomintang (KMT), and independents have taken up the opportunity, alongside other policymakers and media members.

Seeing how different players' personal views and backgrounds interacted with the game highlighted the number of outcomes possible at its conclusion, Chang said. He said he hopes more people from different political backgrounds can experience the challenges presented by the game.
View Quote

Elephant in the room

When asked if he thinks it is appropriate to turn the subject of a possible cross-strait conflict into a game, Chang said games based on historical and imagined future wars are not uncommon, as are violent non-war related games.

"Taiwanese people of course hope that this will never happen, or that it only happens in a game," Chang said. However, he also said that setting the game in 2045 allows people to view the potential scenario at a distance, and consider what may come in the future.

Asked about the political nature of the game, Chang said he would rather let the work speak for itself. "We're a games company, and we really just want to make fun games," he said.

He said the dangers that Taiwan faces are well known, and he hopes the game can show players the range of possibilities that may occur in a conflict. "Taiwan might be divided, but people might also show solidarity; there are all different kinds of outcomes that might happen."
View Quote

Chang acknowledged the topic of 2045 has created barriers to its promotion and manufacturing. He said advertisements for the product on Meta's social media platforms may have been shadowbanned because of the subject, and at least one international board games exhibition asked Mizo Games to withdraw when they were told 2045 was in development.

The board and pieces for 2045 cannot be manufactured in China, unlike most other board games from Taiwanese companies, Chang said. However, he said even if Mizo Games had the choice, it would still prefer to support Taiwan suppliers and has found a factory to produce the game in New Taipei.

When the final version of 2045 is released, all of the gameplay materials and instructions will be provided in English and Chinese. Chang said he has been asked if a video game version of 2045 is possible, but there are no plans for this in the short term.
View Quote
Like I said, very interesting. I know any version for here, never trust the liberal white woman whichever side she's on!!!

There's also a "rap song" about it:

I like the video. No idea about the words or the pictographs flashing across the screen, but the video of places and peoples do show what's at stake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]
The Philippine Navy has logged the biggest-ever presence of Chinese ships and warships in the West Philippine Sea since it began publishing its weekly tallies.

A total of 203 ships of China Coast Guard (CCG) and Chinese maritime militia (CMM) as well as Chinese warships were recorded.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#29]
The Philippine Navy has logged the biggest-ever presence of Chinese ships and warships in the West Philippine Sea since it began publishing its weekly tallies.

A total of 203 ships of China Coast Guard (CCG) and Chinese maritime militia (CMM) as well as Chinese warships were recorded.
View All Quotes

The Chinese Coast Guard has around 500 ships and boats that previous posts have enumerated.

The Chinese Maritime Militia has around 300 craft that previous posts have enumerated, and typically it's a few PLAN Frigates that are in the area managing long range RADAR scans radio Command and Control.

Anyway you slice it, they committed 25% of their force here in the West Philippine Sea.

This action could account for the drop off of PLAAF sorties around Taiwan. The Taiwan News missed another 24-hour report period, so here's the MND statement - SCORE CARD!:
2024/09/08 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan  

1. Date

6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Saturday to Sunday, Sep. 7-8

2. PLA activities
 7 PLA aircraft, 6 PLAN vessels and 1 official ship operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 2 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's eastern ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
The monthly total is now 99 aircraft and 62 Ships.

However, there's also another reason why PLAAF sorties have dropped to the point where the Taiwan News doesn't feel the need to report on it.

It's the TPP corruption matter that engulfed Taiwan Politics. Here are several stories, and we're at the "very close to street protest" stage:
Court continues to hold Taipei ex-deputy mayor and others over corruption allegations despite appeals

TPP supporters organize silent protest for detained party founder Ko Wen-je

Taiwan People's Party protests in solidarity with Ko Wen-je

Remember to take any of these correlations with a "grain of salt", but for the PRC, street protests about politics is way better than flying around in circles to accomplish its goals of destabilization of Taiwanese society.

And as for the big maritime "hoedown" to the West of the Philippines, this entire thread has hosted two distinct propositions since it started:

Taiwan or the 9-Dash Line: which will the PRC go for?

For the PRC, this probably isn't their question. Their question is when and how do we take what we want? The meaning here is that to go for Taiwan is to defend the 9-Dash Line, and to go for the 9-Dash Line is to end up controlling Taiwan. In true arfcom fashion: get both.

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#30]
This is the second time the Germans have advertised this!! It may happen????
German Navy ships to sail through Taiwan Strait

Frigate and supply ship currently deployed on Indo-Pacific mission
View Quote
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The German Navy will send two ships through the Taiwan Strait this month.

The frigate Baden-Wurttemberg and the supply ship Frankfurt am Main will sail through the strait while en route from South Korea to Indonesia in mid-September, Der Spiegel reported. The two ships are on their Indo-Pacific deployment, which includes a round-the-world voyage.

Berlin does not intend to notify the Chinese government of the passage. Before their transit, the ships will participate in regional exercises, including monitoring the arms embargo against North Korea.

China had warned against traveling through the Taiwan Strait before the ships began their mission on May 7. Germany's defense and foreign ministry supported a strait transit, while the chancellor's office initially had reservations, per Der Spiegel.

Commenting on the deployment, Minister of Defense Boris Pistorius said in May, "We want to strengthen our regional partnerships and consolidate our position as a reliable actor in the region." The Indo-Pacific is "a region of increasingly global, strategic importance," he added.
View Quote

The German foreign ministry has said the Indo-Pacific has been a new partner in the government's Enable & Enhance initiative, which helps partners bolster their crisis prevention and management capabilities by providing consulting and necessary equipment.

Germany sent the frigate Bayern on an Indo-Pacific deployment from August 2021 to February 2022 focusing on "diplomacy and security policy," according to the German military. The Bayern participated in joint exercises with Australia, Singapore, Japan, and the US, but it did not sail through the Taiwan Strait.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#31]
This is the second time the Germans have advertised this!! It may happen????
German Navy ships to sail through Taiwan Strait

View Quote

I think it’s their way of saying “China please don’t upset the status quo”

Germany also has a new deal with TSMC
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202409/1319440.shtml
View All Quotes
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202409/1319440.shtml
LOL, I'm torn, Brother!! It's obvious bullshit, but they blame a female staffer who argues with them!!! Whom to believe????? LOL
Exclusive: Staff member at US consulate general in China openly spreads 'Taiwan independence' rhetoric
A staff member responsible for translation at a US consulate general in China has repeatedly spread rhetoric related to "Taiwan independence" during public activities, deliberately translating "the People's Republic of China" as "the Republic of China," a source familiar with the matter told the Global Times. The source added that the person, if she insists on behaving in such a way, is certainly unwelcome by the Chinese people.

According to the source, after the Chinese side pointed out the mistake, the US staff member refused to admit and instead accused the Chinese side of slander. In contact with Chinese personnel, this US staff member repeatedly issued extreme remarks such as "Taiwan is an independent country."

She even aggressively pushed local Chinese officials on foreign affairs during external events, displaying an arrogant demeanor, the source said.

The aforementioned source told the Global Times that "A staff member dispatched by the US government to China has behaved in such an inappropriate manner. It raises questions about whether the issue lies with her personally or with the lack of discipline within the US diplomatic missions in China."

But one thing is certain -- her words and actions have offended Chinese society, violated the US government's commitment to the one-China principle, and breached both the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations and the Consular Convention between the People's Republic of China and the United States.

The person, if she insists on behaving in such a way, is certainly unwelcome by the Chinese people, the source said.

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorry!! I should check before posting!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#34]
LOL, I'm torn, Brother!! It's obvious bullshit, but they blame a female staffer who argues with them!!! Whom to believe????? LOL

View Quote

In time I imagine wearing a sweatshirt with a Taiwan flag ala Top Gun Tom Cruise or being seen in a photograph with any Taiwanese China doesn’t like will constitute “encouraging separatism and independence”
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#35]

In time I imagine wearing a sweatshirt with a Taiwan flag ala Top Gun Tom Cruise or being seen in a photograph with any Taiwanese crust China doesn't like will constitute "encouraging separatism and independence"
View All Quotes

In time I imagine wearing a sweatshirt with a Taiwan flag ala Top Gun Tom Cruise or being seen in a photograph with any Taiwanese crust China doesn't like will constitute "encouraging separatism and independence"
All of those, plus showing youtube videos of Taiwanese street food vendors (I wonder when google will ban those?), and other innocuous activities, because as we all know, the only way to protect the Revolution is to kill off the Counter-revoluntionaries. There is no other way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#36]
All of those, plus showing youtube videos of Taiwanese street food vendors (I wonder when google will ban those?), and other innocuous activities, because as we all know, the only way to protect the Revolution is to kill off the Counter-revoluntionaries. There is no other way.
View Quote

Amazing how confident leftists are, from Berkeley to Beijing free speech is the enemy of the state yet supposedly Marxism is supposed to have such wide appeal to the masses
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Since i don’t know how to embed tweets I’ll just copy and paste. This is from R.O.C Ministry of National defense official X account.

Overall 18 #PLA aircraft in various types (including J-16, KJ-500, etc.) were detected from 0820hr today. Out of which, 15 crossed the median line of the #Taiwan Strait and entered the northern, central and southwestern ADIZ in conducting air-sea joint training along with other PLAN vessels. #ROCArmedForces have monitored the situation and responded accordingly.

They usually don’t post midday numbers unless it’s unusual activity.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#38]
Deleted
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Since i don't know how to embed tweets I'll just copy and paste. This is from R.O.C Ministry of National defense official X account.

Overall 18 #PLA aircraft in various types (including J-16, KJ-500, etc.) were detected from 0820hr today. Out of which, 15 crossed the median line of the #Taiwan Strait and entered the northern, central and southwestern ADIZ in conducting air-sea joint training along with other PLAN vessels. #ROCArmedForces have monitored the situation and responded accordingly.

They usually don't post midday numbers unless it's unusual activity.
View Quote
To embed a "tweet", click on the bird icon on the "what you see is what you get" tool bar.

A "pop up" window will present itself. Copy/Paste the url in the only available input box.

Here's the important part, replace the "twitter" with an 'x' at the .com.

It's always nice to see the flight trackers. I suspect this one will be very similar to the last two that have been published.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, Sir. This is the same stance since 2022 after Pelosi went to Taiwan. Boy, those were the good ole days!! Wild what it's like to be led down a path!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Your post just made me think of this movie:
Pork Chop Hill

Damn good movie!!
View Quote

Coming up on 75 years https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20240906007151315
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 9:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#45]
I figured it out woohoo!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Since i don't know how to embed tweets I'll just copy and paste. This is from R.O.C Ministry of National defense official X account.

View All Quotes

It's 12:3something PM as I type, so here's the total count for the last 0600 to 0600"
2024/09/09 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan

PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan  

1. Date  
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Sunday to Monday, Sep. 8-9

2. PLA activities
 21 PLA aircraft, 7 PLAN vessels and 1 official ship operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 16 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's northern, central, southwestern, and eastern ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
This gives us a grand total, so far, of 120 aircraft and 70 ships.
And Thanks to GoldenMead, we know that the vast majority of the PLAAF flights happened earlier in the 24-hour period.

Let's make some more assumptions of what we can. The number of ships involved is a related to where the aircraft are flying their patterns, and that the ships are responsible for recording Taiwanese EMR emissions and for the rescue/recovery of aircraft incase of a in-flight failure. They don't use their Coast Guard for that because their Coast Guard doesn't rescue anybody!!! I'm assuming that the ships have a secondary purpose of acting as an alternative "ground" control agency for the PLAAF in case Taiwan is successful at jamming typical PLAAF Ground Control Agency frequencies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I figured it out woohoo!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0882_jpeg-3317079.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0883_jpeg-3317160.JPG
View Quote
Nice!!!!!!

We're putting a gold star by your name!!  GoldenMeadAttachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#50]

2 gator carriers isn't going to be enough.  Though I'm not sure that even the 6 CV/CVNs for Desert Storm would be.  Awful lot of ocean for under a half-dozen SSNs, too.  Hopefully the little crappy ships put up a meaningful percentage of a Burke's capabilities.
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top