Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 519
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:49:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: goloud] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By piperpa24:

Good point - and we can make a teeny modification to your statement to illustrate that nothing is really carbon free is it?

View Quote

Completely agree. There will be all new issues to deal with. I’m hoping for a “Mr Fusion” style of personal reactor that will come the day after I die. But it will also require resources.

Regaining control and decentralization is the goal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
According to Twitter, the FTX app and website are likely compromised. Folks are saying to delete the app and not use the website. Just fyi for those that may not have heard this yet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By goloud:

Completely agree. There will be all new issues to deal with. I’m hoping for a “Mr Fusion” style of personal reactor that will come the day after I die. But it will also require resources.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By piperpa24:

Good point - and we can make a teeny modification to your statement to illustrate that nothing is really carbon free is it?

Personal nuclear is a long way off, simply because we're getting dumber as a species and we keep cockblocking Darwin.

That's also a contributing factor to Crypto's slow adoption.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Sam filed Chapter 11 on FTX, FTX-US, and his Alameda project.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

“Our shits busted and we’re insolvent (probably) but pay us. Please.”
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135766/EB000882-5E3D-4359-806F-82828E1C8333_jpe-2596834.JPG
View All Quotes

Just tried to use my card and it was declined. Twice.

“Separate business entities” my ass.

“Our shits busted and we’re insolvent (probably) but pay us. Please.”
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135766/EB000882-5E3D-4359-806F-82828E1C8333_jpe-2596834.JPG

The little threat at the end is a nice touch.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
When is Coinbase going down?

A more transparent and secure crypto exchange

Hi Pete,

With the recent liquidity issues in the crypto markets this week, we want to reiterate how Coinbase’s business is different and ultimately better protects your account & digital assets.

For the last 10 years, we have built Coinbase in a way that allows us to be transparent about our track record and balance sheet strength, and effectively and prudently manage risk for our 108+ million customers and ourselves.
See below for more information about how we keep your funds safe:

Healthy Financials
Our public, audited financials confirm our financial strength and ample liquidity — we largely hold our assets in USD. We ended Q3 with $5.6 billion in total available USD resources, including $5 billion in cash and cash equivalents.

We hold your Assets 1:1
Coinbase holds customer assets 1:1, and we won't lend those assets without your consent. This means funds are available to our customers at any time.

Transparent
We are the largest publicly traded crypto exchange in the world, and we've been around for a long time, serving customers for over 10 years. Our financial statements are public and released quarterly.

U.S. Based
Coinbase is based and incorporated in the U.S. We are seeking to work within the U.S. system, because we believe that transparency and trust are essential.

Your Funds, Your Choice
Coinbase doesn't use, or lend, your assets without your permission. Also, we offer one of the most secure and multifaceted risk management programs designed to protect our customers' assets. This blog post details our prudent approach to risk management and how we keep our customers safe.

Industry-Leading Security
The technology that powers our platform was developed with industry-leading security and encryption at its core. Our security team is constantly working to make sure you and your assets are protected from emerging threats. Learn more.

There are some good articles about the founding of Coinbase and the philosophy of their 2nd Employee who greatly influence the thinking of Brian Armstrong at the beginning.

The short of it is that Brian interviewed this guy and asked him what he thought Coinbases first priority should be when getting started and the guy smartly said "security" because if you screw people once they'll never forget it and you're business will never recover.  Hopefully I'm recalling that correctly but it's along those lines.

Smart dude.  Hope he still works there and got rich.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trunalimunumaprzure] [#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:
Reports of a "backdoor" built into FTX.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/12/1-billion-to-2-billion-of-ftx-customer-funds-missing-report.html
View Quote

Insurance policy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog-meat] [#10]
Originally Posted By D_J:

Stop trolling the thread if you want to keep your access to it.
View Quote

I didn't think it was trolling. Exchanges seem to be going down one after another. Get your coins off of exchanges if you're holding them there. None of these centralized custodians can be trusted as proven by the events of this year. I'll stop though.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]

I didn't think it was trolling. Exchanges seem to be going down one after another. Get your coins off of exchanges if you're holding them there. None of these centralized custodians can be trusted as proven by the events of this year. I'll stop though.

View All Quotes

I posted in the other thread(s) about FTX.  Here's the Coinbase CEO at the 20:45 mark with about 10-15 minutes of his thoughts on the situation.

Skip to 20:45
E104: FTX collapse with Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong + election results, macro update & more
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
When is Coinbase going down?

I didn’t read it as trolling. It seems like a legitimate question considering all that is going on.

It’s ok to have a contrarian opinion in a discussion and brought about an answer to a question that others may have had.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:47:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2thflr] [#13]
I use CB for purchases, but keep most of my assets in a hardware wallet, btw.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
According to Twitter, the FTX app and website are likely compromised. Folks are saying to delete the app and not use the website. Just fyi for those that may not have heard this yet.
View Quote

My FTX app is still called Blockfolio (haven't updated it in years) and has no permissions.  Just use it to track balances that are estimates only, no accurate numbers (to avoid them matching my accounts up with blockchain data).   On an android tablet connected to a throw-away gmail account.  

I never trusted them when they were Blockfolio and even less after the FTX change.  Never had an account with them or given them any info.  Guess I should probably find a new tracking app.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:

My FTX app is still called Blockfolio (haven't updated it in years) and has no permissions.  Just use it to track balances that are estimates only, no accurate numbers (to avoid them matching my accounts up with blockchain data).   On an android tablet connected to a throw-away gmail account.  

I never trusted them when they were Blockfolio and even less after the FTX change.  Never had an account with them or given them any info.  Guess I should probably find a new tracking app.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:

CoinGecko isn't bad. I think CMC has an app too. Both have pretty extensive lists of stuff if you're into anything odd.

I use CG to track a few GameFi tokens like Atlas, Polis, Ki, and Loka.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

I posted in the other thread(s) about FTX.  Here's the Coinbase CEO at the 20:45 mark with about 10-15 minutes of his thoughts on the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7cNqwqt1I
View All Quotes

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Dog is mostly harmless.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Kraken Chief Security Officer says the FTX hacker has been identified.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mdavis:

Thanks for posting.
View All Quotes

Thanks for posting.

In part of that Podcast, Chamath tells a story of how FTX came to him for funding.  His firm did their DD and made a few suggestions.  FTX responded literally with the exact words, "go fuck yourself".  And never heard from them again.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#21]
who's loading up?
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#22]
who's loading up?
View Quote

When tezos goes under a dollar.. I'll buy some more.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
who's loading up?
View Quote

Always loading up..
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

Always loading up..
View All Quotes
who's loading up?

Always loading up..

Nothing left to do but pack bags as fat as you can at this point. We have two potential outcomes here.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#25]
The good news is FTX held zero Bitcoin so they can't dump it in bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#26]
The good news is FTX held zero Bitcoin so they can't dump it in bankruptcy.
View Quote

They can't, but the whales who lost because of FTX / FTT / SOL may have to sell bitcoin to cover. We shall see.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:18:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vote4Cthulhu] [#27]
who's loading up?
View Quote

Not yet. Waiting to see if we go below 15,700 first or above 17,500.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I can’t believe I’m a BTC maxi right now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Shit keeps fallin.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#30]
https://i.imgur.com/ah7ZVvb.png
View Quote

Basically what?  I want to know the cut off part!  
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:55:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#31]
who's loading up?
View Quote

I bought another BTC at $19k.

I would be perfectly content to buy more today EXCEPT for the fact that the "contagion" phenomenon coming out of FTX is still unknown and may present an even better opportunity.  Sure would be nice to have a crystal ball on that one because I like to pick up more BTC during bear markets but in a perfect world you want to strike at the point of peak fear.  Maybe what happened this past week is it, I don't know.

I have enough to begin with though so if I bought nothing more I'd be fine.  I've got no worries about where we are going to be after the 2024 halving event and hopefully a Fed pivot by that point.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

I would be perfectly content to buy more today EXCEPT for the fact that the "contagion" phenomenon coming out of FTX is still unknown and may present an even better opportunity.  Sure would be nice to have a crystal ball on that one because I like to pick up more BTC during bear markets but in a perfect world you want to strike at the point of peak fear.  Maybe what happened this past week is it, I don't know.

I have enough to begin with though so if I bought nothing more I'd be fine.  I've got no worries about where we are going to be after the 2024 halving event and hopefully a Fed pivot by that point.
View Quote

I just daily buy. Can't blow on a full coin at a time as much as I'd like to. But it's surprising over time what a daily accumulation can amount to. Can't stop. Won't stop. I just say my time preference is a decade and going to have to look past present short term contagions. It makes it easier to also not give a shit about a daily price fluctuation as you aren't tied to one price valuation. The goal is acquire as much Bitcoin as possible before the rest of the finance world goes *pop*.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/ah7ZVvb.png

Basically a fire sale
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#34]
It might be time for me to get back in. Bitcoin should survive this. Maybe give it a bit more time for max fear to fester after ftx.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#35]
It might be time for me to get back in. Bitcoin should survive this. Maybe give it a bit more time for max fear to fester after ftx.
View Quote

BTC surely will. ETH and some of its top tokens probably will too.

I've liked Solana, but this is a hard hit for it, especially with the concern over Serum.  Magic Eden shut down all SFT trading out of caution, and many people were advising against using other Serum DEX like Raydium just in case. I know of at least one project that pulled their project supplied liquidity as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow CRO!! -24% 24hrs
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#37]
View Quote

It's nearly unkillable but Bitcoin winters are long and hard.

The 2013 bubble / 2014 crash took more than 3 years to get back to the same levels.  

If that happened again today exactly the same then it'd take until November 2024 at a minimum to see $69k again.

The 2017 bubble / 2018 crash took only slightly less time to get back to the previous ATH.  It was like 2 years and 11 months roughly.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow CRO!! -24% 24hrs
View Quote

This may have something to do with that.  It's damage control dealing with the shitshow going on on Solana in the wake of the FTX fiasco.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

My order at 16.2 just filled.

Cheapest BTC to date by far.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Boy, sure would be something if my prediction/suspicion for close to a year on this matter ends up coming to fruition.

There is more paper Bitcoin than Bitcoin. Not your keys...
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/268409/Screenshot_20221113-214914_Twitter_jpg-2599354.JPG

Boy, sure would be something if my prediction/suspicion for close to a year on this matter ends up coming to fruition.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Scrote:

View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/268409/Screenshot_20221113-214914_Twitter_jpg-2599354.JPG

How could it be paper once it is removed from an exchange?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I've had a buy order in the low $13k's sitting for several months now. Maybe it will fill.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:05:01 AM EDT
[#44]
who's loading up?
View Quote

Talleyho!

Got my limit orders in.  The limit orders that I’ve tweaked a dozen times this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

How could it not be paper if it wasn't removed?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:16:15 AM EDT
[#46]
So whats like the retard 101 way to get coins off coinbase and store off of the exchange?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
So whats like the retard 101 way to get coins off coinbase and store off of the exchange?
View Quote

Go buy a Trezor (FROM Trezor), get it configured, move your stuff to it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Feelings on Ledger vs. Trevor?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Either. And if you lose one you can restore to the other.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Whatever you buy make sure you get it directly from the manufacturer. Physically type in the website. Don’t google it and click links to get there.
Page / 519
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top