Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 519
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Crypto Obituary #466

The week the crypto dream died

Pack it up boys, it's dead for real this time.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:33:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Naporter] [#2]
Ledgers are nice. I've got an S and an X, though with current offerings, I'd probably get the S+.  More memory than the older S and no Bluetooth like the X has.

And before someone makes an uneducated or snarky comment about memory not mattering for storing coins, it does if you have assets on multiple chains.  Many chains require their own App on the device, and the older S model could only have 3-4 at any given time due to it's limited memory.  You'd have to delete and replace apps or use multiple devices. It was enough of a complaint they bumped the Memory up on them for the S+
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By woodsie:
Crypto Obituary #466

View Quote

so how is your investment doing ytd?

been a good thing or bad?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:00:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#4]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Crypto Obituary #466

Terrible, but since I actually bought my BTC in 2013-2015, it's up 8500% give or take.

I've been through worse crashes in 2014 and 2018.  You can't taunt me with how 2022 is going.  BTDT twice before.

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Terrible, but since I actually bought my BTC in 2013-2015, it's up 8500% give or take.

I've been through worse crashes in 2014 and 2018.  You can't taunt me with how 2022 is going.  BTDT twice before.

View Quote

The drop below $3k hurt....but now it's just funny.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:05:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MidwestJ] [#6]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
So whats like the retard 101 way to get coins off coinbase and store off of the exchange?
View Quote

@Obo2

1) buy 3 Ledger S+

2)
How to Buy Bitcoin on Coinbase and Safely Store it in Your Ledger Nano S

3) get a Safe deposit Box and put 1 of your unopened Ledger S+ in it for safekeeping

4) hide your second, unused one elsewhere safe
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By UmbertoFoster:

View All Quotes

The worst for me was 2014.  There was no well established history of booms and busts at that point and there was a legitimate concern that the idea of crypto was dead.

Two boom bust cycles later and four in total, it's hilarious to me that people think that 2022 is some big gotcha.  Even the FTX debacle isn't some new phenomenon in crypto.  Back in 2014 we had Mt. Gox which was a similar deal with customer assets not being backed and a con artists piece of of shit running a poorly regulated foreign exchange.

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#8]

The worst for me was 2014.  There was no well established history of booms and busts at that point and there was a legitimate concern that the idea of crypto was dead.

Two boom bust cycles later and four in total, it's hilarious to me that people think that 2022 is some big gotcha.  Even the FTX debacle isn't some new phenomenon in crypto.  Back in 2014 we had Mt. Gox which was a similar deal with customer assets not being backed and a con artists piece of of shit running a poorly regulated foreign exchange.

View Quote
I would say Mt Gox was a much bigger deal as they were THE exchange at the time. Estimated 70% of all BTC transactions.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:12:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#9]
Originally Posted By CBags04:
I would say Mt Gox was a much bigger deal as they were THE exchange at the time. Estimated 70% of all BTC transactions.
View All Quotes

Yeah, that's probably true.  It certainly was the entire face of the crash.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Bitcoin survived Mt Gox. I was unfortunately not there, but given the point in which it happened in Bitcoin's life cycle it was a make or break time period for the asset. This present situation is a lot less significant.  Bitcoin has global branding and everyone has heard of it at this point.  This is a blip.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
(Buys blip)
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Crypto Obituary #466

View Quote

Yes, that means the bottom is near.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:

Bitcoin survived Mt Gox. I was unfortunately not there, but given the point in which it happened in Bitcoin's life cycle it was a make or break time period for the asset. This present situation is a lot less significant.  Bitcoin has global branding and everyone has heard of it at this point.  This is a blip.
View Quote
The worst to come might well be Joe Xiden. They're talking about regulation again.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#14]
Originally Posted By mdavis:

Feelings on Ledger vs. Trevor?
View Quote
Well, Ledger played a ghey guy in Brokeback Mtn, and Trevor sounds ghey, so it's a "crapshoot".

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1975:

Well, Ledger played a ghey guy in Brokeback Mtn, and Trevor sounds ghey, so it's a "crapshoot".

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mdavis:

Feelings on Ledger vs. Trevor?

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#17]
So should I be buying Bitcoin now?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Luopo:
View Quote

Always.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Absolutely.  Disregard altcoins-focus on BTC.  Stack deep.

Store in offline-cold wallet storage
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Depends on your time horizon.  

If you've got a short attention span like the people focused on the last 12 months instead of the last 12 years, I'd probably sit tight.  Crypto winters are long and hard.

If you are looking forward to the next halving event which is in 2024 and beyond then I think now is as good a time as any.  Might go lower, might not, but either way Bitcoin is unlikely to remain hanging around $15k-$17k through the next block reward cycle (2024-2028) for better or worse.

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:07:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#21]

View All Quotes

I was just telling someone yesterday that FTX was another Mt. Gox.  Although this time, it looks like the DNC was involved, and there will be a much stronger push for regulation.  They need to ensure their money laundering doesn’t get caught next time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Watching folks try and pull money out of failing exchanges is delicious.

Yet, telling these idiots and fools to trust no "un-bank" is like telling them to pay off their credit cards. They just wont listen.

I was using an old laptop and external backup drive for my wallet long before Ledger was cool.

I now use Ledger and I dont look back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

wasn't a "taunt" was an honest question

I hop in and out of bitcoin and haven't held for more than a couple of days.  This volatility has been a godsend for people who do what I do.  Was just curious if your path was working at a level you felt confident with.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Glad I never got into any of these things.   The free money seemed too good to be true which made me suspicious.  Whenever I get tempted by such things I remember Robert Heinlein's famous TANSTAAFL creedo.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#26]

I thought they already went belly up. Guess not.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

I thought they already went belly up. Guess not.
View Quote

They were in trouble and FTX bailed them out. There are some assumptions that a good portion of the missing money went to keeping a few of those companies in trouble floating. Problem is they either didn't do anything, or not enough to change their company practices and so when their financial lifeline of FTX disappeared they once again are in a non sustainable financial position.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#28]

I chuckled at their email today.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

I was just telling someone yesterday that FTX was another Mt. Gox.  Although this time, it looks like the DNC was involved, and there will be a much stronger push for regulation.  They need to ensure their money laundering doesn’t get caught next time.
View Quote

True. At least Mt. Gox was just good old fashioned hacking. Mophead was competing with Soros to be the top leftist campaigner. Imagine being a conservative client and not only losing your wealth but knowing damn well it was funneled to your enemies to help throw the election.

Politics and speculators/manipulators have made a joke out of crypto confidence inspiration. Maybe by design. Got to destroy the private image before you come in and save the day with the public FDIC "fix".  Piggybacking on the same blockchain technology but with the central bankers in control once again.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#30]
BTC mempool is pretty slammed.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:23:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Bitcoin went tits up?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:31:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#32]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
Bitcoin went tits up?
View Quote

Looks like Gemini Genesis is the next one to fall. Market reacting.

ETA- Not Gemini. Yet?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
Bitcoin went tits up?
View Quote

Not just Bitcoin.  Everything went tits up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#34]
New CEO of FTX, John Ray III, said the following in the bankruptcy filling for FTX.

Never in my career have I seen such a complete failure of corporate controls and such a complete absence of trustworthy financial information as occurred here. From compromised systems integrity and faulty regulatory oversight abroad, to the concentration of control in the hands of a very small group of inexperienced, unsophisticated, and potentially compromised individuals. This situation is unprecedented.
View Quote

FYI, this was the same guy brought in to handle the Enron bankruptcy and he thinks it's this bad.  lol.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Fallen:
New CEO of FTX, John Ray III, said the following in the bankruptcy filling for FTX.

FYI, this was the same guy brought in to handle the Enron bankruptcy and he thinks it's this bad.  lol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fallen:

Never in my career have I seen such a complete failure of corporate controls and such a complete absence of trustworthy financial information as occurred here. From compromised systems integrity and faulty regulatory oversight abroad, to the concentration of control in the hands of a very small group of inexperienced, unsophisticated, and potentially compromised individuals. This situation is unprecedented.

Oh, how convenient.  SBF didn’t kill himself.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#36]
In my facebook memories it popped up this was about the time 9 years ago when someone here cashed out like 22k BTC at ~$500ea.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#37]

I hop in and out of bitcoin and haven't held for more than a couple of days.  This volatility has been a godsend for people who do what I do.  Was just curious if your path was working at a level you felt confident with.
View All Quotes

It was kind of phrased as a taunt but I appreciate the clarification and will take you at your word.

Yes, I'm fine with it.  Holding from $200/ea to $17,000/ea is A-OK with me despite the volatility in both directions along the way.  You will find plenty of posts earlier on in this very thread where I anticipated that Bitcoin could drop to where we are today during a crash even back when we were riding high between $50k-$70k.  I would say I'm on pretty well on record as not being blindsided by what's happening right now.

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone here using the Ellipal "Air Gapped" cold storage wallet?

If so, anyone has issues transferring Matic from Coinbase Wallet to the Ellipal wallet?

In my case, it shows the transfer was completed and successful on both ends. However, no Matic has made its way into my Ellipal.

This is a first for me. Two previous crypto transfers went through and processed successfully before doing Matic which has not shown up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

True. At least Mt. Gox was just good old fashioned hacking. Mophead was competing with Soros to be the top leftist campaigner. Imagine being a conservative client and not only losing your wealth but knowing damn well it was funneled to your enemies to help throw the election.

Politics and speculators/manipulators have made a joke out of crypto confidence inspiration. Maybe by design. Got to destroy the private image before you come in and save the day with the public FDIC "fix".  Piggybacking on the same blockchain technology but with the central bankers in control once again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

The part that came after the hacking is what makes it comparable to FTX.  IIRC, Mt. Gox was hacked a significant amount of time before they actually formally went under.  One of the big scandals was how they KNEW they had been hacked and kept operating business as usual for a period of time hoping they could grow their way out of their problem before customers noticed.

FTX was in the same boat in that last respect.  SBF was hoping the market would turn around before anyone noticed that they were out over their skis.  Funds are Safu guy decided to kick that rock over at the worst possible time and the rest is history.

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:

If so, anyone has issues transferring Matic from Coinbase Wallet to the Ellipal wallet?

In my case, it shows the transfer was completed and successful on both ends. However, no Matic has made its way into my Ellipal.

This is a first for me. Two previous crypto transfers went through and processed successfully before doing Matic which has not shown up.
View Quote

Was the receiving address a Polygon chain address or ERC20 address?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#41]
The Five Wildest Things in the FTX Bankruptcy Filing

1. FTX lent billions of dollars in customer funds to Bankman-Fried’s hedge fund, Alameda Research.

2. FTX corporate funds were used to buy homes and “personal items” for executives.

3. Expenses were approved by emoji.

4. FTX's auditing firm Prager-Metis lived in the metaverse (Decentraland).

5. Most digital assets “owned” by FTX were not secured.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
In my facebook memories it popped up this was about the time 9 years ago when someone here cashed out like 22k BTC at ~$500ea.
View Quote

Umm, that's like 11 million dollars.  I do not see the problem.

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By InHocSigno:

View All Quotes

It's not, that guy was a legend and it never sucks to take a profit.

I'd bet dollars to donuts he didn't cash out everything.  As I recall it, he was a crypto "true believer" type so it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if he hung on to something.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#44]
The Five Wildest Things in the FTX Bankruptcy Filing

1. FTX lent billions of dollars in customer funds to Bankman-Fried's hedge fund, Alameda Research.

2. FTX corporate funds were used to buy homes and "personal items" for executives.

3. Expenses were approved by emoji.

4. FTX's auditing firm Prager-Metis lived in the metaverse (Decentraland).

5. Most digital assets "owned" by FTX were not secured.
View Quote
It's as if the place was run by my 15 year-old step daughter.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Guys I just want to say:

GNS has outperformed the entire crypto market in a 3 months time frame

And

Rabby wallet (a metamask replacement) is amazing. It has so many quality of life features over metamask that it's now my go to. It's run by the debank group and it's open source. I'm not going back to metamask.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#46]

I'd bet dollars to donuts he didn't cash out everything.  As I recall it, he was a crypto "true believer" type so it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if he hung on to something.
View All Quotes

IIRC he had mined all those BTC himself from the early days. He posted what he had into all the rigs and how long he'd been mining etc and someone figured out he could have just bought his BTC for what he'd paid for the mining rigs. He did not care.

I seem to remember he cashed out at 1k not 500 but my memory isnt what it used to be.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#47]
In light of the FTX fiasco,

What’s the latest with Celsius bankruptcy ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By captainpooby:

IIRC he had mined all those BTC himself from the early days. He posted what he had into all the rigs and how long he'd been mining etc and someone figured out he could have just bought his BTC for what he'd paid for the mining rigs. He did not care.

I seem to remember he cashed out at 1k not 500 but my memory isnt what it used to be.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By captainpooby:

Yeah, it's tough to make mining pay even back then.

I recall he was selling in November/December 2013 so it could have been anywhere between $500 to $1000 as things were moving pretty fast.

I still remember being out to dinner with my cousin and joking that I was "up a car" since we sat down because it had gone up some crazy amount in a matter of an hour.

If you can still find hourly data from that time-frame you can see there were some pretty crazy swings.   People just getting in this last cycle have no idea.

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 3:23:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARandomClaymore] [#50]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:

@SERVED_USMC

Whichever is supported on Coinbase when I purchased them. I tried looking on CB and it doesn't state.

My guess would be ERC20.

Ellipal states it supports ALL ERC20 Tokens on the Titan Wallet.

Edit: Confirmed ERC20 on Ethereum
Page / 519
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top