BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

The way he runs things, they could probably have a ship ready to go by noon tomorrow.
View Quote

I'd be surprised if there haven't been conversations between the agencies about compatibility so NASA space suits can plug into SpaceX life support systems and the capsule seats can accommodate them too.

This would be a good time to develop a universal system, at least for seats, connectors, and whatnot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

I'd be surprised if there haven't been conversations between the agencies about compatibility so NASA space suits can plug into SpaceX life support systems and the capsule seats can accommodate them too.

This would be a good time to develop a universal system, at least for seats, connectors, and whatnot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

The way he runs things, they could probably have a ship ready to go by noon tomorrow.

Elon is generally several steps ahead, he's probably already built it and has it sitting on the shelf just in case.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Josh:

Elon is generally several steps ahead, he's probably already built it and has it sitting on the shelf just in case.
View Quote

Is he into corporate espionage? How much information could he get about their designs from FOIA requests?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Is he into corporate espionage? How much information could he get about their designs from FOIA requests?
View Quote

He could probably ask Tim Dodd for details.

What it's like to wear Boeing's Space Suit
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

SpaceX doesn’t have a Dragon ready to go.

According the NASA, there are 6 docked at the ISS currently, that includes the Boeing pos.

There are six docks total, so the ISS is full. I get the impression that some docks can only work with certain spacecraft.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Loki41872:
Do they have to be in the ship when it comes back? If Starliner has to stay docked until Nasa and Boeing are done with their tests, why not go ahead and send a Dragon for them? Is there only one dock or something?

According the NASA, there are 6 docked at the ISS currently, that includes the Boeing pos.

There are six docks total, so the ISS is full. I get the impression that some docks can only work with certain spacecraft.

Has there ever been an orbital rescue mission before? Aka a craft launched to bring stranded astronauts down? I believe after a shuttle blew the astronauts on the ISS took an existing soyuz back down but it was already there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SBR300BLK:

Has there ever been an orbital rescue mission before? Aka a craft launched to bring stranded astronauts down? I believe after a shuttle blew the astronauts on the ISS took an existing soyuz back down but it was already there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SBR300BLK:
Originally Posted By Loki41872:
Do they have to be in the ship when it comes back? If Starliner has to stay docked until Nasa and Boeing are done with their tests, why not go ahead and send a Dragon for them? Is there only one dock or something?

Rescue flights were pre-planned with hardware assembled for Skylab and the final Hubble servicing missions, but I’m not aware of any having been flown by any nation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:

I doubt there's any secrets to the design of a suit hookup.  It's probably specced out in some document that's public.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
GM, is Boeing Starliner still stuck on ISS?

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Talking August now, July if everything goes swimmingly from now on:

Boeing Needs To Complete More Testing Before Undocking Starliner
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone called in the lifeline yet?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
A pro-Boeing look at the situation:

Starliner is Doing Better than you Think!

Seemingly accepts NASA, Boeing, & the astronauts' statements at face value.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Broken Shuttle Tiles... remember that flight?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamBoga] [#13]
So they just live there now? Are they at least chipping in on the groceries and light bill?

The other astronauts are like “guests are like fish…”
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#14]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
So they just live there now? Are they at least chipping in on the groceries and light bill?

The other astronauts are like “guests are like fish…”
View Quote

Maybe they are brewing moonshine for everyone up there since Starliner is parked like a Camaro with a got dang broken driveshaft on the front lawn?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Boeing Starliner issues causing food shortages on ISS?

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Issue with the Boeing Starliner has been resolved via media coverup and the need to keep funding NASA pensions.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:
If anyone blows the whistle about this......they are as good as dead.
View Quote

Or on the next trip to Starliner.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
SpaceX was awarded a NASA contract to DE-ORBIT ISS.

Will that occur before or after Boeing Starliner is undocked?

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bbrocks:
SpaceX was awarded a NASA contract to DE-ORBIT ISS.

Will that occur before or after Boeing Starliner is undocked?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-22-2018/4axJ8A.gif
View Quote

Reminds me of a scene from the movie Dragonheart.

“You can’t fly forever!”

“Neither can you!”

Attachment Attached File

The proposed deorbit vehicle looks pretty dope.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Reminds me of a scene from the movie Dragonheart.

“You can’t fly forever!”

“Neither can you!”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/AFFDA20E-8448-414C-A0AF-3186A450C397_jpe-3275799.JPG

The proposed deorbit vehicle looks pretty dope.
View Quote

Balancing the thrust to keep it in line with the structural mass is going to be non trivial.... I could see this going badly rather quickly if there is a structural failure and it throws the center of balance off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

Balancing the thrust to keep it in line with the structural mass is going to be non trivial.... I could see this going badly rather quickly if there is a structural failure and it throws the center of balance off.
View Quote

Very slow and easy and it may take weeks to do it safely.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Yep, Elon has said on twitter that this is one heck of a project and that the station wasn’t really designed for these sorts of loads.

I suppose when they built the thing they either expected something better than the shuttle to be available to dismantle it and take the big bits down for display in museums like the original plan for decommissioning Hubble. Or perhaps they were going to part it out for deep space missions like in the novel Manifold Space?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Yep, Elon has said on twitter that this is one heck of a project and that the station wasn’t really designed for these sorts of loads.

I suppose when they built the thing they either expected something better than the shuttle to be available to dismantle it and take the big bits down for display in museums like the original plan for decommissioning Hubble. Or perhaps they were going to part it out for deep space missions like in the novel Manifold Space?
View Quote

More likely they didn’t care or even have the foresight to make it easy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
They could break it down into smaller pieces and maybe salvage some parts. The solar panels are fairly new. Resell them to another company that needs a lot of power in space. Unless the whole thing is too stressed by thermal cycling to be of any use.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
... salvage some parts. The solar panels are fairly new. Resell them to another company that needs a lot of power in space. Unless the whole thing is too stressed by thermal cycling to be of any use.
View Quote

Russian Space Station Mir had a lot of discussion on this subject in literature.

The irony of world powers disposing equipment in our atmosphere while preaching climate change and benefits of recycling is not lost on me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Just do it the Chinese way
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Dean Martin - "I'll Be Home For Christmas" - LIVE - CHRISTMAS
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#28]
This was planned all the time, they were always going to spend AT LEAST nine days in orbit, so why not make a long trip out of it?!

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/25/nasa-boeing-crewed-starliner-flight-return-august.html

The indefinite extension of Starliner’s flight test is difficult to put into context of other human spaceflights due to the unique circumstances and developmental nature of the mission. Any crewed spaceflight comes with heightened risk and scrutiny. Originally, Calypso was expected to spend a minimum of nine days in space before returning.

“I think we all knew that it was going to go longer than that. We didn’t spend a lot of time talking about how much longer, but I think it’s my regret that we we didn’t just say we’re going to stay up there until we get everything done that we want to go to do,” Boeing’s Mark Nappi, vice president of the Starliner program, said on Thursday.
View Quote

Just because we said "nine days" doesn't mean it couldn't also be 55 days!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#29]
“NASA and Boeing have repeatedly stressed that they are not stranded in space….”

If I whip off into Death Valley on a set of spare tires wearing flip flops…when the tires blow, I’d consider myself stranded.

I lament the absence of steely eyed missile men at NASA and assholes at Boeing…
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#30]
...waiting for AmericanPeople to state the spacecraft is nominal, stronger than ever, and ready to lead this nation to the stars.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#31]
So what is Space TDY pay?

Hope it's $1k a day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Moar struts!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
So what is Space TDY pay?

Hope it's $1k a day.
View Quote

Meals provided.  Incidentals only.

Buzz Aldrin got $1/day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Will they break the record for days in space before they come home?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#36]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
...waiting for AmericanPeople to state the spacecraft is nominal, stronger than ever, and ready to lead this nation to the stars.
View Quote

Show me where I ever stated anything like that.  Starliner is a failure and the Crew Dragon Uber service option was my suggestion early on.  It remains the best option.

This is still a dupe thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#37]
SpaceX emergency contract:
This is a $266,678 firm-fixed-price delivery order contract awarded to Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) by the Kennedy Space Center, a civilian agency of the U.S. government. The contract is for a "SPECIAL STUDY FOR EMERGENCY RESPONSE" with a completion date of August 15, 2024.
View Quote

https://govtribe.com/award/federal-contract-award/delivery-order-nnk14ma74c-80ksc024fa090
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Show me where I ever stated anything like that.  Starliner is a failure and the Crew Dragon Uber service option was my suggestion early on.  It remains the best option.

This is still a dupe thread.
View Quote

Can't call it a dupe thread without sharing a link to the real thread.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
View Quote

not likely.

I read about a USSR cosmonaut that was up where when the USSR broke up.  he came back down something like 650 days later as a Russian cosmonaut.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
They could break it down into smaller pieces and maybe salvage some parts. The solar panels are fairly new. Resell them to another company that needs a lot of power in space. Unless the whole thing is too stressed by thermal cycling to be of any use.
View Quote

Ever buy a used travel trailer?

At best a lot of that interior stuff needs a bleach power washing.

Space is gross and brutal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I've heard that the first exposure to the ISS atmosphere is gag inducing. I would be selling off exterior components. "Special price on solar panels, limited time only." Docking hubs, antennas, etc. could be repurposed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

"Emergency" might be a poor choice.  Alternate and backup are two words I would consider as long as they are truth.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greyninja:
This is a $266,678 firm-fixed-price delivery order contract awarded to Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) by the Kennedy Space Center, a civilian agency of the U.S. government. The contract is for a "SPECIAL STUDY FOR EMERGENCY RESPONSE" with a completion date of August 15, 2024.

https://govtribe.com/award/federal-contract-award/delivery-order-nnk14ma74c-80ksc024fa090

"Emergency" might be a poor choice.  Alternate and backup are two words I would consider as long as they are truth.

The delivery orders might require that title.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greyninja:

I guess it depends on whether or not one took the deathtrap into space which  can't make it back down. A matter of perspective I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#45]
If they leave in that thing they are going to die.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
View Quote
saying that its unsafe to fly back on likely has the same outcome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
View Quote

Ehhh...

As much as I hate Boeing, realistically they probably have a 70-80% chance of survival if they undock in Starliner and attempt reentry.

That's..not terrible. Definitely not great.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#49]
SpaceX Uber service run, maybe combined with some supplies delivery or whatever, they they can screw around with the Starliner testing as long as they want and then have it return unmanned.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse: If they leave in that thing they are going to die.
View Quote

Eh - everybody's gonna die.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top