Link Posted: 7/30/2024 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It's Boeing.... and they're STILL Foing
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

Ehhh...

As much as I hate Boeing, realistically they probably have a 70-80% chance of survival if they undock in Starliner and attempt reentry.

That's..not terrible. Definitely not great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
If they leave in that thing they are going to die.

Ehhh...

As much as I hate Boeing, realistically they probably have a 70-80% chance of survival if they undock in Starliner and attempt reentry.

Not terrible? I can tell you're not the one strapping in for the ride...
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

View Quote

No, the 2 who signed on for this are highly trained astronauts who have decades of firsthand experience with this stuff. If they are willing to take the risk then they do so on an informed basis. I doubt that Boeing or NASA is keeping them in the dark on anything. If they are then it will come out later and it will be an ugly scandal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

No, the 2 who signed on for this are highly trained astronauts who have decades of firsthand experience with this stuff. If they are willing to take the risk then they do so on an informed basis. I doubt that Boeing or NASA is keeping them in the dark on anything. If they are then it will come out later and it will be an ugly scandal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:  Not terrible? I can tell you're not the one strapping in for the ride...

That's the silly thing about bad actors hiding behind classifications - oh, we screwed up, or let's do this evil thing - we'll just classify it Top Secret!

Classifications are just a time delay.  The truth always outs later.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#5]

I doubt that Boeing or NASA is keeping them in the dark on anything.
View Quote

I hope this is sarcasm.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By robertmegar:

I hope this is sarcasm.
View All Quotes

I doubt that Boeing or NASA is keeping them in the dark on anything.

I hope this is sarcasm.

I'm sure they've given them a full rundown, just like they did for the Columbia astronauts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

I'm sure they've given them a full rundown, just like they did for the Columbia astronauts.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
If they stay in space enough they might as well declare the ISS an independent country.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It is really tough to figure what is going internally at Boeing. I know my ex-BIL was ordered to move from Manhattan Beach(McDonald-Douglas) to Seattle, but he choose to take early retirement because his reasoning if he made the move, there is no guarantee how long they will keep him.

Also for many years here on ARFCOM, we have had ex-Boeing engineers claim he was laid-off and a DEI-replacement was hired in his place.

Personally, the solution to Boeing's problem is to cut loose everyone from the CEO down to the janitor, and repopulate it with engineering people.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#10]

I hope this is sarcasm.
View Quote

Where is your proof? Wacko paranoia passed as fact doesn't cut it. So far, they are as transparent as they need to be. You are not entitled to know every piece of minutia. The astronauts are safe and being useful. No big deal. If they aren't worried, we shouldn't be either.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

Where is your proof? Wacko paranoia passed as fact doesn't cut it. So far, they are as transparent as they need to be. You are not entitled to know every piece of minutia. The astronauts are safe and being useful. No big deal. If they aren't worried, we shouldn't be either.
View All Quotes

I hope this is sarcasm.

Why aren't we entitled to know what is being done with our tax money and employees?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Boeing, lying to the astronauts about their survival chances on a return trip on a malfunctioning shuttle?

Naw, they would never! That would be almost as bad as murdering whistleblowers…
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I know it's been discussed but how difficult is it for SpaceX to throw 2 extra space suits into their capsule?  They must have every measurement possible of the two guinea pigs in space in a fitting manual for the Boeing suits. Cheap? No.  But it shouldn't be insurmountable.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
But did the emergency exit door stay attached?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I know it's been discussed but how difficult is it for SpaceX to throw 2 extra space suits into their capsule?  They must have every measurement possible of the two guinea pigs in space in a fitting manual for the Boeing suits. Cheap? No.  But it shouldn't be insurmountable.
View Quote

And if there is a measurement they don't have I bet the iss has a tape measure
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By warlord:
It is really tough to figure what is going internally at Boeing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By warlord:
It is really tough to figure what is going internally at Boeing.
No it's not, management is doing what they think is best for Boeing.  "best" may or may not involve building the best airplanes and spaceships ever.  

So far, they are as transparent as they need to be. You are not entitled to know every piece of minutia. The astronauts are safe and being useful. No big deal. If they aren't worried, we shouldn't be either.
No they aren't.  I'm a taxpayer and I want to know what they are doing with my money.  
Sure keep classified things classified, but all they've said about the thruster issue is:
Ground testing conducted on thrusters that maneuver Boeing’s capsule in space found that Teflon used to control the flow of rocket propellant eroded under high heat conditions, while different seals that control helium gas showed bulging, they said.
Why haven't other spacecraft had this same problem?  Is the teflon in question thread sealant or is it seals inside valves or fittings?  If it erodes under heat more than they anticipated how do they know it won't erode enough to cause a problem during the return trip?  Is the teflon erosion the cause of the inoperative thruster?  Where are these teflon parts located?  How do you know the helium seals won't degrade further during the return trip?  How much helium is currently on the starliner and how much is needed for the return trip?  Where are the leaks and what are the actual leak rates(in mass per unit time)?  

It's bullshit artificial opaqueness that does nothing other than erode the public's confidence in a once great institution.  Same reason nobody trusts politicians, the DMV, cops, unions, or any other bloated bureaucracy.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

Elon should offer to go get them...
View Quote

Better idea send Trump ...
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

And if there is a measurement they don't have I bet the iss has a tape measure
View Quote

It’s in the drawer in the kitchen where they keep the scissors, scotch tape and the screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
No it's not, management is doing what they think is best for Boeing.  "best" may or may not involve building the best airplanes and spaceships ever.  

No they aren't.  I'm a taxpayer and I want to know what they are doing with my money.  
Sure keep classified things classified, but all they've said about the thruster issue is: Why haven't other spacecraft had this same problem?  Is the teflon in question thread sealant or is it seals inside valves or fittings?  If it erodes under heat more than they anticipated how do they know it won't erode enough to cause a problem during the return trip?  Is the teflon erosion the cause of the inoperative thruster?  Where are these teflon parts located?  How do you know the helium seals won't degrade further during the return trip?  How much helium is currently on the starliner and how much is needed for the return trip?  Where are the leaks and what are the actual leak rates(in mass per unit time)?  

It's bullshit artificial opaqueness that does nothing other than erode the public's confidence in a once great institution.  Same reason nobody trusts politicians, the DMV, cops, unions, or any other bloated bureaucracy.  
View Quote

Have you listened to all of the telecons? What you're asking has been covered.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

No--Boeing and NASA would NEVER do such things...
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 5:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#21]

View All Quotes

I hope this is sarcasm.

Historical context.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/nasa-discussed-not-telling-astronauts-about-columbia-s-doom-1.1390174

"You know there is nothing we can do about damage to the (thermal protection system)," Hale quotes Harpold a decade later.

"If it has been damaged, it's probably better not to know. I think the crew would rather not know. Don't you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done until the air ran out."

They told astronauts they weren't worried about damage from foam insulation coming off the massive shuttle fuel tank during launch, hitting a wing that allowed superheated gases in when the shuttle re-entered the atmosphere. No one was aware of the seriousness of the damage at the time.

This was a what-if type question that conveyed a fatalistic attitude about the heat shield system being unfixable, which was "a wrong-headed cultural norm that we had all bought into," Hale said in a Thursday telephone interview.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Ehhh...

They're experienced. They signed up for Boeing knowing *exactly* what they were getting into. They decided the risks were worth the reward of getting a ride into orbit.

I won't take away a single shred of ownership they have in their own decision making. They both chose to go, and take the attendant risks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Reminder, top men at Boeing are hard at work calling SpaceX for help to avoid...

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#24]
DEI strikes again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]

They're experienced. They signed up for Boeing knowing *exactly* what they were getting into. They decided the risks were worth the reward of getting a ride into orbit.

I won't take away a single shred of ownership they have in their own decision making. They both chose to go, and take the attendant risks.
View All Quotes

Ehhh...

Sure, buy the ticket, take the ride. I would like to think that they were aware of the 2nd rate nature of this whole thing. However, a 70% chance of not being incinerated is still terrible odds when it comes to living.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Sure, buy the ticket, take the ride. I would like to think that they were aware of the 2nd rate nature of this whole thing. However, a 70% chance of not being incinerated is still terrible odds when it comes to living.
View All Quotes

Ehhh...

Nah, the heat shield will work.  It's just a question of running out of oxygen prior to reentry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Nah, the heat shield will work.  It's just a question of running out of oxygen prior to reentry.
View All Quotes

Ehhh...

But would aerodynamic passive stability drag-stabilize into the correct orientation before friction heating cooks the cabin?

I'd ask "what do the models show?" but we already know Boeing hasn't bothered to test or simulate it, since clearly the entirety of their simulation regimen entails playing a few hours of KSP.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#28]

But would aerodynamic passive stability drag-stabilize into the correct orientation before friction heating cooks the cabin?

I'd ask "what do the models show?" but we already know Boeing hasn't bothered to test or simulate it, since clearly the entirety of their simulation regimen entails playing a few hours of KSP.
View All Quotes
 Ehhh...

It's basically an Apollo CM.  The thrusters on the CM aren't in question - it's the thrusters in the Service module that are problematic and needed to lower the orbit for reentry.  Reentry isn't the concern.  It's a timely reentry that's the question.  Or banging into the ISS as you pull away, which has heretofore been purely a Russian concern for Progress.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#29]
How do we know they are still alive?  Government tells us?
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:  How do we know they are still alive?  Government tells us?
View Quote

Umm, you can listen to the orbit to ground radio, don't think it's encrypted.  The Russians aren't going to cover up the death of American contractors.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
View Quote

"Is there air? You don't know!"
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
View Quote

He must not read GD......
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#36]
If they get rescued, can Boeing/NASA try to bring the craft down unmanned?
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Intune:
View Quote

Yes. Its autonomous
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

Yes. Its autonomous
View All Quotes

Yes. Its autonomous

Thank you. So do the astronauts actually fly it at all? Or are they just along for the ride?  Seems like an unmanned test flight would have been the way to go. But hubris might have come into play on this one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Thank you. So do the astronauts actually fly it at all? Or are they just along for the ride?  Seems like an unmanned test flight would have been the way to go. But hubris might have come into play on this one.
View All Quotes

Yes. Its autonomous

They did an unmanned test flight a couple of times. They were both horrible but NASA let them press forward.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#40]

They did an unmanned test flight a couple of times. They were both horrible but NASA let them press forward.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Intune:  If they get rescued, can Boeing/NASA try to bring the craft down unmanned?

Yes. Its autonomous

Both flights landed intact, did they not?
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
At best a lot of that interior stuff needs a bleach power washing.

Space is gross and brutal.
View Quote
Too bad they're in a hurry to throw it away.
That would be a very interesting challenge for cleaning tech, and it's not gonna go away.
People are going to be living in tin cans (or inflatable bags) for the foreseeable future.
The company that corners cleaning habs will make BANK.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Yes. Its autonomous

Yea, on the way up after thrusters started to malfunction they took manual control of the space craft. There has been some speculation that this is what contributed to the overheating of thrusters causing more malfunctions.

They have been doing tests to recreate this to see if that was in fact an issue. They wont know for certain until they get through all the numbers and release a report some time in the future. As it stands now they feel they have a new thrust profile to account for this but that's assuming that everything goes as planned and they dont need to take manual control again.

The rub here is that if they get off the ISS OK and their thrusters cant complete the de-orbit burn correctly you got two outcomes. It comes down somewhere its not meant to do and you hope you come down on land or you are stuck in space. The first is a problem cause that thing ain't meant for a water landing. The second is there is nothing you can do about it. You cant just send up dragon, rendezvous and then just change capsules. There are no suits in that thing rated for space and neither capsule is built to depressurize and represurize it self. So even if you could get close, life support is still an issue. This isn't some science fiction movie.

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Intune:  If they get rescued, can Boeing/NASA try to bring the craft down unmanned?

Yes. Its autonomous

Well, the first one didnt make its orbit cause it thought it was somewhere it was completely not.

The second had thruster issues and parachute issues.

Neither was a successful flight to any one but boeing leadership who would spin it any way they could to secure future contracts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Yes. Its autonomous

Oh, damn.  Terrible    I will read all of the thread before asking any more questions that have already been answered.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Yea, on the way up after thrusters started to malfunction they took manual control of the space craft. There has been some speculation that this is what contributed to the overheating of thrusters causing more malfunctions.

They have been doing tests to recreate this to see if that was in fact an issue. They wont know for certain until they get through all the numbers and release a report some time in the future. As it stands now they feel they have a new thrust profile to account for this but that's assuming that everything goes as planned and they dont need to take manual control again.

The rub here is that if they get off the ISS OK and their thrusters cant complete the de-orbit burn correctly you got two outcomes. It comes down somewhere its not meant to do and you hope you come down on land or you are stuck in space. The first is a problem cause that thing ain't meant for a water landing. The second is there is nothing you can do about it. You cant just send up dragon, rendezvous and then just change capsules. There are no suits in that thing rated for space and neither capsule is built to depressurize and represurize it self. So even if you could get close, life support is still an issue. This isn't some science fiction movie.
View All Quotes

Yes. Its autonomous

Stayliner can't get stuck in space.  It will come back to earth sooner or later.

You just want to get back before the oxygen runs out.

And while the suits may not be rated for hours of EVA in space, they're pressure suits and would get you into Dragon in a pinch.

Given SpaceX is planning an EVA shortly, it sure sounds like they have the capabilities to either depressurize Dragon or can hang an airlock off of it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:03:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#46]

Stayliner can't get stuck in space.  It will come back to earth sooner or later.

You just want to get back before the oxygen runs out.

And while the suits may not be rated for hours of EVA in space, they're pressure suits and would get you into Dragon in a pinch.

Given SpaceX is planning an EVA shortly, it sure sounds like they have the capabilities to either depressurize Dragon or can hang an airlock off of it.
View Quote

Ive seen you say this before but you never address the elephant in the room. Which of those two crafts has the ability to depressurize and re-pressurize in orbit right now?  Which one of those vessels is currently built to deal with an EVA?  how do you connect those two space ships so you can support a transport of crew with out drift or crushing someone? Those are soft suits not meant for a vacuum, they are meant to deal with sudden cabin depressurization. So without the needed cooling and support structures of the suit, how do they deal with the temps and vacuum of space without turning into that kid from a christmas story.

Alexei Leonov found out using a suit built for it. His answer was to depressurize his suit so he could get back in his capsule and it almost killed him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Dragon can depress/repress. They in fact planning a tethered EVA right now.

Doesn’t change the fact that a dragon can’t just a let them climb in like the movies.

People don’t understand that these spacecraft BARELY make it to the ISS because mission parameters for any launch are crazy tight. They just don’t have the power or fuel to simply drive around anywhere on orbit. Movies make it look simple. It’s not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Well, the first one didnt make its orbit cause it thought it was somewhere it was completely not.

Neither was a successful flight to any one but boeing leadership who would spin it any way they could to secure future contracts.
View All Quotes

Yes. Its autonomous

IIRC, they had heat shield issues on the second flight.

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Doesn’t change the fact that a dragon can’t just a let them climb in like the movies.

People don’t understand that these spacecraft BARELY make it to the ISS because mission parameters for any launch are crazy tight. They just don’t have the power or fuel to simply drive around anywhere on orbit. Movies make it look simple. It’s not.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Planning yes and in the future i am sure it would be more than capable. But what happens today? If they get stuck up there tomorrow, there will not be time to simply build something out. Its either turn key right this second, swap out the return vehicle or roll the dice. Those are your options today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Not the same at all, not even close. The crew knows the problem and is involved in the on-board tests. There is no evidence the NASA crew is ignorant of what is happening. They are safe and can stay for an extended time. They will be brought home when it is deemed safe. Supply flights are upcoming. You are just rumor-mongering and you know it. "Doom, doom, oh my god, doom!' ROFL
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top