Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The F-15EX isn't stealthy.  Which, according to the USAF, isn't a problem for an aircraft designated to fight other radar and missile equipped aircraft in a near-peer engagement.

The A-10 isn't stealthy.  Which, according to the USAF, means it isn't survivable in a CAS role against 3rd tier opposition and should be retired.
View Quote

I have repeated this story several times in GD.

And I will tell it again here.

This is Lt. Gen. Chuck Horner :

He was the air forces commander during Desert Shield/Desert Storm .

He came to speak to us cadets at USAFA in late ‘91 or '92 .

At some point he opened up the floor to cadets to ask questions.  One cadet asked a question along the lines "Don’t you think it is great that the A-10's were able to take so much damage, and limp home, and return the pilot back to base?"

His response was along the lines of "You want a cheap, disposable aircraft to be able to do CAS."

It still has me scratching my head almost 30 years later.

My only guess is that he meant it was cheaper just to buy a new jet than to fix and buy parts for a 20 year old plane That had basketball size holes In its wings or tail.

The thought for many of us cadets especially those who had done SERE training already was "What about the pilot of said disposable aircraft?  Won't he be captured and taken as a POW."  But we didn't get a chance to ask that question.

In the early 90's, the AF did try to spin up a CAS variant of the F-16.  They called it the A-16.  It had a FLIR. “Eye “ mounted just ahead of the front cockpit glass, but just behind the radar.

As you can see that A-16 program didn't go anywhere.

And it is almost 30 years after Desert Storm and we still have A-10's flying.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The Hog's problem is in *any* non-permissive environment...it has nothing to do with "stealth". Go back and look at what their expected losses were in the Fulda Gap scenario, and now add in double-digit Russian SAMs. It was always going to be a slaughterhouse for Hog dudes in a denied environment. That being said, it is still a useful aircraft, but like the F-15Cs in the F-15EX discussion, the A-10 airframes are hitting fatigue-design-life stops and have to be replaced.
View Quote
And yet, USAF kicks and screams and refuses to field LAAR airframes, instead choosing years and years of studies and analysis of alternatives and "system of systems" and whatever other bullshit they can imagine to delay past the election or death of whomever in congress forces them to take action to maintain a CAS aircraft.

Because heaven forbid they fly a low cost turboprop in the same environment that we've been burning up high performance airframes as bomb trucks for the last 20 years.  They could "system of systems" their way into getting the whole CAS role defunded by Congress if they play their cards right.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You're making the same false argument; that the A-10 is vulnerable to a threat it doesn't deploy against.

Might as well justify getting rid of them based on how poorly they would do against TIE fighters.
View Quote

I don't think you read what I wrote.

I said that the Hog was going to be slaughtered in *any* denied environment, so the "it isn't stealth" argument is a strawman.

I also said that the *real* problem with the Hog, and why the AF is drawing it down, is because of airframe life.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The purchase of gen 4.5 aircraft is interesting. Gearing up for china
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And yet, USAF kicks and screams and refuses to field LAAR airframes, instead choosing years and years of studies and analysis of alternatives and "system of systems" and whatever other bullshit they can imagine to delay past the election or death of whomever in congress forces them to take action to maintain a CAS aircraft.
View Quote

If you think that "USAF kicks and screams and refuses to field LAAR airframes", you are strawmanning the debate at HAF, as well as making the mistake of being more concerned with delivery vehicles than weapons effects.

Seems like you've decided what the only acceptable path would be, so I'm not sure you're actually interested in the discussion.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As you can see that A-16 program didn't go anywhere.

And it is almost 30 years after Desert Storm and we still have A-10's flying.
View Quote

Primarily because the "A-16" tests were a disaster.

The pod-mounted gun couldn't maintain zero.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quick math that is 150m/plane.

Memory could be wrong but...

Wasnt that the approximate unit cost at the end of the f22 program (ex R&D)

So Err..
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]

F-15EX decals affixed to F-15QA4 jet in Building 67, Final
Assembly - St. Louis, MO. Purpose of the photo is to show
aircraft readiness to our USAF customer (F-15EX contract
award). MSF20-0024 Series.
View Quote

Well.  At least they got the decals on the tail.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I friend of mine (former USAF pilot) and I were discussing it this morning.

Basically, we're not getting F-35s fast enough to replace airframes going out of service or at limited capacity due to age.

https://warontherocks.com/2019/06/f-15ex-the-strategic-blind-spot-in-the-air-forces-fighter-debate/?fbclid=IwAR2anIhkcRppzZY6U6TK05EL4g8MQOeCp_vmzoK_-9Qv4A6EIMjIPooPMhA

Mentioned the F-15 "Silent Eagle". Now THAT is an interesting sounding bird.

https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/boeing-f15se-silent-eagle/
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
New F-15s aren't going to help in a war with China when 55% of Americans are on China's side. Your cultural and social issues are far bigger problems than defense.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quick math that is 150m/plane.

Memory could be wrong but...

Wasnt that the approximate unit cost at the end of the f22 program (ex R&D)

So Err..
View Quote

Yes, there was no actual long-run "cost savings" of stopping F-22 production, shifting the then-year budget over to producing ISR assets to support Afghanistan and Iraq, and then buying "cheaper" F-35s later. Turns out the F-15Cs, F-16s, and A-10s that were supposed to be replaced by a full fleet of F-22s and F-35s just never materialized.

Take it up with Secretary Gates.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
600 million screaming chinamen.
This is why.
View Quote

That is less than half of china's population.  It's almost 1.4 billion.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you think that "USAF kicks and screams and refuses to field LAAR airframes", you are strawmanning the debate at HAF, as well as making the mistake of being more concerned with delivery vehicles than weapons effects.

Seems like you've decided what the only acceptable path would be, so I'm not sure you're actually interested in the discussion.
View Quote
I think an acceptable path would be to have a CAS capable airframe in inventory before the A10s crumble apart due to age, and every time I read about an effort to actually field an airframe for the purpose, USAF brass always deflect to "interoperability", "system of systems", and "lower echelon partner training".

I don't see how any of those put a bird in the air, but I do see repeated efforts to not field an A10 replacement and eliminate the A10.  I don't see how utilizing a stealthy, high cost per flight hour F35 to bomb mud huts and motorcycles in the desert from 35,000 feet solves the problem that were in now, where a bunch of airframes are worn past their service lives due to doing that exact thing.  Doing the same thing we've been doing (burning up high performance airframes with high per/hour costs to perform low-intensity missions) seems to have cratered availability rates across all of the fleets.

Even if the USAF solution was to turn the T-7A into the AT-7A, that would at least indicate that there is a plan for a path forward post-A10, rather than just eliminating that path or continuing to burn high performance airframes that result in us buying the EX.

My layman's understanding is that "weapon effects" only matter if there's an effective delivery vehicle to get them on target.  An "interoperable" "system of systems" with "low echelon partner training" doesn't seem to solve the delivery vehicle problem, if the delivery vehicles are all aging out. Unless the plan is "death by PowerPoint".

I'm all ears on this one; my apologies if listening to in person frustrations of wounded vets I know, coupled with copious following of procurement developments (or lack thereof) for the last 11 years sounds like I'm not interested in the discussion; these are the discussions I try to actively follow, hopefully for some new information that proves me wrong.

ETA:  to keep this post somewhat on track, the EX does sound like an awesome way to recapitalize part of the fleet, rather than slap halfhearted upgrades into a tired airframe.  The fact that it encourages some degree of effort by someone other than Lockheed is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cost evidently not the main factorBoeing estimates that an F-15EX will cost roughly $80 million; meanwhile, last year's F-35 contract between Lockheed and the Pentagon sets the cost of a conventional-takeoff-and-landing F-35A at $79.2 million in the upcoming Lot 13.

Still, the F-15EX might have an edge on operating costs. The Pentagon's Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation office estimated the F-15EX's cost per flying hour clocks in somewhere around $29,000. Meanwhile, it cost $44,000 per flight hour for an F-35 in fiscal 2018, and the government office expects that to taper down to $36,000 by FY24.

However, Gunzinger noted, F-35 sustainment costs may fall more quickly as the F-35 Joint Program Office aims to reduce the cost per flight hour to $25,000 by FY25.

"I think there has been a lot of debate, discussion and concern over sustainment costs," he said. "But the trend line has been a decrease in sustainment costs, and I think [the goal of $25,000 per flight hour] is very feasible. If you can get a real fifth-gen capability for even a little more than what it would cost to sustain the F-15EX or other fourth-gen aircraft, then that's a better deal."

It's debatable whether this is the best possible weapons mix by taking advantage of F-15's missile capacity, the most airpower in the time available before a throwdown with China, or if it's naked corporate welfare for ailing Boeing, but I bet that F-35s scouting and creating a fire control network for F-15 missile trucks lurking just out of detection range (also for ground and naval SAMs) is going to kick a lot of ass.

View Quote

One important factor is they are saying this will be a 20,000 hour airframe which is huge.  These things could be flying for a long, long time.   Despite the age of the original design, it's a very capable and very well proven design and there are plenty of jobs that don't call for a top tier stealth aircraft.    These things alone could outmatch the airforces of the vast majority of countries in the world with only a few exceptions.   With all the modern electronics they should outclass the legacy stuff in inventory.

Also with all that rack space they have to be capable of using external fuel tanks for some insane range .  

The AF could do a lot worse than procure a few dozen of these.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#15]
The F-15EX is just the Air Force spending it's budget on what it wants to have not on the missions it is being tasked to accomplish.  AF criteria is "Will it look cool in the next IRON EAGLE movie?".

The solution is simple:
Air Force = Interceptor/Air Superiority, Strategic Bombing, EW/ELINT, Transport, Tanking
Army = Close Air Support, SEAD/WW, Tactical Recon, SAR, Forward Air Control/Spotter
Nobody = ICBM.  Retire this leg of the Strategic Triad.  This force is crumbling due to neglect and poor morale since anybody getting assigned here has no advancement opportunities in the AF.

The problem is that the Air Force won't let these missions go to the Army, which wants to actually do them, because the AF wants to keep the budget.  To spend on cool looking go fast jets that don't do the mission.  We need to stop promoting the "Fighter Mafia" into senior positions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because heaven forbid they fly a low cost turboprop in the same environment that we've been burning up high performance airframes as bomb trucks for the last 20 years.  They could "system of systems" their way into getting the whole CAS role defunded by Congress if they play their cards right.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Hog's problem is in *any* non-permissive environment...it has nothing to do with "stealth". Go back and look at what their expected losses were in the Fulda Gap scenario, and now add in double-digit Russian SAMs. It was always going to be a slaughterhouse for Hog dudes in a denied environment. That being said, it is still a useful aircraft, but like the F-15Cs in the F-15EX discussion, the A-10 airframes are hitting fatigue-design-life stops and have to be replaced.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17162/document-offers-new-details-about-those-ov-10-broncos-that-went-to-fight-isis
They know the answer, they just don't like it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

the A-10 airframes are hitting fatigue-design-life stops and have to be replaced.

View Quote

How depressing.  I'm going to really miss that shark toothy grin in our airspace when they are gone.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#18]
What a lifespan.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Wow, 16 missiles!

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The only similarity is the outward look.  The underlying structure looks similar, but the cross section dimensions are different, and some parts are completely changed.

None of the equipment is the same.

I'm disappointed the stops were not pulled out to exploit the potential.

ETA:

Wings are not falling off of F-15C's.

F-15C's are air superiority airplanes, not the "low" mission.  That is the F-16's role.  With AESA radar, an F-15C is formidable against a modern threat.

I haven't seen a Hi Torque screw on a print in years.  The secret to success is 1/4 inch diameter titanium alloy screws so the heads can't be twisted off.  PH13-8Mo 3/16th's screws are also stout enough.  Triply important on daily access doors.

View Quote
I thought the Cs had structural issues? Not a fault just worn out type issues.  Flying the wings off them is a euphemism, is it not the actual wings?

I didn't mean high/low as much as I meant 5th gen/4th gen.  4th being the missile trucks with all the hard points and 5th gen with the stealth and sensors/links to coordinate.  

Do I have all of that wrong?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL

Luke is the F35A training base for the entire world.
View Quote

I know, they fly over my house everyday. I miss seeing the F-15's we use to have.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I for one expect Boeing 2020 to fuck this up and have planes randomly fall out of the air.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

16 missiles taking tasking orders from the superior DAS system from an accompanying F35.

Together they are a force multiplier and a stronger unit vs the individual stats.
View Quote

this.

a flying missile warehouse distribution center waiting for the next order.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Capable of two aviators, but USAF plans on only using one?  Does that mean the second seat and weight will be removed, allowing for more fuel and missiles?

Also....it's sad that the F35 and most of our combat aircraft seem so short legged these days.  I know they can get aerial refueling, but 400 miles is 400 miles.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Reading that sales pitch for manned prop aircraft, I'm struggling to see what capabilities they provide that a current generation armed UAS doesn't? It carried the same equipment as a drone, only its bigger and manned and at greater risk. I'm not seeing the gap they're referring to.

Another problem which no one likes to discuss is the overreliance of the Army on CAS instead of using organic FS systems like artillery or rockets. Many Maneuver commanders see CAS as their primary fire support tool when that isn't the case.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is why.
View Quote
What you did there, I seent it!

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#28]
$150 million per plane on the first eight. Is lube for each tax payer included in that price.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#30]
So it happened?  Last I heard all the experts on ARF said the AF would never buy them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to stick with my assertion that Stealth isn't the advantage it used to be.  The Advanced avionics and networking are the real advantage of the 5th gen fighters.  So to me an F-15 with all the new tech toys makes sense.

I know someone will be along to tell me I'm full of shit...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
New F-15s aren't going to help in a war with China when 55% of Americans are on China's side. Your cultural and social issues are far bigger problems than defense.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#33]
5th gen electrodoodads and tech in a chassis that flys significantly higher/faster/further than our current production stealthy thigamajigs...

How is this a bad thing?

I mean, think about all the avionics/electronics space that needed dedicated to only do what they could do in the 80’s versus how compact/efficient/capable electronics and sensor systems are in 2020... I’m willing to bet an iPhone 12 could outcompete an old F15, lol.

This is going to be badass.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
5th gen electrodoodads and tech in a chassis that flys significantly higher/faster/further than our current production stealthy thigamajigs...

How is this a bad thing?
View Quote
There isn't much that operates comfortably faster and higher than a 22.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Capable of two aviators, but USAF plans on only using one?  Does that mean the second seat and weight will be removed, allowing for more fuel and missiles?

Also....it's sad that the F35 and most of our combat aircraft seem so short legged these days.  I know they can get aerial refueling, but 400 miles is 400 miles.
View Quote

Yep, that's why Navy fighters have to rely on land based Air Force tankers
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this a bad thing?

Are F22s our current production stealth thingamajigs?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How is this a bad thing?
View Quote

Boeing is building these. There is a deep and insistent culture of corporate incompetence derived from the Jack Welch "bean counter' way of doing business that is drowning the entire company in a Stygian darkness.

If these first two are delivered and AF quality control says. "We aren't accepting these. They are full of construction flaws." Well, that won't be good for anyone but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Theres also the fact that it should be classified as the F model. And the fact that there has been so many generations of improvement and changes in the airframe that Boeing could have reconfigured the internals to create a variant with bigger engines without... too much more effort. A... Super Eagle to go along with the Super Hornet.

But a more conservative approach was taken for various reasons. Honestly, a few squadrons of these birds with competent pilots and a full quiver of AMRAAM's and sidewinders will be more than enough to stomp the fuck out of 80% of this planets Air Forces.

And yet I have a bad feeling about this project. Like its a signpost pointing to something. But I have no idea what.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are F22s our current production stealth thingamajigs?
View Quote
Sorry i saw thingamajigS...as in plural.  I assumed you meant both the 22 and 35.

With the GE engines will the EX super cruise?  That seems like it could be handy in the pacific region where distances are longer
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Very cool!  Hopefully they don't offshore the flight systems code where they pay by the line!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Because we only built 180 f22s and the wings are falling off the 15Cs in the inventory.  22s and 35s can quarter back a big fight but there aren't enough of them or enough stealth storage bay capacity fight big battles.

Enter 15ex to truck missiles around in quantity and fight gen4 adversaries.

Hi low mix, we just flew the wings off the low part.
View Quote

Not to mention ordinance compatibility, repair depots, mechanics and support staff already aplenty for f-15.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Very cool!  Hopefully they don't offshore the flight systems code where they pay by the line!
View Quote
I've heard boeing wouldn't even share it with Lockmart for the 15SA simulator.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#42]
If these things can't directly talk to F-35s, they are wrong.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's the F-16.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chaaaaaapy

That's the F-16.

Then why are they using an older model number. Shouldn't they be using a higher model like a 17 or 18?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If these things can't directly talk to F-35s, they are wrong.
View Quote

They can.

There would be no point to their construction otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Then why are they using an older model number. Shouldn't they be using a higher model like a 17 or 18?
View Quote

Because those numbers are already taken...?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#46]
The F-15EX is years from hitting the ramp.  The picture is of a F-15QA (Qatar A/C) with a F-15EX logo.  Globo-Boeing has to finish building all the F-15QA jets before they get to the F-15s for the USAF.

Boeing also probably has to finish up delivery of the F-15SAs for the Saudis...I wonder if the jets that were rotting on the ramp with thousands of non-conformances were ever made airworthy.

Unfortunately, the AF F-15s will probably be as full of non-conformances, defects, untested components, and unqualified parts as their export planes are.

At least the wings aren't being built by Koreans.

These planes will wind up as stateside test A/C and be queens at Eglin, Edwards, and other test sites.  Unfortunately it will be 2030 before they get there.  I'm sure the mental midgets at the F-15 SPO have a 15K test point test plan they will have to do.

These F-15 buys are just a bridge to keep the lights on at St Louis until they attempt to build the robo-tanker for the Navy and the new trainer for the AF.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I really think that we need a Lot of Cheap Air to Air fighters to defend CONUS rather than a few Expensive Air to Air planes that can't cover a lot of territory.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm going to stick with my assertion that Stealth isn't the advantage it used to be.  The Advanced avionics and networking are the real advantage of the 5th gen fighters.  So to me an F-15 with all the new tech toys makes sense.

I know someone will be along to tell me I'm full of shit...
View Quote

Stealth isn't the end-all it is made out to be, but anything that gives an enemy less time to react to your presence is a good thing.  Shoot first kill first is still a thing.

but you are right, that is it is all the sensors and fused data that is rapidly becoming the force multiplier.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#50]
It kind of looks like a counter to Chinese Human shit tier flying things wave attacks.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top