View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
My latest, picked up yesterday.  
Ed Brown
https://i.imgur.com/TEGBiUu.jpg
Wow!  That gun is beautiful!
Thanks, I think it needs some ivory though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You're lucky! It's a crap shoot if you get a 1911 out of the box that works 100% of the time. And Im not exaggerating that. I own them and know. But when we had practical shooting classes in Texas in order to get a CHL, guess what gun it was that would have malfunctions and cause a ceasefire at the range. Some proud owners will also call their 1911"reliable" if it works  most of the time, but not 100% of the time. I had somebody at the range once tell me "Yes, my 1911 works great" .Then from 2 shooting booths over I proceeded to watch him fire it and have malfunctions. I don't know why so many gunowners must lie about their gun as if it's their bastard blood son they're defending.
View Quote

My Colt Rail Gun hasn’t malfunctioned in ten years of classes, competitions and recreational shooting. I guess it’s waiting for it’s big chance?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For the bad guy, looking down the bore of a .45 is always more “thought provoking” than looking down the bore of a 9mm.

http://www.coltautos.com/images/1911a1_722980r_421B7003.jpg
View Quote

Ohgood lord. you watch way too many cop shows.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not  been shopping for grips snd trying to decide between mammoth and Ivory
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have not  been shopping for grips snd trying to decide between mammoth and Ivory
View Quote
Let me know wht you find. I've been looking for something appropriate for my Professional

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the bad guy, looking down the bore of a .45 is always more "thought provoking" than looking down the bore of a 9mm.

http://www.coltautos.com/images/1911a1_722980r_421B7003.jpg

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
you know you want to

so I did

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let me know wht you find. I've been looking for something appropriate for my Professional
https://i.ibb.co/hY19JGj/20220314-205512.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/hY19JGj/20220314-205512.jpg

If you want to borrow a set of ivory g10 grips let me know.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No it isn't.
View Quote

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve owned most brands of 1911s. no imports tho, except for a couple Canuck Paras. At least a dozen.  Only issue has been one extractor I replaced.
 I have to wonder what some of you have done to make yours malfunction.  Shit ammo? Mine eat all my reloads like a fat kid with a bag of chips.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're lucky! It's a crap shoot if you get a 1911 out of the box that works 100% of the time. And Im not exaggerating that. I own them and know. But when we had practical shooting classes in Texas in order to get a CHL, guess what gun it was that would have malfunctions and cause a ceasefire at the range. Some proud owners will also call their 1911"reliable" if it works  most of the time, but not 100% of the time. I had somebody at the range once tell me "Yes, my 1911 works great" .Then from 2 shooting booths over I proceeded to watch him fire it and have malfunctions. I don't know why so many gunowners must lie about their gun as if it's their bastard blood son they're defending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 My RIA runs right out of the box. I put a heavy buffer spring and a Shok Buff in because of hot hand loads but that's it. Trigger is sweet and other than a bad factory mag its runs like a top.

No gun works 100% of the time. If you shoot enough you will encounter: parts breaking / wearing out, worn out springs, bad mags, primers failing... When people tell me their gun is 100%, I just use that as an indicator that I'm dealing with someone who doesn't shoot much.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the 1911 A1. The modern versions are even better. But I still prefer a Glock 19 for daily carry.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No gun works 100% of the time. If you shoot enough you will encounter: parts breaking / wearing out, worn out springs, bad mags, primers failing... When people tell me their gun is 100%, I just use that as an indicator that I'm dealing with someone who doesn't shoot much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 My RIA runs right out of the box. I put a heavy buffer spring and a Shok Buff in because of hot hand loads but that's it. Trigger is sweet and other than a bad factory mag its runs like a top.

Welcome new gun enthusiast from thin air country.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Welcome new gun enthusiast to this website guy from thin air country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome new gun enthusiast to this website guy from thin air country.

Fixed and thanks for the welcome.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To heavy. Nearly twice the size and weight of a G43X and less capacity.
View Quote

It’s like dating a fat girl who doesn’t give good head. Why wouldn’t you get something better in both departments?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's like dating a fat girl who doesn't give good head. Why wouldn't you get something better in both departments?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To heavy. Nearly twice the size and weight of a G43X and less capacity.

It's like dating a fat girl who doesn't give good head. Why wouldn't you get something better in both departments?
  Because I shoot it better than any handgun I have ever owned. The trigger is awesome and it's really accurate. I figure 10 rounds of 10mm are enough but if not I can reload.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a shame it's hard to search past ARFCOM now, because I spent a lot of time talking about the virtues of 1911 pistols here when it seemed like everybody else was sniffing powdered Glock "perfection" off each other's dicks.

Seeing the 1911 cycle back through is massively entertaining and depressing at the same time.

Entertaining because people are figuring out shit that people figured out long before them.

Depressing because I'm old enough to be seeing my first turn of the Cycle of Gun Shit. This means of acquiring wisdom sucks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I went through this moral conundrum a while back.

Had a hard time deciding between my DW Vigil, Sig P220 SAO or USP 45 compact.

USP 45 compact won the battle.

Although i still carry the 1911 sometimes and the p220 gets some love as well, the USP 45 compact has proven itself to be the better CARRY gun for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pistols are fashion accessories for most people.  It really doesn’t matter what it is.
View Quote

I was talking to one of our main firearms guys at work yesterday who just got back from Shot. He was telling me about his new glock, i said “ so you like the glocks then”

Shrugs Shoulders

“ its just a gun man”

Part of me changed in that moment.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was talking to one of our main firearms guys at work yesterday who just got back from Shot. He was telling me about his new glock, i said “ so you like the glocks then”

Shrugs Shoulders

“ its just a gun man”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pistols are fashion accessories for most people.  It really doesn’t matter what it is.

Shrugs Shoulders

“ its just a gun man”

He's 100% right.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shrugs Shoulders

“ its just a gun man”

View Quote

I get that, but the other part of me realizes it's a critical tool that spends more hours with me than almost any other. same with a watch. I don't want to have a crazy amount of things, but I want to spend time with things I enjoy.

the 365xl shoots well. I made it pretty cool, it's got a dot, light, and can take a can, etc. I have never really ENJOYED training with it. feels like a chore. arguably it is, but feels like it.

I LIKE training with 1911s. I enjoy it more. I think it's hard to define but makes a bunch of sense to me.

a few months ago my next door neighbor became an active shooter and for a few minutes we were genuinely concerned he was coming to our house. our safe room is the gun room, but like many I have random shit scattered, half done projects, things I always said I'd get around to finishing up with a sling or better dot or whatever. In that few seconds I grabbed my SBR (which was well set up for just such an event) and threw my 365 in my pocket. Then posted up between a legit evil murderer and my very young children.  I didn't end up needing to shoot anyone thankfully, but I was absolutely ready to.

Afterwards and upon reflection, I realized that if I'm going to be in a situation that high stress, I want something I'm comfortable with, and intimiately familiar. Collections and varied stuff and all that mental energy we spend (waste) here arguing over ballistics of 9 vs 45 or beans or whateverthefuck is out the window. It's just you and whatever you've chosen to fill your hands with. I have decided I want that to be a 1911.

Baer now lives in battle belt just inside the door.

DW currently in glove box....
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I get that, but the other part of me realizes it's a critical tool that spends more hours with me than almost any other. same with a watch. I don't want to have a crazy amount of things, but I want to spend time with things I enjoy.

the 365xl shoots well. I made it pretty cool, it's got a dot, light, and can take a can, etc. I have never really ENJOYED training with it. feels like a chore. arguably it is, but feels like it.

I LIKE training with 1911s. I enjoy it more. I think it's hard to define but makes a bunch of sense to me.

a few months ago my next door neighbor became an active shooter and for a few minutes we were genuinely concerned he was coming to our house. our safe room is the gun room, but like many I have random shit scattered, half done projects, things I always said I'd get around to finishing up with a sling or better dot or whatever. In that few seconds I grabbed my SBR (which was well set up for just such an event) and threw my 365 in my pocket. Then posted up between a legit evil murderer and my very young children.  I didn't end up needing to shoot anyone thankfully, but I was absolutely ready to.

Afterwards and upon reflection, I realized that if I'm going to be in a situation that high stress, I want something I'm comfortable with, and intimiately familiar. Collections and varied stuff and all that mental energy we spend (waste) here arguing over ballistics of 9 vs 45 or beans or whateverthefuck is out the window. It's just you and whatever you've chosen to fill your hands with. I have decided I want that to be a 1911.

View Quote

That’s crazy man!

Neighbor down the road did something similar ( held wife at gun point, neighbor across the street went out and challenged him, guy ran off and killed himself. I wasn’t home.

Long short of it. I told my wife that I wanted to sell some guns I don’t use anymore since the safe is filling up….she says “ get a second safe”.

So the second smaller safe has a few guns in it but it  more importantly has the guns I feel 100% with in the unlikely event that something kicks off. My go to rifle is the 10.5 SBR that adco assembled and pinned the gas block with the nice trigger and aimpoint. I also have the Benelli m4, my second duty belt and my second set of body armor.

Because you never know.

People are crazy

Anyway Back to 1911’s.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#25]
My Dan Wesson Vigil had a hard break in period and after around 800-900 rounds and a few mag changes it seems to be where it needs to be.

She hated WIlson combat mags but loves the sig 1911 mags. One of the DW mags that shipped with the gun wont drop free and the other just barely pushes the slide stop up. I emailed DW and they never got back to me.

So i just shoot it every so often and check for function.

Like everyone here says the magazines appear to be the weak point of the gun. I really want to send it out to nighthawk for the reliability package and some tuning, i think that would be the (o)(o)
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you just use a 15 round Communist Colorado converted magazine in a G17?

Our previous Communist Gov passed a similiar law, but virtually no one follows it. The only thing that has changed is you can't find real mags at big box stores, and you can't buy them on the internet. But they are for sale at all the gun shops.

I feel bad for you guys, and am praying that Justice Thomas will again ride to the rescue of our endangered Constitution.
View Quote

Yes I believe I could. But at the end of the day, carrying at G17 is a bit tedious. I have it in a Tier 1 appendix rig and its tolerable walking the dogo in the marsh lands in winter, but sitting down sucks, and concealing under light clothes sucks. Maybe I should just get a G19?

I currently own three 1911s, so I am going to inevitably carry those. Also looking for another 442 as a BUG / pocket gun.

Thanks for your prayers my friend.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He's 100% right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shrugs Shoulders

“ its just a gun man”

He's 100% right.

He is. In relation to the Glock.

I love cars. Some can be beautiful. Some can be reliable. Some can be functional. Some are very basic.

I look at the Crown Victoria like I look at a Glock. It is plain, basic and no frills. It is just functional and gets the job done.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes, yes it is.

Commander VBOB in a Milt Sparks is the sweet spot for a steel pistol.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/DSC_0089_JPG-2697815.JPG

But as a very close runner up, at roughly the same size and weight the P229 Legion Compact SAO bumps you up seven rounds of 9mm and doesn't give up a whole lot to the 1911 in trigger and 'chootability. Get both.
View Quote

I got to fondle a CBOB one time…was $960…didn’t have the dough but, man, what a nice piece.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking to one of our main firearms guys at work yesterday who just got back from Shot. He was telling me about his new glock, i said " so you like the glocks then"

Shrugs Shoulders

" its just a gun man"

Arguing 9 vs 45 is a colossal waste of time when 10mm exists.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I love cars. Some can be beautiful. Some can be reliable. Some can be functional. Some are very basic.

I look at the Crown Victoria like I look at a Glock. It is plain, basic and no frills. It is just functional and gets the job done.
View Quote

I miss my Grand Marquis
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Trumpwrong.gif
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And what each scenario above has in common?

Buddies to back you up when you get a stovepipe....

When I'm by myself, I tend to like to double the ammo capacity, twice the reliability in the same conditions you describe without the length and weight.

I never doubted for a second that in a thread full of 1911 cheerleaders that anyone would agree.

But if your being intellectually honest, you would.

Anyone who knows there going into Harm's way stopped using them years ago. In the world I live in, that's your first clue.
I know, it looks cool when Bosch carries one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1911's are for nostalgia and style points.

If you serious about your self defense, you don't carry a 1911

The 1911 has performed adequately i............ninjas in the Scranton Mall.

When I'm by myself, I tend to like to double the ammo capacity, twice the reliability in the same conditions you describe without the length and weight.

I never doubted for a second that in a thread full of 1911 cheerleaders that anyone would agree.

Anyone who knows there going into Harm's way stopped using them years ago. In the world I live in, that's your first clue.

Let's quote the AEF manual on the 1911:
1918 Manual of the Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, Model of 1911:
“In any military pistol there are certain essential qualities:
"Accuracy.
"Power to stop the enemy at once.
"Rapidity of fire.
"Reliability.
“The automatic pistol, caliber .45, Model 1911, satisfies all of the above conditions, and as a military pistol is superior to any other made. As a target pistol, it lacks many qualities. The refinements for target work, however, would prove a detriment in hard field service.”

Let's quote another source:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-g-i-45-m1911-in-world-war-ii/
"The potent short-range stopping power of the rugged and reliable M1911 proved its worth in many brutal close-quarter trench-warfare engagements. After the war, many .45s went home in the duffel bags of members of the American Expeditionary Force."

I mean, I could go on and on on historical contexts saying the 1911 was a great combat sidearm.

So, Harv, you've been debunked hardcore. Go back under your bridge and troll under there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

“Report on Infantry Weapons in Combat,” gave a brief synopsis on the arms used by a Marine Raider Battalion on New Georgia Island. The segment on the .45 simply stated, “U.S. Pistol, Cal. .45, M1911-M1911A1. Held up very well, but used very little.”

The 1911 makes a great paper weight.

edit: I have one. i enjoy shooting it at the range, or at least I did until it ejected its front sight into another dimension. It is large, the hammer cuts my hand, it is unreliable, but it is fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 1911 has performed adequately in the worst combat conditions on the planet.  
Nasty, muddy, mustard gas filled trenches in WW1 against mass raids of Germans? Check.
Banzai charges in jungles, deserts of North Africa, urban combat on both eastern and western front? Check.
In the coldest battles in the high mountains in the Korean War? Check.
In the nastiest jungles in Vietnam? Check.
Multiple special forces? Check.
Still in some police departments? Check.

But this guy thinks the 1911 is inadequate for a raid of overweight mall ninjas in the Scranton Mall.

“Report on Infantry Weapons in Combat,” gave a brief synopsis on the arms used by a Marine Raider Battalion on New Georgia Island. The segment on the .45 simply stated, “U.S. Pistol, Cal. .45, M1911-M1911A1. Held up very well, but used very little.”

The 1911 makes a great paper weight.

edit: I have one. i enjoy shooting it at the range, or at least I did until it ejected its front sight into another dimension. It is large, the hammer cuts my hand, it is unreliable, but it is fun.

It is a combat sidearm. When used, as you stated, it held up very well.

Now tell me, friend, in what combat situations are you going to experience in your local mall or restaurant that are WORSE than the combat conditions in any of the combat locations I mentioned?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It’s like dating a fat girl who doesn’t give good head. Why wouldn’t you get something better in both departments?
View Quote

But the grippy is unfathomable
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

nah, I think it's like dating Mary Ann. Sure Ginger exists and may be the "better option" but if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"Accuracy.
"Rapidity of fire.
"Reliability.
“The automatic pistol, caliber .45, Model 1911, satisfies all of the above conditions, and as a military pistol is superior to any other made. As a target pistol, it lacks many qualities. The refinements for target work, however, would prove a detriment in hard field service.”

"The potent short-range stopping power of the rugged and reliable M1911 proved its worth in many brutal close-quarter trench-warfare engagements. After the war, many .45s went home in the duffel bags of members of the American Expeditionary Force."

I mean, I could go on and on on historical contexts saying the 1911 was a great combat sidearm.

So, Harv, you've been debunked hardcore. Go back under your bridge and troll under there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Accuracy.
"Rapidity of fire.
"Reliability.

Puhleese

I was most likely shooting a 1911 when you were on the couch , watching Scooby do in your Underroo's.

Longevity has zilch to do with performance.
You know why the 1911 served so long??? because the DOD didn't want to spend the money on a sidearm that has little impact on the outcome of a conflict.

Look at any Military organization (Special Operations) that can choose Whatever Handgun they want, none of them choose a 1911.

Did Delta Force use them? absolutely, right up until they retired them and started using Glocks?

Only Reason MARSOC chose a 1911 was Nostalgia. and once the frames started cracking under heavy use, that ended.

Does any LEO unit carry them, not any that see action on a daily basis. Some Podunk outfit out in the sticks, who has yet to have an OIS. And there using it for the same reason, cool factor and nostalgia.

You know how many Chicago cops still caried wheel guns?? All the old guys who grew up with them. and didn't want to be bothered to learn on a new pistol.

Most who choose a 1911 do it for the coolness factor and Nostalgia, they just don't want to be honest about it.

Is it a cool BBQ gun? sure, with ivory Grips and a hand tooled Leather Holster. Yes, there cool.

And since NONE of us can predict if were every going to be involved in a shootout, and NONE can predict how that shoot out is going down,
We can approach it with two choices.
A. Don't bother carrying as the odds are in your favor, or carry something that is less then Optimal, Like a pocket .38 or a 1911, because...Odds
B. Choose the tool that will give you the highest margin of success and a positive outcome in the event YOU DO get in a gunfight.

We all make choices. and the 1911 is NOT the superior carry gun.  At least be honest and check A as your choice.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I miss my Grand Marquis
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss my Grand Marquis
PANTHER PARTY! vic_crown

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you can't shoot a double from concealment in the A zone at 7 yards under 1.5 seconds or a sub 6 second FAST drills then you're not serious about self defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't shoot a double from concealment in the A zone at 7 yards under 1.5 seconds or a sub 6 second FAST drills then you're not serious about self defense.

You like to use the quote "It's not the odds...it's the stakes."

And you still carry 1911's and Wheel guns, your stakes must be pretty low cost.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Puhleese

I was most likely shooting a 1911 when you were on the couch , watching Scooby do in your Underroo's.

You know why the 1911 served so long??? because the DOD didn't want to spend the money on a sidearm that has little impact on the outcome of a conflict.

Look at any Military organization (Special Operations) that can choose Whatever Handgun they want, none of them choose a 1911.

Did Delta Force use them? absolutely, right up until they retired them and started using Glocks?

Only Reason MARSOC chose a 1911 was Nostalgia. and once the frames started cracking under heavy use, that ended.

Does any LEO unit carry them, not any that see action on a daily basis. Some Podunk outfit out in the sticks, who has yet to have an OIS. And there using it for the same reason, cool factor and nostalgia.

You know how many Chicago cops still caried wheel guns?? All the old guys who grew up with them. and didn't want to be bothered to learn on a new pistol.

Most who choose a 1911 do it for the coolness factor and Nostalgia, they just don't want to be honest about it.

Is it a cool BBQ gun? sure, with ivory Grips and a hand tooled Leather Holster. Yes, there cool.

And since NONE of us can predict if were every going to be involved in a shootout, and NONE can predict how that shoot out is going down,
A. Don't bother carrying as the odds are in your favor, or carry something that is less then Optimal, Like a pocket .38 or a 1911, because...Odds
B. Choose the tool that will give you the highest margin of success and a positive outcome in the event YOU DO get in a gunfight.

We all make choices. and the 1911 is NOT the superior carry gun.  At least be honest and check A as your choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Accuracy.
"Rapidity of fire.
"Reliability.

Puhleese

"because the DOD didn't want to spend the money on a sidearm that has little impact on the outcome of a conflict."

Wait, you mean the sidearm will have little impact on the outcome? Holy shit.... Um, yeah. I've been saying that.

"Only Reason MARSOC chose a 1911 was Nostalgia. and once the frames started cracking under heavy use, that ended."

Yes that was the reason they chose them. The cracked frames did not end their service however. It was the preliminary guns that cracked. Colt beefed up the rail area and then MARSOC used them for another decade and Force Recon is just now transitioning.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

1911’s don’t metric.
Glock is behind the other door. Shut it on your way out.
????
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all. And it's your condescending gate keeper attitude that gets the attention. Not your opinion.

I consider what I can do with wheel guns and 1911s more than good enough. I think it was the October arfcom challenge where I tied for 1st with a Smith and Wesson m10.

I regularly beat guys shooting polymer double stack mrds guns. Like in the arfcom challenge. Why don't you shoot it? Arfcom monthly challenge

I regularly shoot double stack mrds guns and my times and accuracy isn't significantly better. Sometimes it's not better at all. So I choose guns that are more comfortable to carry and that I can still shoot 2.2 to 2.5 second bill drills or 1 second shots from concealment and ring steel at 100yards and still be more effective against bear and moose.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1911's don't metric.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1911's don't metric.
 That's odd. I could swear this one is 10mm. Would you feel better if I called it a 40 Magnum?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

*laughs in 45 Super and 460R
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respect that the 10mm edges out the .45 super but the great thing about .45 super is that it's easy to use the .45 ACP you already use.

After shooting deer with .45 ACP, super, and heavy .45 colt I've found the best balance for me is 255gr swc at 950fps. I'm loading up 270gr swc at 950fps in my colts because it feels about the same and should penetrate a little more. I'm not sure I could use the 270s in ACP cases but that might be a neat test.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Puhleese

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Accuracy.
"Rapidity of fire.
"Reliability.

Puhleese

"Longevity has zilch to do with performance." - LULZ.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I respect that the 10mm edges out the .45 super but the great thing about .45 super is that it's easy to use the .45 ACP you already use.

After shooting deer with .45 ACP, super, and heavy .45 colt I've found the best balance for me is 255gr swc at 950fps. I'm loading up 270gr swc at 950fps in my colts because it feels about the same and should penetrate a little more. I'm not sure I could use the 270s in ACP cases but that might be a neat test.
View Quote

45 Super/450SMC = 185 grains at 1350 fps out of a 5" barrel (1400 fps out of my FNP45 with 5.5" barrel)
45 Super/450SMC = 255 grains......1075 FPS out of a 5" barrel, 1100 out of my 5.5".

10MM = 180 grains at 1350 fps.....
i'm not even sure there is a 10mm in 255 grains....230 grain heaviest that I know of....

Neither really compare to 460R though......but in both 45 Super/10MM defense, neither need a brake or slide weights....
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#47]

In the grand tradition of ARFCOM, get both.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
 That's odd. I could swear this one is 10mm. Would you feel better if I called it a 40 Magnum?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254560/A3C6D5A2-EFE3-4D12-A55C-A46568681E09_jpe-2700816.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1911's don't metric.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254560/A3C6D5A2-EFE3-4D12-A55C-A46568681E09_jpe-2700816.JPG

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#49]
OP is correct.  God's gun in God's caliber is the only way to go.

Yesterday during our monthly church security training we all had to shoot at a pop up target probably 10 yards-ish away.  I watched shooter after shooter ping the pop up target with 9mm.  Shooters were supposed to hit it with two rounds and move to the next target.  I stepped up to it with my 45 and with one round it fell over.  I'd call that winning.

The perp:

Springfield Mil-Spec.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top