BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 58
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

If I pour sugar in your gas tank one night and you start driving your car the next morning and it dies and causes an accident and you say engine failure is at fault…. Do you have the complete picture?  

You be smarter.

I’m not saying it’s terrorism… but if you want to chip away at a nations economy, this is a damn good way to do it.
View Quote

If someone had communicated with me before I started it and said its leaking oil and it seized up I wouldn't automatically assume someone had put sugar in my tank.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
One has to wonder if, before the strike, the ship radioed ANYONE and declared an emergency due to loss of power or rudder control. One would think they could have or should have but it'll be interesting to see if they actually did.
View Quote

I'm sure they did bc the traffic pretty much stopped crossing immediately before impact.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
The short bus stopped and unloaded all of its passengers in this thread.
View Quote

You should read some of the X/Twitter threads
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
I know we’re still in recovery and don’t mean to be course with my comment, but I’d like to get my reaction out on day one. Prayers for the people killed and injured in this event.

I think some of you guys are going to be shocked at the speed the channel gets cleared/open and this bridge gets put back up. The piers are already there. Plug in the span and height, build in some improvements over the 60 year old bridge, and get to work. This is where America shines, big construction is what we do. 24 months to get a replacement seems plausible to me, I’ll bet the wheels are already in motion.
View Quote

We are at our best when circumstances are worst.

I think you’re right.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Thank you.

That is a bit of useful information.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
If anyone wants insight from actual commercial shipping captains and crew, check out the gCaptain forums...

Thank you.

Don't go there expecting much more than you'll get in GD. Lots of randos, sportfish Captains, and wild speculation will abound.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

Tell me youve never piloted a boat without telling me you never piloted a boat. Next time there is a 3-5 mph wind outside, take a sheet and go hold it up like a sail. Now imaging that sheet is roughly 900' long and lets say 80' high. I can easily push a 10,000 lb boat in the water while standing on the dock. Theres little to no friction to counter act the force.

It doest take much wind. Also those same eyes you speak of in your post would be able to see the 2 power failures it had leading up to it. But go on describe more about terrorism. They must have used radios to command everyone to cut lights on the ship so they can fool all the infidels into thinking it was an accident.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:
Originally Posted By greenranger:
Originally Posted By Vne:
Sure doesn't look like there's much wind on the water. Looks as smooth as can be.

You gonna believe your own lying eyes? Lol

Tell me youve never piloted a boat without telling me you never piloted a boat. Next time there is a 3-5 mph wind outside, take a sheet and go hold it up like a sail. Now imaging that sheet is roughly 900' long and lets say 80' high. I can easily push a 10,000 lb boat in the water while standing on the dock. Theres little to no friction to counter act the force.

It doest take much wind. Also those same eyes you speak of in your post would be able to see the 2 power failures it had leading up to it. But go on describe more about terrorism. They must have used radios to command everyone to cut lights on the ship so they can fool all the infidels into thinking it was an accident.

Terrorist don't know how to blow up or sabotage a generator or power room at a crucial time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
Pretty good synopsis of the accident in 30 seconds by the qualified captain on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4-i7SorF0Q/?igsh=MXJrbHFidXU1cWR1OA==

Power loss, recovery, power loss, attempted recovery, too late, collision.
View Quote

Nope.

The experts in GD have already determined that hackers in Kazakhstan took over the chart plotter and helm controls remotely and steered it into the bridge. Keep up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:

Tide comes in, tide goes out.  You can’t explain that
View Quote

Can't explain that there was very little wind?  WTF?  I'll try, the air was not moving relative to the ground.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:

I'm sure they did bc the traffic pretty much stopped crossing immediately before impact.
View Quote

Yeah. I watched the bridge video before I’d read this whole thread and I was rooting hard for that last tractor-trailer.

Without a doubt the harbor pilot had radioed someone to clear the bridge.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Damn the bridge I go over a lot gets hit by barges all the time

I guess thats a bit different and a ton more weight and energy though
View Quote

10 million tons of force or something like that.

H
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bjohnson425:
Boat fuel can’t melt steel beams .
View Quote

And this was the Francis Scott Key bridge…the writer of the Star Spangled Banner our National Anthem!

Someone is sending us a clear message
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

Don't go there expecting much more than you'll get in GD. Lots of randos, sportfish Captains, and wild speculation will abound.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
If anyone wants insight from actual commercial shipping captains and crew, check out the gCaptain forums...

Thank you.

Like any forum, but already some good information on the history of this vessel and operating out of Baltimore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Halo_is_for_Kids:
It's become clear that p Diddy has orchestrated this bridge collapse to draw attention away from himself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#14]
The amount of tin foil hat fuck fuck games in this thread is amazing. Vessel issues happen all the fucking time. A couple of years ago, a brand new vessel on the Great Lakes had its steering go out.

My big customer in the Baltimore area was apparently on the phone with the owner of my company about 6am this morning screaming about his freight.

Per the port website, no vessel traffic, of course, but trucks can still go in to pick up containers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:46:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#15]
Sorry, I just jumped in.
What flag for the container ship?
It looked blacked out right before impact as well.

WTF?

Edit: saw a few lights, strobe as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Nope.

The experts in GD have already determined that hackers in Kazakhstan took over the chart plotter and helm controls remotely and steered it into the bridge. Keep up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
Pretty good synopsis of the accident in 30 seconds by the qualified captain on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4-i7SorF0Q/?igsh=MXJrbHFidXU1cWR1OA==

Power loss, recovery, power loss, attempted recovery, too late, collision.

Nope.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#17]
The most likely scenario is another incompetent Italian captain who was busy with his stowaway gumare  (goo-MAAAHD).

For me, it's that until I see hard evidence to the contrary.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:

Yes, and currents are a factor as well.

3 knots of wind against the side of Dali is just under 1,000,000 psi.  Add any possible currents, plus the drag of the props, where the rudder settled at, and sure it's possible across that distance.  It wasn't as abrupt of a turn as that head on angle would indicate, and it didn't go off course very far.

Prayers for all involved.
View Quote

PSI or pounds of force?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

We are at our best when circumstances are worst.

I think you're right.
View Quote
Just call Mammoet and write them a blank check to get the channel clear.

Then government can fuck around for a decade approving a new design, getting bids, getting bribes, getting sued, getting permits, going over budget...buying Chinese bolts...etc..etc..
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:
One has to wonder if, before the strike, the ship radioed ANYONE and declared an emergency due to loss of power or rudder control. One would think they could have or should have but it'll be interesting to see if they actually did.

A post earlier quoted the news as stating they radioed a failure to the Maryland DOT and stated impact with the bridge was possible, someone else said they have a closure system that is used for wind or other events, so it's probably they closed it.  All that was left were the construction crews and anyone else going slow that hadn't made it across potentially.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Halo_is_for_Kids:
It's become clear that p Diddy has orchestrated this bridge collapse to draw attention away from himself.
View Quote

It's as likely as ISIS hacking did this!

This being said, I WISH we could trust our 'institutions' enough to believe their findings without hesitation.  Remember the plane in HI that overshot the runway a few months ago?  Yeah, neither do most of us because the pilot error finding was not PC.

Because a calm weather Baltimore is not a shipping nightmare, the odds here are:

99% mechanical failure or stacking incompetence.
.5% Criminal/Terrorist
.4% P Diddy
.1% Toonces
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Remember.  
Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to incompetence.

It looks like a mechanical failure, not a terrorist attack
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Fence_Post:

PSI or pounds of force?
View Quote
Tomato potato...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SAE:
Sorry, I just jumped in.
What flag for the container ship?
It looked blacked out right before impact as well.

WTF?

Edit: saw a few lights, strobe as well.
View Quote

Singapore. Apparently having power/control issues.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:49:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#25]

PSI or pounds of force?
View All Quotes

3 knots of wind against the side of Dali is just under 1,000,000 psi.  Add any possible currents, plus the drag of the props, where the rudder settled at, and sure it's possible across that distance.  It wasn't as abrupt of a turn as that head on angle would indicate, and it didn't go off course very far.

PSI or pounds of force?

Force, edited.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mach:
Well besides the deaths of the people on the bridge, this is going to have a major economic impact on the NE US

The Port of Baltimore is a major East Coast port and is going to be closed for an extended period of time.

Disruption of oil and fuel supplies and general imported goods just ceased going into and out of Baltimore. Other ships will be stuck in there for a while until the debris can be cleared including the sinking ship. That could take over a year.

Can the Port of Philadelphia  and the Port of NYC, and Norfolk, pick up the slack from the Port of Baltimore being shut down for an extended period of time?
View Quote

Kind of sad how far we have declined since WW2

In WW2 they most likely would have had the port up and running in some capacity within a few weeks at most

Probably would have had a way for the ships trapped  to get out in a few days back then.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

In 2024 the only thing more retarded than automatically assuming everything is nefarious, is automatically assuming it is not.

We ARE at war with Russia.

Just not as much as a bunch of people wish we were. Pretending either of those parties will not escalate to satisfy their goals is obscenely ignorant.

If Russia has good intel that the CIA/western intelligence/Ukranian sock puppet was behind the Crocus City event retaliation is a foregone conclusion.
View Quote

This!  Only the real conspiracy is that it WAS an accident and everyone talking conspiracy are really russian agents trying to prod the US into believing increased capabilities,  those saying its an accident are russian agents trying to sow discontent,  in fact i am the only person on the internet that isnt a russian agent and knows the truth!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Just call Mammoet and write them a blank check to get the channel clear.

Then government can fuck around for a decade approving a new design, getting bids, getting bribes, getting sued, getting permits, going over budget...buying Chinese bolts...etc..etc..
View Quote

We’re all speculating.

Time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:50:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#29]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:

Or people could spend an hour or two on the NTSB's site reading incident reports and see that ships break down all the time. Just rare for the stars to align and hit a bridge. Actually boats hit bridges more commonly than you might imagine. The reports are public knowledge.
View Quote
Yes, they do. So if I did want to use that statistic and means to mask something nefarious that would be one way to do it.  

Americans seem to have a general lack of ability to think outside the box and question things that should be questioned - and believe whatever they say on MSNBC.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Pounds per square inch
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

We're all speculating.

Time will tell.
View Quote
Speculation is for the cause, everything I mentioned has been done before.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Sacrosanct-Potato:

Thats because we are inundated with fucktards that drink the koolaid and would kill us for not taking their poison injections

Start questioning shit
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
It’s almost like people on this site want this to be an intentional act rather than shit happens. It’s embarrassing.

Thats because we are inundated with fucktards that drink the koolaid and would kill us for not taking their poison injections

Start questioning shit

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#33]
No.
View All Quotes

Pounds per square inch
No.

No what.

3 knots is about .5 psi.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#34]
This doesn't look like terrorism to me at all. What I fully expect the ntsb investigation to reveal is a relatively typical chain of events that leads to such disasters. It'll have a lot to do with shoddy maintenance on the ship with a healthy sprinkling of incompetence on top. They're gonna find that the pilots were distracted with their cell phones, that they had a history of minor incidents and retraining events but were always retained because of DEI quotas or some such shit.

Just my hunch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
I know we’re still in recovery and don’t mean to be course with my comment, but I’d like to get my reaction out on day one. Prayers for the people killed and injured in this event.

I think some of you guys are going to be shocked at the speed the channel gets cleared/open and this bridge gets put back up. The piers are already there. Plug in the span and height, build in some improvements over the 60 year old bridge, and get to work. This is where America shines, big construction is what we do. 24 months to get a replacement seems plausible to me, I’ll bet the wheels are already in motion.
View Quote

One pier was hit directly, the others had force loads probably not designed for. I doubt it is a given that those piers can be used again.

The big problem is not the bridge being rebuilt. The big problem is the port is closed,  the bridge debris is in the channel and has to be cleared and the ship is if it isn't already going to be sitting on the bottom.

All that metal and the ship has to be removed.

When the Costa Concordia sank in shallow water it took 1.5 years to move it and cost $2 Billion to do it.

After doing that, then they can start building a new bridge, 1.5 years minimum to rebuild the bridge.

How much of that they can do concurrently I don't know, but they can't build a new bridge with all that metal in the way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 1975:
Usually major bridges have huge circular concrete bollards designed to take the impact of a ship. Did this bridge have them? They look small from a distance but they’re pretty big.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4024_jpeg-3169795.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4025_jpeg-3169796.JPG
View Quote

That concrete bollard would be roughly equlivent to using a IIIA vest to stop a cannon ball.. YES it got in the way, yes it slowed it down, but the weight absolutely penetrated through the vest.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Glad I'm not alone.  I honestly didn't realize just how many tools democrat voters there actually are on this site these days.
View All Quotes

Start questioning shit
Glad I'm not alone.  I honestly didn't realize just how many tools democrat voters there actually are on this site these days.

So if you don’t think this is terrorism then you are a Democrat?

Truly hope the VA gets you back on your meds.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

I could not give a shit either way, but to immediately write other scenarios is kind of stupid. Maybe if .gov didn’t incessantly lie about everything, then maybe people would put more stock in what they say.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
Originally Posted By burkeva:

Wild conspiracy theories does in fact make one so. All the evidence that I have seen - as well as talking to folks in the know at DHS (USCG, CISA, etc) tells me it was mechanical. I’m sure your response to this is to add a third trunk gun to your vehicle load out and more ammo. What’s the plan? Sink the ship before it hit the bridge? LOL

I could not give a shit either way, but to immediately write other scenarios is kind of stupid. Maybe if .gov didn’t incessantly lie about everything, then maybe people would put more stock in what they say.

Yet you are here,  hoping that it was a terror attack.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ScopeScar:
Can anyone give a timestamp where anchors are seen dropping?
View Quote

It sort of looks like a splash at 1:25:35 or thereabouts. It's hard to tell from the video though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, they do. So if I did want to use that statistic and means mask something nefarious and that that would be one way to do it.  

Americans seem to have a general lack of ability to think outside the box and question things that should be questioned - and believe whatever they say on MSNBC.

View Quote
If it hadn't lost power and drove into the pier it would be more suspicious.  Occams razor...horses not zebras...

Like I said it'll be investigated but I'd bet good money there is a bridge recording of the pilot yelling orders when the power drops, general panic and a bunch of "Oh shits".  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#43]

No what.

3 knots is about .5 psi.
View Quote
Yes.

Lots of force, not a lot of PSI. Area is a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Just say a post about someone saying pour sugar in your tank and the car breaks. Ignore that it just made me rememeber

Domino sugars plant is behind the bridge, per a search it does 14% of the nations sugar supply.

Peak sugar, if you use a lot go buy it now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

THose captains are called "pilots" and are STUPIDLY good jobs. like 250k plus IIRC one in ALaska said he got 400k to take fuel tankers inand out of kenai AK.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:58:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crusaderf8u] [#46]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

I don't know that a lot of people here have heard of Occam's Razor or understand it.

The simplest answer here is mechanical failure, incompetence, or a combination of the two. It's almost certainly going to be something like that, once things shake out.

Do I think it's POSSIBLE a crack group of terrorists took the ship without anyone knowing and successfully rammed the bridge with it? Sure, but it's a long way down the list of possible explanations. Far enough down to be dismissed without something concrete to base it on.
View Quote

Hanlons Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Pounds per square inch

Edit: 500,000
View All Quotes

PSI or pounds of force?

Pounds per square inch

Edit: 500,000

Uh…
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bringo:
I couldn't help but think this while watching the ship approach the bridge:

"Back up back up Terry.
PUT IT IN REVERSE TERRY!
WHATCHU WATCHU WATCHU DOIN TERRY?!"

That said, yea this is bad. Incompetence kills. Praying for those that were lost and their families.
View Quote

we can be friends
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I bet they have the port open in two weeks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#50]

That concrete bollard would be roughly equlivent to using a IIIA vest to stop a cannon ball.. YES it got in the way, yes it slowed it down, but the weight absolutely penetrated through the vest.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1975:
Usually major bridges have huge circular concrete bollards designed to take the impact of a ship. Did this bridge have them? They look small from a distance but they're pretty big.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4024_jpeg-3169795.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4025_jpeg-3169796.JPG

Their purpose is to deflect rather than to stop. Most are designed to assume the general direction of traffic and are tapered to nudge vessels back to the channel.

Page / 58
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top