[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Boat fuel can’t melt steel beams .
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

No shit.  The bow is swinging because they're trying to back down, i.e., move in reverse.  Ships and boats are extremely difficult to handle while backing down, especially in an emergency situation with fluctuating power.
View Quote

Pulling water away from the rudder. Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rossi:

Is it possible that it was intentional?

View Quote

A week after "someone that has a history of being handed Libyan weapons while destabilizing Syria to the benefit of France and the US" attacks Russia?

No. It is completely impossible that any foreign state actor could hack a satellite feed and commandeer the 100% computer controlled guidance and propulsion systems of a ship and ram it into a bridge.

That would be just as insane of a statement as saying that the same foreign state actor could or would turn off millions of cell phones across multiple systems, companies, and networks as a cyberattack warning.

Or have anything to do with water treatment plants across the US saying that someone has been playing fuck fuck with power to the plant.

QUIT all the stoopid talk!! Eat your bread and watch the circus!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
I'm suspicious about this - I've watched the video several times.  I'm reminded of airplanes flying into the WTC.

These ships are controlled through GPS and computers - how easy is it to hack the navigation systems?

ETA: I don't think it is out of character for anyone with a brain and knowledge of past terrorism and understanding of how tech is the new way to achieve effective terrorism in the west and especially the US. I mean, it isn't like we ever try to secure our borders and we have an entire administration full of dimwits and halfwits.
View Quote

Anyone saying the key bridge being hit in Baltimore cannot be an attack, knows nothing about the vulnerabilities of cargo ships or they are complicit in a cover up (knowingly or unknowingly).  Ships often use operating technologies that respond to NMEA 0183 unencrypted messages which can control anything from GPS data to engine revs and rudder control. If the lights on the ship went out and it rammed full speed, they may have been trying to reset the power and regain control. This could have also just be evidence of the hackers taking control of even the lighting systems (impeding the crews response to stop the ship by flashing lights). This threat profile has been known since at least 2014/2018/ 2022, since there are free white papers out there in those times alone (not to mention what cleared groups get to see). AIS data shows it sped up and changed course materially to hit the bridge support. (Purple line is original heading just before the bridge).

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm suspicious about this - I've watched the video several times.  I'm reminded of airplanes flying into the WTC.

These ships are controlled through GPS and computers - how easy is it to hack the navigation systems?
View Quote
Imagine your car quits at city street speeds, on a street that is only twice as wide as your car,  the brakes and the steering disconnect.  You instantly become a passenger.

If you hit something before coasting to a stop would your first thought be terrorism?

It'll be investigated. But I highly doubt it.  

Better thought is look at the age of the ship, it's last major overhaul, record of similar incidence and competency of the crew.

Most shippers run these boats hard and into the ground.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven’t read through everything, but my wife is a retired O5 from the Coast Guard who spent a lot of time investigating incidents like this. She said it looks like the boat lost electrical power, possibly dropped anchor as a precaution and either lost steering with the rudder cranked hard right, or the anchor dragging turned it. Either was it was a massive, likely unexpected turn. The billowing smoke was almost positively a reverse engine attempt to stop something that wasn’t going to stop.

She gives it a pretty low probability of being intentional, but there is always the chance. As she said, ‘incompetence and shoddy maintenance is generally the culprit.’

Like a typical Arfcommer, I immediately jumped to it looks intentional, but her explanation probably fits a lot better.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:

Rated out of
View Quote
This is the sort of mentality that collectively makes us a country ripe for the taking - complacency and arrogance and inability to think outside the box like our enemies actually do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
It’s almost like people on this site want this to be an intentional act rather than shit happens. It’s embarrassing.
View Quote

Thats because we are inundated with fucktards that drink the koolaid and would kill us for not taking their poison injections

Start questioning shit
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

The ship dropped anchor trying to stop. Looks accidental to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Damn, this is not going to be good. Not an engineer, but that seems like a poor bridge design.
View Quote

Kind of hard to build for something that big hitting it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:28:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pavil58ar] [#12]
Small consolation to those affected but at least she is not on fire and appears to still be afloat.

edit 1:  I've a question and not wanting to add to the useless posts I'll ask here.

Is there any chance that when the tugs finished their job the ship had power for lighting but she was not actually turning the prop? Just drifting?  Say a generator running off of a different, auxiliary engine while the main engine was idled? Is that even a possible scenario? The black smoke and lighting going on and off just prior to the crash indicative of the crew trying to get everything running correctly?

edit 2:  It was a Windows update.  'Update and Restart'
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Isn’t that FJB’s hometown? Maybe he was in a motorcade at that moment! 😛
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
If anyone wants insight from actual commercial shipping captains and crew, check out the gCaptain forums...
View Quote

Thank you.

That is a bit of useful information.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sacrosanct-Potato:

Thats because we are inundated with fucktards that drink the koolaid and would kill us for not taking their poison injections

Start questioning shit
View Quote
Glad I'm not alone.  I honestly didn't realize just how many tools democrat voters there actually are on this site these days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#16]
It’s almost like people on this site want this to be an intentional act rather than shit happens. It’s embarrassing.
View Quote

In 2024 the only thing more retarded than automatically assuming everything is nefarious, is automatically assuming it is not.

We ARE at war with Russia.

Just not as much as a bunch of people wish we were. Pretending either of those parties will not escalate to satisfy their goals is obscenely ignorant.

If Russia has good intel that the CIA/western intelligence/Ukranian sock puppet was behind the Crocus City event retaliation is a foregone conclusion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

What wind?  Video shows calm water and previous poster showed table with zero wind.
View Quote

Tide comes in, tide goes out.  You can’t explain that
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Spitballing shit on this site is fun and has zero real life consequences. Plus, we all know the moon landing was fake, Michelle Obama is actually a man and chemtails change the weather.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Interesting:

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1772546230310056446
View Quote

That is interesting. Kind of a crazy spot to lose power; talk about bad timing!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#20]
It's become clear that p Diddy has orchestrated this bridge collapse to draw attention away from himself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:31:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobra-Commander] [#21]
This is the sort of mentality that collectively makes us a country ripe for the taking - complacency and arrogance and inability to think outside the box like our enemies actually do.
View Quote

Nevermind, you won’t be convinced that it is anything other than your conspiracy theory.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By burkeva:

Wild conspiracy theories does in fact make one so. All the evidence that I have seen - as well as talking to folks in the know at DHS (USCG, CISA, etc) tells me it was mechanical. I’m sure your response to this is to add a third trunk gun to your vehicle load out and more ammo. What’s the plan? Sink the ship before it hit the bridge? LOL
View Quote

I could not give a shit either way, but to immediately write other scenarios is kind of stupid. Maybe if .gov didn’t incessantly lie about everything, then maybe people would put more stock in what they say.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By kbi:

@RealityCheck0311

Gonna have to take the long way around the northern of Baltimore past Towson now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
That's insane. I thought just a small part collapsed, this is catastrophic.

It's going to be years before they remove the old bridge and build a new one.

All of the shipping lanes will be cut off in that harbor.

What about Hazmat? You can't transport it through enclosed tunnels, the bridge was the only route.

@RealityCheck0311

Gonna have to take the long way around the northern of Baltimore past Towson now

I would bet the DOT makes an exception and allows hazmat to use say the 895 tunnel but not the 95 tunnel. They may limit it to times say 6 pm to 6am, but I cant see them wanting all the hazmat to drive all the around the beltway.

@RealityCheck0311
@kbi
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
There it is. The ship drifts right without power and tries to recover before losing power again. Too late one power is restored at the end.
View Quote

The good thing is that traffic on that section of bridge that fell seemed to be zero unlike earlier in the clip.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

I like when there's a "possible active shooter" thread and a bunch of people say it's 100% a US government authorized mass shooting to stop a pro-gun bill from being passed.

But then it turns out to just be an estranged husband popping his wife in her work parking lot, or somebody heard a car backfire.
View Quote

Or an acorn
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:

After seeing that footage, it looks almost intentional.
View Quote
As a lifelong boater...I don't see how anyone can deduce that based on the video. It's apparent the ship lost power and was trying to recover.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Sacrosanct-Potato:

Start questioning shit
View Quote

Or people could spend an hour or two on the NTSB’s site reading incident reports and see that ships break down all the time. Just rare for the stars to align and hit a bridge. Actually boats hit bridges more commonly than you might imagine. The reports are public knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
I assume Baltimore harbor uses pilots and this couldn’t be some Chicom kicking things off? I hope… that’s a 10’s of billions of dollars even right there.

I wonder if the nav/engine/stearing system was hacked… there is no fucking way this happens by accident.
View Quote

This fucking place.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Bridge was 185ft high

Pilot channel I think bybthe chart is 51 feet

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77256/Screenshot_20240326_051501_Chrome_jpg-3169725.JPG

It's gonna be blocked for a long time as they investigate and get whatever they need to clear the debris

I feel bad fkr the people who use to commute each side for work whether a short trip or not

There were pedestrian lanes I remember seeing

View Quote

There is not walkways across that bridge, vehicles only.

Yes its gonna mess with traffic, there is a way to get from 695 thru the neighborhoods and the port to the 895 tunnel. It already sucked driving that way but its ginna get worse.
@kbi
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#31]
One certainty.

The replacement bridge will NOT be named after the racist white devil who wrote the anthem of opression!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:35:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#32]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:

View All Quotes

and failure sequences can be planned especially when computers that control automation can be hacked and/or controlled remotely.

Anyone remember how we hacked Iran's centrifuges? I can tell you that was but one of hundreds of attacks on infrastructure that can be made to look like an "accident".

Anyone recall the Nord Stream pipeline? Probably none of the many brain-trusts on this site.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#33]

There it is. The ship drifts right without power and tries to recover before losing power again. Too late one power is restored at the end.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

That sped up video clearly shows them trying to turn away from the bridge at the very end.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:

I know large ships once they come in off of the oceans from other countries, certified captains have to take over the helm once they hit us Waters to navigate through the rivers and lakes.
View Quote

THose captains are called "pilots" and are STUPIDLY good jobs. like 250k plus IIRC one in ALaska said he got 400k to take fuel tankers inand out of kenai AK.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Holy shit.  That’s not supposed to happen!

So what do we think- competency crisis, failing infrastructure issues, or both?  I am voting both…
View Quote

Where is the poll?  Im voting DEI hire
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:36:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#36]
Well besides the deaths of the people on the bridge, this is going to have a major economic impact on the NE US

The Port of Baltimore is a major East Coast port and is going to be closed for an extended period of time.

Disruption of oil and fuel supplies and general imported goods just ceased going into and out of Baltimore. Other ships will be stuck in there for a while until the debris can be cleared including the sinking ship. That could take over a year.

Can the Port of Philadelphia  and the Port of NYC, and Norfolk, pick up the slack from the Port of Baltimore being shut down for an extended period of time?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By wisbiker67:
Just a question, does the USN use that harbor?
View Quote

There are some standby merchant marine ships in the harbor, they are not going anywhere obviously. @wisbiker67
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#38]
R.I.P.to the missing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Can anyone give a timestamp where anchors are seen dropping?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

In 2024 the only thing more retarded than automatically assuming everything is nefarious, is automatically assuming it is not.

We ARE at war with Russia.

Just not as much as a bunch of people wish we were. Pretending either of those parties will not escalate to satisfy their goals is obscenely ignorant.

If Russia has good intel that the CIA/western intelligence/Ukranian sock puppet was behind the Crocus City event retaliation is a foregone conclusion.
View Quote

Our own government is a far greater threat to our country than any foreign country.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Pretty good synopsis of the accident in 30 seconds by the qualified captain on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4-i7SorF0Q/?igsh=MXJrbHFidXU1cWR1OA==

Power loss, recovery, power loss, attempted recovery, too late, collision.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Thugsy:
Anyone driving an electric car is fucked even if they survived the fall.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:38:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#43]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
A ship that size takes miles to stop but a 3 knot crosswind can blow it that far off course that quickly?
View Quote

Yes, and currents are a factor as well.

3 knots of wind against the side of Dali is just under 500,000 pounds of force.  Add any possible currents, plus the drag of the props, where the rudder settled at, and sure it's possible across that distance.  It wasn't as abrupt of a turn as that head on angle would indicate, and it didn't go off course very far.

Prayers for all involved.

Edited for correctness.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Interesting:

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1772546230310056446
View Quote

It's a bit interesting that during the first power failure the nav lights go out, and during the second they don't. I haven't shipped out in twenty years, but as I remember it (as a deck officer), the nav lights were DC.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By burkeva:

Anything is possible.  If you want to go down that path then lets ask ourselves the following?

Why was this ship targeted?
Why was this bridge targeted?
Why was that specific time and date chosen?
Why was this waterway / port targeted?
If this was a nefarious plot executed via remote control take over of the vessel then why not do it multiple times simultaneously?
Bigger bang for the buck is to do this at the Panama Canal or Suez Canal.
Why not target the GW bridge in NY or the Verrazano Bridge - much bigger pay off.

View Quote

Because terrorists love to make statements so they attacked an empty bridge at 2AM named after the man that wrote our national anthem. Duh, fucking dummy. It’s symbolic!

/sarcasm.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I know we’re still in recovery and don’t mean to be course with my comment, but I’d like to get my reaction out on day one. Prayers for the people killed and injured in this event.

I think some of you guys are going to be shocked at the speed the channel gets cleared/open and this bridge gets put back up. The piers are already there. Plug in the span and height, build in some improvements over the 60 year old bridge, and get to work. This is where America shines, big construction is what we do. 24 months to get a replacement seems plausible to me, I’ll bet the wheels are already in motion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I couldn't help but think this while watching the ship approach the bridge:

"Back up back up Terry.
PUT IT IN REVERSE TERRY!
WHATCHU WATCHU WATCHU DOIN TERRY?!"

That said, yea this is bad. Incompetence kills. Praying for those that were lost and their families.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Or people could spend an hour or two on the NTSB's site reading incident reports and see that ships break down all the time. Just rare for the stars to align and hit a bridge. Actually boats hit bridges more commonly than you might imagine. The reports are public knowledge.
View Quote
Ships hit shit all the time.  It's the size of a skyscraper, has one engine, and is crewed by people usually not making a ton of money, run by a company owned by another company, that is part of a shell company, it's flagged out of some tiny shithole that doesn't have safety standards and hasn't had a major overhaul in 2 decades.

A lot the ocean shipping world is sketchy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:41:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#49]
I'm sorry OP.

Will be rating your thread as Troll for all the 'tards who have shown up.

You couldn't have known.  

EDIT: Spell check is tarded.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I know we’re still in recovery and don’t mean to be course with my comment, but I’d like to get my reaction out on day one. Prayers for the people killed and injured in this event.

I think some of you guys are going to be shocked at the speed the channel gets cleared/open and this bridge gets put back up. The piers are already there. Plug in the span and height, build in some improvements over the 60 year old bridge, and get to work. This is where America shines, big construction is what we do. 24 months to get a replacement seems plausible to me, I’ll bet the wheels are already in motion.
View Quote

No doubt there are engineers working on a new design as we speak.
Page / 58
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top