Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 58
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The wind sail effect on a ship is real. IIRC, that was a prime cause of the Ever Given incident that blocked the Suez canal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By burkeva:

Wild conspiracy theories does in fact make one so. All the evidence that I have seen - as well as talking to folks in the know at DHS (USCG, CISA, etc) tells me it was mechanical. I’m sure your response to this is to add a third trunk gun to your vehicle and more ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
The conspiracy tards are strong in this thread. The ship had a complete  loss of power and the winds / currents / momentum took the vessel into the bridge.  How sad and lonely some of you must be to see terrorism or a complex government run plot every time something bad happens.

We do not know yet. As such, it could be mechanical failure, or could be something nefarious. I would think claiming to know exactly what happened when you do not is being a tard.

Wild conspiracy theories does in fact make one so. All the evidence that I have seen - as well as talking to folks in the know at DHS (USCG, CISA, etc) tells me it was mechanical. I’m sure your response to this is to add a third trunk gun to your vehicle and more ammo.

Can mechanical failure not be due to maleficence?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s horrible.  Prayers for the victims.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

View Quote
Almost always...but poor maintenance doesn't mean it was intentional.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Holy shit.  That’s not supposed to happen!

So what do we think- competency crisis, failing infrastructure issues, or both?  I am voting both…
View Quote

Is it possible that it was intentional?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SuperCracker:

It's the same group that think Trump is the greatest thing ever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperCracker:
Originally Posted By 2009lockedOUT:
Sad how many folks will be disappointed this wasn’t an act of terrorism.

It's the same group that think Trump is the greatest thing ever.

And that’s a flat out retarded statement.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:

That is very telling.
View Quote

Lights come back on, engine speed increases, ship begins to steer towards pier/column.

I know less than jack shit about ships. Possibly stuck rudder or position wasn’t changed when the rapid increase of engine speed occurred.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

How many container ships go into and out of US ports just like this one everyday?  Hundreds, right?  Yet this happens very rarely.  So rarely, all of us are kind of shocked by the whole thing.  

That something empirically shown to be this rare, is happening now, at a time of rising international and domestic tensions, is what's making people suspect an intentional act vs just another example of shit falling apart lately.
View Quote

Yep. I think things work so well in our world, we expect them to function as designed. When they don’t, it takes a lot for us to believe the system failed.

It’s easier (in today’s world) to believe mal intent is responsible rather than systemic failure.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By xd341:
View All Quotes

accident, negligence, corporate sabotage, criminal sabotage, state or non-state sabotage are all possibilities.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Little tinfoil and speculation...but if the ship was hacked, can't imagine more than knowing the speed and current to time the power outage to make this an act of terror. What would stop it once power and control was lost?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
A few quick comments:

This will have a measurable effect on the inflation rate as I-95 traffic will be affected for years. Port capacity is also tight on both coasts and losing Baltimore won’t help. This is not just a local event.

The bridge might have been shut down moments before the crash. There are signs and warning lights on both ends which can partially close the bridge when there are high winds.

Rebuilding in Maryland is expensive since there is a 50 percent corruption tax on all public works.

The bridge was built on the approximate site of the British fleet’s anchorage on the night of September 13, 1814.
View Quote

What will happen with all the dock workers who won't be working for a while? Will they be able to work at other docks elsewhere or do they collect unemployment?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#12]
What a colossal fuckup. This is going to be an absolute nightmare for the government, but fear not, Mayor Pete to the rescue!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: burkeva] [#13]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
The conspiracy tards are strong in this thread. The ship had a complete  loss of power and the winds / currents / momentum took the vessel into the bridge.  How sad and lonely some of you must be to see terrorism or a complex government run plot every time something bad happens.

We do not know yet. As such, it could be mechanical failure, or could be something nefarious. I would think claiming to know exactly what happened when you do not is being a tard.

Anything is possible.  If you want to go down that path then lets ask ourselves the following?

Why was this ship targeted?
Why was this bridge targeted?
Why was that specific time and date chosen?
Why was this waterway / port targeted?
If this was a nefarious plot executed via remote control take over of the vessel then why not do it multiple times simultaneously?
Bigger bang for the buck is to do this at the Panama Canal or Suez Canal.
Why not target the GW bridge in NY or the Verrazano Bridge - much bigger pay off.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
It’s almost like people on this site want this to be an intentional act rather than shit happens. It’s embarrassing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
My thoughts exactly as I logged in to Arf.

Going to be a lot more than 7 victims.

Have the "It's a bridge in Ukraine morons apologized yet"?
View Quote

Definitely more but I’m sure they’re already reviewing traffic cam footage to see how many cars were crossing the bridge when it happened. Doesn’t look like too many considering it was 2am. If it was 8am during stop and go traffic it would be in the hundreds
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Fence_Post:

Lights come back on, engine speed increases, ship begins to steer towards pier/column.

I know less than jack shit about ships. Possibly stuck rudder or position wasn’t changed when the rapid increase of engine speed occurred.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:

That is very telling.

I think the anchor that was dropped is why the ship veered when it was coming back online
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:10:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobra-Commander] [#17]
Originally Posted By Hoji:
Any word on if there are survivors in the water?( or pulled out of the water)
View Quote

Water temps in the low 40’s pretty much means anyone who wasn’t pulled out in about an hour probably succumbed to hypothermia.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
It’s almost like people on this site want this to be an intentional act rather than shit happens. It’s embarrassing.
View Quote

It's a reflection of the times we are living in. I do wonder tho, how many terrorist types just got an idea.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

What are the currents like in those waters?
View Quote

Low tide was at 210 AM so it would have been mostly slack. High tide is now, which means there’s been an outgoing tide for 7 hours… going to make recovery of everything difficult but they’ll be pulling sonar for months
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#20]
They keep saying 2 rescued

There was originally 20+ construction workers on the bridge + vehicle traffic

Its a recovery operation but all the news wants to have something upbeat to tell
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Ships losing propulsion or steering is not uncommon at all.  Lots of videos out there of cargo ships hitting things, one took out 3 container cranes like 2 weeks ago in Singapore maybe?  South Asia somewhere, folded them up like they were rubber.

Hitting other ships, shore, piers...all the time.  Barges on rivers have taken bridges in this country, causing trains to derail.  Killing dozens.

This is spectacular due to scale and the fact that it's on video, but it's not entirely rare.
View All Quotes

How many container ships go into and out of US ports just like this one everyday?  Hundreds, right?  Yet this happens very rarely.  So rarely, all of us are kind of shocked by the whole thing.  

That something empirically shown to be this rare, is happening now, at a time of rising international and domestic tensions, is what's making people suspect an intentional act vs just another example of shit falling apart lately.
Ships losing propulsion or steering is not uncommon at all.  Lots of videos out there of cargo ships hitting things, one took out 3 container cranes like 2 weeks ago in Singapore maybe?  South Asia somewhere, folded them up like they were rubber.

Hitting other ships, shore, piers...all the time.  Barges on rivers have taken bridges in this country, causing trains to derail.  Killing dozens.

This is spectacular due to scale and the fact that it's on video, but it's not entirely rare.

This. There's a good reason that ships are fitted with Not Under Command lights. Shit happens.

I can't see in the videos posted if they were lit on this ship. Red over red.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:13:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#22]

I know less than jack shit about ships. Possibly stuck rudder or position wasn't changed when the rapid increase of engine speed occurred.
View Quote
Looks like heavy throttle but we can't say if it was forward or astern.  The turn might have been due to a dropped anchor, which is pretty much the only thing you can do when you lose power, the anchor can be dropped manually.  Based on knowledgeable statements here it's sounds like having crew standing by the anchor is a standard watch during port transits.

I think most ships have a black box on the bridge and in port radio traffic was recorded.  So we'll eventually hear everything that happened.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Whatever "it" turns out to be,  the .gov knew about it.
View Quote

jfc
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#25]
A ship that size takes miles to stop but a 3 knot crosswind can blow it that far off course that quickly?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Ayup.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:
Longer video that shows the "before." Certainly seems that it steered right into the support column. Bridge went down immediately.

link

View Quote

That did not look unintentional or an equipment malfunction.  She showed she had at least some steering and the smoke says she was powered up.  What's Singapore got against us?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AmishElectrician:
They keep saying 2 rescued

There was originally 20+ construction workers on the bridge + vehicle traffic

Its a recovery operation but all the news wants to have something upbeat to tell
View Quote

They want to keep the peasants tuned in to their tubes while they ‘search for survivors’ in 40 degree water 8 hours after the incident
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#30]
The short bus stopped and unloaded all of its passengers in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:18:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#31]
I'm suspicious about this - I've watched the video several times.  I'm reminded of airplanes flying into the WTC.

These ships are controlled through GPS and computers - how easy is it to hack the navigation systems?

ETA: I don't think it is out of character for anyone with a brain and knowledge of past terrorism and understanding of how tech is the new way to achieve effective terrorism in the west and especially the US. I mean, it isn't like we ever try to secure our borders and we have an entire administration full of dimwits and halfwits.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

View Quote

There it is. The ship drifts right without power and tries to recover before losing power again. Too late one power is restored at the end.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
View Quote

And we're only on page 11.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By cool-e:
One reason is money:  pilots make a shit load of money.  The other is Port Commissions/Commissioners such as the liberal POS on the Port of Houston Authority that told the Houston Pilots to hire more black pilots.  When it was pointed out that no qualified black candidates applied, he told them to go find some.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cool-e:
Originally Posted By This_Is_Necessary:

One reason is money:  pilots make a shit load of money.  The other is Port Commissions/Commissioners such as the liberal POS on the Port of Houston Authority that told the Houston Pilots to hire more black pilots.  When it was pointed out that no qualified black candidates applied, he told them to go find some.

My old roommate at Ft. Schuyler is black and a harbor pilot. I'd bet he's a damn good one. By and large the women I graduated with were all very solid as well. The process to get to those positions weeds out the incompetent.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I like when there's a "possible active shooter" thread and a bunch of people say it's 100% a US government authorized mass shooting to stop a pro-gun bill from being passed.

But then it turns out to just be an estranged husband popping his wife in her work parking lot, or somebody heard a car backfire.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Yep. I think things work so well in our world, we expect them to function as designed. When they don’t, it takes a lot for us to believe the system failed.

It’s easier (in today’s world) to believe mal intent is responsible rather than systemic failure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

And after 9/11 it's not difficult to believe that bad actors would ram stuff with whatever they can.

Also, after seeing how it's not difficult for pirates to take over a ship, just add 1 + 1

Do ships have any kind of safeguards that would prevent someone from steering it against an obstacle?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
View Quote

This thread has the possibility to bring out even more retards than a plane crash thread. Who knew printer repairmen were experts in all things transportation?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
I'm suspicious about this - I've watched the video several times.  I'm reminded of airplanes flying into the WTC.

These ships are controlled through GPS and computers - how easy is it to hack the navigation systems?
View Quote

Rated out of
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Or how it can’t be tied back to Trump.

Where there MAGA hats in the containers?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:

That did not look unintentional or an equipment malfunction.  
View Quote

It did to a degree.  You can tell something was going on with the lights/power levels.  If power failed as they were rounding a corner without tugs, inertia would have taken over.  

If it just mushed into a mud bank, it would only have been a photo op.  The timing was catastrophic.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By VTD:
3 knots of wind will push a cargo ship that much?
View Quote

3 knots of wind has pushed a lot of ships across a lot of ocean, I reckon.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

No shit.  The bow is swinging because they're trying to back down, i.e., move in reverse.  Ships and boats are extremely difficult to handle while backing down, especially in an emergency situation with fluctuating power.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:
Longer video that shows the "before." Certainly seems that it steered right into the support column. Bridge went down immediately.

link

View Quote

After seeing that footage, it looks almost intentional.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By dino1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dino1:

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TEXASROOTERSBROTHER] [#46]
Originally Posted By Jimmmy1111:
I use that bridge every day now my ride from work is fucked now
View Quote

You can add that to the laundry list of Fuckings you take in Maryland.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

Why do you have an infant in your car at 2 am?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Southernman077:

You and your child get to die together.

Why do you have an infant in your car at 2 am?
Not saying it makes it better but

At 2am it would be mostly barhoppers and workers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Curious what path the will take to get the waterway opened quickly; crane out the wreckage or blast? Assuming they will want the wreckage as intact as possible for investigation
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#50]

What wind?  Video shows calm water and previous poster showed table with zero wind.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Winds and currents are real.

What wind?  Video shows calm water and previous poster showed table with zero wind.

Jeebus.
Ignore "currents" to be right.

Another post showed 5 knot winds.
Point is, we have no definitive answers at this moment yet people are sure it must be purposeful.

I like a good conspiracy, but jeez some around here seem to live for them.
Page / 58
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top