BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 58
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VTD:
3 knots of wind will push a cargo ship that much?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VTD:
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

JFC its wind guys. Wind. On a ship that large it is effectively a sail boat.
3 knots of wind will push a cargo ship that much?

No.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:41:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#2]
Originally Posted By livfreely:
Do we know the depth of the water there
View Quote

50 feet is what they said at the conference when asked.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
That is awful. Definitely nightmare stuff right there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
news said 50'
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
A few quick comments:

This will have a measurable effect on the inflation rate as I-95 traffic will be affected for years. Port capacity is also tight on both coasts and losing Baltimore won’t help. This is not just a local event.

The bridge might have been shut down moments before the crash. There are signs and warning lights on both ends which can partially close the bridge when there are high winds.

Rebuilding in Maryland is expensive since there is a 50 percent corruption tax on all public works.

The bridge was built on the approximate site of the British fleet’s anchorage on the night of September 13, 1814.

View Quote

The radio chatter out of Port Canaveral right now has everybody talking about how busy things are going to get, and whether the Port can handle it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

I’ll go out on a limb and say that’s all they find.

Horrible.
View Quote

Water Temps in the 40s. I wouldn't get high hopes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:

This website has shown me how many people on the “right” lack critical thinking skills and have extreme levels of delusion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
Originally Posted By derwood67:
I thought the left were the experts at making things fit a narrative, but the level of tin-foil hat wearing keyboard commandos here who seem to REALLY WANT this to be terrorism is pretty disgusting.

This website has shown me how many people on the “right” lack critical thinking skills and have extreme levels of delusion.

I don't know that a lot of people here have heard of Occam's Razor or understand it.

The simplest answer here is mechanical failure, incompetence, or a combination of the two. It's almost certainly going to be something like that, once things shake out.

Do I think it's POSSIBLE a crack group of terrorists took the ship without anyone knowing and successfully rammed the bridge with it? Sure, but it's a long way down the list of possible explanations. Far enough down to be dismissed without something concrete to base it on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Vonbongo:

You forgot pitch dark as well.
View Quote
Yeah...impossible baring divine intervention. Just horrifying.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Buzz69:

Not really, especially for a police marine unit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buzz69:
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
3 tug boats all with last name McAlister and a LEO boat called Marine 1. Interesting names.

Not really, especially for a police marine unit.

And for one of the largest tug companies in the country.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
A few quick comments:

This will have a measurable effect on the inflation rate as I-95 traffic will be affected for years. Port capacity is also tight on both coasts and losing Baltimore won’t help. This is not just a local event.

The bridge might have been shut down moments before the crash. There are signs and warning lights on both ends which can partially close the bridge when there are high winds.

Rebuilding in Maryland is expensive since there is a 50 percent corruption tax on all public works.

The bridge was built on the approximate site of the British fleet’s anchorage on the night of September 13, 1814.

View Quote

Fuck. Running the I-95 Corridor I could make $2500 a day on just a barely 200 mile run. Could even make $5k except for the Chesapeake Bay skinny bridge, they wouldn't let an empty trailer run across, as any sort of wind means going over the side into the bay.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:45:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#12]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:

A solid lock on the stupid and inappropriate post of the day prize.

Good job.

View Quote

See you haven't read my previous posts.  Also this administration refuses to fund disasters here in the US, hence the post.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Usually major bridges have huge circular concrete bollards designed to take the impact of a ship. Did this bridge have them? They look small from a distance but they’re pretty big.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Terrorists go for big headlines with flashy attacks and mass casulties..

This is the profile of an incapacitated crew unless theres another layer to it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hoji:
Any word on if there are survivors in the water?( or pulled out of the water)
View Quote
If you believe the TV, two critically injured taken out of the water. 7 confirmed missing.  But probably more will be listed once the construction companies take roll call.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Sad how many folks will be disappointed this wasn’t an act of terrorism.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Only example I have is 9/11

And everyone immediately speculated it was terrorism while it was happening.

I'm inclined to believe it was an accident
View Quote

If it was terrorism, you'd do it with the bridge maxed out during rush hour.

My thought is this is incompetence, not terrorism.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn. Imagine being on that bridge when that happened

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By derwood67:
I thought the left were the experts at making things fit a narrative, but the level of tin-foil hat wearing keyboard commandos here who seem to REALLY WANT this to be terrorism is pretty disgusting.
View Quote
Yup, bunch of broken brains on both sides.

RIP to the victims and their families. Thankful this didn't happen during rush hour.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 2009lockedOUT:
Sad how many folks will be disappointed this wasn’t an act of terrorism.
View Quote

It's the same group that think Trump is the greatest thing ever.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 1975:
Usually major bridges have huge circular concrete bollards designed to take the impact of a ship. Did this bridge have them? They look small from a distance but they’re pretty big.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4024_jpeg-3169795.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4025_jpeg-3169796.JPG
View Quote

It looked like it had them but possible the ship hit it at a slight angle.

Not sure though
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Prime:

View Quote

In the video in that first tweet you can see the tug Eric McCallister do a U turn at the same time the ship lost power, I'm sure it's because Dali got on the horn that they lost power.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:49:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#25]

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:50:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CyberSEAL] [#26]
View Quote
Looks like 50-ish feet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:

You and your child get to die together.
View Quote

Why do you have an infant in your car at 2 am?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]
The conspiracy tards are strong in this thread. The ship had a complete  loss of power and the winds / currents / momentum took the vessel into the bridge.  How sad and lonely some of you must be to see terrorism or a complex government run plot every time something bad happens.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Snozberry:
Terrorists go for big headlines with flashy attacks and mass casulties..

This is the profile of an incapacitated crew unless theres another layer to it.
View Quote

Is it at all possible for the ships navigation to be hacked and rendered inoperable or remotely controlled?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn.....that is nightmare fuel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Winds and currents are real.
View Quote

What wind?  Video shows calm water and previous poster showed table with zero wind.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By burkeva:
The conspiracy tards are strong in this thread. The ship had a complete  loss of power and the winds / currents / momentum took the vessel into the bridge.  How sad and lonely some of you must be to see terrorism or a complex government run plot every time something bad happens.
View Quote

We do not know yet. As such, it could be mechanical failure, or could be something nefarious. I would think claiming to know exactly what happened when you do not is being a tard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:

Not sure though
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JamesJones:
Originally Posted By 1975:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4024_jpeg-3169795.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4025_jpeg-3169796.JPG

Not sure though

Will be interesting to know. I’m not seeing any from the aerial footage on TV.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn the bridge I go over a lot gets hit by barges all the time

I guess thats a bit different and a ton more weight and energy though
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Why would women do this
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I just spoke with my brother who just retired as a Houston Pilot.  He spoke with a few other pilots and they said the same thing:  the most common time that ships have mechanical issues is when first getting under way.  Whether a ship has been offshore at anchor waiting to come into port or been at a dock and sails, it is the most likely time for some issue to come up such as a loss of engine power or steering.  There is at least one report that two pilots were on the ship, which is very common if the ship is a certain size or the nature of the ship creates restricted visibility.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#38]
If anyone wants insight from actual commercial shipping captains and crew, check out the gCaptain forums...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Click on date for video.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Marie:
Well, fuck, was that news to wake up to. I have a major customer with many shipments into Baltimore.

Scary as fuck. Those poor people

View Quote
My thoughts exactly as I logged in to Arf.

Going to be a lot more than 7 victims.

Have the "It's a bridge in Ukraine morons apologized yet"?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

How many container ships go into and out of US ports just like this one everyday?  Hundreds, right?  Yet this happens very rarely.  So rarely, all of us are kind of shocked by the whole thing.  

That something empirically shown to be this rare, is happening now, at a time of rising international and domestic tensions, is what's making people suspect an intentional act vs just another example of shit falling apart lately.
View Quote
Ships losing propulsion or steering is not uncommon at all.  Lots of videos out there of cargo ships hitting things, one took out 3 container cranes like 2 weeks ago in Singapore maybe?  South Asia somewhere, folded them up like they were rubber.

Hitting other ships, shore, piers...all the time.  Barges on rivers have taken bridges in this country, causing trains to derail.  Killing dozens.

This is spectacular due to scale and the fact that it's on video, but it's not entirely rare.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Watching the video it appears traffic might have been stopped from entering the bridge just before the impact.  There is a pretty noticable flow of traffic that stops completely.  If so, that certainly saved some lives.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

I watched it live. Plenty of news reports were saying it might be terrorist before second tower was hit.

For them to declare it isn't this quick means the pilots on board have already gave them the run down.

This ship has a history of ramming ports and hiring shit captains. I imagine Singaporean maintenance maybe isn't up to snuff as well.
View Quote

That doesn’t mean anything.  
Not until the NTSB does their complete investigation     And the harbor pilot should have been the one steering and giving commands.   Not some lousy captain.  

Whatever the fib, wh, or msm says at this point is all conjecture or worse (deflection)
Does anyone honestly think the Drive by media would report a story about a terrorist act if it were?  And torpedo bidens presidency, and thereby guarantee trumps election ?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By This_Is_Necessary:

View Quote
One reason is money:  pilots make a shit load of money.  The other is Port Commissions/Commissioners such as the liberal POS on the Port of Houston Authority that told the Houston Pilots to hire more black pilots.  When it was pointed out that no qualified black candidates applied, he told them to go find some.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:
Yes. Think of the area that 3 knots is pushing on.
View Quote

What are the currents like in those waters?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

View Quote

That is very telling.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By rgaper:
Watching the video it appears traffic might have been stopped from entering the bridge just before the impact.  There is a pretty noticable flow of traffic that stops completely.  If so, that certainly saved some lives.
View Quote

I noticed that as well. The construction workers saw this coming and quickly stopped traffic. God bless them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
Looks like 50-osh feet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61581/1000000329_jpg-3169808.JPG
View Quote

Wow!  That appears to be the only navigable section of the Bay as well.  

Better hope the ship doesn’t sink
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:02:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: burkeva] [#49]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

We do not know yet. As such, it could be mechanical failure, or could be something nefarious. I would think claiming to know exactly what happened when you do not is being a tard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
Originally Posted By burkeva:

Wild conspiracy theories does in fact make one so. All the evidence that I have seen - as well as talking to folks in the know at DHS (USCG, CISA, etc) tells me it was mechanical. I’m sure your response to this is to add a third trunk gun to your vehicle load out and more ammo. What’s the plan? Sink the ship before it hit the bridge? LOL
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:03:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#50]
Did the ships horn blow like hell???

For the comments about wind an current... You can that there is almost no wind in the video.  Also Baltimore, has minimal tides 2 feet would be an extreme lunar tide for them.  Point being, it's easy stuff for even a basic crew with a healthy craft much less one of a container ship with a pilot.  

EDIT: Looks like a temporary power loss!  The belched smoke appears to be when they got it back on!

I'm just going to shut up and hope the experts are trustworthy on this.  That power loss was too short, perhaps they were attempting to 'reboot' systems.
Page / 58
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top