User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If there is evidence that that level of spying is happening then it needs to be clearly presented.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the concern is real. You have an app that gains access to the camera, mic, location services, and requires users to enter their personal info. All this data can be accessed by the Chinese govt. How many company executives, politicians, engineers, military personal, and scientists have kids in close proximity with that app on their phones. Think about the intel you can gain by hearing, seeing, and knowing their location whenever you want.

If there is evidence that that level of spying is happening then it needs to be clearly presented.

It’s been presented. Since the beginning of smart phones. Lots of stuff disguised as app data collection is really surveillance. Most of it is used to target ads for the user but it is very easy to use the data collected for spying.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It’s been presented. Since the beginning of smart phones. Lots of stuff disguised as app data collection is really surveillance. Most of it is used to target ads for the user but it is very easy to use the data collected for spying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the concern is real. You have an app that gains access to the camera, mic, location services, and requires users to enter their personal info. All this data can be accessed by the Chinese govt. How many company executives, politicians, engineers, military personal, and scientists have kids in close proximity with that app on their phones. Think about the intel you can gain by hearing, seeing, and knowing their location whenever you want.

I should be more clear: The administration needs to explicitly explain why tictok is an immediate threat beyond "china is spying," and try to get that message out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Except they don’t have access to that info “whenever they want.”

If you are making a tik tok things like cameras and mics are on (obviously)

If you spend more than 3 seconds setting up privacy on your phone tik tok nor any other app should be able to start using location services when it’s not being used. Tiktok doesn’t even use location services when you are actively using it.

Unlike things like Facebook.
View Quote

Wow.  You are alarmingly unaware of how modern tech works, arent you?  If you think the privacy settings on your phone are protecting you from nation state data harvesting, I dont know what to tell you. Numerous independent investigations have determined that TikTok actually circumvents your devices privacy settings.  Please educate yourself on this topic before posting again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep, the timing on this one is just plain fucking retarded.
View Quote

Its incredibly sad that the banning of a useless app can lose a vote.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I should be more clear: The administration needs to explicitly explain why tictok is an immediate threat beyond "china is spying," and try to get that message out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I think they won’t though because this isn’t just a TicTok problem. This is a major problem across a lot of apps. The amount of data collection we are subjected to daily is scary. I think if Trump started getting into specifics some people will say, “wait a second”, and point out that Facebook, IG, SC, and others are doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow.  You are alarmingly unaware of how modern tech works, arent you?  If you think the privacy settings on your phone are protecting you from nation state data harvesting, I dont know what to tell you. Numerous independent investigations have determined that TikTok actually circumvents your devices privacy settings.  Please educate yourself on this topic before posting again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they don’t have access to that info “whenever they want.”

If you are making a tik tok things like cameras and mics are on (obviously)

If you spend more than 3 seconds setting up privacy on your phone tik tok nor any other app should be able to start using location services when it’s not being used. Tiktok doesn’t even use location services when you are actively using it.

Unlike things like Facebook.

Again, we are talking about cameras,
Microphones, and location services.

He implied the CCP could turn any of those sensors on at will on anyone using the app.

And the evidence for that claim has been only vaguely related security concerns of a much more limited scope.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I love it when someone is clueless without evidence just asserts they are right because they want to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I love it when someone is clueless without evidence just asserts they are right because they want to be.

No.  At a certain point the ignorance just becomes comical.  Thats the point youre at.

My phone notifies me if my camera, microphone, or location services are being used. Are you claiming that tiktok has managed to bypass all of the OS security for those notifications and nobody has noticed yet except you?

Yes, thats exactly what he and every other informed individual in this thread has tried to explain to you.  And a LOT of professional organizations have looked at TikToks source codes and data transmissions, and all come to the same conclusion.  Its not that noone other than him has noticed it.  Everyone except you and millions of teenyboppers have noticed it.  Its the reason there is so much of this controversy over TikTok.  Nearly every professional tech or investigative organization to look at TikTok has come to the same conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No.  At a certain point the ignorance just becomes comical.  Thats the point youre at.

Yes, thats exactly what he and every other informed individual in this thread has tried to explain to you.  And a LOT of professional organizations have looked at TikToks source codes and data transmissions, and all come to the same conclusion.  Its not that noone other than him has noticed it.  Everyone except you and millions of teenyboppers have noticed it.  Its the reason there is so much of this controversy over TikTok.  Nearly every professional tech or investigative organization to look at TikTok has come to the same conclusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My phone notifies me if my camera, microphone, or location services are being used. Are you claiming that tiktok has managed to bypass all of the OS security for those notifications and nobody has noticed yet except you?

That it can turn on cameras, microphones, and gps at will? I’m not saying there aren’t security concerns with tiktok and nearly every other app. You are arguing against a claim I’m not making.

I’m challenging him in a very specific claim that he made with zero evidence.

Citation please.

So far the evidence presented for the claim that all 3 previously mentions sensors could be turned on at will on any device is:

-google can track location on their own OS
-tiktok was tracking personal identifiers
-tiktok was watching your clipboard

You see how while all of these are concerns (one of which has literally nothing to do with tiktok), it in no way proves a certain members fantastical claims correct?

Also the main reason for the controversy has nothing to do with security, and we all know that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Its incredibly sad that the banning of a useless app method of communicationcan lose a vote.
View Quote

TikTok is IT cancer.  I hate it and will never use it.  Im in here actively trying to educate people on the privacy issues with it.  But its a horrifying precedent to set where a President can unilaterally restrict a platform used for expression.  Im sure democrats would never target gun sites like that.....l
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That it can turn on cameras, microphones, and gps at will? I’m not saying there aren’t security concerns with tiktok and nearly every other app. You are arguing against a claim I’m not making.

Citation please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citation please.

Jesus, how have you not managed to drown in a bathtub by now. Multiple people have tried to explain this to you. Every time someone proves you wrong you try to pair down your point to something else. First you tried to claim they couldn’t bypass security settings on the phone. That was proven wrong. So then you tried to claim they can’t turn on your camera and mic remotely. That was proven wrong. Now you are claiming that data cant be accessed by the Chinese govt. Wrong. Do you not understand data collection and surveillance? Fuck man, our goverment does it to us. We are probably doing, scratch that. We are doing the same thing to China. Stop being simple and go do some very basic research and you will see how this works. Edward Snowden blew the doors wide open on this and that stuff was going on 15 years ago. Who knows what kind of ways they’ve come up with to collect data.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He implied the CCP could turn any of those sensors on at will on anyone using the app.

And the evidence for that claim has been only vaguely related security concerns of a much more limited scope.
View Quote

Governments have been able to remotely activate cameras and microphones for about a decade now.  

Just about every major US tech company is in agreement that TikTok actively circumvents OS safety and privacy protocols.

TikTok went behind Google's back to collect users' MAC addresses for over a year

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/10/21320196/amazon-employees-tiktok-uninstall-email-trump-administration-pompeo-ban

Wells Fargo Tells Workers to Remove TikTok App From Work Phones

At this point, you are being willfully ignorant if you think a social media platform that is backed by a nation state this infamous for its data harvesting capabilities, is not able to remotely access pretty much every key input or output feature on your device.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now you are claiming that data cant be accessed by the Chinese govt. Wrong. a.
View Quote

I see your habit of just making shit up has continued.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Governments have been able to remotely activate cameras and microphones for about a decade now.  

Just about every major US tech company is in agreement that TikTok actively circumvents OS safety and privacy protocols.

TikTok went behind Google's back to collect users' MAC addresses for over a year

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/10/21320196/amazon-employees-tiktok-uninstall-email-trump-administration-pompeo-ban

At this point, you are being willfully ignorant if you think a social media platform that is backed by a nation state this infamous for its data harvesting capabilities, is not able to remotely access pretty much every key input or output feature on your device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, that still leaves his claims entirely up to conjecture. I’ve never claimed there aren’t security issues with tiktok. And AGAIN, looking at the clipboard is a far cry from what he claimed is happening.

Camera, microphone, location. At will.

“I think they can do it, therefore they can and do”
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Again, that still leaves his claims entirely up to conjecture. I’ve never claimed there aren’t security issues with tiktok. And AGAIN, looking at the clipboard is a far cry from what he claimed is happening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am concerned this will upset some younger voters. I am all for banning it, but wait about 50 days.
View Quote

Yes, pander to the kids, despite the security risks.. Logic
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saying it’s “very easy to use” for spying isn’t the same as proving that it actually is being used for spying or that it’s the Chinese government that is using it for spying.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

And youre probably not going to get a lot of that info on an unclassified blog kid.  Again.  Almost every single tech company that has looked at this app has said it is basically privacy cancer.  At what point are you going to start listening to people who know more about a subject than you do?  When your doctor says "smoking causes you cancer" do you question that too? At this point, your ignorance is either so willfull that you cant accept the basic accepted facts regarding your little toy, or you you are actively trying to downplay the nearly universally acknowledged security concerns with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Saying it’s “very easy to use” for spying isn’t the same as proving that it actually is being used for spying or that it’s the Chinese government that is using it for spying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can’t be that naive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought Oracle just bought out the US based assets of Tik Tok.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good observation, comrade.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought Oracle just bought out the US based assets of Tik Tok.
View Quote

I think the administration won't approve it because china still owns certain key parts. This is probably a move to force a better deal, but seems ripe for backfire imo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And youre probably not going to get a lot of that info on an unclassified blog kid.  Again.  Almost every single tech company that has looked at this app has said it is basically privacy cancer.  At what point are you going to start listening to people who know more about a subject than you do?  When your doctor says "smoking causes you cancer" do you question that too? At this point, your ignorance is either so willfull that you cant accept the basic accepted facts regarding your little toy, or you you are actively trying to downplay the nearly universally acknowledged security concerns with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many times do I have to reiterate the fact that I’m not claiming tiktok doesn’t have privacy concerns?

But it’s nice to see you admit that you haven’t seen any evidence for surveillance beyond the things I’ve already acknowledged as an issue when they were brought up repeatedly.

Tracking identifiers is bad, sniffing a clipboard is bad, and I don’t think anyone here is claiming otherwise. I’m not downplaying the issues, I’m just not participating in the hysterics. But look, if you want to keep arguing something I’m not contesting, knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, Trump just lost the votes of all the 15-16yo high school girls.  He's done.
View Quote

This. He had so much momentum up until this. Now he lost the TikToc vote. It’s over
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

TikTok is IT cancer.  I hate it and will never use it.  Im in here actively trying to educate people on the privacy issues with it.  But its a horrifying precedent to set where a President can unilaterally restrict a platform used for expression.  Im sure democrats would never target gun sites like that.....l
View Quote

I agree, however, if TT is a Chinese .gov data mining trojan horse it needs to go as I think that crosses from 'communication' and right into national security territory. I could be wrong as I'm not a user and pay little attention to the app of the month club.

US liberal tech already stifles American's speech, so I don't get the conservative outrage over this. I get it in theory, but thats about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How many times do I have to reiterate the fact that I’m not claiming tiktok doesn’t have privacy concerns?

But it’s nice to see you admit that you haven’t seen any evidence for surveillance beyond the things I’ve already acknowledged as an issue when they were brought up repeatedly.

Tracking identifiers is bad, sniffing a clipboard is bad, and I don’t think anyone here is claiming otherwise. I’m not downplaying the issues, I’m just not participating in the hysterics. But look, if you want to keep arguing something I’m not contesting, knock yourself out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I mean, I literally cited just about every professional source on the internet, as well as showed you how nation states (and their proxies) have been doing that for a decade now.  But hey.  If ignorance is bliss, you must be one happy kid.  

But just to add some insult to injury, here is one of the original findings that led to TikTok getting as much scrutiny as it does. His findings have been validated by numerous other industry and tech experts.  

bangorlol 9698 points 2 months ago*
So I can personally weigh in on this. I reverse-engineered the app, and feel confident in stating that I have a very strong understanding for how the app operates (or at least operated as of a few months ago).
TikTok is a data collection service that is thinly-veiled as a social network. If there is an API to get information on you, your contacts, or your device... well, they're using it.

Phone hardware (cpu type, number of course, hardware ids, screen dimensions, dpi, memory usage, disk space, etc)
   Other apps you have installed (I've even seen some I've deleted show up in their analytics payload - maybe using as cached value?)
   Everything network-related (ip, local ip, router mac, your mac, wifi access point name)
   Whether or not you're rooted/jailbroken
   Some variants of the app had GPS pinging enabled at the time, roughly once every 30 seconds - this is enabled by default if you ever location-tag a post IIRC
   They set up a local proxy server on your device for "transcoding media", but that can be abused very easily as it has zero authentication

The scariest part of all of this is that much of the logging they're doing is remotely configurable, and unless you reverse every single one of their native libraries (have fun reading all of that assembly, assuming you can get past their customized fork of OLLVM!!!) and manually inspect every single obfuscated function. They have several different protections in place to prevent you from reversing or debugging the app as well. App behavior changes slightly if they know you're trying to figure out what they're doing. There's also a few snippets of code on the Android version that allows for the downloading of a remote zip file, unzipping it, and executing said binary. There is zero reason a mobile app would need this functionality legitimately.
On top of all of the above, they weren't even using HTTPS for the longest time. They leaked users' email addresses in their HTTP REST API, as well as their secondary emails used for password resets. Don't forget about users' real names and birthdays, too. It was allllll publicly viewable a few months ago if you MITM'd the application.
They provide users with a taste of "virality" to entice them to stay on the platform. Your first TikTok post will likely garner quite a bit of likes, regardless of how good it is.. assuming you get past the initial moderation queue if thats still a thing. Most users end up chasing the dragon. Oh, there's also a ton of creepy old men who have direct access to children on the app, and I've personally seen (and reported) some really suspect stuff. 40-50 year old men getting 8-10 year old girls to do "duets" with them with sexually suggestive songs. Those videos are posted publicly. TikTok has direct messaging functionality.
Here's the thing though.. they don't want you to know how much information they're collecting on you, and the security implications of all of that data in one place, en masse, are fucking huge. They encrypt all of the analytics requests with an algorithm that changes with every update (at the very least the keys change) just so you can't see what they're doing. They also made it so you cannot use the app at all if you block communication to their analytics host off at the DNS-level.
For what it's worth I've reversed the Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter apps. They don't collect anywhere near the same amount of data that TikTok does, and they sure as hell aren't outright trying to hide exactly whats being sent like TikTok is. It's like comparing a cup of water to the ocean - they just don't compare.
tl;dr; I'm a nerd who figures out how apps work for a job. Calling it an advertising platform is an understatement. TikTok is essentially malware that is targeting children. Don't use TikTok. Don't let your friends and family use it.
Edit: Well this blew up - sorry for the typos, I wrote this comment pretty quick. I appreciate the gold/rewards/etc people, but I'm honestly just glad I'm finally able to put this information in front of people (even if it may outdated by a few months).
If you're a security researcher and want to take a look at the most recent versions of the app, send me a PM and I'll give you all of the information I have as a jumping point for you to do your thing.
Edit 2: More research..
/u/kisuka left the following comment here:

Piggy-backing on this. Penetrum just put out their TikTok research: https://penetrum.com/research/tiktok/

Edit 2: Damn people. You necromanced the hell out of this comment.
Edit 3: Updated the Penetrum link + added Zimperium's report (requires you request it manually)
The above Penetrum link appears to be gone. Someone else linked the paper here: https://penetrum.com/research
Zimperium put out a report awhile ago too: https://blog.zimperium.com/zimperium-analyzes-tiktoks-security-and-privacy-risks/

Ill break out the crayons for you since I know there were a lot of big words in there that might be hard for you to comprehend.  Tik Tok gets access to literally everything on your phone and, by design, harvests everything on your phone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree, however, if TT is a Chinese .gov data mining trojan horse it needs to go as I think that crosses from 'communication' and right into national security territory. I could be wrong as I'm not a user and pay little attention to the app of the month club.

US liberal tech already stifles American's speech, so I don't get the conservative outrage over this. I get it in theory, but thats about it.
View Quote

And to a certain extent I agree.  But its not the governments business to decide that for the citizens.  What Id like to see is some of the international IT regulatory organizations getting together and classifying it as malware, then treating it as such through most of the published anti-malware software programs. If Norton, Windows Defender, or Malwarebytes automatically flagged and removed the app, that would be something acceptable. Private companies censoring the content on their platforms is one thing, but it sets a VERY dangerous precedence when the US government starts censoring things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#28]
This is appropriate to this thread.

Why TikTok Is Worse Than Coronavirus
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I mean, I literally cited just about every professional source on the internet, as well as showed you how nation states (and their proxies) have been doing that for a decade now.  But hey.  If ignorance is bliss, you must be one happy kid.  

But just to add some insult to injury, here is one of the original findings that led to TikTok getting as much scrutiny as it does. His findings have been validated by numerous other industry and tech experts.  

Ill break out the crayons for you since I know there were a lot of big words in there that might be hard for you to comprehend.  Tik Tok gets access to literally everything on your phone and, by design, harvests everything on your phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I can personally weigh in on this. I reverse-engineered the app, and feel confident in stating that I have a very strong understanding for how the app operates (or at least operated as of a few months ago).
TikTok is a data collection service that is thinly-veiled as a social network. If there is an API to get information on you, your contacts, or your device... well, they're using it.

Phone hardware (cpu type, number of course, hardware ids, screen dimensions, dpi, memory usage, disk space, etc)
   Other apps you have installed (I've even seen some I've deleted show up in their analytics payload - maybe using as cached value?)
   Everything network-related (ip, local ip, router mac, your mac, wifi access point name)
   Some variants of the app had GPS pinging enabled at the time, roughly once every 30 seconds - this is enabled by default if you ever location-tag a post IIRC
   They set up a local proxy server on your device for "transcoding media", but that can be abused very easily as it has zero authentication

The scariest part of all of this is that much of the logging they're doing is remotely configurable, and unless you reverse every single one of their native libraries (have fun reading all of that assembly, assuming you can get past their customized fork of OLLVM!!!) and manually inspect every single obfuscated function. They have several different protections in place to prevent you from reversing or debugging the app as well. App behavior changes slightly if they know you're trying to figure out what they're doing. There's also a few snippets of code on the Android version that allows for the downloading of a remote zip file, unzipping it, and executing said binary. There is zero reason a mobile app would need this functionality legitimately.
On top of all of the above, they weren't even using HTTPS for the longest time. They leaked users' email addresses in their HTTP REST API, as well as their secondary emails used for password resets. Don't forget about users' real names and birthdays, too. It was allllll publicly viewable a few months ago if you MITM'd the application.
They provide users with a taste of "virality" to entice them to stay on the platform. Your first TikTok post will likely garner quite a bit of likes, regardless of how good it is.. assuming you get past the initial moderation queue if thats still a thing. Most users end up chasing the dragon. Oh, there's also a ton of creepy old men who have direct access to children on the app, and I've personally seen (and reported) some really suspect stuff. 40-50 year old men getting 8-10 year old girls to do "duets" with them with sexually suggestive songs. Those videos are posted publicly. TikTok has direct messaging functionality.
Here's the thing though.. they don't want you to know how much information they're collecting on you, and the security implications of all of that data in one place, en masse, are fucking huge. They encrypt all of the analytics requests with an algorithm that changes with every update (at the very least the keys change) just so you can't see what they're doing. They also made it so you cannot use the app at all if you block communication to their analytics host off at the DNS-level.
For what it's worth I've reversed the Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter apps. They don't collect anywhere near the same amount of data that TikTok does, and they sure as hell aren't outright trying to hide exactly whats being sent like TikTok is. It's like comparing a cup of water to the ocean - they just don't compare.
tl;dr; I'm a nerd who figures out how apps work for a job. Calling it an advertising platform is an understatement. TikTok is essentially malware that is targeting children. Don't use TikTok. Don't let your friends and family use it.
Edit: Well this blew up - sorry for the typos, I wrote this comment pretty quick. I appreciate the gold/rewards/etc people, but I'm honestly just glad I'm finally able to put this information in front of people (even if it may outdated by a few months).
If you're a security researcher and want to take a look at the most recent versions of the app, send me a PM and I'll give you all of the information I have as a jumping point for you to do your thing.

Piggy-backing on this. Penetrum just put out their TikTok research: https://penetrum.com/research/tiktok/

Edit 3: Updated the Penetrum link + added Zimperium's report (requires you request it manually)
The above Penetrum link appears to be gone. Someone else linked the paper here: https://penetrum.com/research
Zimperium put out a report awhile ago too: https://blog.zimperium.com/zimperium-analyzes-tiktoks-security-and-privacy-risks/

So can you just quote the relevant parts regarding video, audio, and location services being turned on whenever they please? Bonus points for evidence of those things on devices which have specifically been set to deny access.

I don’t want to dig through a pile of things nobody is arguing against and waste my time like I’ve already done several times with the various links to “proof” that have already been posted by you clowns who are apparently too stupid to comprehend what I’m saying and simply reduce it to “tik tok fine! No bad here!”

What’s his nuts claimed the CCP can currently turn on ALL  of those three services at will to spy on people, and it has further been asserted that tiktok can do this even if you’ve denied it access to your camera, microphone, and location services.

All that has been presented as evidence is tangential security issues that only establish tiktok is a privacy concern (which, it is) and not that any of the claimed capabilities exist.

Do you have any specific evidence of that kind of spying, or are you just going to keep acting like an increasingly condescending prick?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don’t want to dig through a pile of things nobody is arguing against and waste my time like I’ve already done several times with the various links to “proof” that have already been posted by you clowns. actually be informed and have to admit that Im wrong

View Quote

Fixed it for you.

As has already been explained to you in several posts, the app has been proven to circumvent security settings.  Again bud, the app literally records EVERYTHING your phone does or has access to.  And as the app is pretty much directly connected to the Chinese government, that means it is literally a platform for them to use to harvest your data, and use it for targeted collection.  At this point Im starting to wonder if you have some sort of ulterior motive for defending this app.

Edit-  Cute edit of yours though.  Try again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Rather see him ban BLM-Antifa Deep State & George Soros.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

At this point Im starting to wonder if you have some sort of ulterior motive for defending this app.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t want to dig through a pile of things nobody is arguing against and waste my time like I’ve already done several times with the various links to “proof” that have already been posted by you clowns. actually be informed and have to admit that Im wrong

At this point Im starting to wonder if you have some sort of ulterior motive for defending this app.

Gotta get that paycheck somehow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If half of that is true it's really bad. Like bad as in complete compromise of your device.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Good, next do all commerce with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Trump hates it when someone/something makes him look bad.  He takes it personally and goes after it hard...such as bump stocks.  That shooting was a huge black eye on his administration so he eliminated it.  What else gave Trump a black eye?  Remember this headline "TikTok users say they helped sabotage Trump rally".  Now you know why Trump is focusing on TikTok so hard.
View Quote

Not sure how it took so long for someone to mention bump stocks.  These things set an extremely bad precedents and not good for a democracy.  It appears he isn't even making calls to prop up his base or move others in his direction, just going after things that he perceives to make him look bad.  I have a half dozen 'basket of deplorable, Texas chapter' tee shirts, but have been telling my wife he is starting to sound more and more like Kim Jong Un.  This will all be gone by Easter, will just magically disappear, then audio comes out that he knew what anyone paying attention knew.  

Between a rock and a hard place.  A guy that can't figure out where he is at or present a thought, or someone that takes a piss on the 1st and 2nd by EO.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If half of that is true it's really bad. Like bad as in complete compromise of your device.
View Quote

That post has been cited in hundreds of articles in technical publications across the internet over the last few months, and much of the data has been confirmed by other organizations that also reverse engineered the app. There is a reason that just about every major tech company, and banking company has issued directives to their employees not to use the app.  Snowdens leaks showed us the extent that any large nation can go to do massive data harvesting from PEDs.  Its naive to think our near peer competitors dont have that sort of capability.  And considering how intentionally pervasive the app was designed to be, and how many already documented discoveries there are in terms of it circumventing privacy settings, only an absolute idiot or someone being paid to promote the app would try to argue that it isnt completely plausible or highly likely that TikTok is being used by the CCP in this manner. Seems there is at least one of those people in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is true, and it’s bad. There is a reason I uninstalled the app after it came to light.

It’s a shame though, better content on there than any other popular apps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
People on a firearms website (one that is named after an "assault rifle" no less) applauding blanket censorship based on feelings....crazy.  Fuck freedom I guess.  I hope that everyone is happy when we use emotion and public opinion to ban scary guns.  People who talk about spying and censorship while surfing from chrome and using Gmail and facebook.  Crazy world.
View Quote

get outta here with that crap
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting. My wife makes decent money on there doing math problems (with her clothes on).
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like the outcome, but...

Is this even close to legal?
View Quote

Of course.

It's a national security threat by a foreign nation's gov that is at war with us behind the scenes.

They deserve far, far worse than having their attacks addressed. (which is all banning these apps is, eliminating an attack on us through data farming)
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not sure how it took so long for someone to mention bump stocks.  These things set an extremely bad precedents and not good for a democracy.  It appears he isn't even making calls to prop up his base or move others in his direction, just going after things that he perceives to make him look bad.  I have a half dozen 'basket of deplorable, Texas chapter' tee shirts, but have been telling my wife he is starting to sound more and more like Kim Jong Un.  This will all be gone by Easter, will just magically disappear, then audio comes out that he knew what anyone paying attention knew.  

Between a rock and a hard place.  A guy that can't figure out where he is at or present a thought, or someone that takes a piss on the 1st and 2nd by EO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trump hates it when someone/something makes him look bad.  He takes it personally and goes after it hard...such as bump stocks.  That shooting was a huge black eye on his administration so he eliminated it.  What else gave Trump a black eye?  Remember this headline "TikTok users say they helped sabotage Trump rally".  Now you know why Trump is focusing on TikTok so hard.

Don't fool yourself, a harris-biden admin will piss on the Constitution 10x as hard. Harris is the woman who cackled and said "yes we can" gleefully about implementing an awb by eo
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Don't fool yourself, a harris-biden admin will piss on the Constitution 10x as hard. Harris is the woman who cackled and said "yes we can" gleefully about implementing an awb by eo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong.  Will binary triggers be banned, will ARF be banned by EO?  I'm not for biden, but when Mattis said F off, I could see something wasn't quite right.  You say the other side will ban things, Trump HAS band things.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Does this mean this dumb tiktok commercial will be going away
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Trump is now giving his approval of the Oracle and Walmart deal to take over US TikTok.  Of course the media fails to mention what changed in the deal or what Trump was objecting to.  The only thing that stands out is Walmart had by trying to get into the deal and Oracle's initial bid had no mention of partnering with Walmart but now it does.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-approving-tiktok-oracle-212826780.html

TikTok will be owned by a new company called TikTok Global and will be headquartered in the United States, possibly in Texas, Trump said. Oracle Corp  will take a 12.5% stake in TikTok Global and store all its U.S. user data on its cloud to comply with U.S. national security requirements, the companies said. Retail giant Walmart  said it would take a 7.5% stake in TikTok Global. The implied valuation for TikTok Global as a result of these investments could not be learned.

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does this mean this dumb tiktok commercial will be going away
View Quote

It means this jailbait "influencer" is going to hang her self tomorrow

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top