Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was that a motorcyclist on the bridge when it collapsed? Talk about shitty timing.
View Quote

It was a moto officer that never saw the bridge had collapsed ahead of him.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
But if we do, let's hope for lots of good video again!

That last bad one everybody remembers clearly was a 9.0 or 9.1. This one won't do much comparatively.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Was your phone on vibrate?
View Quote

I'd laugh if this weren't so serious...so I'll chuckle a little instead...
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well that sucks. Add another one on to the pile of suck.

Quoted:

I saw what you wrote originally.

Don't shit in my thread again.
View Quote

Saying something like that is an open invitation for shitposts, ya know.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well that sucks. Add another one on to the pile of suck.

Saying something like that is an open invitation for shitposts, ya know.
View Quote

Thank you for your feedback.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Both dogs ran to my desk and sat on my feet, the birds (two parrots) started flying around their cages.
View Quote

Really fascinating. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you for your feedback.
View Quote

Any time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Just saw there was a M5.5 aftershock
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Right when I clicked your link my phone earthquake app sent me a notification about it.
View Quote

"my phone earthquake app"  

Hope everybody's okay.  They completely shut down the power station right?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1504126780977913866?s=20&t=voHCRaupMsOUTAGB75hFhQ[/tweet]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://media.tenor.com/images/f8733a267a429ee2ec2c4240d1f22b91/tenor.gif

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right when I clicked your link my phone earthquake app sent me a notification about it.

https://media.tenor.com/images/f8733a267a429ee2ec2c4240d1f22b91/tenor.gif

There are a few good apps that I've seen to track quakes.  For some people it's a hobby I guess.   Pretty neat, though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in Vegas asleep 15 floors up when a small earthquake hit.

That was not a good experience.

Prayers for those in Japan.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I believe so, now that you mention it.  In fact, IIRC that was one of the first confirmed fatals.  

90 seconds to sheer terror.  There’s not a damn thing you can do until the ground stops swimming beneath your feet.  The natural gas fires started almost immediately and burned for days.  At night, the entire LA Basin was lit by firelight.  Aftershocks went on for months, and some big ones too.  I was close to the initial epicenter.  I really, truly thought that was it for me.  

1994, holy shit.  Where has the time gone.
View Quote

Northridge?

I grew up in central CA and wasn’t too far from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake in 89. It was fucking wild. Was thru plenty of 4-5’s prior to that, but a 7+ is a whole different animal. Never have I seen streets of asphalt look like they were built upon the top of the ocean. The ability to flex and wave like they did was amazing to see in person.

Good luck to the people of Japan. They are gonna need it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

700K buildings in a city with a population of 13,000,000. Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
All bad, I hope it was just one hell of martini shaker and nothing else

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All bad, I hope it was just one hell of martini shaker and nothing else

View Quote

Looks like no Tsunami.  For that, we can be extremely thankful.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1504126780977913866?s=20&[/tweet]
View Quote
Yabai. What the hell were all of those light flashes? Substations kicking the bucket or something?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

700K buildings in a city with a population of 13,000,000. Fuck.
View Quote

A lot of that is power going out due to automatic circuit breakers, we don't know if there is much physical damage but from what the news is saying everything will be back on soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1504126780977913866?s=20&t=voHCRaupMsOUTAGB75hFhQ[/tweet]
View Quote

Insanity.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol or what tough guy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
nvm

Lol or what tough guy

Didn't you hear what OP said? "this is kinda an important thread"  And he must be kinda an important guy.  

Earthquakes happen, OP.  Especially along fault lines.  Hope everyone is okay, but for most of us around the world, this is mildly interesting at most.

We had a hale storm here in Dallas, TX a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Didn't you hear what OP said? "this is kinda an important thread"  And he must be kinda an important guy.  

Earthquakes happen, OP.  Especially along fault lines.  Hope everyone is okay, but for most of us around the world, this is mildly interesting at most.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
nvm

Lol or what tough guy

It seems this thread is dual-purpose, and very useful as such as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]

I probably would have shit my pants on that train.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Northridge?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe so, now that you mention it.  In fact, IIRC that was one of the first confirmed fatals.  

90 seconds to sheer terror.  There’s not a damn thing you can do until the ground stops swimming beneath your feet.  The natural gas fires started almost immediately and burned for days.  At night, the entire LA Basin was lit by firelight.  Aftershocks went on for months, and some big ones too.  I was close to the initial epicenter.  I really, truly thought that was it for me.  

1994, holy shit.  Where has the time gone.

Northridge?

Yep.  
From just after the sun came up I began doing emergency work on the top floors and roof of a hospital.  Was up there for 19 hours straight, aftershocks the entire time, the building never stopped moving.  Once I finally got home and crashed into bed, I felt like I’d been on an offshore fishing boat all day.  My head wouldn’t stop swimming.

The emergency work went on for weeks.  I saw some pretty awful stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep.  
From just after the sun came up I began doing emergency work on the top floors and roof of a hospital.  Was up there for 19 hours straight, aftershocks the entire time, the building never stopped moving.  Once I finally got home and crashed into bed, I felt like I’d been on an offshore fishing boat all day.  My head wouldn’t stop swimming.

View Quote

Jesus.  Did you even sleep that night?  Getting rocked around like that must've been hell.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I probably would have shit my pants on that train.
View Quote

Nice rhythm going on there, sounded like some Japanese rap was about to kick off
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
nvm

Lol or what tough guy

I live a mostly boring quiet life.  

Seriously though, I thought a sizeable underwater earthquake guaranteed a tsunami/tidal wave???  How is there NOT one?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Didn't see the post, but this GD afterall, not a tech forum.  I suppose if it was bad, it would have been handled by the site staff, no?

Anyway, don't you paying members have private forums so you don't have to deal with the riff raff?

Maybe arfcom needs to go the way of yahoo and allow paying members to create posts and turn off replies to keep things civil.  That way the creator of posts can control them.  Or, maybe a feature where the post creator has to approve all replies to weed out garbage posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love jokes and memes but that bullshit he wrote would've ignited a shitstorm and this is kind of an important thread.  I'd rather people get insight and be able to post updates instead of the usual shit slinging and purse swinging.  Sometimes enough is enough.

Didn't see the post, but this GD afterall, not a tech forum.  I suppose if it was bad, it would have been handled by the site staff, no?

Anyway, don't you paying members have private forums so you don't have to deal with the riff raff?

Maybe arfcom needs to go the way of yahoo and allow paying members to create posts and turn off replies to keep things civil.  That way the creator of posts can control them.  Or, maybe a feature where the post creator has to approve all replies to weed out garbage posts.

How about people just quit being immature, insecure assholes and edgelords?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I was in the Solano Mall in California in 1996, was in a CD store when all the discs started rattling in the racks. Looked around, nobody else even looked up. Fuck this, I left.

At Travis AFB they figured out most of the dorms were built on a fault line. THAT was encouraging.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Jesus.  Did you even sleep that night?  Getting rocked around like that must've been hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  

We tried doing 30-minute naps in shifts every 6-8 hours, but there was no sleeping through that.  None of us got much sleep for the first several days.

Tall buildings sway, and once they start swaying it takes a while for them to quit swaying.  But if that same building is constantly being shaken by aftershocks, it never stops swaying until the aftershocks stop.  Or at least decrease in frequency and magnitude.

In the days/weeks that followed we saw a lot of loss and sorrow.  People who’s only crime was to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, it was a tough deal.  And not one that I’d like to do over again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Loma Prieta in HS for me and lived on the Hayward fault.
The ground was always moving. Lived in the east bay for 25 years as a kid.

Its hard to ecplain to folks just how small and powerless you can feel when the world your shit is built on is moving and doing what it wants too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is Godzilla awakening?
View Quote

Kaiju
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love jokes and memes but that bullshit he wrote would've ignited a shitstorm and this is kind of an important thread.  I'd rather people get insight and be able to post updates instead of the usual shit slinging and purse swinging.  Sometimes enough is enough.

I have been around Arfcom a lot longer than my join date and remember when these threads were a great source of breaking info. They stayed pretty much on topic but now there are a lot of Steven Colbert types that can't wait to derail these threads with their snarky remarks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd like to experience a quake, a small one. I'm just curious what it's like to see everything shake. I've been offshore in a boat 87 billion times but that's nothing in comparison
View Quote
Was about 5-10 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake. Trust me. You don't.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And I thought 13'ers were dipshits.
View Quote

They ain't got nothin on 08's apparently
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Godzilla???? Please be Godzilla...
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Was about 5-10 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake. Trust me. You don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like to experience a quake, a small one. I'm just curious what it's like to see everything shake. I've been offshore in a boat 87 billion times but that's nothing in comparison

We could’ve been neighbors.  What a small world.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They ain't got nothin on 08's apparently
View Quote

Thank you for being a valued and trusted member of this community.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Another aftershock, 4.6 this time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nice rhythm going on there, sounded like some Japanese rap was about to kick off
View Quote

Thought the same thing. Was expecting to see some old white hobo slapping his legs and planning the spoons.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly that was a California Highway Patrolman responding to a call, rode right off the edge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that a motorcyclist on the bridge when it collapsed? Talk about shitty timing.

If I remember correctly that was a California Highway Patrolman responding to a call, rode right off the edge.

In this Jan. 17, 1994, file photo, the covered body of Los Angeles Police Officer Clarence Wayne Dean lies near his motorcycle which plunged off the State Highway 14 overpass that collapsed onto Interstate 5, after a magnitude-6.7 Northridge earthquake in Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nvm

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

No you don't.

They fucking suck.  Personally the bigger and by bigger I've only experienced a 5.6 are better than the after shocks.  After the one we had a couple years back where we had thousands of after shocks It was like 2 months before I could go to sleep without booze.  The day I decided I needed to go without they had a big one up in Idaho that I felt.  I felt a lot of the ones below 2.0.  I didn't sleep well for months.

I fucking hate earthquakes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There are a few good apps that I've seen to track quakes.  For some people it's a hobby I guess.   Pretty neat, though.
View Quote

They sure help you feel like you are not crazy when you are having several quakes a day.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They sure help you feel like you are not crazy when you are having several quakes a day.
View Quote

Not to mention, you see there's a shitload more activity on/in this earth than you'd otherwise realize.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Exactly.  The one near Palm Springs 1986, I was sleeping on a carpeted concrete floor.  I woke up ready to fight whoever was shaking my rack.  It was a 6.0.

I have experienced many of them.

The 1992 Landers quake, a 7.3, I was just north of Barstow.  Massive trees were rocking, water sloshed out of the pool.  Lots of cabins at Big Bear Lake lost chimneys.

I was in the basement of the American Legion in Orange County CA when a good shaker came about.  It shook again the next day at breakfast, lamps were rocking, pool water sloshed.  Ridgecrest 7.1.  

I need to stay the fuck out of California.
View Quote

@wildearp

This was my aunt and uncles house in landers from the air.. you can see the fault going through the back yard and the yard moved over 6-7ft.  My dad and I went out there a week or two later to help them clean up and bring stuff to them... there were constant aftershocks and every time youd almost fall asleep one would hit and wake you backup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@wildearp

This was my aunt and uncles house in landers from the air.. you can see the fault going through the back yard and the yard moved over 6-7ft.  My dad and I went out there a week or two later to help them clean up and bring stuff to them... there were constant aftershocks and every time youd almost fall asleep one would hit and wake you backup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/16386241946_af121efa99_o__1__jpg-2315724.JPG
View Quote

Similar happened in the Ridgecrest 7.1

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top