Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2023 8:32:04 PM EDT

Cheap Jeep upgrade thread got me thinking about my new to me Jeep.

I just inherited this 91 yj from my dad. Has the 4.0 and the 5 speed.  104k miles. It actually handles really well but has some clunks and a sloppy steering column. Also has a leaky heater core.

I have a new heater core, pcv valve, and serpentine belt coming.  I have started waxing it and will pull and paint the top.

I’m thinking new rubicon express 4.5” lift, replace steering bushings/components as needed. Gonna order some half doors and a bikini top as well as front/rear bumpers and some rock sliders.  Black flairs are on the way.

Already has a tool box where the back seat would be full of tools, tire chains, soft shackles, tow strap and jumper cables. Has a shovel and a high lift mounted in the back as well as a gun rack.

Anything else I’m needing?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Round headlights…

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Winch is the most important upgrade.  The first thing to buy is recovery equipment like straps and tree savers and maybe a yank cord.  Small shovel flashlight and a few other tools for breakdowns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
depending on how you use your winch, you could upgrade to synthetic.   Not sure on your air situation - but a method to inflate and deflate is helpful.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Spring over leaf perches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
depending on how you use your winch, you could upgrade to synthetic.   Not sure on your air situation - but a method to inflate and deflate is helpful.
View Quote

Rope was on my list I forgot to add it. I have it on my general and it’s way better then cable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

How hard is it to do? I have a welder and shit tons of spray paint so I can make stuff look good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Round headlights…

View Quote

I used to think that but I don’t think the square ones are too bad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditch the fender flares and flat fender the front.

Flush mount 4” round LED brake lights are cheap and easy. It’s a good look imo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
1st thing......get round headlights so folks know it's really a Jeep.

Better axles.

Fuel injection if it has the crappy electric carburetor.

AX15 transmission if it doesn't have one.

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How hard is it to do? I have a welder and shit tons of spray paint so I can make stuff look good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy. You’re 90% there.

Track bar drop bracket or make your own Z bar

You could do a dropped pitman arm, but not required

I threw the anti sway bar in the trash

Make your own trans skid plate drop with some tubing spacers

If you want full articulation, you’ll have to do shocks and brake line extensions
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Jeep mirrors instead of those little ones.

Finestkind
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1st thing......get round headlights so folks know it's really a Jeep.

Better axles.

Fuel injection if it has the crappy electric carburetor.

AX15 transmission if it doesn't have one.

View Quote

I’ve got 2 of the 4. Thinking better axles will wait until I break these ones and round headlights are overrated.

I’m only planning on hitting logging roads so no real off-roading.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jeep mirrors instead of those little ones.

Finestkind
View Quote

Yes, that is an upgrade I will put on the list. Current mirrors are useless.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Angry grill..
Please don't
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#15]
header and exhaust
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
  Cheap rear axle upgrade  from a  junkyard  Explorer. most are 4.1 with posi.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Angry grill..
Please don't
View Quote

If I do angry eyes on a square headlight I thing it will look less angry and more Asian with down's syndrome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

This sticker
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Round headlights

View Quote
Do they make angry eye's for YJ's?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do they make angry eye's for YJ's?
View Quote

I think YJ's are pissed off enough without the angry eyes!  

You said half doors?  Why do doors at all?  I've got a pair of full doors that have sat in the garage for 3 years straight now!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
AAA
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not just enjoy it the way it is? Maybe a modest lift, even just a 1” body lift. Otherwise, fix what needs fixing and keep cleaning it up. It has a great classic look.

You can keep some soft half doors and a bikini top in the back to use in the event of unexpected rain if running around without tye hardtop and doors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why not just enjoy it the way it is? Maybe a modest lift, even just a 1” body lift. Otherwise, fix what needs fixing and keep cleaning it up. It has a great classic look.

You can keep some soft half doors and a bikini top in the back to use in the event of unexpected rain if running around without tye hardtop and doors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s basically my plan. I don’t really think I need to do axles, an atlas, and convert it to long arm suspension.  

It currently has a 2” lift, I want a little more tire clearnance and honestly the old shit is just worn out.  This is why I’m thinking 4.5” lift, a bit more and new parts.  As for the bumpers and sliders it’s just a looks thing. Otherwise I’m just bugging her out and making it look fresh again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Chemical Bros
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with OP, I would do a lift, at least a 3"...get better clearance.

I would probably put a nicer bumper on the front and swap that cable out for synthetic for sure.

If you are only hitting logging trails then your probably good after that...
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cheap rear axle upgrade  from a  junkyard  Explorer. most are 4.1 with posi.
View Quote

If my memory isn't off, Ford switched to disk brakes on the Explorer rear axle in 1997, which would be a nice bonus for an axle swap.  

The Ranger came with the 7.5 axle or the 8.8 axle, depending on what engine was installed, but I think the Explorers all got the 8.8 axle, due to the heavier body.  Possible gearing on Explorer axles included 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 (all ratios that Jeep used, so you don't have to regear an axle if you can find a junkyard axle with the same ratio), and I think at least one other ratio.  Diffs can be locker, limited slip, and if I'm not mistaken, the basic open diff, depending on what option package the Explorer has (Ford made 2WD versions for the soccer moms that didn't have fantasies about leaving the pavement or driving the kids to school in the snow).

The Explorer used coil springs at the rear, while the Jeep YJ has leaf springs, so the swap would require cutting various brackets off of the axle housing and welding new ones on.  The Ranger had leaf springs in the back, but (if my memory isn't off) were 'spring under axle', while the YJ is 'spring over axle', so you would still be cutting brackets off and welding brackets on if a Ranger 8.8 axle was used.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That’s basically my plan. I don’t really think I need to do axles, an atlas, and convert it to long arm suspension.  

It currently has a 2” lift, I want a little more tire clearnance and honestly the old shit is just worn out.  This is why I’m thinking 4.5” lift, a bit more and new parts.  As for the bumpers and sliders it’s just a looks thing. Otherwise I’m just bugging her out and making it look fresh again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the 4.5” RE lift on my CJ-8 and my neighbor had one on his YJ. Honestly, I think it’s probably a lot more than you need. I don’t how much lift necessitates a Slip Yoke Conversion on the transfer case in a YJ of if your Jeep has already been converted, but that is something to consider as well. I would be looking at 2-3” lifts and then a small body lift if you need any more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Get some LED Headlights and blind everyone on the road.
I have LED bulbs in my JK.

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If my memory isn't off, Ford switched to disk brakes on the Explorer rear axle in 1997, which would be a nice bonus for an axle swap.  

The Ranger came with the 7.5 axle or the 8.8 axle, depending on what engine was installed, but I think the Explorers all got the 8.8 axle, due to the heavier body.  Possible gearing on Explorer axles included 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 (all ratios that Jeep used, so you don't have to regear an axle if you can find a junkyard axle with the same ratio), and I think at least one other ratio.  Diffs can be locker, limited slip, and if I'm not mistaken, the basic open diff, depending on what option package the Explorer has (Ford made 2WD versions for the soccer moms that didn't have fantasies about leaving the pavement or driving the kids to school in the snow).

The Explorer used coil springs at the rear, while the Jeep YJ has leaf springs, so the swap would require cutting various brackets off of the axle housing and welding new ones on.  The Ranger had leaf springs in the back, but (if my memory isn't off) were 'spring under axle', while the YJ is 'spring over axle', so you would still be cutting brackets off and welding brackets on if a Ranger 8.8 axle was used.
View Quote
The Exploder 8.8 is leafsprung of that era, they went coils when they went IRS in like 2002 or 2003.

The spring perches are setup spring under though, and the spacing is not right for a YJ IIRC
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#30]
If you're just hitting logging roads then don't do anything to it.
Maybe a locker
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Exploder 8.8 is leafsprung of that era, they went coils when they went IRS in like 2002 or 2003.

The spring perches are setup spring under though, and the spacing is not right for a YJ IIRC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1998 Explorer axle sitting under my miter saw. Looks like a coil spring setup, to me. My brain is mush.
Attachment Attached File

I've got the correct brackets to weld on to make it fit my XJ, 4.10 ring and pinion and Detroit Truetrac diff to swap for the 3.73 and limited slip that are in it.  Even have new rear springs.  Still need new shocks for the rear, a 4.10 ring and pinion for the front axle, along with several other parts for the front suspension.  Main problem is finding the time to do the swap, since my original plan of just doing the rear axle swap with the same gears and tires, then regearing both axles and upgrading the suspension when I switch to larger tires, got derailed by not being able to find an Explorer rear axle with 3.55 gears at the local junkyards.

ETA:  Looking online, I'm seeing mixed information on the 1995 and newer rear axles.

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

1998 Explorer axle sitting under my miter saw.  Looks like a coil spring setup, to me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64025/98axle_jpg-2931455.JPG

I've got the correct brackets to weld on to make it fit my XJ, 4.10 ring and pinion and Detroit Truetrac diff to swap for the 3.73 and limited slip that are in it.  Even have new rear springs.  Still need new shocks for the rear, a 4.10 ring and pinion for the front axle, along with several other parts for the front suspension.  Main problem is finding the time to do the swap, since my original plan of just doing the rear axle swap with the same gears and tires, then regearing both axles and upgrading the suspension when I switch to larger tires, got derailed by not being able to find an Explorer rear axle with 3.55 gears at the local junkyards.

ETA:  Looking online, I'm seeing mixed information on the 1995 and newer rear axles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1998 Explorer axle sitting under my miter saw.  Looks like a coil spring setup, to me.

Look again, the leaf perches are under the axle tubes. Stock JYs are also spring under.

Rangers were spring over the axle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Three inch lift is plenty for your stated use. I don't hear a lot of positive comments about Rubicon Express.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Look again, the leaf perches are under the axle tubes. Stock JYs are also spring under.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  My bad.  It does have perches underneath for leaf springs.  What was throwing me off is that there are brackets on top that look like they are for links (some anti- spring wrap measure that Ford came up with?).
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you're just hitting logging roads then don't do anything to it.
Maybe a locker
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Tune up good skid plate and shocks.
Save your money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate saying things backwards - but I think you should figure out your tires before you start with a lift.  I have an LJ.  I went with a larger lift so I could put 33" tires on it.  But that complicates matters, as you will probably need a regear as well if you want bigger tires.  It looks like you already have fairly large tires on it - do they effect your articulation?   Has it been geared for those tires?  Have you checked to see if the speedometer gear has been changed to give you an accurate speed reading?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Some good info already mentioned here but I will add my $.02.
The 8.8" rear end swap is a good idea if you plan on doing a lot of off roading. I'm not sure of the distance between the spring perches of either vehicle, but 2wd Rangers are "underslung" like the jeep (looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue ) but only the 4.0L rangers (or Mazda B4000) came with the 8.8.
People mentioned a spring-over conversion fail to mention that you will need to have your driveshafts lengthened and rebalanced and possibly a rear tail shaft conversion for the t-case to eliminate vibrations.
If you just plan on driving it and doing light off roading, I would look into doing a front shackle reversal to alleviate some of the shitty ride quality.
Also, your front spring and shackle bushings look a little worn out. maybe its an optical illusion but the drivers side looks a little wonky.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
but 2wd Rangers are "underslung" like the jeep
View Quote

Not true, all Rangers are spring over. Explorers are spring under.

The 8.8 found in 4.0 Rangers (and Mazdas) are also 28 spline instead of 31 like the Explorer, FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Look at BDS springs.  You can order just the springs and you can buy heavier shackles to go with them elsewhere.  I netted 3 inches on their 2.5 in springs.  Shouldn't change the steering geometry or need to lower the T case.  Stiffer spring but very beefy spring.  I think the rear axel on those is a C clip axel so may want to look into that, especially if you put some kind of lunchbox locker in it.  Otherwise you can spend the next 20 years tinkering with it in some fashion or another.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not true, all Rangers are spring over. Explorers are spring under.

The 8.8 found in 4.0 Rangers (and Mazdas) are also 28 spline instead of 31 like the Explorer, FWIW.
View Quote

You are right. I stand corrected. (I went outside and looked at my 2wd Ranger )
For some reason I was thinking Toyota. Not sure why.

You are right about the spline count but I'm not sure that matters too much if you aren't dong a bunch of off roading. Anything is better than the Mod 35 with c clips though.
*original post edited
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anything is better than the Mod 35 with c clips though.
View Quote

Absolutely.

I also forgot that the FX4 Ranger has a 31 spline 8.8 IIRC, and a Torsen diff.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
(looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue )
View Quote

I'm blaming the heat, since I haven't messed with sealer since last Friday.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hate saying things backwards - but I think you should figure out your tires before you start with a lift.  I have an LJ.  I went with a larger lift so I could put 33" tires on it.  But that complicates matters, as you will probably need a regear as well if you want bigger tires.  It looks like you already have fairly large tires on it - do they effect your articulation?   Has it been geared for those tires?  Have you checked to see if the speedometer gear has been changed to give you an accurate speed reading?
View Quote

They are 32x11.5s minor rubbing at full lock. Has not been regeared and Speedo is off but it has the 4.0 so no problem turning the tires but I will say first is higher then I would like it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

We all have our days. I can't blame it on the heat though, that weak "hurricane" really knocked down the temp here and I needed something to blame my brain fart on.

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They are 32x11.5s minor rubbing at full lock. Has not been regeared and Speedo is off but it has the 4.0 so no problem turning the tires but I will say first is higher then I would like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that's what regearing it is for
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We all have our days. I can't blame it on the heat though, that weak "hurricane" really knocked down the temp here and I needed something to blame my brain fart on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boss just asked for a status update on what I'm working on.  I apparently paused too many times while remembering what I got finished, so he's sending me home (with pay for the rest of the day).
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quadratec sells different size speedometer drive gears and has a chart to tell you what speedometer gear you need for the tire size and axle gears you have.

ETA: https://www.quadratec.com/c/reference/jeep-speedometer-gear-tooth-chart
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Take it off road and see how it drives. It looks like the tops of your tires are really close to the fenders. So much so that I would be worried about tearing the fenders off when it's articulated / stuffing a tire. The solution for that is to put a lift on it or remove the fenders.

Stuffing a tire with my Jeep:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Add front and rear recovery points. Your front bumper looks like it has 2 places to put shackles. Is there a rear recovery point?

Get an Arb air down tool. Before going off road, air your tires down to 15psi.
Get a portable air compressor that connects to your battery. Carry a tire plug kit.
Get a tree saver strap and a kinetic recovery rope.
Exercise your winch - does it work? Steel cable winches are a bitch. Look into replacing the winch line with synthetic.

Join a local facebook Jeep &/or Overland group - find others to go off road with you. Many facebook Jeep groups are about Ducks and Parking Lot meet and greets. Join multiple Jeep groups, eventually you will find one that actually goes off pavement, frequently. Overlanders love hitting the trails. However most Overlanding groups are full of Toyotas.

There is no reason to off road alone as those of us that have the off road addiction will gladly join you.

If you have never off roaded before, I recommend you buy a book on the subject and read it. I still refer to my older edition of this book 20+ years later:
https://www.amazon.com/Four-Wheelers-Bible-3rd-Complete-Adventure/dp/0760368058
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#50]
YJ?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top