Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2024 9:43:39 PM EDT
The video has chapters, so you can hop right to the action. Very entertaining video. These guys apparently know what they're doing.

Epic Track Battle // Shelby GT350 vs. SS 1LE // Road America 2024
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Well...I liked it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I did too.

If you want a hotter thread you need to prep it right for GD. You should have used a title like, "Camaro smokes Mustang at RA" or "Mustang destroys Camaro." Then all the fan boys will come in and start making angry boomer noises, pumping your reply count.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought there'd be footage from inside the GT350.  I was wanting to hear some flat plane revs.

Nice fun run for sure!
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By g300d:
I thought there'd be footage from inside the GT350.  I was wanting to hear some flat plane revs.

Nice fun run for sure!
View Quote

Even though I'm not a Camaro guy, that SS sounded pretty darn good, too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:
I did too.

If you want a hotter thread you need to prep it right for GD. You should have used a title like, "Camaro smokes Mustang at RA" or "Mustang destroys Camaro." Then all the fan boys will come in and start making angry boomer noises, pumping your reply count.
View Quote

Or put "brisket," "Tranny," or "Dag" in the title.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:17:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerranger61007] [#6]
SS 1LE is a beast that punches way above it's weight.  Too bad I'm too poor to own one and use it the way it's meant to be.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I friggen love Road America. It’s such a great track. My next goal is to get into find the mid 2.20s. I am 2.29 now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Music to my ears, love it. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

View Quote

Didn't sound like stock exhaust to me.

I had a 6th gen SS and it was unflappable and composed on the street. Unbelievably stable and good handling. Not like the Camaros of old.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Would have to look it up but what is the Camaro roughly 20K MSRP less and 100 horsepower less?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:
SS 1LE is a beast that punches way above it's weight.  Too bad I'm too poor to own one and use it the way it's meant to be.
View Quote

Came to post exactly this...  Would love to swap my 4th Gen for a newer 1LE!

FJB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Well...I liked it.

View Quote
I did too. I regret I never did any racing like that, but I know I don't have the attention span to stay focused to that degree more than a lap or two. Man's got to know his limitations right?

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#13]
ZL1 1LE eats Mustangs for lunch dollar to dollar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jtskier11:

FJB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Blasphemy!

Upgrade your 4th gen and make it as good or better!
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SlowTA:

Blasphemy!

Upgrade your 4th gen and make it as good or better!
View Quote

Kids and daycare ate up my mod money.  Im still sitting FBO/cam and had plans for heads and a FAST.  Those hopes were dashed!
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]
While I am a GT350 Owner thru and thru, the ZL1 1LE just dominates it every way, but then again NA to Forced induction also plays heavy into that.
Ive got a buddy with a 1LE and he also flat out can drive. That combo of the two is amazing to watch.

But Id Still take my GT350 all day long, and yes the sound they make ( mine with Kooks Long tubes and Double X pipe ) is amazing!
Dont be next to me at WOT with your windows down, or youve got ear damage.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rival14:
While I am a GT350 Owner thru and thru, the ZL1 1LE just dominates it every way, but then again NA to Forced induction also plays heavy into that.
Ive got a buddy with a 1LE and he also flat out can drive. That combo of the two is amazing to watch.

But Id Still take my GT350 all day long, and yes the sound they make ( mine with Kooks Long tubes and Double X pipe ) is amazing!
View Quote

If I had that kind of money, I'd go with a GT350 too.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:27:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: baize82] [#18]
at one point, I owned a 1LE and my good friend owned a GT350R. Hes always let me drive his cars, many of them far above what I could afford. So, I hand him the keys and tell him to drive it like its his. When we got done, he said he liked my car better than his. Maybe he was just being nice. Regardless, the 6th gen 1LE is a formidable car and just an absolute blast to drive.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Makes you wonder if Chevy/GM partly killed the Camaro off (again) because its performance was too close to the Corvette.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#20]
I was there that weekend running my ZL1, & did a ride along with him & another instructor driving a 1LE. He’s a very good driver & a really cool guy.

Here’s my ride along. The 1st Gen Camaro that went past us was so bad ass.

The Viper you see as well you could feel it’s exhaust in your chest from the pits when it went down the front stretch.

Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS vs. SS 1LE // Chasing a Unicorn // Road America 2024

We had planned on going again in Oct, but the wife decided to buy another boat, so next year.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]
What weekend was this? Was it when the RS had the big incident?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Makes you wonder if Chevy/GM partly killed the Camaro off (again) because its performance was too close to the Corvette.
View Quote
I think it had more to do with duplicity. Mustangs don't have another Ford to compete with in the same platform. GM was doing the Camaro & CT4 on the Alpha platform. There's probably more profit margin selling a Cadillac than a Chevy
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]

FJB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

FJB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked prices on used ZL1s, not as bad as I thought it would be, figured nice examples would be expensive with the Camaro being canned.

Still couldn't afford to track it and replace shit all the time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#24]
View Quote

More like they killed it because cost got too close to a Corvette and no one was buying it anymore. The sixth gen is an amazing car, especially the 1LE, but it hasnt sold nearly as well as the fifth gen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GoBlue:
What weekend was this? Was it when the RS had the big incident?
View Quote

May 4-5.

I didn’t hear anything about an RS, but a Z06 hit the inside wall in turn 1 & a Lamborghini bit it at Mitchell Bend.

We won’t talk about my shenanigans at the kink.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

How does the GT350 torque curve compare with the regular Mustang GT torque curve? I ask because before I bought my Camaro SS, I test drove the SS and the Mustang GT. My perception was that the GT had far less low end torque compared to the SS. I had to spin the Mustang engine up farther into the RPM range to really feel the power, as opposed the Camaro, which had tons of torque just off idle. That torque made the Camaro more fun (for me) in everyday normal driving. I would have had to spin the Mustang motor up to have that same experience of power and I think my license would have been in jeopardy. On a track, the considerations are entirely different, of course.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

…as opposed the Camaro, which had tons of torque just off idle. That torque made the Camaro more fun (for me) in everyday normal driving. I would have had to spin the Mustang motor up to have that same experience of power and I think my license would have been in jeopardy. On a track, the considerations are entirely different, of course.
View Quote

I had a ‘21 2SS and it was a blast to drive.  Traded it in a year later when I was finally able to find a ZL1.  That car was amazing for the money ($70k).  Unfortunately, I’m not a road racer, and didn’t really have the desire to learn.  Which was a shame.  The car was much more capable than my skills.  It kinda scared me at times.  Got to 170 once.  Still had 25-30 more to give.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#28]
How does the GT350 torque curve compare with the regular Mustang GT torque curve? I ask because before I bought my Camaro SS, I test drove the SS and the Mustang GT. My perception was that the GT had far less low end torque compared to the SS. I had to spin the Mustang engine up farther into the RPM range to really feel the power, as opposed the Camaro, which had tons of torque just off idle. That torque made the Camaro more fun (for me) in everyday normal driving. I would have had to spin the Mustang motor up to have that same experience of power and I think my license would have been in jeopardy. On a track, the considerations are entirely different, of course.
View Quote

While an S-550 or 650 might be different, my '14 GT is fairly potent down low. It sounds like it, too. People tell me it's one of the best sounding cars they've ever heard (muffler delete but still has resonators). Another thing about this car is the different drive modes it has, which are Advancetrac ON, Sport, and Advancetrac OFF. I may be wrong but it really feels like Sport mode changes not only the steering, but the way the power comes on down low. There's a very noticeable amount of extra power/torque even at idle with Sport mode on. This is the mode I drive in and it's a blast.

I have not tried Advancetrac OFF yet, because, quite frankly, I haven't been in a big enough parking lot to want to chance it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the ZL1 for a reason. It’s a beast when you get on it, while also being easy and comfortable when you just want to cruise.

My Mustang is still fun. But it’s not anywhere as fun as my Zl1 and Viper.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it's pretty well established the ZL1LE will cook the competitive Ford and mopar offerings on a road course (in that order).

I say that as a hellcat challenger owner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:
I think it's pretty well established the ZL1LE will cook the competitive Ford and mopar offerings on a road course (in that order).

I say that as a hellcat challenger owner.
View Quote

It's pretty well established the SS 1LE will do that, too. The 1LE package is the real deal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn, I read El Camino... I'm disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By g300d:

Nice fun run for sure!

Yes, yes it does

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Been to Road America a few times. Tim Allen was racing his Neon last time I was there
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

They have wildly different power bands.
The Gt350 is a OHV 5.2 that rev’s to over 8000 rpm to make its power.   The Camero is a 6.2 pushrod V8 making power under 7000rpm.       Doesn’t sound like much but in regular day to day you will feel the torque of the Camero pretty solid at 2500 rpm and up vs the GT350 over 4000.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread made me search the interwebz for a new 1LE for sale

I’m coming up empty.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
This thread made me search the interwebz for a new 1LE for sale

I’m coming up empty.
View Quote

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623860

Here’s a black 24 with 116 miles on it
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Throttle House did a good review of the new Mustang Dark Horse and compared its lap times to other peer cars, such as the Camaro SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE.

Guess which car was faster on the track?

2024 Mustang Dark Horse // V8 DRAG RACE, Review & Lap Time
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:06:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#39]
Throttle House did a good review of the new Mustang Dark Horse and compared its lap times to other peer cars, such as the Camaro SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE.

Guess which car was faster on the track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mq7gj1bHys
View Quote

I saw that when it came out.

Furd stealerships were gouging people for $75K. Now they want $80K.

I paid $69.5K for my ZL1. New. Window was $70.5K. It had a few less options than my ‘19 had, but a I wanted a new one & to ditch the moon roof. I paid $62K for that one in ‘20 & the dealer gave me more than I paid in trade a year later.

I looked on autotrader & within 300 miles of me there are exactly 9 ZL1’s & 9 Dark Horses.

A used Dark horse for $60K, with 5K miles. So the poor sucker lost $20K in less than a year.

Meanwhile all the ZL1’s are over what would have probably been window sticker.

There’s a ‘21 ZLE same color as mine for $80K with 3K miles.

As I’ve also said before, it only took Furd 8yrs & an $80K Mustang to match what you could get back in ‘17 for under $50K.

IIRC, the guy in the vids we posted (obviously I know his name, but I’m not going to say it) think he said he paid $52K for his, but I can text him and ask. What’s neat is ours are also the same color.

Moral of the story, Mustangs have become a huge rip off for what you pay.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks to this thread I went looking for a GT350 sound fix and found this.  Nice run, and that sound!

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R 7.27 BTG Nurburgring / Pure sound
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

I paid $69.5K for my ZL1. New. Window was $70.5K. It had a few less options than my ‘19 had, but a I wanted a new one & to ditch the moon roof. I paid $62K for that one in ‘20 & the dealer gave me more than I paid in trade a year later.

A used Dark horse for $60K, with 5K miles. So the poor sucker lost $20K in less than a year.

As I’ve also said before, it only took Furd 8yrs & an $80K Mustang to match what you could get back in ‘17 for under $50K.

View Quote

So you're saying it's terrible that new Darkhorses cost too much when compared to new Camaros. OK got it.

Then you say in the same post that it's such a great thing that used Camaros go for so much more than used Mustangs.

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

I looked on autotrader & within 300 miles of me there are exactly 9 ZL1’s & 9 Dark Horses.

IIRC, the guy in the vids we posted (obviously I know his name, but I’m not going to say it) think he said he paid $52K for his, but I can text him and ask. What’s neat is ours are also the same color.

View Quote

My 21 only has 8k on it. I’ve considered selling it just because they have held their value well and it may be time to just let it go. Perfect condition and stock + clear bra and tint.

Less toys and the 75K I could probably get would just go back into an investment account.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#43]

So you're saying it's terrible that new Darkhorses cost too much when compared to new Camaros. OK got it.

Then you say in the same post that it's such a great thing that used Camaros go for so much more than used Mustangs.

View Quote

I think what he’s saying is that mustangs were overpriced and lost value quickly.

Camaros were a better buy $ for $ and held their value.

Both cars have their upsides and downsides. My Mustang is falling apart and has some very low build quality. And I’ve also owned a 2018 Camaro ZL1 that was bought back my GM as a lemon.

I still own one from all of the big three. It will take an act of God to get me to sell the Viper. Mustang and Camaro… meh. Not so much.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#44]
In for the New Balance and jorts….
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
In for the New Balance and jorts….
View Quote

This isn’t a corvette thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#46]
The GT350 is ultimately the better long term buy.  In 20 years the GT350 will be a classic while the SS just won’t.  Not saying they aren’t great cars they just won’t hold their value or be seen as something desirable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By sanausnol:
The GT350 is ultimately the better long term buy.  In 20 years the GT350 will be a classic while the SS just won’t.  Not saying they aren’t great cars they just won’t hold their value or be seen as something desirable.
View Quote

You may be right. Or not. I don't really know. The first Mustang I ever rode in was in 1965 and belonged to my aunt and uncle. I like them. I had a roach of a 1969 Camaro in the early 1980s - basic, straight 6. It was good to me. Gave it to a buddy when he needed a car.

In 2016 (1st year of the most recent generation), I bought a 2SS fairly loaded. Black on black. 455hp, 455 tq. Massive torque and power just above idle that really didn't let up as the engine spun faster, although this was on the street, not a track, so maybe not so on a track. REALLY a fun car to drive. The magnetic suspension was really good and the chassis was poised no matter what. For me, and my modest means, it was a garage queen.

Five years into ownership and 20-some-odd thousand miles of driving, I sold it to an online vendor for about 91% of what I paid for it.  Getting to sanausnol's point about value, I expected the value of a Camaro, even as nice as this one was, to drop like a stone. I never expected to get much out of it, and for that reason figured I would keep it forever. But, people all around were talking about what stupid prices used cars were fetching, so I checked around and when I got that 91% offer, I grabbed it, figuring that if used car prices ever regained their sanity, I would buy another one or maybe a Corvette. I'm in no hurry to replace the Camaro; between my Jeep and my WRX I have fun options. I think I am seeing some softening of used prices, but certainly not enough to make me want to take action.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I would love to pick up a 1LE, but cannot get past the horrible vision out the side windows.  Sat in one a few years ago at a dealership after hearing all the complaining about it and could see what people were meaning.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I love my 1le and it's an absolute monster on track for what I paid for it. Had a few instructors drive it on track and they all raved about it. One of my first track days I had the instructor yelling slow down in my ear, made the corner, and his next comment was "ok I was wrong this thing grips, get after it, I'll shut up now"
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By NIevo:

I would love to pick up a 1LE, but cannot get past the horrible vision out the side windows.  Sat in one a few years ago at a dealership after hearing all the complaining about it and could see what people were meaning.
View Quote

Non issue. It seems like it at first. You learn to use to mirrors and the rearview camera. The camera they put in is amazing and makes the view like you’re driving a convertible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top