Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The funniest bit is when posters still think Capt. Miller blew the tank up with his sidearm.  It got bombed by an airplane.  But a lot of people still don't get it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is an interview with John Milius from around 2001  on the web,

he talks about SPR and how dumb a lot of the story is .  I recall some of it .  like  " why didn't they just blow the bridge and leave?  a few dozen guys going to hold a bridge against a bunch of tigers? and they blow it anyway"

He mention some guy he knew who was in vietnam telling him if he had been one of them he would have just shot tom hanks character   blew the bridge and left lol

He also  mentioned some of the cheap cheesey cliches the film pulled to get the audience to be invested in the story but  make very little sense after you think about it

the charge on the radar dish  was pretty fucking retarded for instance
View Quote
the Bridge scene was a remake of a German film.  Where Germans were defending it from the US.  not seen that one yet, so not sure how much they kept but there is another interview where they show clips of it and several of the scenes are really close.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The point of the scene was to show how selfless the medics could be. He wanted to be close enough to his buddies that he could treat them as quickly as possible.
Yeah they should have split the force and let the sniper initiate contact and then killed the gun crew off. But they needed wade to die to create conflict. It's a movie.
View Quote
true, the scene after not have happened if it was upham that bought it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about the scene when the soldier’s helmet deflects a round.  Then he takes it off to remark at his fortune “whew that was close” and then predictably he immediately takes a round between the eyes.

That is campiness.
View Quote
Or the radio operator. When Hanks is barking out what to send. And he turns him over. No face.  Hysterical.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Weird.  Lots of veterans that were on the beaches that day thought it was realistic.  Which beach did you land on?

http://oralhistoryaudiobooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/five-d-day-veterans-talkin-saving.html?m=1

https://www.uni-due.de/~lan500/movies/ryan/content/veterans.htm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the whole movie is hollywood nonsense
Weird.  Lots of veterans that were on the beaches that day thought it was realistic.  Which beach did you land on?

http://oralhistoryaudiobooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/five-d-day-veterans-talkin-saving.html?m=1

https://www.uni-due.de/~lan500/movies/ryan/content/veterans.htm
Without the D-Day landing scene, I doubt SPR would have held up through the years as well as it has.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I couldn’t tell if I was watching the Three Stooges a Marx brothers film or a movie.

And that my friends is sarcasm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is the OP a retarde?
View Quote
Is that french?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That movie made me say “holy fuck” more times than any previous war movie.
View Quote
Never been to war, but my Korean War vet father (a medic) agreed to see the film in the theater with me when it came out.

His only critique was: "The wounds were too clean, but the rest looked real. Especially that part where he zoned out and could not hear."

Got dust in my eyes after he said that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What is 'campy' ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How about during the D-Day landing when the guy with the leg blown off thought one of the guys was going to help him but he just grabbed the ammo belt from around his neck and took off?

That was campy as hell.
View Quote
Do you know what "campy" means or are you just being weird on purpose as usual?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just about every WW2 movie I watch, eventually I notice the actors' perfect teeth.  In the 1940s, I'd bet most guys had never been to a dentist before they enlisted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, Matt Damon with his Good Will Hunting character and perfectly straightened, Crest whitened teeth was awful in the role.
Just about every WW2 movie I watch, eventually I notice the actors' perfect teeth.  In the 1940s, I'd bet most guys had never been to a dentist before they enlisted.  
My dad had perfect teeth at enlistment a couple years after WW2 (Korean war). He is from a farm in Alabama. Barring good genetics, the reason his teeth were perfect at enlistment is likely because his family was so poor the only sugar available went into the still or he might get sorghum on a biscuit on Sunday. He and the siblings might get some candy on trips to town.

I was around a lot of WW2 vets in my young days. I recall a good many had military issued gold teeth. My first boss had two in front. I asked about the gold. He told me the Navy dentists fixed everybody's teeth. They'd fixed three in his mouth and pulled one. Funny thing is he said that since the war he'd had regular dental visits throughout his life and the gold repairs never had to be worked on and he never got another cavity. He was in his early sixties when I knew him.  A carpenter in our shop was a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge. He also had one gold tooth that was WW2 issue.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
OP is a psycho.

Everything he sees as "campy" was meant to convey the horror of war.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Today op learned a new word and started a thread in gd with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How about during the D-Day landing when the guy with the leg blown off thought one of the guys was going to help him but he just grabbed the ammo belt from around his neck and took off?

That was campy as hell.
View Quote
How about the guy at the landing without an arm that was staggering around?  And then he bent down and picked up an arm?  Then dropped it and picked it up again?

Campy as hell, right?

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The funniest bit is when posters still think Capt. Miller blew the tank up with his sidearm.  It got bombed by an airplane.  But a lot of people still don't get it.
View Quote
The tank was on not one, but TWO treadmills, and a plane was involved. The issue can never be resolved in GD
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As a Christian, you should know all about trying to live up to a standard that you can never achieve, and for "earning" what you have been given. Luke 12:48
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole "Earn this" thing ruined it for me. It instantly turned a great movie into a Hollywood cheeseball.
This! Sets the guy up to live up to a standard he could never possibly achieve. Poor old guy has to get validation from his wife at the end; doesn't even know decades after the war if he's been a good enough boy to "earn" being spared.

As a Christian it flies in the face of my personal outlook on life. It's totally stupid.
As a Christian, you should know all about trying to live up to a standard that you can never achieve, and for "earning" what you have been given. Luke 12:48
I know all about the impossible standards I set for others, how I've made my wife, for instance, feel at times as though nothing she does is ever good enough. It's what people do to each other.

Tom Hanks was just as much a sinner as Matt Damon, and while the former's deeds were noble, he had no right to ask the latter to earn anything.

Christ was perfect, his sacrifice sufficient, so we therefore owe obedience to him and him only.

Now, if Tom Hanks had read Luke 12:41-48 to Matt Damon, and Matt Damon's question at the end had been, "have I been a faithful and sensible steward", that would have been one thing, but that isn't what happened. Tom, as I see it, told Ryan to conform to his idea of a life well-lived, and we're not supposed to do that.

Jesus didn't say, "look at the sacrifice I made for you, now go and earn this." How much more, as humans, should we avoid saying it to others?

Just my two cents
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Without the D-Day landing scene, I doubt SPR would have held up through the years as well as it has.
View Quote
SPR at the time was a cinematic game changing event. Everyone was blown away when it came out. 20 years later and it still holds up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see what you did there! Well played, sir! Well played!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know all about the impossible standards I set for others, how I've made my wife, for instance, feel at times as though nothing she does is ever good enough. It's what people do to each other.

Tom Hanks was just as much a sinner as Matt Damon, and while the former's deeds were noble, he had no right to ask the latter to earn anything.

Christ was perfect, his sacrifice sufficient, so we therefore owe obedience to him and him only.

Now, if Tom Hanks had read Luke 12:41-48 to Matt Damon, and Matt Damon's question at the end had been, "have I been a faithful and sensible steward", that would have been one thing, but that isn't what happened. Tom, as I see it, told Ryan to conform to his idea of a life well-lived, and we're not supposed to do that.

Jesus didn't say, "look at the sacrifice I made for you, now go and earn this." How much more, as humans, should we avoid saying it to others?

Just my two cents
View Quote
Wait, all these years I thought Saving Private Ryan was a war movie.  Now you're saying it's supposed to be a Christian story or something?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wait, all these years I thought Saving Private Ryan was a war movie.  Now you're saying it's supposed to be a Christian story or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my two cents
I'm saying that that particular theme is opposite in polarity to the Christian worldview, which certainly isn't an unusual thing in movies
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the Bridge scene was a remake of a German film.  Where Germans were defending it from the US.  not seen that one yet, so not sure how much they kept but there is another interview where they show clips of it and several of the scenes are really close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is an interview with John Milius from around 2001  on the web,

he talks about SPR and how dumb a lot of the story is .  I recall some of it .  like  " why didn't they just blow the bridge and leave?  a few dozen guys going to hold a bridge against a bunch of tigers? and they blow it anyway"

He mention some guy he knew who was in vietnam telling him if he had been one of them he would have just shot tom hanks character   blew the bridge and left lol

He also  mentioned some of the cheap cheesey cliches the film pulled to get the audience to be invested in the story but  make very little sense after you think about it

the charge on the radar dish  was pretty fucking retarded for instance
Die Brucke?

I can see that. I've seen both versions and that makes some sense.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I didn’t call the things or events campy. I am saying the movie depicted these events with campiness.

I think we are in such awe over the subject matter, and rightly so, that it clouds the way we judge the film.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent the better part of 20 years reading books on D day. I can tell you that probably 100% of the "campy" scenes came from a direct recounting from someone that was there and saw it. While watching the beach scene I remember thinking "I remember reading about that".

So although you think those things were campy, they were also things that actually happened to real people.
I didn’t call the things or events campy. I am saying the movie depicted these events with campiness.

I think we are in such awe over the subject matter, and rightly so, that it clouds the way we judge the film.
Well, this seems to be getting consistently sillier:

"SPR is campy!"

"WTF?"

"I meant some of the scenes in it are campy"

"I've read a lot of books recounting D-Day and WWII, and many of the scenes you singled out, actually happened"

"No, I meant some scenes were depicted with campiness"

So, depicting things that actually happened, very likely by young men/boys in shock from their first ever encounter in real combat is campy?

Did you think the guy flexing his almost blown-off arm, near the end of 13 Hours was campy too? People in shock do weird shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#23]
From a relative that was in the first landing wave on Omaha beach.

They were dropped short and were trying to make it to the beach.
He spotted a fellow soldier clinging to an anti-tank obstacle. To avoid drowning or being shot, he pulled the guy off, took his place,  and held on for dear life. Other soldiers tried to do the same to him, but failed.
Campy, right?

Or another time while moving thru hedge rows he saw a soldier crouched down but peeking over a hedge. He told him to get down and get moving multiple times with no response. Finally he went to go grab him thinking he had froze up.
When he got there and turned the guy, the soldier fell over. It was then he saw the bullet hole in the guy's forehead.
More Hollywood camp?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just my two cents
View Quote
Good grief...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never been to war, but my Korean War vet father (a medic) agreed to see the film in the theater with me when it came out.

His only critique was: "The wounds were too clean, but the rest looked real. Especially that part where he zoned out and could not hear."  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watching SPR in the theater with a THX Reference sound system, THAT part of the Omaha beach scene sent chills down my spine.

It's the first movie I can recall, depicting the effects of shock like that. Going from the extremelybnb loud, constant barrage of sound, screams, and explosions, to that muffled "Eeeee", underwater muffled sound... Wow...

I've watched SPR at friends' houses, vs watching it in my HT with a THX Reference calibrated sound system. I just don't get the same impact, without the difference from 90-100+db, to the suddenly quiet muffled droning.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good grief...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my two cents
Good grief...
Where does survivor guilt come from? Does it not come from someone doing an act for you that you could never reciprocate? An act that you will likely never do for anyone else as long as you live? Then Hollywood has to go and add a campy (yes, campy) 'earn this', so that Ryan has it explicitly stated that he is to try and do something he can't possibly do, i.e. earn the ultimate sacrifice of his brothers in arms.

How is he supposed to earn it? Saving a bag of drowning puppies from the river? Not shagging anyone other than his old lady? He certainly can't go around dying for everyone, so when does he know that he's earned it?

He doesn't, and he knows he never will. Internally his life has been a downward spriral of guilt as he tries in vain to outdo the last good deed with a better one. He has grown into an upstanding man to the outside world, but inside his shortcomings have made him a wreck. This is why he has to ask his woman to tell him what he needs to hear at the end. Of course she's going to oblige, but the truth is that he was sinful at birth, and that without the blood of Christ he's just as bad off as an old man. All his wife can do is use her own measuring stick and declare him good enough in her own mind. The validation of the wife is great, but she certainly can't make a decisive judgement on whether he has earned it or not. Ever. Do you think he got back on the plane after decades of uncertainly and thought, "well, that settles it." I don't.

This is why Christianity works, and trying to live up to the expectations of man doesn't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Watching SPR in the theater with a THX Reference sound system, THAT part of the Omaha beach scene sent chills down my spine.

It's the first movie I can recall, depicting the effects of shock like that. Going from the extremelybnb loud, constant barrage of sound, screams, and explosions, to that muffled "Eeeee", underwater muffled sound... Wow...

I've watched SPR at friends' houses, vs watching it in my HT with a THX Reference calibrated sound system. I just don't get the same impact, without the difference from 90-100+db, to the suddenly quiet muffled droning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The WWII veteran relative I related stories from said the beach scene in SPR was the closest to getting it right out of any movie.

My dad and I got to the movie later than intended and we had to sit in the front row.
When the shooting started I almost hit the floor.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
About the only thing that bugged me about SPR was the guys constantly charging their weapons over and over, as if using the
sound/motion as a punctuation mark.

Having said that, one can definitely  see how Hollywood learned how to make a war movie between SPR and BoB.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#29]
OP,  your thread sucks.  Like a campy kind of sucking.  Go somewhere and feel shame.

I'm going to help you, here are the hot granddaughters:

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah the SPR knife fight scene has me laughing hysterically every time.  
View Quote
Weird coincidence but my reaction to that scene made some guys in my squad mad once.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You laugh or cry.

I got a chuckle out of the guy looking for his arm on the beach. IIRC that was a true event that they decided to put in the script. People do weird things under stress.
View Quote
I heard the guy that took a round to the helmet and pulled it off in like a WTF moment then took a head shot really happened too, whether it happened or not I don’t know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This! Sets the guy up to live up to a standard he could never possibly achieve. Poor old guy has to get validation from his wife at the end; doesn't even know decades after the war if he's been a good enough boy to "earn" being spared.

As a Christian it flies in the face of my personal outlook on life. It's totally stupid.
View Quote
His grand daughters were hot as fuck.  I will give him that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just my two cents
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole "Earn this" thing ruined it for me. It instantly turned a great movie into a Hollywood cheeseball.

Just my two cents
Capt.Miller didn't like the mission to begin with. Most of his "squad" had been killed, and now he was fatally wounded. As a high school teacher and baseball coach, he was used to lecturing younger guys. I think he was basically telling Pvt.Ryan that the lives lost in getting him back home had better be worth it. I'm not offended by that.

FWIW, lots of WWII vets spent the rest of their lives wondering why they survived and others didn't. My dad was probably one of them. My FIL was one of only two guys to get out of his B-17 alive. He might have wondered about that too but I never asked him or any other WWII vets.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've always found it interesting how people point out inaccuracies in films depending on their specialties. I'm usually noticing gun or aviation blunders, but you could probably put an M48 tank in a WWII movie and I wouldn't even notice
View Quote
Ever seen the movie Patton
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For REAL comedy, watch Schindler's List.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always found it interesting how people point out inaccuracies in films depending on their specialties. I'm usually noticing gun or aviation blunders, but you could probably put an M48 tank in a WWII movie and I wouldn't even notice
Yes.

Should I be embarrassed?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:29:38 AM EDT
[#37]
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#38]
My great-uncle Bob said the opening landing scene in SPR was hands down the most realistic portrayal of an amphibious landing he'd ever seen in a movie, and he'd know since Omaha Beach was his third (after Gela, Sicily for Husky and Oran, Algeria for Torch) of the war. He was in the 1st Infantry, 16th RCT for Overlord and they took around 50% casualties during the initial landings. He thought the rest of the movie was fairly silly though because,"Shit didn't happen like that." But even the stuff he thought was dumb/wrong, he didn't think was "campy."

He also thought that When Trumpets Fade did the best job of any Hollywood movie at showing how brutal combat in the ETO was for the average infantryman, and especially the ones "lucky" enough to fight in Hurtgen Forest; his hair turned snow white there when he was the ripe old age of 21. His favorite WWII movie, even though he pointed out all the technical faults, was The Big Red One because he said it actually captured the way the guys felt and interacted with one another.

He was an honest to God American badass, and I miss the hell out of him and his stories; even though my mom used to get cranky at him when we were kids and would ask about the war and he'd start with something like,"D-Day was a bitch, the motherfucking krauts had so many goddamn machineguns..." "Uncle Bob!" "Sorry, where was I..."
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Capt.Miller didn't like the mission to begin with. Most of his "squad" had been killed, and now he was fatally wounded. As a high school teacher and baseball coach, he was used to lecturing younger guys. I think he was basically telling Pvt.Ryan that the lives lost in getting him back home had better be worth it. I'm not offended by that.

FWIW, lots of WWII vets spent the rest of their lives wondering why they survived and others didn't. My dad was probably one of them. My FIL was one of only two guys to get out of his B-17 alive. He might have wondered about that too but I never asked him or any other WWII vets.
View Quote
I look at the comment by Ryan about Miller being that we should all be worthy of the sacrifices made by our veterans.  I don't think it was any more complicated than that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck corporal Upham..

Fuck his character, Fuck the person who played him..

Now I’m pissed off.. every time I hear of this movie I watch that scene in my head and get totally pissed off.

Thank you OP for pissing me off.
View Quote
This. His character ruined the movie for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck corporal Upham..

Fuck his character, Fuck the person who played him..

Now I’m pissed off.. every time I hear of this movie I watch that scene in my head and get totally pissed off.

Thank you OP for pissing me off.
Upham was a draftee clerk/typist, and never claimed to be anything else. He even tried to warn Capt. Miller that he wasn't up to the job, but Capt. Miller assured Upham that since he'd qualified with the M1, he'd do fine, or something like that.
In another SPR thread, a poster said that a WWII combat vet (dad or uncle) told him that "there were lots of Uphams" in the war. I don't doubt that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I like the way the sniper scoped changed from a Lyman M81 to a Unertl.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Technically it was campy.  I'll see myself out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For REAL comedy, watch Schindler's List.
Technically it was campy.  I'll see myself out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just my two cents
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my two cents
If you are admitting this then I think you better get a handle on it before we read about your "Arfcom curse" that came up out of the blue.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

FFS OP
View Quote
I have to agree.  I think the OP has a twisted sense of humor.  I didn't find any of those instances "campy".  I bet he's a  riot at parties
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP,  your thread sucks.  Like a campy kind of sucking.  Go somewhere and feel shame.

I'm going to help you, here are the hot granddaughters:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-djC4kpuUoko/UO8aLMtBD9I/AAAAAAAAXLY/DncxcnitqZU/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-12-20+at+1.33.38+AM.png
https://snusercontent.global.ssl.fastly.net/member-profile-full/98/38798_3590174.jpg
View Quote
I believe you are referring to Heidi Marnhout.
She has a fantastic scene in Bubba Hotep!
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Amazing how many pessimistic, old, angry retards are on this website lmao
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Campy? Only the pillow fights seemed campy to me. The rest was filled with over the top cliches. That tends to be a problem Spielberg has.

The acting was generally average to awful.

The movie doesn't hold up over time, for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#50]
SPR is a 20 year old movie.  I suspect some of those scenes would be done differently today.  That doesn't make them campy.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top