Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Spam, try a bunch of their variations. Good toasted on bread, in ramen, in scrambled eggs, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used one of those on a field deployment. It works surprisingly well. Last time I used one of those aluminum mini loaf pans and heated up hot dogs with it. Didn't take long at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you cook the DAK ham or try to eat it out of the can? DAK's were part of my winter emergency food supply on my semi. Heat up some DAK in my lunch box cooker, make a bag of Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, and crack open a can a can of veggies while watching the snow or ice pile up on the closed interstate is hard to beat. One of my O/O was running with me and we shut down at a WV weigh station in a snowstorm, I brought him a plate of that and he was in awe. His dinner was going to be vienna sausages.

Cold out of the can.  And what is a lunch box cooker?  

I'll absolutely be trying SPAM.....DAK, I'd have to lose a bet.  

Thanks
This is like a 12v mini oven. It takes a while to cook raw meat, but I've made roasts, eggs and sausage, etc in it. In my beginning trucking days, it would take about 6 hours or so to cook a Jennie-O frozen turkey roast. Pop the frozen brick in and 6 hours later, better than truckstop food. The gelatinous goop on a DAK is nasty and needs to be melted off. I've eaten spam cooked and not cooked. I much prefer fried Spam. My parents would make spam salad. Grate spam on a grater, mix in mayo and chopped pickle or relish, put on bread like tuna.
Lunch box cooker that can be bought in most truckstops

I used one of those on a field deployment. It works surprisingly well. Last time I used one of those aluminum mini loaf pans and heated up hot dogs with it. Didn't take long at all.
Yep mini loaf pans or heavy duty aluminum foil fashioned into a liner is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Corned beef
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Not canned and I'm not really sure it's meat but it does taste good.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Corned beef from the Asian stores
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Vienna sausages are pretty damn great
View Quote

Especially when the can is cold and the juice has turned to jelly.
Put that stuff on a cracker and eat it like an oyster.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just dump it out of the can, cut it into 1/4" to 1/2" slices and fry it in butter until golden brown or even crispier.

So good.
View Quote

For variety add brown sugar and pineapple and eat like it was ham.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Anything is good if you're hungry enough.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#10]
dont know that it really counts as meat

but I used to throw a couple cans of this and a pack of crackers in a backpack when I would go camping for a few days as a backup plan if I didnt catch or kill anything.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anything is good if you're hungry enough.
View Quote

Always follow the Marcia Felgar rule of fine dining:
"Get em' high and keep em' waiting."
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
They are all ok in my book but I am easy to please.

I did try something last week with canned chicken breast.  I bought Chicken Alfredo Hamburger helper and made it with the canned chicken for my son and me.  It was really good, surprisingly good.  

I have always considered canned meat as a filler or stretcher for mixing with other ingredients.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Spam is fantastic.  I had it for dinner last night.
View Quote

Hmmm, you just reminded me that I have SPAM in the pantry.  Might have to slice some up for a lunch sandwich.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They are all ok in my book but I am easy to please.

I did try something last week with canned chicken breast.  I bought Chicken Alfredo Hamburger helper and made it with the canned chicken for my son and me.  It was really good, surprisingly good.  

I have always considered canned meat as a filler or stretcher for mixing with other ingredients.
View Quote

+1

Canned chicken is my go-to to add some quick protein to a meal.  It’s really good with some taco seasoning on it as well.  My wife thought it was gross but my kids liked it.

I need to try the latest selection of spam and see what other canned meats the grocery store has to add variety to my stash.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL at inflation  Thanks Brandon!

You guys mentioned Keystone meats in an earlier post so I went online to look at it, best price was at WalMart, the beef was $7.74 for 28 oz can, while I was looking at the screen it refreshed, and the new price is $8.97
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I remember hearing some grocery vendors joke that Spam was the closest thing to human flesh you will ever eat.
View Quote

No it's not.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The wife will not buy it but fried spam is one of my favorite foods. Crispy fried slices of spam on white bread with mayo and salt and pepper. I think I like it because my Maw-Maw would fix it for me as a kid.
View Quote

You add salt to Spam?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spam is fantastic.  I had it for dinner last night.
View Quote

Too bad they don't have as many flavors since the WUFLU caused them to streamline production lines.

I've used up the last of my jalapeno and chorizo Spam.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

The Sams Club version isn't bad if you are mixing it with something..  It is a little bland since it is only chicken, water, and salt...nothing else.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Dak ham, I wasn't impressed with.

Polar fish: best deals I've found is on Amazon. The salmon is excellent. Surprisingly good.

Libby's corned beef is the best ime. It is best if you heat it up and drain the grease. Our favorite dish is the beef, can or jar of kraut, some thousand island, and Swiss cheese. Mix together and bake. Reuben dip. We use rye toast, but works with whatever ya got. It's very good.

Kirkland stuff is good. Kroger brand is, too.

With canned meats, you're kind of resigned to using it for other dishes. Salads. Casseroles. Dips. Mixed in with stuff like the Knorr noodles or rice packs. One of the beefs is in a gravy. Along with instant mashed potatoes, canned peas and carrots, it makes a passable shepherds pie pantry dish.

Don't overlook making your own jerky (if beef ever goes back down) and storing in mylar with oxygen absorbers. Make sure you get the jerky way dry, not like the chewy stuff you buy. It'll keep very well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Referring to store-bought here.  In my experience, canned meat is pretty gnarly.  Rarely tastes like that type of meat and never good.  Canned tuna....ok.  Canned chicken...tastes like canned tuna.  Canned beef....tasted more like nasty chicken.  Once tried a DAK ham and almost puked.  Wife and I both agreed we'd tuck any others away for the apocalypse.  Years back another ARF.comer said we'd suck that gel on top of the ham up like it was ambrosia if we had nothing else to eat.

Anyway, are there any canned meats out there that people actually enjoy, crave, and eat on a regular or semi-regular basis??

Thanks!
View Quote

Werling and sons. Excellent taste and seletion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Dinty Moore beef stew is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]
No love for canned octopus? It was surprisingly good.

Corn beef hash and deviled ham is good to go.

Canned chicken can be made I to passable eating.

None of it is high art but it beats being hungry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1

Canned chicken is my go-to to add some quick protein to a meal.  It’s really good with some taco seasoning on it as well.  My wife thought it was gross but my kids liked it.

I need to try the latest selection of spam and see what other canned meats the grocery store has to add variety to my stash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

I make quesadillas with canned chicken about once a week.  It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's pretty hard to beat for a five minute meal.

Costco sells (or used to sell) shredded pork in a can.  Toss in a little BBQ sauce and it makes a pretty good sandwich.

Quoted:
Werling and sons. Excellent taste and seletion.

Yup.  I can't find Keystone products, and couldn't order them either.  I bought a mixed case from Werling and Sons and so far I like everything enough to buy it again.  The last time I drove north to see family in Ohio I took a 40 minute side trip so I could buy direct from their store.  Prices were pretty damn reasonable since no shipping is involved, so I picked up a couple of flats of beef, pork, and bacon.  IIRC, bacon is not available on the website; I was pretty surprised to see it on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LOL at inflation  Thanks Brandon!

You guys mentioned Keystone meats in an earlier post so I went online to look at it, best price was at WalMart, the beef was $7.74 for 28 oz can, while I was looking at the screen it refreshed, and the new price is $8.97
View Quote

You gotta keep an eye on a few sources; i've never paid more than $4.86/can (early 2020)
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice ! Will try that. Here's one from me;

Thai chicken curry;
 Buy some Mae Ploy Thai masman/panang/green/yellow curry Paste
 One can of dollar tree coconut milk
 Add 1/2 chopped (or dried chopped) onion
 Add a good squidge of curry paste
 Add a sweetener packet or a little sugar
 Heat and stir until paste is dissolved
 Add a drained can of chicken (Costco's is best), or like half a pound of chopped chicken
 Simmer until cooked
 Add a teaspoon of flour to thicken
 Serve with jasmine rice
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top