Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's completely made up by the church. Nonsense.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Protestant here.  Catholics come across as bead rubbing idolaters. The holy water ranks up there with a miter, incense and a penalty box to confess in.

I don’t need that or candles to talk to Jesus. I don’t need the ceremony or the sodomites with their finery. I talk to the boss directly without intercession.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is stupid. It's basically just asking if people are Catholic or not.

You could do a similar thread on prayer rugs, and surprise, surprise, nobody will find them important outside of Muslims.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask a Catholic is where you find you answer. Maybe it substitutes for the foot washing Jesus did for the disciples at the Last Supper/Communion got. I'm not qualified, just bored for a good thread.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait, that little dish of water isn't for washing the sweat off your nutsack?  Shit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a hard time taking religious queues from a dude who let's other dudes rail his wife.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If that is not a meme in the making I do not know what is....
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a hard time taking religious queues from a dude who let's other dudes rail his wife.

View Quote

Wait...wut?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
They were running a sale on holy water, it was half off like alter boys pants.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep a Super Soaker filled with Holy Water, in case of Vampires.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Religion and holy water are as much farces as UFOs, ghosts, vampires, and leprechauns.  People will believe anything if you scare them enough.
Fight me!
View Quote

I'll pray for you instead.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Protestant here.  Catholics come across as bead rubbing idolaters. The holy water ranks up there with a miter, incense and a penalty box to confess in.

I don't need that or candles to talk to Jesus. I don't need the ceremony or the sodomites with their finery. I talk to the boss directly without intercession.
View Quote
I realized after surfing this site I'm quit ignorant of other peoples beliefs so I just google them.  Holy water is partially for baptizing and partly for protection from evil. My denomination just uses uses prayer for that since God says to to it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I never see Catholics mocking Baptists, Lutherans, Episcopalians or Born again Christians...however I can't say the same for the reverse.

And somehow this board will give you a warning for mocking an entire religious group with the sole exception of Catholics
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't need that or candles to talk to Jesus. I don't need the ceremony or the sodomites with their finery. I talk to the boss directly without intercession.
View Quote
So do I.   < Catholic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The thread is posted in GD not the Religion forum. Yes, the rules a not quite the same but common courtesy and the golden rule applies. One learns that in the Religion forum.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don’t need that or candles to talk to Jesus. I don’t need the ceremony or the sodomites with their finery. I talk to the boss directly without intercession.
View Quote

Curious what you make of Acts 19:12, "So that even there were brought from his body to the sick, handkerchiefs and aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the wicked spirits went out of them."

If God wrought miracles by the hand of St. Paul through handkerchiefs, why could He not do the same through blessed water?

ETA: I can see why an atheist might scoff at the concept, but I don't see why a Christian would.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's completely made up by the church. Nonsense.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I quenched a knife in it one time just because I had access to some.  Not really sure why.  Because I didn't have one yet maybe?  For hunting skinwalkers?  Either way, I have that now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I cant tell you how much you are wrong.  Damn man, you need to really look at what you just said.  As a very strong Catholic, this is just fucked up.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
No such thing, but everyone is free to believe whatever superstition they want.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OP responded to this in a serious way?
View Quote

Many of our Arfcom brethren are humor impaired.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In before Catholics aren’t Christian
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In before Catholics aren’t Christian

Quoted:
Being Christian it means nothing to me but I can understand the use of it to comfort those who believe in it.

Good timing!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread is stupid. It's basically just asking if people are Catholic or not.

You could do a similar thread on prayer rugs, and surprise, surprise, nobody will find them important outside of Muslims.
View Quote

But it gives noncatholic shitbirds an excuse to pump up their pathetically fragile egos and self esteem by showing how they worship God so much better than those papal mackerel snappers!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have never seen a vampire in a Catholic church.
View Quote

Valid point
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They were running a sale on holy water, it was half off like alter boys pants.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#28]
My mom had a weird hang up with Catholics. She was raised they would kill the Protestants and demonic forces were just under the surfaces of those various types of robes.....yet, when her sister came to visit or she was picking my dad up from work we ended up going into one of those beautiful cathedrals. We would go just inside until our eyes adjusted to the dark and be able to see the beauty. I noticed this round stone bowl with water in it. I put my hands in it. My mom freaked out like I'd just drank milk from Satan's cow.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My mom had a weird hang up with Catholics. She was raised they would kill the Protestants and demonic forces were just under the surfaces of those various types of robes.....yet, when her sister came to visit or she was picking my dad up from work we ended up going into one of those beautiful cathedrals. We would go just inside until our eyes adjusted to the dark and be able to see the beauty. I noticed this round stone bowl with water in it. I put my hands in it. My mom freaked out like I'd just drank milk from Satan's cow.

View Quote

??

The first really ornate Catholic Church I saw was in the Podunk town of New Waverly, TX. It was beautiful. Dad said the German and Polish farmers were very generous with their tithing. We lived in Huntsville at the time and our church was a very basic wood frame structure. More of a chapel. And the priest came from New Waverly to say mass. The only Catholic Churches I had seen before that were on military bases.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Holy water can work.
Some of it is belief and the other is god.

The Russian Orthodox cut a cross in the rivers and lakes here to bless it and get holy water.
View Quote

Can work for quenching your thirst.  Beyond that....no.  Just stop to think about how ridiculous what you just said is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Religion and holy water are as much farces as UFOs, ghosts, vampires, and leprechauns.  People will believe anything if you scare them enough.
Fight me!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Is there any credible documentation that holy water burns when applied to a possessed person? Or is that just folklore?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fight me!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Vampires, mummies and the Holy Ghost,
These are the things that terrify me the most.

Jimmy Buffett ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I want holy heavy water.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#36]

That was such a great movie, seems to have been all but forgotten.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just signs of faith.  It's like Jews blessing food to make it Kosher or Halal food for Muslims (no pork/lizards).

But since it's Christian (especially Catholic), it's acceptable to publicly ridicule.
View Quote

I can't claim to be a particularly politically correct type, but I AM an inquisitive, logical type.

I knew two Muslims in college, that had different practices. One would only buy and eat chicken (meat?) that was halal. The other was fine with buying non-halal chicken, then praying over the non-halal chicken, before it was cooked and eaten.

The one, who refused to eat non-halal chicken, was fine with using communal pots and pans (shared with roommates), as long as they were properly washed first.

The one who would pray over and bless non-halal chicken, absolutely refused to use any pots or pans if they had EVER been previously used for non-halal meat.

After hearing about this and pondering it, I asked them why they didn’t just have the first guy wash the chicken, and the 2nd guy pray over the pots and pans?

No, they didn't try to chop my head off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The phlebotomist who draws my blood once said she could tell that my blood was sanctified or something similar. Can’t remember exactly the word she used. I didn’t know what to say. So I just said Praise God. She is always upbeat and friendly so I was not offended by her comment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never seen a vampire in a Catholic church.

I did see a phlebotomist. That was scary too.

The phlebotomist who draws my blood once said she could tell that my blood was sanctified or something similar. Can’t remember exactly the word she used. I didn’t know what to say. So I just said Praise God. She is always upbeat and friendly so I was not offended by her comment.

Hemolyzed.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, that's pretty sane.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Four nuns die in a car crash and end up at the Pearly Gates where they are met by St. Peter. He says, "Before any of you can enter Heaven, I must ask you a question. Has any part of your body ever touched a man's penis?"
The first nun lowers her eyes and softly replies, "I did touch one with my finger one time." "OK," says St. Peter, "dip your finger in this pail of holy water and you can go inside."
He then asks the second nun, "Has any part of your body ever touched a man's penis?"
The second nun solemnly replies, "Yes, St. Peter, I touched one with my hand one time." "Ok, dip your hand in this pail of holy water and you can go inside," says St. Peter.
St. Peter then turns to the third nun and asks, "Has any part of your body ever touched a man's penis?"
Before she has a chance to answer, the fourth nun pushes the third nun aside and stands in front of St. Peter.
Shocked, St. Peter asks the fourth nun, "What are you doing? Why did you push this other nun aside and cut in front of her?"
"I wanted to get my drink before she has to stick her ass in there!!" replied the fourth nun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Unless it was blessed by Jesus Himself, it's just ordinary H2O.
View Quote
 I think he's more into turning it into wine but I agree in principle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I don’t believe holy water is “holy” or contains any spiritual properties.  But I would never mock anyone’s belief in it though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I hear it makes better lube than regular water.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#44]
If you put Holy Water on a Ouija Board it cancels out and nothing will happen if you use it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Four nuns die in a car crash and end up at the Pearly Gates where they are met by St. Peter. He says, "Before any of you can enter Heaven, I must ask you a question. Has any part of your body ever touched a man's penis?"
The first nun lowers her eyes and softly replies, "I did touch one with my finger one time." "OK," says St. Peter, "dip your finger in this pail of holy water and you can go inside."
He then asks the second nun, "Has any part of your body ever touched a man's penis?"
The second nun solemnly replies, "Yes, St. Peter, I touched one with my hand one time." "Ok, dip your hand in this pail of holy water and you can go inside," says St. Peter.
St. Peter then turns to the third nun and asks, "Has any part of your body ever touched a man's penis?"
Before she has a chance to answer, the fourth nun pushes the third nun aside and stands in front of St. Peter.
Shocked, St. Peter asks the fourth nun, "What are you doing? Why did you push this other nun aside and cut in front of her?"
"I wanted to get my drink before she has to stick her ass in there!!" replied the fourth nun.
View Quote

Good one. Never heard that one before.

But on the topic of nuns.
Are you aware that celibacy and chastity are two separate things? Nuns take a vow of celibacy because they are married to the Church. That is not negotiable.
Chastity on the other hand is easily dealt with in the confession booth.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are your opinions on Muslims.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is not true.

I have personally handed out account warnings to people for attacking Catholics.  I know other mods/staff have as well.

View Quote

Look up

At the several ad hominem attacks on all Catholics.  I don't see edits by mods...
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#48]
The Holy Water theology is another of those issies that puzzles me with regard to certain protestant rhetoric.

It's hardly just a "Catholic" thing.

The Eastern Orthodox have the same understanding, and they split off in 1054.

The Copts have the same concept. And they split off their own way formally in 451, not recognizing the Council of Chalcedon.

The Assyrians have the same concept, and they left 20 years before that, at the Council of Ephesus.

So, what is it?

Did Roman paganism have some sort of powerful hold on the Church even way back when, that not even even Catholics claim, or was it a widely understood "thing" throughout the early Church?

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I realized after surfing this site I'm quit ignorant of other peoples beliefs so I just google them.  Holy water is partially for baptizing and partly for protection from evil. My denomination just uses uses prayer for that since God says to to it.
View Quote

I can think of at least a couple of noteworthy examples of people who were baptized in water in scripture.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Holy water cuts the cheap altar wine so the old Monsignor could chug that shit after mass and not blink when throwing away those flat wafers which were supposedly "body of Christ."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top