Quoted:
Never again will I do that myself.   F spoons
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Changed the tires on my son's KTM 85 today,17/14 inch. Kicked my ass for the better part the day. Pinch popped 3 tubes in th process. My fingers bled, still sore. Never again
View Quote
Are you kidding me? You can almost do them without spoons if there's not rimlocks.

Spooning tires is definitely one of those things that takes more than a few times to figure out how to do it.
Most people do it the wrong way.
Biggest mistake people make is you need to get the whole rim inside the tire before you start spooning, if you don't do that it's gonna kick your ass.

Most tires I can swap in under 10 minutes, I've had a few stiffer sidewall ones that have kicked my ass over the years.
I try to do them on a warm sunny day so I can warm them up as it makes it much easier.
Decent spoons and windex is all you need. I like windex as lube because it evaporates and doesn't leave a mess when you're done.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No whining till you take the bib mousse out of a Husky that doesn't need it anymore. (hint, C-clamps, lots of them,can't use the machine)
Also there's at least one Suzuki and 2 Triumphs that don't have dropped sections on the rim.
$100 labor if you bring me the wheel.
Wanna talk about $90 tubes with proprietary valve stem placement and design  on a Vulcan?
View Quote

This man knows!

Tubed tires are easy!  You haven’t properly bled and cursed until you have changed a tire with a mousse tube in it....especially a 21” front tire on a dirt bike.  Check this video if you don’t know what a mousse bib is.  He makes it look easy but I assure you that it is not haha.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTxG-SnxMI
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Here’s a little video I made of replacing a Mitas E07 Dakar with an E10 Dakar, with just the tools I carry.  Both of these tires are some of the most difficult to change because of the stiff side wall.   Tire changing on the road is an important skill to have.

Replacing a tubeless motorcycle tire on the road
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a No Mar tire changer for several years and it was money well spent.I used it in my motorcycle shop changing everything from atv tires up to the wide tires on custom sportbikes.I think I paid $500 for it at a dealer trade show
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not terrible.  Good spoons and a solid working platform.   Granted, street bike tires suck.  18 rear on my KTM is a monster but can be done in about 30 mins.

I think the key is getting all of the air out of tube / tire and fully breaking the bead before you start.

helpful vid
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
redacted
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don’t have a shop anywhere near me. Plus I figure one day I may not have a choice so I just change them all myself.

View Quote

When I went on a 3 month trip on my KLR650, changing a flat was my biggest fear. I always struggled when I practiced changing a tube. I would invariably pinch the new tube and have to patch and start over. Getting the tire back on was a shit show.

I also have a FJR1300 that I've plugged when I had flats. No problem.

Tubed tires blow!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@DCLXVI

Have you tried Tubliss?
View Quote

I havent only because it seems like the options are limited in 19".

When i get a second set of wheels i will likely go tubeless.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you kidding me? You can almost do them without spoons if there's not rimlocks.

Spooning tires is definitely one of those things that takes more than a few times to figure out how to do it.
Most people do it the wrong way.
Biggest mistake people make is you need to get the whole rim inside the tire before you start spooning, if you don't do that it's gonna kick your ass.

Most tires I can swap in under 10 minutes, I've had a few stiffer sidewall ones that have kicked my ass over the years.
I try to do them on a warm sunny day so I can warm them up as it makes it much easier.
Decent spoons and windex is all you need. I like windex as lube because it evaporates and doesn't leave a mess when you're done.
View Quote

I have seen guys stick em in an open oven to warm em up in winter as well
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the cycle hill tire changer. It doesn't make it effortless, but i certainly don't wanna change them without it
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The only bike I found them to be a real pain on was a 1978 Suzuki GS550E, which used tubed tires on cast street wheels. After tearing a couple of tubes, I said "fuck it" and just took the rims and tires into one of the local places to have them do it for me.

Everything else I've always done myself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#13]
It’s not too bad but it’s game changing when you get a wheel holder so you can change it off the ground and have better leverage
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why not just cut the old tire off?
View Quote
I did.
I  took this..

Off of this..  (look at the front tire, see what I'm up against?)

And had to do this..

1929 Indian 4, last year tagged 1949.

See that gooey red stuff?
That red stuff is the natural rubber innertube.
No spooning that baby off.
Jigsaw a big enough wedge, tin snip the bead.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's a little video I made of replacing a Mitas E07 Dakar with an E10 Dakar, with just the tools I carry.  Both of these tires are some of the most difficult to change because of the stiff side wall.   Tire changing on the road is an important skill to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-761niBDPw
View Quote
I put one of those on the rear of my 950 a few years ago.......went to put the wheel back on the bike only to see I put the tire on backwards and had to do it all over again.
Lots of beer got drank after that fuck up.
Now i quadruple check before I start putting a tire on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Do a mousse. When your done you will look like you just my wrestled 8 strippers and you will be able to curse in Portuguese.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top