Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Red DG with blue anodized rims.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:
Was it PK Ripper that made the fiberglass? frame?  They broke easily.
View Quote

Mine was heliarc welded aluminum
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
We were poors.  I only had a Huffy dirt bike.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple years ago I bought a 1993 Haro group 1 in great shape.  All stock except wheels.  Tuned it up, put new brake pads and tubes on it.  I rode it around the neighborhood with my son a lot last year.

Plan on giving it to him when he hits about 48".

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of you are getting freestyle bikes and BMX bicycle motocross racing bikes mixed up.
They are not the same.

I still have my diamondback senior pro from my youth and redline 500a I picked up a couple years later.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gutter1000:

Flatlandfuel has a bunch of Haro ol school new rides.
Get back into it!

http://flatlandfuel.com/Haro2023lineagesport20completebike.aspx
View Quote

To tall now I am 6'4, even in my teens I transitioned to skateboarding. I did see some companies make 28 or 30 inch Bmx Bikes
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Over the years I had...

Diamond Back Silverstreak
Redline RL20a
K2 Dennis McCoy edition, sweet bike
Dyno Compe

a few others here and there.  Favorite was the RL20a

I probably could not fathom how many miles I put on those things over the years.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
For anyone that keeps up with modern BMX, I had a few questions.

-Why do so many modern BMX riders have their seats lowered so much with the nose of the saddle angled upwards? I can understand if you're doing crazy tricks on a track and need clearance, but almost every BMX bike I see riding around the city has this setup. Growing up we always had our seats higher so you could sit and be comfortable riding around.

-Who do so many BMX riders not have brakes? Back in the day you would you have front/rear brakes on a freestyle bike and a single brake on your BMX bike. But now I'm seeing no brakes at all.
I have a few "fixed gear" track bikes with no brakes but you can slow down by putting back pressure on the cranks or even skid the rear tire. Foot retention (clipless pedals, pedal straps, etc..) are required for this though. Always thought BMX bikes just had a freewheel (the cheaper bikes had a coaster brake), so pedaling backwards does nothing. How do you slow down?
View Quote

I'm probably not the right person to answer this since I don't ride or follow bikes at all.

But, that's what the bikes look like that the bmxicans ride at the skateparks, and tiny front sprockets. So, set up for concrete park riding?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#10]
BMX kicked off in the mid-1970s
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Sweet !!  Your builds?
View Quote

Yes sir, that's a few of them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Medieval:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Medieval:

Sweet !!  Your builds?

Im doing my 3rd predator, a freeform BG build using an 87 predator EX frame/fork/ handlebars.  Just a custom tribute bike in the yellow and blue.  Porkchop has great decal sets, has alot of GT decals.  May try a GT next.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Im doing my 3rd predator, a freeform BG build using an 87 predator EX frame/fork/ handlebars.  Just a custom tribute bike in the yellow and blue.  Porkchop has great decal sets, has alot of GT decals.  May try a GT next.
View Quote

Right on, don't see those much. They are sweet.
Still remember when Porkchop started. I have sent more than a few dollars his way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a mongoose, haro, and a redline, good times.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By my65pan:
I still have what’s left of my 1977 Yamaha Moto-Bike.
It’s been through several different configurations since ‘77.https://i.postimg.cc/j5W7VwxL/0-A6-B381-A-E850-4-E9-E-9-DE3-D2-E394-F26948.jpg
View Quote

1967 the Schwinn Fasback came out. They were the first strong straight front downpipe frame that we made into MX bikes. Take the whole bike apart use a Schwinn 26 inch front fork use the fastback frame and use a ten speed front dual gear and have a 20 inch ten speed with motorcycle handlebars using all titanium bolts on the whole bike courtesy of McDonnell Douglas. Get rid of the skinny rims and use heavy spoke and used wider rear Schwinn rims, back to front.

About 1970 I cut the rear frame loose and made a swing arm monoshock bike using the rear shock off my 1965 Honda Scrambler 305. Cut and ran a bolt through the lower frame at the kickstand like your bike has and took the upper rear frame cut off of the seat pipe frame ran it past and hooked the rear of the shock to it made a bracket to connect the front of the shock to the upper and lower front frame pipes.

Using the rear derailer as the chain tensioner to have the chain under load no matter the swing radius. After adding rear swing arm frame gussets the rear swing arm was ridged enough to take abuse laterally and horizontally.

Nobby tires were just coming into the bike market but before that the neighbor that worked at Mac would take tires and a groover and make tires for us. We would take 2 tires one in another and take 16p nails and cut them down drill holes and have studded nobby tires for mud and ice. Fucking crazy what 12 year old kids thought of back then and made it ourselves, help from the neighbor.

Us kids had built 4 or 5 of them made and began making front moto shock fronts from motorcycles machined and lightened from Gene the neighbor. Do that stuff in the machine shop at Mac for us. I think I took the front fork off my 1966 Yamaha Twin Jet 100. Man I tore up some early 60's motorcycles to make MX bikes.

I thought of and made monoshock with bike before Yamaha even did it years later. I sold 1 bike to a guy for his "kid", Pop said it was ok so I sold it for 200. I always wondered if they sold the idea to Yamaha or if someone else thought of it first.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Never had a BMX. ClosestI got was a Montgomery Wards 20" banaba seat bike with BMX handlebars. Mom wouldnt let me have a bmx. We also had a city owned BMX track here that held major races. Was taken out in the 2000's to make a public garden for the Rotary Club.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a mongoose  super goose with tuff neck stem and Oakley  grips, wanted a SE PK Ripper but couldn't  afford one
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Something about the angle/geometry....the Moosegoose worked better for me...mine had Skyway mags and Campagnolo hubs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cancard:

What was more desirable — mags or spoked wheels?
View Quote

Mags were what I remember everyone wanting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mouthpiece:
Some of you are getting freestyle bikes and BMX bicycle motocross racing bikes mixed up.
They are not the same.

I still have my diamondback senior pro from my youth and redline 500a I picked up a couple years later.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155838/IMG_3827_jpeg-3197967.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155838/IMG_7280_jpeg-3197970.JPG
View Quote

This.  I made mine into a true "BMX" bike.  Brother went the "freestyle" route.  They all fell into the "BMX" moniker though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Send Me an Angel by Real Life - or - BMX Boogie Scene from RAD
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Wish I kept my Diamondback.  Used to race in the early 80s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Man I miss those days.  My main bikes back then were Hutch and JMC.  Wish I still had them
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Mongoose, I love that bitch. I was jealous of others that had Haro, GT and another brand I can't remember
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a PK ripper. I beat the shit out of that bike.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Had a 86 GT Pro Performer.

Chrome with white GT mags, man I loved that bike. Brother borrowed it and left it out on back porch. Stolen

Dream bike would be a 85-87 Redline Rl20ii

I have two modern repop Pro Performers. An 2019 Chrome and a 2021 White one. They are fun to dink around on, but I miss the real deal.
'
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

I have flashback nightmares with these.
https://i.imgur.com/aQ4kiVT.jpg
View Quote

Fuck that. You weren’t elite unless you had neoprene Poor Boy shin guards. (Crupi Squares would cut right threw em though.)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

Fuck that. You weren’t elite unless you had neoprene Poor Boy shin guards. (Crupi Squares would cut right threw em though.)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

I have flashback nightmares with these.
https://i.imgur.com/aQ4kiVT.jpg

Ah Bear Traps, they are the reason I have no feeling in my shins
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shaneus] [#30]
I loved racing bmx.  Me and my friends were there to see the tracks get built, to it being a big thing.  Then we all got driver’s licenses and locally it kinda died with us as a core group no longer there for it.

Now theres a great pro track here that looks awesome,  too bad no one can get on it except race days.  Liability concerns have ruined so many things us gen x’rs loved.  We lived at the old track after it was built.

Raced a PK Ripper, then stupidly sold it to a neighbor kid.  He soon sold it at a yard sale and a buddy of mine bought it, knowing it was my old bike.  He wanted a king’s ransom I would not pay.  35 years later (Christmas 2022),  i was surprised when my dad rolled it in under the tree.  Have no idea what he gave, but he knew I wanted it back.  It had not been changed any since i sold it so its a time machine every time I see it.

Thanks dad!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bw77] [#31]
Excellent thread ! Brings back memories.

I had a Schwinn Thrasher black with gold rims. Definitely wasnt tier 1 bmx bike but it did the job. I really wanted the Mongoose FS1 but never got one.

Oh how I wish I could still ride a bmx bike. Kids now are missing out. Every day we were riding all over. Our parents had no idea where we were and didnt care unless we werent home on time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember my mom telling me that if I wore those pants one more day in a row, she was going to throw them away...

Attachment Attached File

1985 and 86 Haro catalogs:

https://issuu.com/harobmx/docs/1985_haro_cataloghires

https://issuu.com/harobmx/docs/1986_haro_cataloghires
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#34]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a chrome Schwin predator. Probably about 1984. I pushed it out of the garage in high school to clean up the garage and ended up getting stolen. Wish I still had it. Its worth a little bit of money. My kids could enjoy it too!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a GT Mach one which was stolen.
Came across this survivor in a customers basement back at least 20 years ago.
The pic does it no justice it actually in really good shape. It was used very little just needs to be cleaned up.
Paid $5 for it. Asked the guy from retrobmx (the account linked on pg1) on IG and he said they typically got for $2G+

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#37]
CroMo Race Inc. Tank but held up.

My dad got pissed off at us breaking the cheapo bikes. He made me work to buy my own bike for jumping.

One of the few kids that was into both bmx and skating at the time.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Assholes stole my Mongoose too.

Fuckers
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
Assholes stole my Mongoose too.

Fuckers
View Quote
You too?

Fuckers stole my DiamondBack and my brother's Mongoose.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#40]
We rode trash bikes. Thursday was trash day so Wednesday evening we went looking for bikes
in the trash. We put the bikes under Barts back porch and would build bikes from the parts.
I think we had 60 some bikes for parts. They looked like junk but they rode good and it kept
my asshole brother from stealing them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#41]
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:

My dad got pissed off at us breaking the cheapo bikes. He made me work to buy my own bike for jumping.

View Quote

Think BMX was my first taste of "buy once, cry once" when it comes to buying quality components.

I had a paper route and would continually upgrade my lower end Mongoose after all the cheaper parts failed (the 1 piece crank arms, plastic pedals, cheap stem, crap brakes, rims etc..)

After a year I realized I had put more money into upgrading my cheaper Mongoose (frame was 100% Cro-moly front triangle, hi-ten steel rear) than I would have paid just buying a GT or Robinson "Pro Series" that was full Cro-moly and all of the trick parts from the start.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Think BMX was my first taste of "buy once, cry once" when it comes to buying quality components.

I had a paper route and would continually upgrade my lower end Mongoose after all the cheaper parts failed (the 1 piece crank arms, plastic pedals, cheap stem, crap brakes, rims etc..)

After a year I realized I had put more money into upgrading my cheaper Mongoose (frame was 100% Cro-moly front triangle, hi-ten steel rear) than I would have paid just buying a GT or Robinson "Pro Series" that was full Cro-moly and all of the trick parts from the start.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:

I added a pic of my old track bike to your thread.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wolfpack] [#43]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I always wanted a PK Ripper or an SE Quadangle. Drooled over the DB Silverstreak as well, as a less pricey choice.

I ended up with a DB Viper because we were poors.

The 80's were awesome for bmx kids.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jamess396] [#45]
A few years ago I got all the bikes I wished I had when I was a kid. Here's a few of them.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By toaster:
I always wanted a PK Ripper or an SE Quadangle. Drooled over the DB Silverstreak as well, as a less pricey choice.

I ended up with a DB Viper because we were poors.

The 80's were awesome for bmx kids.
View Quote
That was our transportation, hobby, exercise, sport, all rolled into two wheels.

Used to ride the bmx bike to skate spots. Would get hassled.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I only had a red murray, but I fashioned a rifle rack for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
I also had an OG Mongoose (I think Motomag? it had those waffle wheels) that I put some parts on, I no longer remember the names but I know I swapped the handgrips, the seat, the pedals/crank/chain, and a few other things.

I sold it to another younger kid on my street when I was in high school, and someone stole it from that kid. I was told the bike was recovered a few days later from "the bad part of town" where some kid had taken it apart and was rattlecanning it black in his backyard when the po po found it and him.
View Quote

Still have my Mongoose Pro Class....though it needs a lot of work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By akethan:
Was it PK Ripper that made the fiberglass? frame?  They broke easily.
View Quote
PK Ripper was made by SE Racing. Aluminum.

I wanted a Floval Flyer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Precious87] [#50]
I had a Paterson, don't remember the components. Traded it for a Quad, hated the geometry, quit riding.

A few years later discovered mountain bikes, broke a lot of shit

ETA: 1989, Raleigh Technium  - Over three months I broke: Two fingers; An ankle (not broke, but the size of a melon); 3 sets of forks; 5 sets of handlebars; 2 rear sprockets; other random shit, including my face :)

Loved that aluminum-glued-together bike, flexed like crazy. Then some shitstain stole it :(
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top