Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Chinese Instant Hot Pot (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2024 9:02:38 PM EDT
What's the hottest Chinese food you've eaten?  I thought I'd had some hot Szechwan until I tried this instant/sef-heating Chinese Hot Pot:

Amazon Product
  • 1.[Branded Hotpot]: Szechuan hotpot is world-famous, and YUMEI food is native to Szechuan. Both the ingredients adopted and quality testing of our self heating hot pot are in the top of the industry.

I had seen some other food reviewers try this and it seemed like a good challenge.  Much like an MRE, it was heated by a flameless chemical heater activated by water.  However, it required enough water to cover the heater and proceeded to boil and produce a ton of steam after about 30 seconds.  The meal included wide noodles, a variety of eastern vegetables (lotus root, bamboo shoots, konjac, black fungus mushrooms).  But it was the large pack of chili sauce and powder spices that did me in.  

The resulting broth/hot soup was so strong it instantly made me cough.  After a while, it numbed my mouth.  That actually made it easier to eat!  Made a video to show how it cooked with some before and after shots.

Chinese Hot Pot of Doom - It Melted my Face!!!

I do these for fun BTW.  Just a hobby, not monetized.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Looks like a sodium bomb.
View Quote
I'll pass - I'd rather enjoy my food and not die...and I like spicy food. Yikes!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

850mg - but you don't really notice because your mouth is on fire.  I couldn't finish the entire bowl of broth.  The veggies and noodles soaked up quite a bit of the flavor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By armoredman:

I'll pass - I'd rather enjoy my food and not die...and I like spicy food. Yikes!
View Quote

It came in a three pack.  I've tried two and gave the other away.  No way will I tempt fate three times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
IN!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
What if you cut back on the spices - would it be a good product?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDiggler] [#7]
$10 for a serving of ramen?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cancard:

View Quote

The instructions were not clear at all.  I think what was lost in translation was you could add the chili paste/dry seasonings/sesame oil "to taste."  I made the mistake of putting all three in and using the entire packets.

I do believe the chili paste would be hot in almost any quantity.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait until it decides to leave your body ...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Hot going in and hot lava coming out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
$10 for a serving of ramen?
View Quote

Amazon was the first place I looked and ordered from there because I could have it delivered in less than 24 hours.  I've since learned of another website with better prices.  It bills itself as the US's biggest asian internet grocer:

Weee!

They appear to sell the same hot pots for $7.79.  It is a substantial amount of noodles and vegetables.  Not just a brick of dried ramen.

Yumei Instant Spicy Hotpot
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
free lead and mercury and a sprinkle of formaldehyde
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bravo5two:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/red_light-284.gif
View Quote

It can substitute for the colonoscopy prep, but it's more painful for sure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
free lead and mercury and a sprinkle of formaldehyde
View Quote

Don't forget the sweet, sweet asbestos.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting but a bit much for $10 a pack for a novelty. And I do like trying different types of Ramen noodles... but even the good or weird ones normally only run a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Echd:
Interesting but a bit much for $10 a pack for a novelty. And I do like trying different types of Ramen noodles... but even the good or weird ones normally only run a couple bucks.
View Quote

Some times you have to take the leap...

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Deadheadmatt:
What's the hottest Chinese food you've eaten?  I thought I'd had some hot Szechwan until I tried this instant/sef-heating Chinese Hot Pot:

www.amazon.com/dp/B081PR16BZ

I had seen some other food reviewers try this and it seemed like a good challenge.  Much like an MRE, it was heated by a flameless chemical heater activated by water.  However, it required enough water to cover the heater and proceeded to boil and produce a ton of steam after about 30 seconds.  The meal included wide noodles, a variety of eastern vegetables (lotus root, bamboo shoots, konjac, black fungus mushrooms).  But it was the large pack of chili sauce and powder spices that did me in.  

The resulting broth/hot soup was so strong it instantly made me cough.  After a while, it numbed my mouth.  That actually made it easier to eat!  Made a video to show how it cooked with some before and after shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOyLcsLCYUk

I do these for fun BTW.  Just a hobby, not monetized.
View Quote

Yeah, fuck that, lol. I like spicy food, but not too spicy. That looks like lava.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cancard:

View Quote

Good question. I might try it like that. Maybe a dab of the hot stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I came here looking for insta pot Chinese food. Backing away from the thread....
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
You should listen to that cover music while that molten lava leaves your body.  It may sooth you.
Good review.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
You should listen to that cover music while that molten lava leaves your body.  It may sooth you.
Good review.
View Quote

It wasn't an entirely bad experience.  After using and consuming the entire spice packet, I was able to fold space and travel interdimensionally.  The spice must flow...
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#24]
So where do I get those water activated heaters?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra] [#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

After doing the extra spicy challenge fads over the years! I like spice and heat? But not to the point of it being painful!

Lol that it's OP's video
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:43:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadheadmatt] [#26]
Originally Posted By Threefingers:
So where do I get those water activated heaters?
View Quote

That's a good question.  I've only seen heaters this big in either these hot pot kits or in chinese PLA rations.  I don't think they are much different than the US ones, but by volume they have to be 4-5 times bigger.

This is the webpage of one of the US contractors that provides the FRH for the military:

Flameless Heating Technology

Their website implies that they may make larger heaters for the Unitized Group Ration, with is field expedient food for larger groups.  But I don't see where they sell to civilians.  

Maybe some chemistry brain can fill us in on what is needed to make these?  Wouldn't surprise me if there are some restrictions attached to the manufacturing of these.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Neat, though without a translator I would have probably eaten the heater
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Neat, though without a translator I would have probably eaten the heater
View Quote

A spicy pillow of doom
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Imagine if the apocalypse happened and this is the only thing left to eat for the rest of time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Let’s get this out on a tray,
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#31]
ATTEMPTING THE SPICIEST RAMEN CHALLENGE IN JAPAN & I REGRET IT | Joel Hansen

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By LonghornAR:
Imagine if the apocalypse happened and this is the only thing left to eat for the rest of time.
View Quote

I'd die a lot sooner from the health issues created by the garbage food but I would definitely die happy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I liked the classic Dirty Harry soundtrack!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#34]
As soon as I saw the spoon my suspicions were validated.

OP.....you ever had Hot Pot before? I'm guessing not.
You COOK in the boiling hot chili oil. Drinking the broth isn't recommended  unless its a milder broth/soup.

That numbing sensation? Yeah, its what you get from the Szechuan peppers and is what people want.

At a Hot Pot restaurant they bring you the Hot Pot and an assortment of paper thin sliced raw meats, vegetables and noodles. You add them to the pot and when cooked to your liking you eat them. You don't drink the oily broth until after everyone has eaten, and then its optional.

Hot Pot broth can be spicy, sour or herbal.

Here in Plano, we have a Hot Pot restaurant that serves two broths side by side like this:

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
This and already having High BP is why I don't eat much Ramen or any soups like this.

At my last job, I used to go buy a case or two of those foam cups of Ramen and I used the office's hot water dispenser, till one day I looked at the ingredients and read it contained like 4 or 5 days worth of sodium in one cup...  
I'm like WTF, no wonder I got High BP......  That wasn't the issue, but I broke the habit anyway..
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
As soon as I saw the spoon my suspicions were validated.

OP.....you ever had Hot Pot before? I'm guessing not.
You COOK in the boiling hot chili oil. Drinking the broth isn't recommended  unless its a milder broth/soup.

That numbing sensation? Yeah, its what you get from the Szechuan peppers and is what people want.

At a Hot Pot restaurant they bring you the Hot Pot and an assortment of paper thin sliced raw meats, vegetables and noodles. You add them to the pot and when cooked to your liking you eat them. You don't drink the oily broth until after everyone has eaten, and then its optional.

Hot Pot broth can be spicy, sour or herbal.

Here in Plano, we have a Hot Pot restaurant that serves two broths side by side like this:

View Quote

The Hot Pot craze hasn't made it to rural Idaho yet.  That could be a good or bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I ordered Singapore noodles "extra hot" once.

Once.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bravo5two:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/red_light-284.gif
View Quote

My Father referred to that experience as Mexican heartburn so, Chinese heartburn?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Deadheadmatt:

Amazon was the first place I looked and ordered from there because I could have it delivered in less than 24 hours.  I've since learned of another website with better prices.  It bills itself as the US's biggest asian internet grocer:

Weee!

They appear to sell the same hot pots for $7.79.  It is a substantial amount of noodles and vegetables.  Not just a brick of dried ramen.

Yumei Instant Spicy Hotpot
View Quote

It's for sure spendy for instant noodles, but kinda want for the self heating situation if I can find a similar product not made in actual china. Just a no on all Chinese produced food for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PbSponge:

It's for sure spendy for instant noodles, but kinda want for the self heating situation if I can find a similar product not made in actual china. Just a no on all Chinese produced food for me.
View Quote

This isn't "instant noodles" as in Maruchan or Nisin Top Ramen or Cup Noodles. Not even like the Samyang Hot Ramen.

Its for Hot Pot cooking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#43]
1. Self-heating pack is no-edible. DO NOT tore it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#44]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Korean, not Chinese. I'll have to look for that next time I go to the Korean supermarket.
View Quote

I much prefer Korean noodles over Japanese or Chinese.
These are my preferred, just the right amount of spice.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#45]
That was a big ol sauce packet..
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#46]
The hottest Chinese food I have eaten was at an actual Hot Pot restaurant in Chongqing, China.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PbSponge] [#47]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

This isn't "instant noodles" as in Maruchan or Nisin Top Ramen or Cup Noodles. Not even like the Samyang Hot Ramen.

Its for Hot Pot cooking.
View Quote

Not really seeing the distinction you're going for, it's an instant version of a hotpot meal. It's more like cup noodles than it is an actual hotpot meal unless you're adding stuff to it, which is kind of not happening in the emergency noods use case I'm looking for, the interesting/ novel bit to me is the self heating.
Whatever branding/ noodle semantics people want to play with that is fine, but I want self heating noods that aren't made in China for a rare occasion when I only have/ want to fuck with water and no heat source (weird desk meal if swamped, road trip, lazy hunting/camping meal, etc.) If I don't need the self heating I can cook an actual meal that isn't a disastrous amount of salt and fucked macros.

Tldr: nah bro, it just cup noodles minus the needing hot water.

ETA: trying to confirm if yumei has US manufacturing or just an importer, but there's a Thai option, natchill I guess I'm ordering to play with, but seems they expect you to add your own veggies and such vs dehydrated/ shelf stable stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
OP: What's your take on these hot pot noodles compared to the Samyang 2x spicy noodles?
View Quote

@Zhukov - I like Samyung/Balduc brand.  Better flavor.  I really like the super cheesy/hot ones.  Did you see they've come out with a 3X spicy?

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:09:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#50]
View Quote
MSG

If ya'll learn to cook, you can make that shit as hot as you want.  You will probably live longer too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Chinese Instant Hot Pot (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top