Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Years ago when the first 3d gun file was out in the wild, several people on various forums reported the file disappeared after Microsoft pushed an update.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  What's Microsoft got to do with this?
Years ago when the first 3d gun file was out in the wild, several people on various forums reported the file disappeared after Microsoft pushed an update.
Hmmm...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they stopped referring to mentally ill people as 'crazy people' many years ago, Chuck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish more mass shooters were armed with 3D printed guns (versus regular ones) due to their propensity to break.

Aluminum > plastic > 3D printed plastic
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn....was wondering where Cody Wilson had gone.  5 years of litigation Jesus.

I guess if they can't win, they'll at least delay it as much as possible.  Funny its a Trump administration this is all finally settled now.

I have a feeling this halted additive manufacturing progress on guns a lot due to the laws.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
What is to keep someone with a milling machine from making their own lower? Most guys in machine shops make a lot harder stuff than a upper or lower.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Chuck should be concerned about criminals.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Weird thing is, I got the plans when they were first available and still haven't made any.

It's almost like Intent is more important than Capability.
View Quote
The point is, you CAN. And so can everyone else...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://nypost.com/2018/07/22/chuck-schumer-warns-of-3-d-printed-ghost-guns/

Sen. Chuck Schumer is warning the public to watch out for 3-D printed guns — that people will be able to legally download starting on August 1.

Gun rights activists reached a settlement with the US State Department and Department of Justice last week that allows them to post detailed instructions, including plans, files and 3-D drawings of the weapons.

“This online site shows you, how at your home, with a simple 3D printer, you can make a plastic AR-15, an AR-10, a very dangerous semi-automatic assault-style weapons out of plastic in your own basement,” Schumer said at a Sunday press conference.

The June 29 settlement stems from 2013 when the US government shut down Texas-based Defense Distributed when the website began sharing printable 3-D gun plans online — saying they were violating laws that regulate the export of guns since anyone, anywhere could download their plans.

The site’s owner, Cody Wilson, sued and the US government reached a settlement with him allowing Defense Distributed to post the plans and agreeing to pay almost $40,000 of his legal fees.

Schumer warned that the results could be disastrous — and could potentially arm people who cannot legally purchase a gun under existing laws.

“The danger that could happen can be enormous,” he said. “To have crazy people have easy access, to have terrorists have easy access to this kind of website and allow them to make plastic AR 15s undetected — so-called ghost guns — justifies the imagination.”

The 3-D printed guns are inferior to firearms manufacturers traditionally make but still work. Printers run anywhere from $200 to hundreds of thousands.

Schumer demanded the federal government reverse its decision. He’ll be making a bill with a solution to the ghost gun blueprints by the end of the week, his spokesperson said.
View Quote
View Quote
One could almost say that there is no such thing as somebody who is can not legally purchase a gun,  only a person who lacks the proper documentation. I mean its a Human right and all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Firearms are not that hard to manufacture.

Criminals do not manufacture firearms.

3d printers are not going to change that.
View Quote
Challenge Chuckie to demonstrate making one of his "ghost guns" entirely 3D printed. And then firing it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck you, Chuck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Chuck can stick his opinions and a 3D gun up his ass.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Lol, attempting to distract the left from the FISA bullshit falling apart by offering up a carrot?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
His plan is to make you a criminal, serf.

Now PICK UP THAT FUCKING CAN!
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They will be making those "G-7's" that are invisible to metal detectors.  Criminals will be making them like batches of cookies for all the gangs & terrorists...
View Quote
I bet the chief of Dulles airport security is happy to hear that, I heard that from the factory they cost more than he makes ina month.

Also fuck chuck Schumer
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Said this in some other Chuck thread, have a bag of these.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#16]
It's not like anybody in the last 60 years hasn't been able to build a basic gun out of some crap you can buy at Home Depot.

What are they going to do in an age of home CNC machines and 3d printers?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is to keep someone with a milling machine from making their own lower? Most guys in machine shops make a lot harder stuff than a upper or lower.
View Quote
Conceivably with additive manufacturing you could make an entire lower with the lower parts 'installed' all in one print.  Once the tech gets to that level of refinement it'll be pretty crazy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Conceivably with additive manufacturing you could make an entire lower with the lower parts 'installed' all in one print.  Once the tech gets to that level of refinement it'll be pretty crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you won the lottery, couldn't you just endow Ghost Gun Charities LLC and give them away for free?

You're not "in the business" if you don't charge for your product, right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#19]
The most dangerous place in America is between Chuck Schumer and a camera.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Well since I have a mill and a lathe in my garage, I must already be a criminal then right?  FCS
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Challenge Chuckie to demonstrate making one of his "ghost guns" entirely 3D printed. And then firing it.
View Quote
This maybe isn't such a hot plan.  It would highlight the other components of the rifle that can't be 3D printed effectively (today) and garner them attention for regulation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven’t seen any of the CAD files for 3D printable lowers, BUT, I do believe you can’t take a design originally made of aluminum and make the same design of plastic and expect it to function the same.   It might work for a few rounds, or a hundred or ???

A new material requires a new design.

Are the 3D printable files the same design we have on our current rifles?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you won the lottery, couldn't you just endow Ghost Gun Charities LLC and give them away for free?

View Quote
This has potential. Any angel philanthropists out there?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I haven’t seen any of the CAD files for 3D printable lowers, BUT, I do believe you can’t take a design originally made of aluminum and make the same design of plastic and expect it to function the same.   It might work for a few rounds, or a hundred or ???

View Quote
I have seen on youtube where some designs have thicker material in spots, and some designs include brass inserts. With careful printing and an annealing step, printed stuff can be pretty damn strong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

One could almost say that there is no such thing as somebody who is can not legally purchase a gun,  only a person who lacks the proper documentation. I mean its a Human right and all.
View Quote
Oh snap.

Has the NRA called for a ban since this piece of plastic can make a machine gun?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, this is how you get serialized and regulated barrels with a needed background check.  You know that will be the solution politicians will dream up.
View Quote
Somebody will come up with a way to make barrels at home in a few months.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Somebody will come up with a way to make barrels at home in a few months.
View Quote
Smoothbore too. That way it's the musket the left is always telling us the founders "meant" from their cell phones from a skyscraper...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Weird thing is, I got the plans when they were first available and still haven't made any.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't stop the signal!

That is correct... unless you wipe it. Like, with a cloth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sunday Schumer Strikes Again.

He's a Ghost Politician -- Invisible for six days a week.

Can we ban those?
View Quote
Well he can't set foot in a church without bursting into flames so what else is he supposed to do while his colleagues are pretending to be religious?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Lol if that motherfucker had a inkling on what a average guy could do with a few simple tools

Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@chase45

What is the thickest part that gets welded in that assembly?
View Quote
Probably the trunion to the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#35]
FUCK OFF CHUCKIE YOU FASCIST POS FUCK-STAIN.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
The ones I have seen have the buffer assembly connect to a removable piece so when it breaks due to the recoil stress, you can just print a new one and reattach it to the rest of the lower.

Here is one I did at 50% scale just for shits-and-grins....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#37]
FCS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't worry Chucky.  Microsoft will push an update and then magically the files will disappear just like happened before.
View Quote
Please expand on this.

Start a new thread if you choose.

I never heard of this happening.

@phlat
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Too late...

Cartel cnc operations
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you make me a criminal at the stroke of a pen, don't be surprised when I start acting like one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#41]
What caliber is the 3d printed pistol?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  The ATF has previously decreed from on high that even if you LOAN out your tools to someone to allow them to make their own firearm that you are in essence manufacturing.

Give vs. sell doesn't change the fact that they will come after you for manufacturing.  It's the act, not the money.

It's a crazy world when I can't loan out a jig to someone.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#43]
So people wanting to do bad things were following the law and now that it is legal, they will start making 3-d printed guns.

if that is the case, can we take the original wording that prevented them from making them anyway and make an anti-murder law? It would be awesome to use that magic wording and put an end to murders.

Chuck You is a moron.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The ones I have seen have the buffer assembly connect to a removable piece so when it breaks due to the recoil stress, you can just print a new one and reattach it to the rest of the lower.

Here is one I did at 50% scale just for shits-and-grins....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/446553/20180723_094448-616865.JPG
View Quote
Oh. My. God.
It's an AR for a raccoon.

FINISH IT. In like .22LR.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And historically and legally the registered part of the gun is the reciever.  The gov has to play by their own rules, well with Trump in office at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately, this is how you get serialized and regulated barrels with a needed background check.  You know that will be the solution politicians will dream up.
And historically and legally the registered part of the gun is the reciever.  The gov has to play by their own rules, well with Trump in office at least.
So?  The .gov can just change the rules.

Pistol brace on the shoulder?  It's ok.  Then it wasn't.  But it's ok now.

Bump stocks?  Not machineguns.  Now they're trying to make them into machineguns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#46]
no different than 80% frames/lowers
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Scary ghosteses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#49]
If it isnt the russians its "ghost guns"

The DNC themesong

Dumbo Pink Elephants on Parade HD
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wish more mass shooters were armed with 3D printed guns (versus regular ones) due to their propensity to break.

Aluminum > plastic > 3D printed plastic
View Quote
Sintering of metal in 3-D printing is becoming cheaper by the day.

3-D printing around a few metal components is certainly doable today cheaply.

just like the kits for casting receivers from polymers - they figured out how to put metal in the molds at certain places to strengthen the receiver.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top