Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not much of a “knife guy”. Its a tool, I have a couple.  This makes me want to buy a cold steel and kershaw.....cause screw benchmade.
View Quote
Same, I'm picking up a Cold Steel poly shileghlagh, so I don't wreck my real one in this shitty weather

Cold Steel - Irish Blackthorn Stick
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Gladius machete.

They are indestructible and versatile, yet cost effective.

Need a machete? Yup.

Need a knife? It kinda works.

Need a chop a small limb? It'll do it.

Need A GODDAMNED SWORD?!? YES!!!
View Quote
I have a CS machete as well, and I have to say, i've used tomahawks more for random shit in my life.

Pounding in tent pegs. Pounding in an annoying nail sticking out of something. Cutting wood (though, not ideal, actual hatchet is better). And quite literally all the time: throwing them for fun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Now, what about CRKT?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He sounds operator as fuck carrying no less then 3 knifes on him as all times
View Quote
Who doesn’t carry three knives at all timesheets
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know they get busted on around here but they make decent stuff
View Quote
I've always been happy with the Cold Steel knives i've owned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Cold steel makes some pretty good knives.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are about to sell out of all kinds of shit when GD sees that.
View Quote
This is an awesome response video to that crap Benchmade got caught red (as in commie Red) handed.  You can tell that the Cold Steel guy is a legit shooter.

I've never owned anything made by Benchmade, but I will own something made by Cold Steel, soon. My brother owns a sword. My house needs a sword, I think.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
You know, the first thing I'm going to grab during a "bump in the night" event is my trusty old 870, but if I were prohibited the use of firearms, that damn thing might be on the list. Wonder if there is a weapon's light option?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I'll get a cold steel speer curtain rod for a window just because
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait until you guys figure out that both Safariland and Surefire both also contribute to Dems.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Surefire-campaign-finance-contributions----universal-background-checks-and-full-capacity-mag-ban/5-2196377/

Simply search for "Safariland Cory Booker" for the details on that.

It's getting harder and harder to trust companies that are headquartered in blue gun-hating States.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#11]

I will get a 1917 Naval Cutlass from them at some point. I wish they made a 1913 Patton Cavalry Saber. But alas, they don't. Atlanta Cutlery does.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Someone understand social media and "strike while the iron is hot." I prefer folders and I don't believe they do much there.
View Quote
I thought they just made novelty stuff. Seems we were both wrong

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/folding-knives.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.coldsteel.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/480x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/8/8/88cs.jpg

I will get a 1917 Naval Cutlass from them at some point. I wish they made a 1913 Patton Cavalry Saber. But alas, they don't. Atlanta Cutlery does.
View Quote
I want a Grosse Messer.  
Just am too cheap to shell the money out when there is gun stuff to purchase.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want a Grosse Messer.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.coldsteel.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/480x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/8/8/88cs.jpg

I want a Grosse Messer.  
I'd seriously want both the 1917 Cutlass and 1913 Saber to simply have hanging in my office. The last two official swords the US Military took into combat. Yup. Want it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That thing has been around for a while, I remember reading about it here years ago.    I'd like to get my hands on one to check it out.

Actually, I think Survival Lilly had one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to buy something from him. I've never found a Cold Steel I really wanted but I'll find something.

People like this need our support.
Get an SRK. Once you handle it, you're in love with it for life.
That thing has been around for a while, I remember reading about it here years ago.    I'd like to get my hands on one to check it out.

Actually, I think Survival Lilly had one.  
I've had mine on my tactical gear for over 20 years. It's about the only thing that hasn't worn out. I've used it as a pry bar more than a few times without fear. Watch the video to get an idea:

Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I usually am) but, wasn't the SRK standard issue for BUDs training at one time? I remember seeing a SEAL documentary years ago and I could have sworn I saw the recruits carrying SRKs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get an SRK. Once you handle it, you're in love with it for life.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I usually am) but, wasn't the SRK standard issue for BUDs training at one time? I remember seeing a SEAL documentary years ago and I could have sworn I saw the recruits carrying SRKs.
Yeah. Still popular with quite a few of them. They were also issued the Recon Tanto folder for a while from what I understand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, and he ACTUALLY has the sword.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Is this big enough for EDC?

Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Cold steel SRK is my on CS knife. May have to buy more from them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Hey, yours says Japan, too!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sure looks like a Water Buff to me. No Boss or horn curl. Besides, how would a Cape Buff find it's way to Australia. Could of course be mistaken.
View Quote
I believe it is a Water Buffalo, and I believe it is still absolutely bad ass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#22]
For those buying Cold Steel, make sure to get the ones made with San Mai III steel. I think those might still be made in Japan.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He's always come across as a big geeky kid but he'd probably be fun to hang out with.  Shooting stuff, cutting stuff, chopping stuff, sticking sharp pointy things in stuff, etc.  LOL
View Quote
That's the impression I've always gotten. He's what 90% of arfcommers want to be, lol. I was actually shocked by his shooting. It's obvious that he puts some effort into training and I have respect for that. I never would've expected that, based on the videos of chopping meat and all of the memes.
I'd hang out with him. Best case, he's a really cool guy. Worst case, you have to tell him how awesome he is every time he makes a good shot....
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
good i carry a few of their folders
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's my favorite thing in their lineup. Kinda hard to justify buying but it is indeed awesome.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I need a walking stick/ clubbing opossums and Raccoons to death stick. Bent my fiskars rake handle the other night dispatching an opossum.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For those buying Cold Steel, make sure to get the ones made with San Mai III steel. I think those might still be made in Japan.
View Quote
They make lots of knives with better steels.  CTS XHP and S35vn.  They are phasing out of XHP due to availability.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought they just made novelty stuff. Seems we were both wrong

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/folding-knives.html
View Quote
They are not even close to novelty. Cold Steel has always made serious weapons. They are pretty much the only company out there that has always been unapologetic in saying that they are selling WEAPONS, and they back it up by demonstrating what they can do. No one else has the balls to do that -- the idea of cutting people with knives is just too icky for them to even contemplate. So their competitors tap dance around the issue, and often hesitate to offer full sized combat knives at all.

Cold Steel says that knives are weapons -- and free men have a right and obligation to defend themselves. Cold Steel basically started the combat / tactical knife trend back in the 80's, driving their Tantos through car doors and the like back in Soldier of Fortune magazine (and what not). The industry probably wouldn't even exist without them.

Today, they are still doing their thing, still completely over the top. But that's the POINT. They are openly giving their customers permission to see their knives as weapons. You don't have to imagine what it will do, you don't have to pretend you are buying it to chip ice or open letters or slice cardboard, it's a weapon. And they are more than willing to demonstrate the point by slashing cows in half, hacking up liters of soda, or even chopping through meat stuffed cowboy boots. I LOVE IT.

Another thing: people give them crap for their line of cheap knives and tools. It's true, it does tend to de-value their entire lineup in the eyes of people who can afford anything they like and collect only the best. But not everyone can afford to drop hundreds on some Gray Poupon pocketknife. Lynn Thompson wants those folks to have a bad-ass weapon as well. And I will bet you good money that you can take one of those $20 plastic-sealed Walmart specials and abuse the ever loving hell out of it without it failing. It might not be pretty, but it will probably be a great value for the money if that is all you can afford.

I have been a Cold Steel fan for years. In my opinion they make exceptional knives and weapons, their higher end products rival anyone's and are often objectively better.

Oh yes....

FUCK BENCHMADE.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Now  i need to buy another Cold Steel.  Recommendations for an around the camp folder for hiking?  Something larger and beatable for pocket carry but not heavy enough it makes sense to carry a fixed blade.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
The high end 3V steel is, I believe, American Steel with the knife crafted in Taiwan, which is exactly what Spiderco does with some of their higher end knives. Why Taiwan? They have a factory there set up to work with these high end super steels. The San Mai III steel was, I believe, all worked in Seki City, Japan (Again both Cold Steel and Spyderco). But, I think it is now slightly different laminate, called San Mai, and also worked in Taiwan. Cold Steel has some other seriously high end super steels as well.

Basically, it seems as if they offer most of their knives in a range of steels -- priced accordingly. And note, even their inexpensive knives have good steel.

If anything, rather than looking at the steel, I would look at the lock. If you have never owned a Tri-ad lock, consider it. Those things lock up tighter than my revolvers. It's crazy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#31]
He might be a bit loony, but he is our kind of loony.

That was a great video.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But he's a pro--gun wacko. Nows the time for solidarity, not to be divisive.

Check out his African hunt video where the Cape Buffalo shrugs off his spear. Lynn cooly and quickly pulls out his magnum and lays that buffalo out while it is charging him from close distance. Dude clanks when he walks.
View Quote
"there wasn't any time to find the sights, I just let him have it!"
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I need a walking stick/ clubbing opossums and Raccoons to death stick. Bent my fiskars rake handle the other night dispatching an opossum.
View Quote
They make a poly(propylene?) Sjambok which is great for whacking critters.

Dirt cheap and fun.

https://www.coldsteel.com/sjambok-42.html

https://www.coldsteel.com/sjambok-54-clampack.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#34]
War hammer is out of stock at coldsteel.com. I bought it at knifecenter and told them why.

Now I will have to tell my wife and employees why I bought a War Hammer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The only Cold Steel I own at the moment, R1.  It's a good blade, now that Benchmade has shown their true colors, I'll be looking at Cold Steel more.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0145_JPG-854417.jpg
View Quote
I have one of those as well, sharp as shit.

Do they even make them anymore?  All I can find on their web site is the rubber training version.

I'm buying three vintage CS folders this week, but from a fellow Arfcomer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Now, what about CRKT?
View Quote
I like their stuff also i hope they have been doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah. Still popular with quite a few of them. They were also issued the Recon Tanto folder for a while from what I understand.
View Quote
They are nice knives.

A few years ago I was watching one of my favorite repeat movies - Black Rain.  When Sato pulled the knife on Michael Douglas, I started looking for a similar knife on the net.  Came across Cold Steel's site and started looking at all their knives and saw an interesting knife that of course I did not need.

Their dual edged OSS.   Saw their videos on it.  Read some reviews.  And then saw this youtube video.

Sold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aot5PjjAntc

The Cold Steel OSS... this knife is truly a life-saver
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Ordered 2 new Cold Steel fixed blade knives this morning!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#40]
For those who have CS knives with the cheap rubber handles, there are some nice custom upgrades you can see if you google for them. It's amazing how nice a CS knife can get fancied up if you want.

Sunrise Custom Knives (repair) Might tempt you to upgrade the handle even if it still works.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are the poly training blades worth anything? My boys are 5 & 6, they'd be super stoked to get an awesome new sword to play with.
View Quote
They're tough. A bit heavy. Useful training tools.

The sword sized ones: I don't know if I'd turn little kids loose with them unattended. They're stiff, so they can still impale things. And they are heavy enough to beat someone to injury.

The knife sized ones may be less of a problem, depending.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Now  i need to buy another Cold Steel.  Recommendations for an around the camp folder for hiking?  Something larger and beatable for pocket carry but not heavy enough it makes sense to carry a fixed blade.
View Quote
Rajah III
Rajah III
Rajah III
And a
Rajah III
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top