Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Same. I'm going to let this marinate until tomorrow night around 7:00, so it'll be ready Tuesday evening.
View Quote
I used to see Dales all the time but I haven't seen it for a couple of years now

Let me know how it is and I might ask you to buy me a bottle or two and bring it to Cola
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
I used to see Dales all the time but I haven't seen it for a couple of years now

Let me know how it is and I might ask you to buy me a bottle or two and bring it to Cola
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same. I'm going to let this marinate until tomorrow night around 7:00, so it'll be ready Tuesday evening.

I was about to tell you to get it on Amazon but their prices are ridiculous, and I bought mine at Fresh Market which is a more expensive store.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 5:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bartholomew_Roberts] [#3]

Thanks! I saw the Northstar looking online.  Has anyone used either?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

There's one company that clearly supplies Northern Virginia with ground bison but that's about it. There's a cool schitzo butcher in Springfield/Burke that has interesting meats like Bison/Rabbit/Ostrich/etc so if i want a Buffalo steak I usually go there.

I've ever had bison eye of round.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]

There's one company that clearly supplies Northern Virginia with ground bison but that's about it. There's a cool schitzo butcher in Springfield/Burke that has interesting meats like Bison/Rabbit/Ostrich/etc so if i want a Buffalo steak I usually go there.

I've ever had bison eye of round.
View Quote

Hmmm, might have to settle for some of my neighbor's grass fed cattle as I can't find it even at the specialty butcher shops by me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]

I was about to tell you to get it on Amazon but their prices are ridiculous, and I bought mine at Fresh Market which is a more expensive store.
View Quote
Just checked Amazon and they want $9 for a bottle
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes

Fucking stupid. I think this was like $3 lmao
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to experiment with marinade time. I threw one tray in and am letting the rest stay in the bag. I have had a batch over salty, so I'm curious if a brief marinade is enough for tasty jerky. The nice thing is, I will still be able to stay on current timeline, while also guaranteeing myself jerky to eat tomorrow while I make more jerky.

Science
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I need to make another batch. The dehydrator is waiting and willing. I need to go get more beef.

Is it possible to do an halved skirt steak?

Were going to find out this week. Thoughts or comments on my retardations?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:
I need to make another batch. The dehydrator is waiting and willing. I need to go get more beef.

Is it possible to do an halved skirt steak?

Were going to find out this week. Thoughts or comments on my retardations?
View Quote

Skirt works but in my opinion the best jerky comes from the cheapest cuts.

Ideally I would get barely certified beef that has zero marbling.

It is the opposite of regular beef eating
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#13]
You're looking for pure muscle and pure muscle only. I think the cheat code here is probably discount grocers, I'm going to try that next.

You can order pure muscle meats, such as Merlot but they're funny enough, expensive. This makes market sense because if you're seeking a specific cut, the market knows what you want and charges you for convenience.

I think the real key here is to go to Aldi or something and get pure muscle without the label
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to experiment with marinade time. I threw one tray in and am letting the rest stay in the bag. I have had a batch over salty, so I'm curious if a brief marinade is enough for tasty jerky. The nice thing is, I will still be able to stay on current timeline, while also guaranteeing myself jerky to eat tomorrow while I make more jerky.

Science
View Quote

Started a batch yesterday afternoon that marinated in soy ginger garlic for less than 30 minutes, turned out good today. Soaked up most of the juice in that time, lots of manual churning. Beef eye of round roast pretty thinly sliced.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Calculating:

Started a batch yesterday afternoon that marinated in soy ginger garlic for less than 30 minutes, turned out good today. Soaked up most of the juice in that time, lots of manual churning. Beef eye of round roast pretty thinly sliced.
View All Quotes

Science

Thank you brother.

Do you have any tips on getting it thin without buying a dedicated slicer? I can get it thin but I lack consistency
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Thank you brother.

Do you have any tips on getting it thin without buying a dedicated slicer? I can get it thin but I lack consistency
View Quote

Coming in real late but the way I get thin slices is a stupid sharp knife and a mostly still froze chunk of beef.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Thank you brother.

View Quote

I just do the partial freeze method, but I also lack consistency. I don't mind a few thicker slices when digging through the bag though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Thank you brother.

View Quote

Whiskers, I can recommend this, even though it's not what you asked for. I've got an older version of this that has served me well.

Amazon Product
  • Full stainless steel sliding food carriage. 180 watt motor/120 volt. Never immerse the Motor of this appliance in water or other liquid

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Whatthetruck:

Coming in real late but the way I get thin slices is a stupid sharp knife and a mostly still froze chunk of beef.
View Quote

I just do the partial freeze method, but I also lack consistency. I don't mind a few thicker slices when digging through the bag though.
View Quote

This makes me happy to hear. I also do partial freeze and just try to have a sharp knife.

Perhaps I should just be content with what I create. a fine lesson to learn in creating meat.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Thank you brother.

View All Quotes

Science

Thank you brother.

Have you tried throwing in the freezer for a bit before cutting? Makes it easier
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ruckus:

Whiskers, I can recommend this, even though it's not what you asked for. I've got an older version of this that has served me well.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00L07TNSM
View All Quotes

Thank you brother.

Interesting. When I worked at a deli our blades were not serrated
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Have you tried throwing in the freezer for a bit before cutting? Makes it easier
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Science

Thank you brother.

Yeah for sure, that's my normal play. An excellent suggestion brother
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Serrated blades or not. If consistency is what thou seeketh, than this method be thy grail.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#24]
At Cola East I will attempt to make primitive jerky over a campfire.

I will provide updates on that. Full disclosure, I'm going to enjoy modern day benefits such as cutting and marinating before hand. I'm just curious how it will turn out over an open fire.

Gentlemen, we will rediscover western civilization.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Serrated blades or not. If consistency is what thou seeketh, than this method be thy grail.
View All Quotes

Based
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#26]

This makes me happy to hear. I also do partial freeze and just try to have a sharp knife.

Perhaps I should just be content with what I create. a fine lesson to learn in creating meat.
View Quote

I'm with you. Never settle, always strive to improve.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Calculating] [#27]

View Quote

Wow. $100? Shit that's on my list now. Thanks for sharing.

ETA: I just got a Nesco vacuum sealer I am very happy with. My foodsaver bit the dust during a move.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I marinate mine for about a week in a vacuum sealed jar then smoke it for 6 hours or so on my offset smoker. Thick sliced with pecan or cherry wood smoke.

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s why I like eye of round. Ultra lean.

We have a discount grocery here that has a very small meat area. The meat is all very lean unless you’re looking through things very closely. Their precut carne asada was great in the dehydrator. I should have let it marinate longer.

I will try and find the leanest flank/skirt steak and see what I can do. The best jerky I ever had was venison rib meat and it way beyond epic. It is the standard I judge all others by.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#30]
My name is Brisk, and I am a jerky noob.

How well would well-trimmed stew beef chunks work if sliced thin?  (I already made the mistake of making kebabs from them - tasty but tough as a tire.)

I would use my gas oven as I do not have anything else suitable for drying.  Well, maybe the clothes dryer, but Briskette would object to that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Brisk:

How well would well-trimmed stew beef chunks work if sliced thin?  (I already made the mistake of making kebabs from them - tasty but tough as a tire.)

I would use my gas oven as I do not have anything else suitable for drying.  Well, maybe the clothes dryer, but Briskette would object to that.
View Quote

Stew meat may work, but I suspect it may be tough as well.

Gas oven, smoker, dehydrator, whatever you got keep the temp as low as possible for as long as you can.

Example, my cheap ass dehydrator set on it's lowest setting is 95° and I usually go for about 12 hours.

Come back with more questions.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]
At Cola East I will attempt to make primitive jerky over a campfire.

I will provide updates on that. Full disclosure, I'm going to enjoy modern day benefits such as cutting and marinating before hand. I'm just curious how it will turn out over an open fire.

Gentlemen, we will rediscover western civilization.
View Quote
I will do my part and help with the scientific documentation process, for science of course
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Brisk:

View Quote

@Brisk

Look up Alton Browns box fan jerky technique, it works and is talked about in this thread.

I have a Nesco I got cheap barely used off Facebook marketplace.  Lots of people buy dehydrators and never use them, they are really cheap used and frequently barely used if at all.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Aldi meats

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Mondo hunk of Sams club butchery meat

I like to dry the outside at 700 degrees

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:05:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#36]
Dang, $4.68 a pound now

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I saw this little retard on the package, saw it was made in Alabama and had over 50% of your sodium intake in one tablespoon, so that's all I needed to know.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/Screenshot_20231008_141830_Gallery-2983903.jpg
View Quote

EVERY burger my dad cooked me growing up in Alabama was marinated in Dale’s…..damn good memories. I wish you well on your quest.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Turned out well. I like the Dale's.

Slightly concerned that if it's of good taste now after 1hr of marinade the 24hr marinade might be too salty. I guess we'll see. That batch is in now, here's the batch from yesterday:

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Miserable rainy day in nepa so I'm going to slice up a deer and some local butchered cow to marinate. There might be some tree rat in there if this fat bastard doesn't stop taunting me
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll bring some tactical meat to CW east
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
I'll bring some tactical meat to CW east https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326579/PXL_20231014_191129598_MP-2991485.jpg
View Quote

That's pretty tactical. You tossed meat in a box
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I'll toss my meat in your mouth next week
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Wew
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Entire mid size nepa doe minus the back straps and ground meat

Soaking like a Mormon
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Entire mid size nepa doe minus the back straps and ground meathttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326579/PXL_20231014_220352577_MP-2991750.jpg

Soaking like a Mormon
View Quote

Oh damn you're going to do a batch
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I always do a whole deer at a time hommie. Premium marinade ingredients are spendy during FJB days
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Entire mid size nepa doe minus the back straps and ground meathttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326579/PXL_20231014_220352577_MP-2991750.jpg

Soaking like a Mormon
View Quote

Sweet baby Jesus.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#48]

I always do a whole deer at a time hommie. Premium marinade ingredients are spendy during FJB days
View All Quotes

Well if the stupid federal government let us make our own country we could just eat beef jerky and shoot guns all the day and the wife's car would be a V12 because the men drove compound turbo diesel trucks.

And no one would need to roll coal because there wouldn't be any libtards so we would always opt for power tunes on the ECU.

Also bars would have rifle racks and golf is illegal because those courses are now well maintained rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Well if the stupid federal government let us make our own country we could just eat beef jerky and shoot guns all the day and the wife's car would be a V12 because the men drove compound turbo diesel trucks.

And no one would need to roll coal because there wouldn't be any libtards so we would always opt for power tunes on the ECU.

Also bars would have rifle racks and golf is illegal because those courses are now well maintained rifle ranges.
View Quote

If it makes you feel better my toy car is a rotary with every emissions bull shit gutted, gets terrible mpg, is designed to burn oil and I premix 2 stroke with my gas
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I need to try the dehydrator method.

I've been making jerky the same way forever: 1/2 cup salt / 1/2 cup sugar cover brine in the fridge overnight; Little Chief smoker; Hickory chips for smoke.

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top