View Quote
Sweet mother of GOD
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

JFC
what the hell is that?

Tomorrow, I break out my new dehydrator.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eowen370] [#5]
Smoker I made from an old freezer.  My old one is gettin close to the point I can't rebuild it anymore.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello yes I would like one entire package of eye of round

New butcher: wut

Old butcher: he wants the entire eye of round before we cut it up, you'll get to know him
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an FYI, but one can track the amazon price of the magic mill on camelcamelcamel using its ID : B06XZV5RY8

Also - this thread needs a pemmican adjunct.  Jerky + tallow FTW.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Subbed for recipes.  I've got an Excaliber 9 tray and a jerky gun.  I made jerky a couple years ago with varying levels of success.  I prefer very dry (almost brittle) jerky, with lots of spice and flavor.  You should have to tear the jerky apart and let it soak with saliva in your mouth to release the flavor.  Yum!

Last time I bought "jerky meat" from the local butcher shop.  I believe it was a round, and they pre-sliced it.  I'd like to start eating healthier and get in better shape.  Having convenient, healthier snacks is a part of that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
Subbed for recipes.  I've got an Excaliber 9 tray and a jerky gun.  I made jerky a couple years ago with varying levels of success.  I prefer very dry (almost brittle) jerky, with lots of spice and flavor.  You should have to tear the jerky apart and let it soak with saliva in your mouth to release the flavor.  Yum!

Last time I bought "jerky meat" from the local butcher shop.  I believe it was a round, and they pre-sliced it.  I'd like to start eating healthier and get in better shape.  Having convenient, healthier snacks is a part of that.
View Quote

I don't use the jerky gun, I use lean cuts like eye of round as you mentioned. I pay anywhere between $5/$8 a pound.

Slice WITH the grain to get that beautiful chew you're after.

Basics are soy sauce or liquid aminos, Worchestershire, garlic and some form of spicy pepper to taste.

I've messed with pickle brine, mustard and lots of other stuff as well with good results.

Avoid super long marinades or you'll just get chewy soy sauce
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

I don't use the jerky gun, I use lean cuts like eye of round as you mentioned. I pay anywhere between $5/$8 a pound.

Basics are soy sauce or liquid aminos, Worchestershire, garlic and some form of spicy pepper to taste.

I've messed with pickle brine, mustard and lots of other stuff as well with good results.

View Quote

What's considered super long marinade times?
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
@WhiskersTheCat I made you some but then we ate it all.

I’m headed back into the woods to get more ingredients.  The meat shop closes up for the season on Saturday.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Nyle_AR15:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nyle_AR15:

I keep going down in time actually. 24 hours was way too much. 12 is probably too much. I usually will stick it in the bag then go do stuff and come back so I'd say I do anywhere from 5-8 hours now.

I still dehydrate 24hrs on 95° which is the lowest temperature the magic mill will go to. I can eat some small thin pieces (and I do rob the dehydrator) after about 12hrs but the bigger thicker pieces from me being a human take longer to dry
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JimPope:
@WhiskersTheCat I made you some but then we ate it all.

I’m headed back into the woods to get more ingredients.  The meat shop closes up for the season on Saturday.

View Quote

That will happen. I'm robbing the shit out of my dehydrator this morning and it's not even done
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
WE'RE GOING TO RUN THIS BITCH UNTIL IT BREAKS OR CATCHES FIRE

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TX_M1:

This man speaks the truth, subscribe to his newsletter.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TX_M1:
The first thing you need to know about jerky is how gay the government is.

Never listen to the government about anything.

The stupid government wants you to dehydrate meat at 165° and that's stupid and gay. I've done it, just to prove how stupid the government is and it's trash. I believe @Subnet makes his jerky by literally putting meat next to a fan.

You do not need a lot of heat. Current batch is running 24hrs on 90°

This man speaks the truth, subscribe to his newsletter.

Tagscribed. Whiskers is always a good time to read. Usually spot on but always entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Try this one

https://a.co/d/gKJ5Kao

If you put it in your cart and wait they'll have a sale, I saved like $50 off the current price
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
Do you have a license for this!!!1???

I hate the government so much it's unreal

Here's me pointing a loaded gun at the jerky I have dehydrating right now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/Screenshot_20230903_131738_Gallery-2941326.jpg
Careful dude "They" might think your serious, and put you on the extra special list.

What dehydrator are you running?

I listed it in the OP.

It's a magic mill
This is what the link shows me
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110810/IMG_0909_png-2941379.JPG

Try this one

If you put it in your cart and wait they'll have a sale, I saved like $50 off the current price

Thanks Whiskers
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:23:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#17]
Originally Posted By pilotshark:

Thanks Whiskers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pilotshark:
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
Do you have a license for this!!!1???

I hate the government so much it's unreal

Here's me pointing a loaded gun at the jerky I have dehydrating right now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/Screenshot_20230903_131738_Gallery-2941326.jpg
Careful dude "They" might think your serious, and put you on the extra special list.

What dehydrator are you running?

I listed it in the OP.

It's a magic mill
This is what the link shows me
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110810/IMG_0909_png-2941379.JPG

Try this one

Thanks Whiskers

No problem brother.

It appears the $50 off is going on currently. So if you're interested, great time to snag one. I wasn't shitposting, I run this thing A LOT.  I probably eat 5lbs to 10lbs of jerky a week now. It is perfect for when you're off work. I leave a plate out. I have enjoyed many a meal of just beef jerky, which I could not afford otherwise. It's quick, easy, delicious and filling.

Your body craves the red meat. Feed it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
(That's a pre dehydrated number. I have no clue what it weighs dried)

But 5lbs of eye of round is usually about 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
John Harvey Kellogg (February 26, 1852 – December 14, 1943) was an American businessman, inventor, physician,[1] and advocate of the Progressive Movement.[2] He was the director of the Battle Creek Sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan, founded by members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Kellogg was a horrible man.

Young Girls would come to him with anxiousness and he would burn their privates with carbolic acid.

But it doesn't mean he was wrong. Red meat does increase sex drive and it does increase masculinity. So he knew these things and rebelled against humanity. He is the main reason (note progressivism) behind the government wanting to keep people weak, sick and without drive.

Both men and women thrive on meat. Our bodies need it. It makes us who we are.

Eat a fuck ton of meat, if you're unhappy I would like to hear your story. I'm not on any sort of diet. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm just relating to you that Kellogg is a monster, cornflakes were designed to keep kids from becoming men, and you feel better when you eat meat.

Nothing fills the stomach better and more honestly than meat.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I am experimenting with extended drying times currently. Per usual, I'm not isolating scientific inputs but rather trying to achieve a goal.

What I mean by this is I'll start a batch overnight. As the batch shrinks due to lack of moisture, I'll consolidate those trays then move them to the upper and lower most part of the dehydrator.

Then I'll add more meat, but center it on the trays that directly are impacted by the fan.

Notes to follow, science already ruined by eating the product randomly
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Dehydrated red meat is equally hated by the government as much as firearms are.

You stock extra mags and cartridges, you should stock dehydrated red meat. Regretfully, I am not at that point yet because I eat it. But the theory is sound.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Month 5

I am still making jerky at least every week, sometimes more. Red meat consumption will continue to increase.

Because the globalists are cutting off the fertilizer supply under the false religion of climate change, my local store was out of Eye of Round today. It was then I decided to take a gamble on something called Primal Sirloin. Now it's normally CLEARLY way too fatty to use for jerky, but the muscle itself looked more fibrous than normal which intrigued me, so I got 4.5lbs anyways. Since this is for eating and not for long term Boogaloo storage, I figure it'll be fine.

Did I make a mistake or will it be delicious? I have no idea, but this isn't baking, it's dehydrating meat. Therefore we are going to gain knowledge through experience. So let's dry this crazy fibrous fatty beef

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay the dead animal flesh goes into the dehydrator. Let's see if this was a good idea or the idea of a stupid retarded faggot.

I might go over 24hrs on this experiment

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay the dead animal flesh goes into the dehydrator. Let's see if this was a good idea or the idea of a stupid retarded faggot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240203_170952-3117202.jpg
View Quote

I cordially disagree with your assessment of the idea.

The idea - "Try dehydrating a different cut of beef" is a sound one.  The results may or not be what you hope for, but:

"There is no such thing as a failed experiment, only experiments with unexpected outcomes." (R. Buckminster Fuller)

"You must be imaginative.  Strong hearted.  You must try things that may not work." (Augusta Gusteau, "Ratatouille")

"You failed!"
"And it was awesome!"
"From failure, you learn.  From success, not so much." (Robinson family, "Meet the Robinsons")

"There is no great genius without a touch of madness.” (Aristotle)
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Brisk:

The idea - "Try dehydrating a different cut of beef" is a sound one.  The results may or not be what you hope for, but:

"There is no such thing as a failed experiment, only experiments with unexpected outcomes." (R. Buckminster Fuller)

"You must be imaginative.  Strong hearted.  You must try things that may not work." (Augusta Gusteau, "Ratatouille")

"You failed!"
"And it was awesome!"
"From failure, you learn.  From success, not so much." (Robinson family, "Meet the Robinsons")

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brisk:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240203_170952-3117202.jpg

"You failed!"
"And it was awesome!"

Plus it kinda looks like bacon
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eowen370] [#26]
It will be delicious.

I have used a little fatty cuts before.  A little greasy but still good.

Keep an eye on it & dab the grease off if it starts to render.  As long as you eat it or freeze it in a reasonable amount of time the fat won't sour.

Edited for drunk spelling!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#27]
They wrote an article about men like you and I recently

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/Screenshot_20230903_130457_Samsung_Inter-2941309.jpg
View Quote

I have half a cow coming to me at the end of the week.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for reminding me I have a big doe in the freezer I need to turn into jerky
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Eowen370:
It will be delicious.

I have used a little fatty cuts before.  A little greasy but still good.

Keep an eye on it & dab the grease off if it starts to render.  As long as you eat it or freeze it in a reasonable amount of time the cat won't sour.
View Quote

I always get a few pieces that have fat in them, and it's fine. I like them as you mentioned. But I've never done a batch with this much fat.

It'll be gone in 2-3 days tops.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

I have half a cow coming to me at the end of the week.
View Quote

Originally Posted By weapons_free:
Thanks for reminding me I have a big doe in the freezer I need to turn into jerky
View Quote

Gentlemen, yes. Acquire red meat. Eat red meat. Dehydrate red meat for later, and honestly just for snacks
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:02:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROTCatCU] [#31]
I don't love wild duck so how about we try jerky.. I've got some breast sliced and marinating, tomorrow ill put some in the new hobby deydrator that Santa brought. I take it 95 degrees is the recommended temp?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ROTCatCU:
I don't love wild duck so how about we try jerky.. I've got some breast sliced and marinating, tomorrow ill put some in the new hobby deydrator that Santa brought. I take it 95 degrees is the recommended temp?
View Quote

First off I'm really excited to see duck jerky.

Second off, yeah I've found low Temps with longer exposure to air circulation is the key. I wish I could go lower honestly
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Also cut with the grain, you're looking for a tough good dry chew
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

OK this looks incredible. I think it's going to end up awesome.

I don't have a dehydrator just yet, but I think it's going to happen soon. Thankfully we have a local butcher shop that sells excellent jerky for $19/lb. I just bought 3 pounds this morning to snack on for the week.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Parke1:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240203_135528-3116947.jpg

OK this looks incredible. I think it's going to end up awesome.

I don't have a dehydrator just yet, but I think it's going to happen soon. Thankfully we have a local butcher shop that sells excellent jerky for $19/lb. I just bought 3 pounds this morning to snack on for the week.
View Quote

I hope so.

One of my favorite things about jerky is the human element. Because I'm slicing everything by hand sometimes I'll get really thin jerky with no fat and it's crunchy and awesome, but in the same batch I might have a long strip which is really hard and chewy, and then another medium piece with a fat tract.

I've never done a batch where every piece has a run of fat
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Is your avatar pictures of mom?

In for the end result
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chaingun] [#37]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
Not trying to hi jack an awesome thread .. but i have been smoking some King salmon into salmon jerky for the last couple days ..it came out AWESOME
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281590/IMG_2974-2941375.jpg
View Quote
Do you eat the skin?

That looks really good, almost like a candied jerk

Update: I'm replying to posts from some 10 years ago
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Is your avatar pictures of mom?

In for the end result
View Quote

Multiple end results are already here brother this is an old thread
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I buy most of my beef through (as I like to call him) the beef schitzo. https://beefinitiative.com/ This guy is trying to decentralize the beef supply, so if you don't have any local ranchers this is a good way to support ranchers by buying direct.

The beef supply is largely controlled by government regulation and meat processors. You can bypass the government kinda, all beef still must be inspected, but if you have a good rancher it's needless for either of you to pay for USDA grading.  Meat processing will be a tougher nut to crack, but buying American beef is not only good for the country, it's better beef. Normally American beef is sold at a premium while we import inferior beef from other countries. I personally prefer Nebraskan and Texan beef. I've tried Wyoming beef, but it was a weird Scottish cow long hair breed and it was the only beef I've ever had that was too flavorful for me.

I got a few filets I'm never going to cook because I don't particularly like that cut compared to ribeyes/etc so I'm going to make jerky with it as an opposite to my super fatty meat I did today. (Normally I buy beef from this site in packages so I kinda got these by default)

Noooooooo you can't make filet mignon jerky noooooooooo

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#40]
tfw no new jerky pics from wtc
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Parke1:
tfw no new jerky pics from wtc
View Quote

Still drying sir

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bartholomew_Roberts] [#42]
How about some jerky marinade sharing?  I like this one as a nice base to work with.  I add some Prague powder for food safety and a little of my dried jalapeños rojas.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58946/dads-jerky-marinade/

I ditch the liquid smoke, because I use real smoke.  And I ditch the hot sauce sometimes. It's a fairly savory/salty marinade, so not for the sweet jerky guys.  And it's pretty tame on the spicy side as well.  Going to throw 2lbs of top round on the smoker in a few days.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
How about some jerky marinade sharing?  I like this one as a nice base to work with.  I add some Prague powder for food safety and a little of my dried jalapeños rojas.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58946/dads-jerky-marinade/

It's a fairly savory/salty marinade, so not for the sweet jerky guys.  And it's pretty tame on the spicy side as well.  Going to throw 2lbs of top round on the smoker in a few days.
View Quote

Sure.

Fill measuring cup to 1/3 cup with Liquid Aminos
Fill same measuring cup with enough Worchestershire to reach 1/2 cup
A spoon of Dijon mustard
A spattering of garlic powder
About 1/2 as much black pepper as you did garlic
A dash of hot sauce is your choosing
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I've got 10 lbs of jerky meat ordered from the local butcher shop for pickup later this week.  I'm looking forward to making jerky again in my Excaliber.  I think I may try the hamburger jerky gun as well, just because I've never used it.

Time to go back and look through this thread for recipe / ingredient lists.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#46]
My fancy jerky slicer:
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Last time I laid them on the grill because I was lazy.  This time I'm going to toothpick them and let em hang.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Last time I laid them on the grill because I was lazy.  This time I'm going to toothpick them and let em hang.
View Quote

This is the way but you gotta get airflow
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#50]

This is the way but you gotta get airflow
View Quote

It's a bullet smoker, so it should have a decent draft.  I'm adding Prague powder to the marinade and doing a 300F 10 minute pre heat for food safety. Winds are like 25mph today so zero chance of holding 150 on the smoker.  I'll let it marinate until I catch a slow day.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top