Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

I don't use the jerky gun, I use lean cuts like eye of round as you mentioned. I pay anywhere between $5/$8 a pound.

Slice WITH the grain to get that beautiful chew you're after.

Basics are soy sauce or liquid aminos, Worchestershire, garlic and some form of spicy pepper to taste.

I've messed with pickle brine, mustard and lots of other stuff as well with good results.

Avoid super long marinades or you'll just get chewy soy sauce
View Quote

Have you diddled with anything low carb/no soy/ no sugar?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]

I don't use the jerky gun, I use lean cuts like eye of round as you mentioned. I pay anywhere between $5/$8 a pound.

Basics are soy sauce or liquid aminos, Worchestershire, garlic and some form of spicy pepper to taste.

I've messed with pickle brine, mustard and lots of other stuff as well with good results.

View Quote

I find it easier to simply buy teriyaki sliced beef (not pre-marinaded) at the grocery store.  Agreed on Worcestershire, liquid aminos, hot peppers, and garlic. I also make a point of using Coke or Coke Zero.  Other ingredients may include dried ancho peppers, shallots, vinegar, honey, and crushed red pepper.  Soak overnight.

After removing the excess marinade I like to rub on some black pepper before putting it in the smoker.  Been told I should be selling batches at the local farmers market.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By futurerancher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By futurerancher:

I can try one next time, I guess I would just make a salt water brine. Probably would take even longer to dry and also you wouldn't want to marinate very long because you're introducing MORE water
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not familiar with liquid aminos.  What's the difference flavor wise vs. soy sauce?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
I'm not familiar with liquid aminos.  What's the difference flavor wise vs. soy sauce?
View Quote

No wheat whereas soy sauce has wheat, and also less salt
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]

No wheat whereas soy sauce has wheat, and also less salt
View Quote

Thanks for the tip! Since I'm adding Prague powder to the marinade, a less salty option is great.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I know we've got a lot of dehydrator guys here.  Who's doing this on a smoker?  Any tips?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
1. I was going to buy a dehydrator today but I got waylaid at the gun shop and bought a 10mm and my first suppressor.

2. Anyone here ever made biltong?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I know we've got a lot of dehydrator guys here.  Who's doing this on a smoker?  Any tips?
View Quote

Unsure what you have for a smoker.  I leave all of my side vents open & then will shut the stack most of the way.  You need to keep air flowing to get rid of the moisture.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Eowen370:

Unsure what you have for a smoker.  I leave all of my side vents open & then will shut the stack most of the way.  You need to keep air flowing to get rid of the moisture.
View Quote

Weber Smokey Mountain, I almost always smoke with the top vent full open and control the temperature with the intake vents.  At 150F, it's a challenge to hold the temperature in that range.  Today, 25mph winds - so that's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
It's fine but it is more greasy/fatty

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#15]

Excess of fat but it's fine

It tastes good but it's less jerky like. (Obviously) the fat with the meat actually tastes pretty great it's just different
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240204_213844-3118727.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240204_214012-3118728.jpg

It tastes good but it's less jerky like. (Obviously) the fat with the meat actually tastes pretty great it's just different
View Quote

Not guilty
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Parke1:

Not guilty
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Parke1:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240204_213844-3118727.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240204_214012-3118728.jpg

Not guilty

Lean meat definitely still wins

Fat meat still pretty good plus you get fats
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

This is my favorite jerky I ever had, from a now-closed meat market in the middle of nowhere, north-central Ohio.  It had a LOT of fat in it and ended up with a more tender texture, but the flavor was out of this world.

Man I miss that stuff.

Lets face it, though.  The best jerky is the jerky that's in my house.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I never shared my jerky when you were here last month.

Next time.

I’ve got a couple venison back straps marinading now.  Tonight it goes into the freezer for about 15 mins to stiffen up for slicing, then into the dehydrator.

Next batch is going to be bear.  Haven’t tried that yet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JimPope:
I never shared my jerky when you were here last month.

Next time.

I’ve got a couple venison back straps marinading now.  Tonight it goes into the freezer for about 15 mins to stiffen up for slicing, then into the dehydrator.

Next batch is going to be bear.  Haven’t tried that yet.
View Quote

BEAR JERKY YES
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#21]

BEAR JERKY YES
View Quote

I will send you some.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I did the high/low strategy and it's interesting. Bottom is filet mignon, it is (mostly) colored different because the majority of it I did nothing to. No spices no nothing, just dried. Confirmed delicious but honestly a waste of money.

Right side is the Primal cut, left side is fuck it let's do it fatty

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Do you eat the skin?

That looks really good, almost like a candied jerk

Update: I'm replying to posts from some 10 years ago
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
Not trying to hi jack an awesome thread .. but i have been smoking some King salmon into salmon jerky for the last couple days ..it came out AWESOME
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281590/IMG_2974-2941375.jpg
Do you eat the skin?

That looks really good, almost like a candied jerk

Update: I'm replying to posts from some 10 years ago

When I smoke salmon, it is marinated with the skin on. I then start the smoke and after an hour or so the fat under the skin has rendered and the skin peels off easily and I just let it finish that way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

When I smoke salmon, it is marinated with the skin on. I then start the smoke and after an hour or so the fat under the skin has rendered and the skin peels off easily and I just let it finish that way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79749/smoked_salmon_jpg-3121431.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79749/smoked_salmon2_jpg-3121432.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#25]
The globalists are trying to attack the supply of eye of round
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#26]
We're not going to stop.

We're going to eat lots of red meat. We're going to dehydrate it for snacks. It will be delicious. It will be nutritious. The government will be stupid. We will ingest quality protein. We will be happy. We will share it with whom we choose. We will eat it or vacuum pack it at our discretion. Will will bring it into the woods. We will share the gift of jerky with other bros.

We will win.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to do some grassfed bison in a bad way; but the only stuff I can find is online - and that's $40 for the meat and another $40 in shipping.  That's a bit more than I want to spend on jerky.  Tried some of my specialty butcher shops; but the few who had bison had just the good cuts, not anything lean for jerky.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I want to do some grassfed bison in a bad way; but the only stuff I can find is online - and that's $40 for the meat and another $40 in shipping.  That's a bit more than I want to spend on jerky.  Tried some of my specialty butcher shops; but the few who had bison had just the good cuts, not anything lean for jerky.
View Quote

Yeah $10/lb before shipping is the cheapest I've found
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

At that price, it's just cheaper to order some Prasek's already done.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Gents if you think it's a fad or a phase you don't get how great it is to snack on dried meat whenever you desire it. Many times I have decided I wasn't going to make dinner and just ate jerky.

Today another 5lbs starts
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#31]
My favorite meat processing knife is actually this monstrosity, recommended to me by @sq40.

It's good for big cuts, or even if you want thin slices. For example look at the length of each knife. I can get one good clean pass by using the giant knife, vs the traditional normal knife.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#32]
What is that knife?  You know, after my last batch ended up a little thicker than desired I tried an electric carving knife to go thinner; but the blade flexed too much to be effective.  I ended up grabbing a santoku and that worked better than the 10" butcher knife; but a little short.  Now I'm thinking that monster blade might be damn near perfect.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#33]
My favorite meat processing knife is actually this monstrosity, recommended to me by @sq40.

It's good for big cuts, or even if you want thin slices. For example look at the length of each knife. I can get one good clean pass by using the giant knife, vs the traditional normal knife.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240217_175820-3132539.jpg
View Quote

I really like mine.  Cutting brisket thin is really easy what I most often use it for.

I may slice a roast into sheets and try making some cheesesteaks,
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#34]
What is that knife?  You know, after my last batch ended up a little thicker than desired I tried an electric carving knife to go thinner; but the blade flexed too much to be effective.  I ended up grabbing a santoku and that worked better than the 10" butcher knife; but a little short.  Now I'm thinking that monster blade might be damn near perfect.
View Quote

Amazon Product
  • Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance has never looked so good at this price.

One thing of note, it said German Steel, which it is. However it IS manufactured in China which I did not know. It has worked very well for me, but I figured I would be transparent about that.

I would say I would not have bought it if I knew that, but honestly I was drinking when I saw his thread and I did zero research whatsoever and just said "Ape want giant knife. Where giant knife on internet. Ape buy giant knife" so I really put no more thinking into it than that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sq40:

I really like mine.  Cutting brisket thin is really easy what I most often use it for.

View All Quotes

I would not have thought such a giant knife would do so well for thin cuts, but I totally agree it excels in this department.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]

I would not have thought such a giant knife would do so well for thin cuts, but I totally agree it excels in this department.
View All Quotes

That surprised me too.  Its a fairly thin knife, but its so broad its stiff as hell. Its been more useful than I imagined. I bought a 6lb prime rib and easily cut my own ribeyes.  Made it simple and quick.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bartholomew_Roberts] [#37]

www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZ4LPN6

One thing of note, it said German Steel, which it is. However it IS manufactured in China which I did not know. It has worked very well for me, but I figured I would be transparent about that.

I would say I would not have bought it if I knew that, but honestly I was drinking when I saw his thread and I did zero research whatsoever and just said "Ape want giant knife. Where giant knife on internet. Ape buy giant knife" so I really put no more thinking into it than that.
View Quote

I started looking at those on Amazon, pretty much every brand on there is made in China. German steel. Japanese Steel. American steel. Country of origin: China.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#38]
FYI: using toothpicks, 2.5lbs of meat goes onto an 18" Weber with room to spare.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I use a small meat slicer. Just pulled out a bunch of venison today so I can start my next batch.

Quick question tho, does shooting the dehydrator change the flavor or texture? I'm hesitant to try it
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

I use a small meat slicer. Just pulled out a bunch of venison today so I can start my next batch.

Quick question tho, does shooting the dehydrator change the flavor or texture? I'm hesitant to try it
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

A meat slicer would be nice but I don't really have the room. I bet it would be great for consistency.

On the flip side, it's nice to have different cuts which happen naturally.

The gun pointing meme is just something @CajunMojo and I do for lulz.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I love jerky.

How have I missed this thread for so long?  

I wonder if I can use my sauna to make jerky.  It can get up to 200 degrees, and it's a dry heat.

Also, as a bonus, my sauna would smell like meat!!!  
View Quote

Airflow is more important than heat brother.

We're removing water not cooking. It sounds stupid but it's a really important distinction. I kind of want to set up a cheesecloth barrier and try to dry jerky in the open air. I tried campfire jerky at East this year but I just ended up cooking it (kinda)
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#43]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I love jerky.

How have I missed this thread for so long?  

I wonder if I can use my sauna to make jerky.  It can get up to 200 degrees, and it's a dry heat.

Also, as a bonus, my sauna would smell like meat!!!  
View Quote

If you put a fan in there, that would probably work.  But your sauna will definitely smell like jerky.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#45]
So are any of the cheap, but highly rated, dehydrators on amazon good?  I'm talking about the ones from about $50 to $75.  Or am I better off just getting one for about $150?
View Quote

My only experience is with the one.

Another thing to keep in mind is space. I just used 8 of my 10 racks to dry a 5lb eye of round. (You're somewhat close to me, go to Fresh Market, that's the best beef within 20mi) the beef shrinks considerably during drying but that doesn't mean shit when you're starting the drying process. It will take up a lot of room.

Best bet is low temp, lots of time, and slice WITH the grain for the chew you’re after. My normal cycle is 24 hours.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#46]
So are any of the cheap, but highly rated, dehydrators on amazon good?  I'm talking about the ones from about $50 to $75.  Or am I better off just getting one for about $150?
View Quote

I have the same one as whiskersthefed and it works great
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#48]
So this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZV5RY8
View Quote

Yeah but leave it in your cart and don't buy it.

Usually you can get $20-$50 off because they'll toss in discounts if you watch and wait
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Done.  

View All Quotes

Yeah but leave it in your cart and don't buy it.

Usually you can get $20-$50 off because they'll toss in discounts if you watch and wait

Done.  

Legit I'm working mine minimum 24hrs at a time 1-2 days a week. So far so good.

To be honest I wouldn't really expect problems either, it's a fairly simple machine. If you want to get back to awesome, take the fat you trim from your eye of round. (I ask for the whole package, usually 4-5lb) and then render the fat and use that to cook stuff with.

Damn dude, animal fat is so much better than stupid vegetable oil. For EVERYTHING. I use beef fat or pig fat to cook most anything that requires oil. To include stupid stuff like you're making pasta. Cook those onions down in beef fat man. It's amazing. Cook your eggs in pork fat, amazing.

To go back to the first page, everything the government says is a lie. More true actual fats are way better than stupid seed oils. You will know this to be true because you will remember when McDonald's cooked their fries in beef fat, then were sued by stupid vegans and now they ruined the best thing they ever had.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top