Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You cannot imagine the joy of just leaving out a plate of beef jerky in your kitchen. I'm not sure how much weight is lost in the meat, because it never lasts that long.

Also, because you're (presumably) cutting by hand, you end up with different cuts. If you're hungry you get a thick cut. If you're just grabbing a snack or a quick bite you might want a thin cut that's translucent. It legit makes my day to walk through my door after work and just grab a piece of jerky from a plate in my kitchen.

I cannot tell you how happy it makes me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I need to get a dehydrator. It's expensive to eat steak everyday

My mouth is watering scrolling through this thread.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure how the hell I missed this thread this whole time, but I’m here now. And I feel great about it.

Off to research dehydrators….

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheOldRepublic:
I need to get a dehydrator. It's expensive to eat steak everyday

My mouth is watering scrolling through this thread.
View Quote

You would be surprised how cheap it is.

So a couple things. First, breakfast is a psyop. If you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat. Have a big lunch at 11 because you're hungry. Come home, maybe you're hungry again, maybe you just want a little something.

Also, meat is much more filling than trash. Meat is the key. Red meat is the ultimate key. I got 5 pounds for 5.99/lb today. That's not bad. And when I grab a snack in the next few weeks, not only do I know what's in it, it's satisfying.

Downside: you will love it and eat excessive amounts of dried meat and have turbo farts and women will hate you

The cost of doing business, or hold it. Gents, you can hold it and get both. This is western civilization 101.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tango-22:
Not sure how the hell I missed this thread this whole time, but I’m here now. And I feel great about it.

Off to research dehydrators….

View Quote

The government hates red meat. The globalists hate red meat.

You desire red meat. Make it so.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Just to throw it out there, you don't need a dehydrator to make jerky.  You can use a smoker, campfire, charcoal grill, etc.  Heck, you can make biltong at room temperature with a fan, so jerky is doable that way as well with proper food safety.  A dehydrator certainly makes it a lot easier though; but I do like the smoked flavor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Just to throw it out there, you don't need a dehydrator to make jerky.  You can use a smoker, campfire, charcoal grill, etc.  Heck, you can make biltong at room temperature with a fan, so jerky is doable that way as well with proper food safety.  A dehydrator certainly makes it a lot easier though; but I do like the smoked flavor.
View Quote

100%.

Airflow is the key to modern jerky. Smoke is the key to old fashioned jerky. Airflow beats temperature.

Cooked meat goes bad faster than dehydrated meat. To be graphic, people who died on Everest are dehydrated. To go back in time, salt was a huge preservation method. Salt is easy, you can't dry an entire cow that easy.

Jerky requires time and effort, and furthermore your effort is rewarded with less product not more. However the product you're left with is just absolutely fantastic
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
So are any of the cheap, but highly rated, dehydrators on amazon good?  I'm talking about the ones from about $50 to $75.  Or am I better off just getting one for about $150?
View Quote
@DK-Prof Look at the Nesco ones. I Hear they are g2g

I use a different Nesco and it works good
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

A meat slicer would be nice but I don't really have the room. I bet it would be great for consistency.

On the flip side, it's nice to have different cuts which happen naturally.

The gun pointing meme is just something @CajunMojo and I do for lulz.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
My favorite meat processing knife is actually this monstrosity, recommended to me by @sq40.

It's good for big cuts, or even if you want thin slices. For example look at the length of each knife. I can get one good clean pass by using the giant knife, vs the traditional normal knife.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240217_175820-3132539.jpg

I use a small meat slicer. Just pulled out a bunch of venison today so I can start my next batch.

Quick question tho, does shooting the dehydrator change the flavor or texture? I'm hesitant to try it

A meat slicer would be nice but I don't really have the room. I bet it would be great for consistency.

IT'S NOT JUST FOR DEHYDRATING ANYMORE. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

IT'S NOT JUST FOR DEHYDRATING ANYMORE. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/1000002298_jpg-3133047.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
My favorite meat processing knife is actually this monstrosity, recommended to me by @sq40.

It's good for big cuts, or even if you want thin slices. For example look at the length of each knife. I can get one good clean pass by using the giant knife, vs the traditional normal knife.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240217_175820-3132539.jpg

I use a small meat slicer. Just pulled out a bunch of venison today so I can start my next batch.

Quick question tho, does shooting the dehydrator change the flavor or texture? I'm hesitant to try it

IT'S NOT JUST FOR DEHYDRATING ANYMORE. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/1000002298_jpg-3133047.JPG

If someone got a pre shot picture of them pointing a gun at the game animal, then another of them pointing at the meat cooking it might become my favorite meme of all time
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
You cannot imagine the joy of just leaving out a plate of beef jerky in your kitchen. I'm not sure how much weight is lost in the meat, because it never lasts that long.

Also, because you're (presumably) cutting by hand, you end up with different cuts. If you're hungry you get a thick cut. If you're just grabbing a snack or a quick bite you might want a thin cut that's translucent. It legit makes my day to walk through my door after work and just grab a piece of jerky from a plate in my kitchen.

I cannot tell you how happy it makes me.
View Quote

If I left out a plate fresh jerky, my beagle would evolve wings to get to it.

My badass little air fryer / oven has a dehydrate feature I need yo try.  The bread proof function works well, same with the rotisserie, so I imagine it will do a good job.

Attachment Attached File

As an aside… i wonder how well their Pizza Batleth works?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]

You would be surprised how cheap it is.

So a couple things. First, breakfast is a psyop. If you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat. Have a big lunch at 11 because you're hungry. Come home, maybe you're hungry again, maybe you just want a little something.

Also, meat is much more filling than trash. Meat is the key. Red meat is the ultimate key. I got 5 pounds for 5.99/lb today. That's not bad. And when I grab a snack in the next few weeks, not only do I know what's in it, it's satisfying.

Downside: you will love it and eat excessive amounts of dried meat and have turbo farts and women will hate you

The cost of doing business, or hold it. Gents, you can hold it and get both. This is western civilization 101.
View Quote

The ball and chain works both ways.

Sure she has threatened my life over a fine colon blowout.  But you know what, im still here and I will have her make me beans for dinner still.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#13]
Shit… im watching Cheese on Modern Marvels while reading this thread.

Now I need to make cheese and jerky now.  

Attachment Attached File

Modern Marvels: Cheese's Glorious, Gooey History! (S13, E24) | Full Episode
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sq40:
Shit… im watching Cheese on Modern Marvels while reading this thread.

Now I need to make cheese and jerky now.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/IMG_7843_jpeg-3133214.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3TUVr809o
View Quote

We should also learn how to make cheese. You are correct.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
So I was telling my wife that I was thinking of buying a dehydrator,and she points out that our fancy convection oven has a dehydrator setting - with a temperature range from 100 to 160, so I'm totally going to try that before spending money on a new piece of equipment that will take up counter space in the kitchen.
View Quote

100 is the key. I do mine at 95° but I'm sure 100 is fine
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#17]
That's a nice thin translucent one thanks to sq40 knife

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The trouble with figuring out how long jerky keeps is it always gets eaten way before it spoils.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The trouble with figuring out how long jerky keeps is it always gets eaten way before it spoils.
View Quote

Yep we move too fast for science.

I have already begun stealing the smaller thinner slices from myself before the drying process is even done.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#20]
2.5lbs of top round.  Ended up with 16.41oz of jerky after samplers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#21]

I have already begun stealing the smaller thinner slices from myself before the drying process is even done.

View All Quotes

I'm proud of your use of too. Well done.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Also, just finished a batch of hatch chile garlic black pepper jerky. I'm a happy boy. Thanks again Whisky
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Calculating:
Also, just finished a batch of hatch chile garlic black pepper jerky. I'm a happy boy. Thanks again Whisky
View Quote

Okay WHAT

You have my attention. Tell me about this
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#24]

If someone got a pre shot picture of them pointing a gun at the game animal, then another of them pointing at the meat cooking it might become my favorite meme of all time
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This was after I shot but before I climbed down the tree.  
Best I can do, but I’ll make that a priority next season.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JimPope:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312001/IMG_0165_jpeg-3133550.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312001/IMG_4802_jpeg-3133552.JPG

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimPope:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312001/IMG_0165_jpeg-3133550.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312001/IMG_4802_jpeg-3133552.JPG

Yes, also point the gun at the meat you're cooking.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Gents, we are going to fucking win.

We will dry the meat.
We will eat it as snacks with beer.
We will eat it surrounded by firearms.

Imagine not having a plate of dried meat at home

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Imagine instead of having to make stew or hamburgers or steak you could just grab a piece of meat that can sit around all day.

Imagine having meat on demand. Do you want a meal? Eat a quarter of the plate. Do you want a snack? Have a few. Do you just want a quick meat? Grab one on your way out the door.

I cannot tell you how great it is to have a constant plate of meat, which is available at all times and will not spoil. This is the internet. I cannot bring this joy to you over text. You have to experience a dried meat plate to understand the happiness it brings
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Okay WHAT

View All Quotes

Okay WHAT

Unfortunately they don't have hatch Chile's anywhere around here I've found, so last time I was in TX I bought 5 lbs of roasted chiles to bring home. Then I dehydrated them, whacked them up in a blender with some salt for a powdered hatch mix. Sprinkled that on some soy and Worcestershire marinated eye of round roast thinly sliced with about 12 cloves of garlic minced into the marinade. Laid it all out on the trays and sprinkled granulated garlic and fresh crushed black pepper before following your suggestion of 90° for 24 hours dehydrating. Been experimenting since you started this thread, so far that's me and my kids favorite.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#29]

Unfortunately they don't have hatch Chile's anywhere around here I've found, so last time I was in TX I bought 5 lbs of roasted chiles to bring home. Then I dehydrated them, whacked them up in a blender with some salt for a powdered hatch mix. Sprinkled that on some soy and Worcestershire marinated eye of round roast thinly sliced with about 12 cloves of garlic minced into the marinade. Laid it all out on the trays and sprinkled granulated garlic and fresh crushed black pepper before following your suggestion of 90° for 24 hours dehydrating. Been experimenting since you started this thread, so far that's me and my kids favorite.
View All Quotes

Okay WHAT

You have inspired me to try new things. To increase the garlic and the peppers.

I'm absolutely in love with the 90 degree temperature and long dry time, I have found it produces excellent results
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PewPewPew1212:

In!  I have an old Nesco dehydrator I’ve used quiet a bit in the past and just last week made my first batch of jerky in a long while — didn’t turn out like I’d hoped

Anyone have a favorite recipe for ground beef jerky?
View Quote

Wish I had my grandfather's recipe for ground beef jerky, it was really good stuff, but he was a chef so everything he made was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#31]
With the grain is one of the most important things, along with airflow time.

Additionally, I've found shortened marinade times are nice, along with increased black pepper. You like meat, the taste of the meat is the ultimate goal. Can it be complimented? Absolutely. Does it need to be marinated for 12 hours? Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#32]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20240218_123311-3133235.jpg
View Quote

Good looking jerky.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Good looking jerky.
View All Quotes

Good looking jerky.

The nice part about hanging together is we get good jerky
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FS7] [#34]
So I was telling my wife that I was thinking of buying a dehydrator,and she points out that our fancy convection oven has a dehydrator setting - with a temperature range from 100 to 160, so I'm totally going to try that before spending money on a new piece of equipment that will take up counter space in the kitchen.
View Quote

Eh, a dehydrator doesn't belong on the counter. I keep mine in storage. I eat quite a bit of jerky, but even so it only gets used once every two weeks or so. No reason to keep it out taking up space.

I only have a cheap one that has zero settings too. Still makes delicious jerky.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#36]

When my wife was faculty at Vanderbilt, one of her colleagues with an officer e across the hall cured meat in his office.

So I figured I could always bring the dehydrator to my office on campus, and make jerky there!  
View Quote

You'll be popular, that's for sure.

The cheap one I use (Presto, was something like $40) is just a heating element and a fan. But the advantage of that is that the entire floor will get to enjoy the aroma of seasoned dried meat. It's not a bad idea at all, at least if you use whole meat. Ground jerky requires a cannon (like a meat caulking gun) and it gets messy. Maybe not the best for an office of higher learning.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#37]

When my wife was faculty at Vanderbilt, one of her colleagues with an officer e across the hall cured meat in his office.

So I figured I could always bring the dehydrator to my office on campus, and make jerky there!  
View Quote

Hmmm..  curing meats at home.  

Modern Marvels: The Surprising World of Cold Cuts (S13, E43) | Full Episode
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Now I want to make bresaola or biltong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

i can check my pictures but it would be a roll of the dice cause theres multiple deer in my freezer. i could probably get that pics with pheasants or lake trout (no gun) but havent made jerky with them
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#40]

i can check my pictures but it would be a roll of the dice cause theres multiple deer in my freezer. i could probably get that pics with pheasants or lake trout (no gun) but havent made jerky with them
View All Quotes

PHEASANT JERKY
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I need to up my slicing game
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Whiskers my kitchen is small too but this is the shitty little slicer I use. It works great for my needs

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

That little slicer has turned at least ten deer into jerky including the stuff I brought to east
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#45]

That little slicer has turned at least ten deer into jerky including the stuff I brought to east
View All Quotes

No no the gun thing.

The slicer does look nice though
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#46]

No no the gun thing.

View Quote

Am I doing it right yet? Just for you dehydrator pics will be one of my bullpups
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Am I doing it right yet? Just for you dehydrator pics will be one of my bullpups
View All Quotes

No no the gun thing.

Yeah. It's so stupid but funny
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Halfway done loading the dehydrator.....

I heard something off so I called in overwatch

I'll have to switch to a more cqb gun when it gets close
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Halfway done loading the dehydrator.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326579/PXL_20240221_004028377_MP-3135939.jpg

I heard something off so I called in overwatch

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326579/PXL_20240221_004131394_MP-3135940.jpg

I'll have to switch to a more cqb gun when it gets close
View Quote

That is a decent pile
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#50]

That is a decent pile
View Quote

Probably half a decent size NEPA doe worth of everything but the ground, inner loins and back straps
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top