Dikfer 9000 model.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dikfer 9000 model.

Quoted:
Getting old

Give him a break.  He has a hard time being original.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's more like 2500 meters, really hard to accurately hit anything at 3,000+ with a training round.

Maybe? I've seen them fired in training fairly often so I doubt they're that expensive now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's more like 2500 meters, really hard to accurately hit anything at 3,000+ with a training round.

Maybe? I've seen them fired in training fairly often so I doubt they're that expensive now.

Quoted:

Yeah, you're right...2500meters, after that it starts to get wonky...
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Getting old

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dikfer 9000 model.

Getting old

That never gets old.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Faith loves them.
View Quote

Great reference, I'm surprised no one else caught it yet. :)
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

60K apiece? Hell, a JDAM doesn't cost that much.

Well... I would think that is still far from the most expensive kill on the US military's books.
View Quote

The most expensive 120mm I’ve heard of yet is €10,000, and it’s tungsten APFSDS.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agree the launching of turrets is due to setting off of the rounds inside the tanks.  

The self sharpening aspect is one of the most important properties for selecting DU for penetrators which I referred to in my first post here. I see pyrophoricity nowhere mentioned in the PDF.  The idea that the burning of DU being a driver to launching turrets is laughable and shows a lack of understanding of basic physics.  Also when you are punching holes through several inches of steel with DU or tungsten at over 5500fps, there is going to be molten steel and a massive amount of heat generated no matter what the penetrator is made of and anything flammable in its path will be ignited.
View Quote
This.

The original bazooka rocket contained a steel rod inside a shaped charge, and my Uncle was taught that the shaped charge punched a hole and a combination of explosive energy and kinetic energy converted to heat melted the steel rod which then sprayed the interior of the tank, rendering the crew inert.

This was during WW II.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm trying to imagine what a hassle it must be to machine Depleted Uranium.

Flooded with lots of coolant, maybe a nitrogen atmosphere? Low RPMs?

IIRC DU is like magnesium in that it'll burn in C02 atmosphere. Putting out any chips that start on fire must be fun.
View Quote

My assumption is they’re sintered or ground *shrug*

I never noticed some were threaded.

If anyone is in the know can shed some light on this I’ve been wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never seen it or tried it myself, but guessing the rumors are somewhat true about what happens if you shoot sabot when the selector is in HEAT, MPAT or CAN.

Also, has anyone ever even seen a STAFF round?  It's some unicorn round that was important enough to have a spot on the selector at some point, but nobody I know has ever seen one in person.  IIRC, the STAFF selection was replaced with CAN and it's been so long I don't recall if there were further developments where a 5th selection was incorporated on A1s (I think A2s have 5, but never been in one myself).
View Quote

HA!  Seen it (Might actually have done it myself ) in a '60 while accidentally indexing HEP/Coax.  We called them "Moon Shots"....lol

Can I get an "OVER! B.O.T.!"...
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm trying to imagine what a hassle it must be to machine Depleted Uranium.

Flooded with lots of coolant, maybe a nitrogen atmosphere? Low RPMs?

IIRC DU is like magnesium in that it'll burn in C02 atmosphere. Putting out any chips that start on fire must be fun.
View Quote

iirc, during Desert Storm vehicles hit with DU rounds had to be decontaminated. Some soldiers became sick from inhaling DU dust
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool picture OP!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do tankers call this a "beehive" round like the artillery does?
View Quote

We did during the cold war.  I don't know about now. The M60s fired rounds full of flechettes and the Sheridan's fired rounds full of balls.  But for standardization, we called both "Beehive".
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ballistic computer selection

You turn a handle to the selected round type. It automatically calculates super elevation based on round weight, muzzle velocity etc. Your crosshairs stay on the target but the barrel is elevated properly. Think holdover on a scope but keeping the cross hairs dead nuts on your AP.

HEAT is slower than APFDS. So more elevation is added.

Set the BC to HEAT and fire a Sabot.  You could have a serious problem down range. Like waaaaay down range.
View Quote

At Graf, that got you a "cease fire, freeze, all units cease fire freeze.  Round out of the impact area!".  Or so I've been told, shuffling away.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes. You don’t want to inhale it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tungsten is toxic? How? Like if you grind it and breath the dust?

Yes. You don’t want to inhale it.

I believe that's because its thoriated but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#16]
That sounds like a definite Level Three "Oh, Shit!"
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@Tikiman001
View Quote

Seems I have been summoned.

Current project I'm working on is replica sabots to fill some empty cases.
A little less top heavy for displaying than my real ones.

Although I'm more interested in the canister shot rounds (90mm shown below):

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice.  Strangely nowhere in there does it talk about how DU is preferable because of its pyrophoricity which launches turrets 150' in the air
View Quote

That part is classified.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Haha

I understood that reference. Jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that'll punch the second wall whether it opens or not
Haha

Fucking hell, what a classic thread. And the guy kept arguing he was right!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/kim8LZa.jpg
So the "Cone" stabilized training Sabot was developed. The holes in the cone of the penetrator allow the rd to mimic ballistically a service rd out to 5000meters.
at around 7000meters the air flow is interrupted by the holes in the cone, causing a Whiffle ball effect on the rd, making it unstable and it drops like a stone.

This features keeps the rd "down" inside the standard Gunnery training ranges.

Quoted:
Then his commander found out those round are something along the lines of $60,000 a piece, so he got told he couldn't fire anymore .

There’s no way they’re that much. We were always told service sabots were around $5k each. The can round has to be even simpler to manufacture. Even if they were, no one would care and continue using the round as needed. We cared fuck all in Afghanistan about the cost of ordnance. It did get ridiculous when you’d have dudes looking for any reason to launch an $80k Javelin, but that didn’t stop anyone from shooting what amounted to the cost of a nice house in munitions.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that'll punch the second wall whether it opens or not
Haha

Linky?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kind of like people saying a single .50BMG round will cut a man in half and/or cause him to go flying through the air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has been decades but I think that may be a sabot round with a tungsten penetrator.

Legend has it that it punches an entry hole, travels through everything in its path, punches an exit hole possibly sucking parts of crewmen out when it leaves.

I've heard that but the physics don't add up.
Kind of like people saying a single .50BMG round will cut a man in half and/or cause him to go flying through the air.

Like the people saying that even if a .50 BMG round misses a human by several inches that the 'sonic velocity' will still kill the target, they 'Heard it from a Military Gunner'.
Nope.
On my 'Independence Day Shoots' I demonstrated that with a water melon with a target 1" away.
Hit target Bullseye, watermelon was fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219100/16201740955847351807702313133446-1929796.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219100/20210413_114736-1925181.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Tikiman001

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219100/16201740955847351807702313133446-1929796.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219100/20210413_114736-1925181.jpg

Great Project.
And since this IS GD, I wouldn't know of anyone 'Brave Enough'.
Well, maybe some weird chick?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Like the people saying that even if a .50 BMG round misses a human by several inches that the 'sonic velocity' will still kill the target, they 'Heard it from a Military Gunner'.
Nope.
On my 'Independence Day Shoots' I demonstrated that with a water melon with a target 1" away.
Hit target Bullseye, watermelon was fine.
View Quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopenspaces.com/a-missed-shot-with-a-50-bmg-still-kills-the-deer-you-wont-believe-how/amp/
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sabots don't like the rifling in tube artillery.
View Quote

I'm sure if we were motivated enough someone could figure out a massively upsized slap round
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Well...that’s the damndest thing I’ll see today. As someone who was in the military, who used the M2 frequently, and who thought the ‘near miss kill’ was a bullshit myth, I am amazed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Best job I ever had
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well...that’s the damndest thing I’ll see today. As someone who was in the military, who used the M2 frequently, and who thought the ‘near miss kill’ was a bullshit myth, I am amazed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Look close. He shot that deer in the head.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#29]
How about we go smaller...

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm sure if we were motivated enough someone could figure out a massively upsized slap round
View Quote

There's this guy in Kentucky that is all about ballistics.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

JFC, can people try and exercise just a little critical thinking in this thread?  Good God. If this were true, every paper target shot by a 50 would be obliterated into dust.  Instead it makes nice clean holes .5" in diameter.  Think a little.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#32]
No matter how cool it looks, it’s even more funner to shoot!
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Getting old

View Quote

Yep.

Really stupid. What are we, 9?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For those that don't know, we use depleted uranium partially because it's stupid dense and makes a fantastic penetrator but also because uranium is a pyrophoric metal. Pyrophoric metals combust spontaneously in contact with air. DU has a self-ignition temp of around 600-700 degrees which it easily reaches from the impact and the subsequent penetration of heavy armor. Meaning, that after it's penetrated the first wall of the target the DU penetrator itself is then in a highly particulated phase and it catches fire spontaneously and vigorously which creates a ball of fire inside the target that's something on the order of 5000deg F along with the concomitant pressure increase and vaporizing of flesh and then the tank turret launches 150 feet into the air. So our penetrators don't just poke holes in targets and kill the occupants with simple spall, they blow the absolute shit out of them and leave the crews looking like overcooked bacon.
View Quote

I can’t be the only person that wants to see a hi speed camera from inside a tank when that happens.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The most expensive 120mm I’ve heard of yet is €10,000, and it’s tungsten APFSDS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

60K apiece? Hell, a JDAM doesn't cost that much.

Well... I would think that is still far from the most expensive kill on the US military's books.

I probably have the figure wrong, but that's what was in my head at the time.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top