Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
All that and I still can’t get a Polish hotdog at the food court.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a nice wavy European cut. A shade under 1.25 cts.  She loves it and I love the family approval that goes along with it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are talking an entirely different class of diamond than what is available now a days, in 1910, there were very few colorless or flawless diamonds even found, and the ones that were normally ended up in collections.

Things in the diamond markets have changed a lot over the last hundred years.  Even owning a diamond was out of reach for most people in 1910, one thing you might check, is the stone  in your wife's ring a ideal cut or an old European cut, many stones in that day were cut in the Old European style, which allowed the color to be more noticeable.
It's a nice wavy European cut. A shade under 1.25 cts.  She loves it and I love the family approval that goes along with it
That's awesome and you're both lucky

Diamonds are a regulated commodity which induce artificial value.  I'd love to have an heirloom infused with meaning vs some vacuous admiration of a rocks size/quality. My grandparents didn't get out of Europe with much.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It’s a nice wavy European cut. A shade under 1.25 cts.  She loves it and I love the family approval that goes along with it
View Quote
European cut is why you are perceiving the color so much, the reflective nature of that cut is different and will enhance color, the ideal cut will lessen the perceived color, the way light enters the diamond really makes a big difference in how you see the color.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No doubt - but depends on the social set.  "Most people" don't buy 10 carat diamonds. Lol I'd at least need to sell a place or two to swing one. But climbers - climbers do. Mostly they aren't as flush as they'd have you believe - hence the size over quality. It's an arduous climb from Palo Alto to Hillsborough tho, so needs must.

As you said - virtually no one can tell between adjacent grades. Acquaintance who's come into the venerable family store quips, the grades for your wife, because she knows. The look - you buy the look for her friends (status).

Glad to see I was close to my estimates on pricing. Just went through this, would have been easier if my SO was in the biz.
View Quote
As they continue to perfect the lab grown diamonds, I really think we are going to see larger stones showing up on the market for really low prices, it will be like rhinestones and a lot of people will be wearing them.  It will enhance the prices of the larger natural diamonds, but it will dilute the diamonds in the 1 carat to 3 carat class.  Lab grown stuff is already diluting the 1 to 3 carat natural stone market.  Also with the advent of the enhanced natural stones, that is really playing games with values, that is when they infuse flawed diamonds and fill the flaws with a clear epoxy type substance and it is difficult to see even under a microscope.

We have a grading microscope and color comparison stones and it is getting real difficult on some of them to see they have been enhanced.  My first wife and I were both grads of GIA and my current wife has taken all of the classes and never took her final test.  It is amazing what they are doing with stones now a days.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why? They probably got a massive deal on it and you'd be saving a ton.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at some of the booze prices - I've seen booze behind glass for over $1000 a bottle, some higher. In Costco. If I had that kind of money I'd probably be shopping somewhere else.
Why? They probably got a massive deal on it and you'd be saving a ton.
I've seen the founder and chairman of where I work shopping at Costco. In sweats and Crocs. Probably one of the richest guys in this entire area. Company does over a billion and a half US dollars in sales a year.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen the founder and chairman of where I work shopping at Costco. In sweats and Crocs. Probably one of the richest guys in this entire area. Company does over a billion and a half US dollars in sales a year.
View Quote
Did you ask him out to lunch afterwards (your treat) at a fine establishment, like Tim Horton's?
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't get rich by buying your 72 pound wheels of exotic cheese from Central Market.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No doubt - but depends on the social set.  "Most people" don't buy 10 carat diamonds. Lol I'd at least need to sell a place or two to swing one. But climbers - climbers do. Mostly they aren't as flush as they'd have you believe - hence the size over quality. It's an arduous climb from Palo Alto to Hillsborough tho, so needs must.

As you said - virtually no one can tell between adjacent grades. Acquaintance who's come into the venerable family store quips, the grades for your wife, because she knows. The look - you buy the look for her friends (status).

Glad to see I was close to my estimates on pricing. Just went through this, would have been easier if my SO was in the biz.
View Quote
I don’t like posting about this kind of stuff, but my wife (upgraded model) comes from old money on the east coast.  Their habits are fascinating.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Leave it to arfcom to leave me craving some overpriced shit. I want some damn Iberian ham now!
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Know nothing about the "Ham Kit" but I'm assuming it's the Spanish equivalent to real Italian Prosciutto?

Keep in mind that until recently it was illegal to import such pork products which was stupid...or a plot by American pork producers to keep a superior product out of the reach of 'mericans for no other reason than pure profit.
View Quote
Yep, just moar spendy.

I’ve seen legs over $2k.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep, just moar spendy.

I’ve seen legs over $2k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Know nothing about the "Ham Kit" but I'm assuming it's the Spanish equivalent to real Italian Prosciutto?

Keep in mind that until recently it was illegal to import such pork products which was stupid...or a plot by American pork producers to keep a superior product out of the reach of 'mericans for no other reason than pure profit.
Yep, just moar spendy.

I’ve seen legs over $2k.
What's the significance of "Acorn Fed"?
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Certified for animal welfare, yeah until he ended up hobbling around on a little peg leg
View Quote
It grows back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Leave it to arfcom to leave me craving some overpriced shit. I want some damn Iberian ham now!
View Quote
Ive wanted to try it since I read an article about it years ago.

Where can I buy a pound or two?
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costco?
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't like posting about this kind of stuff, but my wife (upgraded model) comes from old money on the east coast.  Their habits are fascinating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like posting about this kind of stuff, but my wife (upgraded model) comes from old money on the east coast.  Their habits are fascinating.
Lol they got nothing on Low Country Society esp Cecilias - hell its ball season too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was in our local Costco the other day and they had one of those cheese wheels on display and for sale, you would be so plugged up after eating that stuff.

View Quote
Real, quality cheese has never plugged me up, it's the fake stuff that does it..at least to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't think Spanish jamon was available in the USA. It is uncooked, just cured by drying with salt.  It is fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wtf $560 for some ham?
View Quote
It's the Ham equivalent to Kobe Beef.   Amazing, but completely overpriced.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As they continue to perfect the lab grown diamonds, I really think we are going to see larger stones showing up on the market for really low prices, it will be like rhinestones and a lot of people will be wearing them.  It will enhance the prices of the larger natural diamonds, but it will dilute the diamonds in the 1 carat to 3 carat class.  Lab grown stuff is already diluting the 1 to 3 carat natural stone market.  Also with the advent of the enhanced natural stones, that is really playing games with values, that is when they infuse flawed diamonds and fill the flaws with a clear epoxy type substance and it is difficult to see even under a microscope.

We have a grading microscope and color comparison stones and it is getting real difficult on some of them to see they have been enhanced.  My first wife and I were both grads of GIA and my current wife has taken all of the classes and never took her final test.  It is amazing what they are doing with stones now a days.
View Quote
This is what I'm hoping for.

I'm still sourcing all the stones for my grill and it's getting pricey
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
YES YES Yes!!1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just bring back my three pound cans of Kirkland's 100% Columbian Coffee Supremo Bean Dark Roast please.

eta, for $8.41.
YES YES Yes!!1
Lemme guess, Rockwall?
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#22]
They have a 225000 dollar Bosendorfer piano for sale, so nothing surprises me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Iberico ham is legendary. The comparison to A5 Wagyu is appropriate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll take a claw and a Doomsday kit.
View Quote
A claw that big is full on clown shoes.

At best youre going to finely chop it and make a shitload of bisque.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've never had cheese like that, so excuse the ignorance, but what is the allure of a piece of cheese that old and expensive?
Is it that much better? Different? Crunchy?
What's so special about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it’s real Italian Parmigiano-Reggiano, I would have that thing eaten in an hour. I go through that stuff WAY too fast. “A little for the salad, a little for me. A little for the pasta, a little for me. A little for me, and a little for me...”

I've never had cheese like that, so excuse the ignorance, but what is the allure of a piece of cheese that old and expensive?
@kabal57

Real Italian Parmigiano-Reggiano is just leagues better than American made Parmesan. The texture and taste are noticeably different due to the way they’re made. Here’s an article I found that explains some of the key differences:
https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/parmesan-vs-parmigiano

And it really isn’t much more expensive than the American stuff. I can get a 7oz wedge of 22 month Parmigiano for $9 vs $5 for the cheap stuff.

If you get a chance, buy a wedge of each and do a side by side taste test. It’ll blow your mind and ruin cheap Parmesan for you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Costco in DC had a $37,000 bottle of scotch earlier this year. 50 years old.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll bet that'd taste good mixed with Chek cola!

Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Covap Jamon Iberico Bellota Ham Leg with Stand and Knife, 15.4 lbs.
Your Price $559.99

100% Iberico Bellota Ham
Aged Over 3 Years, Acorn Fed
Each Pig Freely Roams on a Minimum of 2  Acres
Each Pig is Raised in the Valle De Los Pedroches in Southern Spain.
Aenor Certified for Animal Welfare
https://images.costco-static.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=12026540&imageId=1368553-847__1&recipeName=350
View Quote
I think they are finished eating only acorns and olives for the last few months.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Your Price $559.99

100% Iberico Bellota Ham
https://images.costco-static.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=12026540&imageId=1368553-847__1&recipeName=350
View Quote
Saw that in store on Friday and was tempted then I came to my senses

ETA I did leave with two prime ribs that cost over $500 that I am cooking for Christmas
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Try the Parma one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@kabal57

Real Italian Parmigiano-Reggiano is just leagues better than American made Parmesan. The texture and taste are noticeably different due to the way they’re made. Here’s an article I found that explains some of the key differences:

And it really isn’t much more expensive than the American stuff. I can get a 7oz wedge of 22 month Parmigiano for $9 vs $5 for the cheap stuff.

If you get a chance, buy a wedge of each and do a side by side taste test. It’ll blow your mind and ruin cheap Parmesan for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it’s real Italian Parmigiano-Reggiano, I would have that thing eaten in an hour. I go through that stuff WAY too fast. “A little for the salad, a little for me. A little for the pasta, a little for me. A little for me, and a little for me...”

@kabal57

I am old enough to remember when "Parmesan Cheese" only came in a green cardboard shaker can. The nearest "Italian Grocer" was several hour's drive away.

Such was my "Whitebread Italian" upbringing. I've grown since then.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Costco owns a decent number of The Balvenie 50’s. I think my old building just did a price drop on it from 36K to 26K.

They buy this random crap to keep you talking about the wild shit you see in Costco. And sooner or later, some one will walk in and buy it. Especially booze wise, the high end case takes up no floor space, it’s an easy way to get people in (and get poors like me clamoring over their impressive liqour collection) while ogling the shit most people can’t even fathom buying.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wtf $560 for some ham?
View Quote
You have never had Jamón Serrano have you?

It is the finest damn stuff in the world. It makes the Italian stuff seem like Oscar Mayer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I think all this shit is on the list because some executives want to expense it to the company, or have it "disappear" in inventory and thus get it for free [ie Costco buys it and writes it off].
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd microwave the hell out of that.
View All Quotes
And still have no ice for drinks
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And still have no ice for drinks
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]
For those asking about the ham, here's a thread I posted a few years ago about it.

TL;DR: It's delicious.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to love those. They were made by a company called Best's Kosher. Sadly, they went out of business.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Certified for animal welfare, yeah until he ended up hobbling around on a little peg leg
View Quote
Tripod is perfectly happy and living out his life on his 2 1.5 acres in Spain.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think all this shit is on the list because some executives want to expense it to the company, or have it "disappear" in inventory and thus get it for free [ie Costco buys it and writes it off].
View Quote
Marketing. 1) we’re sitting here talking about Costco. 2) come into the store to see the $20k bottle of scotch, leave with 3 bottle of $50 scotch.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea, no.

The, “executives” of a multi billion dollar operation are totally buying Balvenie 50’s, prominently displaying them on sales floors around the globe, and waiting to disappear them for their personal consumption.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Your Price $559.99

100% Iberico Bellota Ham
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I have seen that ham kit at my store.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Costco owns a decent number of The Balvenie 50’s. I think my old building just did a price drop on it from 36K to 26K.

They buy this random crap to keep you talking about the wild shit you see in Costco. And sooner or later, some one will walk in and buy it. Especially booze wise, the high end case takes up no floor space, it’s an easy way to get people in (and get poors like me clamoring over their impressive liqour collection) while ogling the shit most people can’t even fathom buying.
View Quote
But there's nothing even close to it. Most of their liquor is normal. Some are high end, but they aren't any different in the BTAC availability or rare scotches from Montgomery County or Virginia. Just one bottle that sat there for ages.

I get that some rich lobbyist or diplomat will eventually buy it, but I still don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#47]
you can ride the donkey or you can ride the cheeze wheel..is same price
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Your Price $559.99

100% Iberico Bellota Ham
View Quote
Actually had this exact ham at a party this summer, along with a bunch  of other high end items from Costco.  Host is a high level executive from some company in Chicago who just likes shopping  at costco.

And yes, the ham was freaking awesome, as was the other stuff from Costco.  Best food at a beach party I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Pig this good you don't eat all at once."
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Sign me up  for the ham and parmesan.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top