User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think most people realize how many people do this kind of thing with sailboats. While there are some great sailboaters out there, I feel like the bulk of the ones you'll encounter are one tiny step above being homeless. I admire their willingness to live life and be out on the water, but it catches up to them on a regular basis.

The joke we hear all around the Bahamas is that a sailboater drops anchor outside of port on a Friday with the shirt on their back and $20 in their pocket. They spend the weekend at the resorts all weekend, and then leave on Monday in the same shirt, the same $20 in their pocket sand all the toilet paper from the public bathrooms
View Quote
I worked at a marina one fall, that part is spot on. They would also pull up to the fuel dock and take on water (free with fuel purchase) have their shit tank pumped (free with fuel purchase) and ask to borrow the courtesy car to get groceries (the dockmaster drew the line at that unless they got a slip for the night) how much fuel would they buy? Often about 5-10 gallons. Meanwhile the power boats, the people who actually spent money, had to wait or go to a different marina.

Now after 15 years of working on the water and playing dodge ‘um with sailboats all of those years I have a certain amount of contempt for them automatically. When the wife is working the radio you can almost guarantee that it’s going to be a shitshow if you have to make passing araingments with them. I almost had one hit me in the fog one night off NJ I was on the radio with them and telling them to turn the other way but they just kept coming towards me. I had to completely stop my tug so they wouldn’t hit me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
“No nothing” is on the scale opposite “expert”?!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“No nothing” is on the scale opposite “expert”?!
All internet graphics purporting to mock the intellect of others are required to have some grievous spelling error or typo in order to offer ironic levity. It’s rule 87, I think.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Capt. Marko Ramius: [quoting Christopher Columbus] 'And the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home.'
Jack Ryan: Welcome to the New World, Captain
View Quote
The Christopher Columbus quote was made-up for the movie.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have to ask big man, ya can't afford it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a ZJ?
If you have to ask big man, ya can't afford it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Now after 15 years of working on the water and playing dodge ‘um with sailboats all of those years I have a certain amount of contempt for them automatically. When the wife is working the radio you can almost guarantee that it’s going to be a shitshow if you have to make passing arrangements with them. I almost had one hit me in the fog one night off NJ I was on the radio with them and telling them to turn the other way but they just kept coming towards me. I had to completely stop my tug so they wouldn’t hit me.
View Quote
In my little sailboat I noticed a lot of tugs and ships were SHOCKED when I would get on 13 to make passing arrangements.

A ship's pilot in the Fraiser River told me I was the FIRST small sailboat that had ever done this to him and then passed word on to the pilot of another ship following a couple miles behind that "The guy in the little sailboat knows what he is doing."

I cut across his bow like I said I was going to and tacked and just kept going out of the channel and into shallow (for ships) water and tacked again and then passed behind him.

He thought that was pretty professional.

Sailboaters come in two sizes, serious cruisers and weekenders.

Serious cruisers are among the best, weekenders are the absolute worst.

One time I was anchoring a 350 foot oil barge and some ignoramus came so close I had to hold off from literally dropping the anchor on him. I let fly the INSTANT he cleared and splashed him and his sweetie siting in the cockpit.

My shipmate shouted down to them "Hey, Lady, your stupid boyfriend almost got you killed." He reported that she looked pretty damned upset with him.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to deal with a similar situation back in 2002 while stationed in the USVI with the Coast Guard.  Some whacky lady owned a POS sailboat and had it on mooring in the worst bay on St Thomas.  It broke loose and ended up on a reef in front of a resort.  I called her to get the salvage rolling.  When I asked if she had insurance she started balling uncontrollably.  I ended up using the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund to get the boat off of the reef and moved to an area where I could get the 100 gallons of diesel off.  She is probably still paying that one off through her federal taxes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The gofundme account is over $9200.

They're probably shopping for their next boat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Advise on buying a 1969 Columbia 28, a 49 year old boat with a bolt on keel:

"Aside from the more obvious things to check (chainplates, soft deck areas, standing rigging) - pay careful attention to the keel bolts. If they look like rusty lumps you are in for an expensive repair. I don't think I have ever seen a C28 with original keel bolts where they didn't need to be replaced."

"It seem all these boats have the same problems,
1) rusted Keel bolts.

"Drop the keel and replace/rebed the keel bolts, a $5000 job on a $6000 boat."

The Keel Bolt Blues

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Mid 20's telemarketer with no job skills with no real job prospects sell everything and only have $10,000, no sailing skills and only $90.

They would have had better luck buying a Yugo and trying to make it across the US.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:20:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The gofundme account is over $9200.

They're probably shopping for their next boat.
View Quote
They needed 10k just for salvage if they use that money for anything other than picking up their litter they should be fined and shot.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#11]
It's over $10k now lol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isn't it ironic....doncha think?
View Quote
im leaning more toward moronic than ironic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's over $10k now lol.
View Quote
Well hell. It's more profitable to lose than to succeed. That's some good incentive to fail and fail publicly and pathetically.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
That was a weird dbltp
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
someone should let the harbor master / coast guard know about the go fund me account.

these two idiots should not get a pass until there debt is paid.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
For the past several years I have been working on my own personal "sell everything and Sail around the world" plan.

...  but I fully plan on living comfortably.  With more than enough in the cruising kitty to keep going for a long time on modest expenses.  Years.

I'm working like mad to make that happen, actually.  Not just the financial side, but learning and prep as well.

I'm not sure whether I am amused or incredulous that so many folks are giving them money - despite their clear inability to prepare properly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost $13k on the gofundme now.

Stupidity rewarded.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Stupidity rewarded.
View Quote
Whatever they raise, it'll be gone within a couple of months.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stupidity rewarded.
View Quote
Amazes me that people donate their money to these 2 morons who are too lazy to just get a job for a year and try it again. Instead they beg for money. I don't blame them though seeing as how dumb people are they will just give them a handout.

Oh well, idiots and their money and all that....
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
That boat sinking probably save their lives.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupidity rewarded.
Weeks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
They lost me at the "not much sailing experience" part.

Fucking dumb cunts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#23]
They sold everything they had and came up with $10k?  And then they didn't insure their only significant, worldly possession?  Oh boy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#24]
sold everything they owned and it amounted to $10k?

In April they bought a 1969 Columbia sailboat in Alabama for $5,000, then spent that much fixing the 49-year-old boat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Told ya.  GoFundMe scam.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#26]
How's Darwinism supposed to work itself out when all these idiots are insulated from the consequences of their stupidity by the likes of gofundme?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#27]
They sold their home and no money? smells funny.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#28]
That ship has sailed sank
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
sold everything they owned and it amounted to $10k?

In April they bought a 1969 Columbia sailboat in Alabama for $5,000, then spent that much fixing the 49-year-old boat.
View Quote
They should find a deserted isle.  It worked for Gilligan and the rest.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top