Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/30/2021 6:10:42 AM EDT
I'm an EHS manager.

Months ago, looked into getting more permanent and robust lockout/tagout devices for a large breaker panel. I did the research, found the right devices for each type of breaker (as recommended by the manufacturer of each of the switches), and sent an email to engineering manager for confirmation. Never got a response. Purchasing manager ordered them regardless. Parts came in. I talked to electrical install guy about putting them on. He says "yeah no problem, just email engineering manager because he prioritizes my projects". So I did.

Engineering manager replies "electrical installation guy should decide what devices we need. you're not an electrician." And he added the plant manager and assistant plant manager to the reply.

I replied something along the lines of "I never implied I was. Hence why I emailed you about it months ago."

I'm perturbed. That's all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#2]
You gotta add the magic words  "No Response is a Response" to the email.  Then save the email in case you need to remind the asshole in front of others.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
If that's the worst part of your week or month, then things are probably going pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I should add that this guy is the type who can't collaborate with anyone. What he says goes, and often he screws it up without repercussion.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
What is an EHS manager?  
Why are you locking out equipment?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I would have replied. LO/TO is a safety device for the workers. It isn’t an electrical device. He is wrong. You are in charge of the safety program, ram your foot in his asshole till he likes it. It will be your fault if a worker is injured or killed, not the electrical guy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Lol, that sounds like a problem free day in my world.

I'm about to fire my second in command. That is going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I know your pain.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The simple way around this is to put all the stakeholders and potentially interested parties on the email chain from the start. Esp. if you have a lot of work from home going on.

Sometimes email isn't good enough. Sometimes you have to make a call or stop by the office.  Especially when you're spending money for something somebody else will be using/working on.

You should have had his buy-in, getting it was your responsibility.  You should be pissed at yourself, not him.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#12]
LOTO always starts with the product and it's design and manufacturer recomendations or requirements.

So who is this engineer in the LOTO procedures? Where does he go on the chart? Is he a part of the team that makes a LOTO procedure up and put it ''on paper?" Is his name on the last LOTO procedure for this piece of equipment? Is there a LOTO procedure for this equipment?

There is a VERY specific list of rules and regulations to follow, where does he stand on it?

I just had to do this shit a couple weeks ago and test out.

I will say that ANY changes to a written procedure has to be approved and signed off on. The manufacturer LOTO rules tends to come first though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have replied. LO/TO is a safety device for the workers. It isn’t an electrical device. He is wrong. You are in charge of the safety program, ram your foot in his asshole till he likes it. It will be your fault if a worker is injured or killed, not the electrical guy.
View Quote

Yep.  And it's not up to the electrician.  It's up to the manufacturer and their certifier.  Let an electrician do what they want while ignoring those and you're going to get bit (at least if the electrician isn't a good one).
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#15]
My biggest business pet peeve is not answering an email. It usually takes less than 30 seconds to form a polite response.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#16]
You should order a bunch of software for the IT guy and then post another thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#17]

I would strongly discourage that strategy in matters of LOTO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is an EHS manager?  
View Quote

Environment & Health Safety.

A busy body. We have EHS managers where I work. They’re pretty much useless. Sorry, OP.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#19]
No idea what an EHS manager is but according to the engineering manager’s eventual response is that it sounds like LO/TO isn’t your responsibility.

Op, are you staying in your lane?

EDIT: I see above response.  I suspect you’re the guy to make reports, documentation and make suggestions.  I’m guessing you went outside your pay grade by taking the initiative to implement this.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I see the problem here. You have too many "managers" to ever get shit done.

I work at a small company and wear all of those hats so I just have to confer with myself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A busy body. We have EHS managers where I work. They’re pretty much useless. Sorry, OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is an EHS manager?  

Yes and no. I work in r&d for process and equipment development. EHS here is basically God. They can be a bit nit picky, but if you take the time to work with them, understand their concerns, and address them in a reasonable manner, they'll work with you to come up with a solution that is both safe and effective.

I work with and design things that can kill, maim, or burn. I've had things I've designed injure people in a way I never thought possible. Safety isn't a joke, and I never want to hear something i designed seriously hurt someone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You gotta add the magic words  "No Response is a Response" to the email.  Then save the email in case you need to remind the asshole in front of others.
View Quote

That's my method with a respond by x date, or the lack of response indicates you concur. Saved hassles many times over.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#23]
TL;DR
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I’ll pray for a peaceful resolution to your workplace conundrum.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Surprising where I work the safety guy has the final say. Even over the engineers
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m pretty sure we just use thick zip ties with a certain tag that has signatures of who is locking it out.  No actual locks are used on equipment
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Just don't, you know, do anything drastic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Surprising where I work the safety guy has the final say. Even over the engineers
View Quote

On site, the PIC is in charge. Anyone can stop the work if they think there is a safety issue, it then needs to go up the chain.

LOTO procedures are a PITA unless you are a one or two man operation but they do exist for a reason. They also keep random asshole supervisors and managers from putting their tarded or ignorant hands into the mix and creating dangerous situations.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Red flag!

Red flag!

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Our EHS manager is a fucking douche.  I hope you get your cool locks though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:No idea what an EHS manager is but according to the engineering manager’s eventual response is that it sounds like LO/TO isn’t your responsibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:No idea what an EHS manager is but according to the engineering manager’s eventual response is that it sounds like LO/TO isn’t your responsibility.

LOTO is absolutely an EHS manager's responsibility.

Quoted:
I’m pretty sure we just use thick zip ties with a certain tag that has signatures of who is locking it out.  No actual locks are used on equipment

I've had to do that at some places, but it's pretty archaic.

I was trying to get a conveyor belt locked-out at a Korean power plant. Even w/ my perfect acting out of locking the breaker, the operated acted like he didn't know what I meant. So, I threw the breaker anyway, put my lock on it, and had my helper stand there until I returned. Right after this (putting my lock on) the operator opens a drawer w/ red tags and zipties
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#32]
what's an EHS manager?  

UNODIR, I'm assuming it's this guy:

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I should add that this guy is the type who can't collaborate with anyone. What he says goes, and often he screws it up without repercussion.
View Quote

The manufacturer for each device specified the devices right?

I'd have dropped that in the email for sure.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#34]
If I started a thread every time a coworker pissed me off, I would need my own forum.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
what's an EHS manager?  

UNODIR, I'm assuming it's this guy:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/40/b0/9a/40b09a01567143dbe683a66a304b2dbb.jpg
View Quote

Environmental Health and Safety.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I detect a large presence of desk warriors in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, exactly.

OP, if you are in the right follow the advice above.  Be polite in all correspondence but do the right thing.  LO/TO is serious business.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#38]
He's better than thieves I knew.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#39]
EHS here too OP. I feel your pain.

Fortunately I have a great relationship with engineering.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My biggest business pet peeve is not answering an email. It usually takes less than 30 seconds to form a polite response.

View Quote

You aren’t entitled to my 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I replied something along the lines of "I never implied I was. Hence why I emailed you about it months ago."

View Quote

I would've been extra petty and attached a screenshot of the original email

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The manufacturer for each device specified the devices right?

I'd have dropped that in the email for sure.

View Quote

Well he tasked the electrical guy with determining what devices to use, and I'm sure he'll come up with the same answers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Our EHS manager is a fucking douche.  I hope you get your cool locks though.
View Quote

EHS = hold up production
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would've been extra petty and attached a screenshot of the original email
View Quote

It was in the chain, down below. I referenced it being below.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#45]
lots of sexual frustration in your post
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

EHS = hold up production
View Quote

Correct. And I used to be in Quality Assurance, so I'm no stranger to being hated.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
lots of sexual frustration in your post
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm an EHS manager.

Months ago, looked into getting more permanent and robust lockout/tagout devices for a large breaker panel. I did the research, found the right devices for each type of breaker (as recommended by the manufacturer of each of the switches), and sent an email to engineering manager for confirmation. Never got a response. Purchasing manager ordered them regardless. Parts came in. I talked to electrical install guy about putting them on. He says "yeah no problem, just email engineering manager because he prioritizes my projects". So I did.

Engineering manager replies "electrical installation guy should decide what devices we need. you're not an electrician." And he added the plant manager and assistant plant manager to the reply.

I'm perturbed. That's all.
View Quote
@pk54321
I sell these kits, what company do you typically order from?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he is if it's your goddamn job to respond to those emails because they're in your lane.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is an EHS manager?  

Ours defers to me on electrical safety. I spec equipment based on manufacturer, OSHA, common industry practice, and the practices of our major clients to conform with there on site procedures.

not much has changed in 12 years, I have the procedures, SOW, JHAs written on file.

its not rocket science and we haven't had a reportable incident related to LOTO  in .... 12 years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top