Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes. That's the answer. He just shouldn't import. It's his fault there is an impenetrable thicket of bureaucratic nonsense.
View Quote
It's perfectly penetratable. The sugar walls open when you provide your SSN.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
EIN is easy to get. Why not just do that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mexico, as an example.  Or Canuckistan.  All of them suck really.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yet another reason that our govt fucking sucks.

If you think our import laws suck try dealing with another county.
Mexico, as an example.  Or Canuckistan.  All of them suck really.

The third world shithole south of the border requires a broker on BOTH sides. That’s why I don’t clear anything coming in from MX via trucker. The US broker has to be on the border. Dealing with stuff from the Great White North is simple.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am an above-average person, and it disgusts me.
View Quote

I’ve gone out of my way when I didn’t have to and provided advice to Arfcommers importing stuff. I won’t do that if an Arfcommer is a dick. I have what I refer to as the shithead list. Bet some of you guys will eventually want advice importing and I’ll go, nope, nope, nope.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

He didn’t have one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He didn't have one.
View Quote
I talked with one my customer's who does ITAR import and export stuff. It's an eye opener to what can and cannot be done. I can bring in multiple armored vehicles but send one unapproved set of night vision goggles and its now criminal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ve gone out of my way when I didn’t have to and provided advice to Arfcommers importing stuff. I won’t do that if an Arfcommer is a dick. I have what I refer to as the shithead list. Bet some of you guys will eventually want advice importing and I’ll go, nope, nope, nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am an above-average person, and it disgusts me.

LOL... I can neither confirm NOR deny that government agencies involved in frequent border transactions have a list of  shall I say  ____ brokers . where  some phone calls start with in some get "hey bill, i need documents on XYZ shipment ASAP, how are the kids.. ect' and others get "Mr. Jones, get me that document by 2:59 pm TODAY or you will be getting a liquidated damages against your import bond for 250k, while you can likely mitigate that down to 25k the lawyer bill will be 25k to do so..." ... Just saying

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Assuming what you're importing can be broken up, any rules against multiple shipments below the threshold?
View Quote

Importing something is the best way to avoid duties on stuff. Of course, that’s going to be lower value stuff.

I see nothing in the regs about breaking shipments up, but if it’s cleared by a broker, you’re still going to have to provide SS/EIN, regardless of value. It’s only imports via mail you can get away without providing SS/EIN. So small shit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a shithead because I don't think it should be so difficult, and require so much disclosure of information, just to import something?  

I made it pretty clear in my first post that I understood this was your job and you're just following the rules. If you can't understand what I'm attacking and why (hint: it's not you), I can't help you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I talked with one my customer's who does ITAR import and export stuff. It's an eye opener to what can and cannot be done. I can bring in multiple armored vehicles but send one unapproved set of night vision goggles and its now criminal.
View Quote

A lot of my headaches involve new importers who didn’t due any research ahead of buying the shit from overseas. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten frantic calls or emails when something has already arrived in the US and the IOR suddenly realizes they need a broker.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a shithead because I don't think it should be so difficult, and require so much disclosure of information, just to import something?  

I made it pretty clear in my first post that I understood this was your job and you're just following the rules. If you can't understand what I'm attacking and why (hint: it's not you), I can't help you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quoted the wrong post, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL... I can neither confirm NOR deny that government agencies involved in frequent border transactions have a list of  shall I say  ____ brokers . where  some phone calls start with in some get "hey bill, i need documents on XYZ shipment ASAP, how are the kids.. ect' and others get "Mr. Jones, get me that document by 2:59 pm TODAY or you will be getting a liquidated damages against your import bond for 250k, while you can likely mitigate that down to 25k the lawyer bill will be 25k to do so..." ... Just saying

View Quote

Are you one of the cranky ass CBP officers who picks up the phone yelling when a broker calls? That’s what they do in Chicago. People I know at other brokers report the same thing. I swear the nasty attitude is issued with the uniform. FDA and Ag people, on the other hand, are usually much nicer to deal with. EPA people are generally fuckwits. We handle a lot of chemical imports so plenty of EPA dealings. I refer to EPA as the KGB.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So what was it?
View Quote

@fighter443

Seriously dude chill out.  Wait to see what she posts on the EE like everyone else.  

Also:
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He didn’t have one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn’t have one.

It takes a few minutes to fill out the form on the .gov website. Easy way to not have to give your ssn to rando companies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Importing something is the best way to avoid duties on stuff. Of course, that’s going to be lower value stuff.

I see nothing in the regs about breaking shipments up, but if it’s cleared by a broker, you’re still going to have to provide SS/EIN, regardless of value. It’s only imports via mail you can get away without providing SS/EIN. So small shit.
View Quote

Fascinating. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A lot of my headaches involve new importers who didn't due any research ahead of buying the shit from overseas. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten frantic calls or emails when something has already arrived in the US and the IOR suddenly realizes they need a broker.
View Quote
Its a subject where making assumptions will not work. The " well it should work this way because I imagined it that way " mentality is going to bite them every time.  I know just enough to ask questions and understand that no matter what I think is right its has to be done a certain way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Your customer would not like clearing at the Port of Miami.   Just finding the right terminal is hard enough.  Then the language barrier begins.  And no matter how well you think you sprechen ze Español,  they will put someone across the desk from you that speaks the West Virginian version of it.  Cuban guy standing next to me was just staring at her, looks at me, shrugs, walks off.  You have to have your head right for what you may experience there

I know Title i vs Title ii
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

no there doesn't.  None of us should want our identifying info tied to any activities, especially with the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta be some reason why the guy didn't want his identifying information tied to that shipment.  "Machine parts" used to be code for firearm stuff.

no there doesn't.  None of us should want our identifying info tied to any activities, especially with the government.

"I dont want to show my receipt to the greeter."

Good, fuck Walnart.

"I don't want to give my SSN to the customs broker."

What do you have to hide? You must be doing something illegal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your customer would not like clearing at the Port of Miami.   Just finding the right terminal is hard enough.  Then the language barrier begins.  And no matter how well you think you sprechen ze Español,  they will put someone across the desk from you that speaks the West Virginian version of it.  Cuban guy standing next to me was just staring at her, looks at me, shrugs, walks off.  You have to have your head right for what you may experience there

I know Title i vs Title ii
View Quote

I clear shit at Miami and Port Everglades. Lots of IEs, too. Shit that comes in from Asia and gets sent to another terminal for export to South America.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fascinating. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fascinating. Thanks!

Stupid phone. Importing something via MAIL. Fuck phone!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its a subject where making assumptions will not work. The " well it should work this way because I imagined it that way " mentality is going to bite them every time.  I know just enough to ask questions and understand that no matter what I think is right its has to be done a certain way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of my headaches involve new importers who didn't due any research ahead of buying the shit from overseas. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten frantic calls or emails when something has already arrived in the US and the IOR suddenly realizes they need a broker.

This.

I know I'm dumb enough on the subject to call an expert.  There's still some steel lying on the side of some road into Mexico because even fortune 500 companies screw up and we had to hire a local Mexican fabricator to solve the brokerage issue.

Or dual use technologies/materials that you'd never think of with some items that I would have never even thought of like gauges and regulators.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell, I have to give my ID for domestic air cargo. How did he think he'd import without ID? Stupid people outnumber us.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
IDK how it became so common place to ask and to give SSN# for shit and to people that have absolutely nothing to do with SSA. It's retarded and provides no proof of anything except you know a number that goes with a name and a birthday.  

It's a misuse of the number and it proves absolutely nothing to identifying who ever is providing the number.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Then you shouldn’t import. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Import legally, you mean.  And don't worry, I won't.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IDK how it became so common place to ask and to give SSN# for shit and to people that have absolutely nothing to do with SSA. It's retarded and provides no proof of anything except you know a number that goes with a name and a birthday.  

It's a misuse of the number and it proves absolutely nothing to identifying who ever is providing the number.
View Quote

To get a hunting license (in PA) a SS# is required.  

Hell you have to show ID for many, many things like buying alcohol and tobacco.  Voting, not so much.  Vote away my non-SS, ID having friend LOL.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Import legally, you mean.  And don't worry, I won't.
View Quote

You’ll do it illegal? I’ve seen other arrogant importers think they could get around CBP. This instance it was classifying their product as something totally different than what they’d been importing for the previous decade at minimum. They didn’t want to pay the additional Chinese duty. Took CBP six months to catch on. Cost the importer $1 million in fines and almost put them out of business. They don’t import anymore, at least not directly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So what was it?
View Quote
Machine parts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is called structuring and is a serious crime.
View Quote

Lol, yet Temu and the other slave labor apps are allowed to do it all day every day. There should be no exceptions from duty, period IMO.

ETA: we should also ban the slave labor apps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please cite the specific statute/code section
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:. If you think our import laws suck try dealing with another county.
View Quote

Not too bad here. You pay the shipping, broker fees, duty, delivery fee, and VAT on the overall total.  As long as it’s not illegal here you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:. The shipment docs do show machinery. Commercial invoice, packing list, and BOL all show machinery.
View Quote
I like machinery.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"Machine parts" can also be cover for something else.

When I mailed some silver back to APMEX, the standard cover story for why such a small box is so damn heavy is "Machine Parts". Also explains the need for the insurance.

View Quote
A snow cone maker? An espresso machine?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#33]
If people don't want to give their info to an importer, they should just do their importing themselves.

I wouldn't do business on behalf of an anonymous person, either.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#34]
So are you guys going to auction off all of those monocore solvent traps and Glock switches machinery parts or will it all be stolen by fedbois destroyed?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#35]
What's in the box man Marie!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#36]
SSN was never supposed to be used for identification purposes.   Well, at least you don’t need to supply it for jury duty.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If people don't want to give their info to an importer, they should just do their importing themselves.

I wouldn't do business on behalf of an anonymous person, either.
View Quote

You need to have access to CBP’s system to clear shipments. You don’t get access to ACE without approved software and going through all sorts of other hoops.

This one would have been a formal entry. Must be done through ACE. People can clear their own stuff under $2500 as an informal entry at the CBP office at the port of entry, but you have to do it in person, during regular business hours, and you have to pay any duties due at that time. You have to know the full 10 digit US HS code, too. I’m told this sort of thing happens much less than it used to.

I don’t know most of the people I clear shit for. That’s why I have to verify everything. I even go on state Secretary of State websites and verify business names.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@fighter443

Seriously dude chill out.  Wait to see what she posts on the EE like everyone else.  

Also:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oMg4oJAjSVI/T5OpdRYizvI/AAAAAAAAATU/Hua7edfFDQo/s1600/GERALDO_CAPONE+VAULTS.jpg
View Quote
How many here won't get this?

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lol, yet Temu and the other slave labor apps are allowed to do it all day every day. There should be no exceptions from duty, period IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The US can't ban shit in China. All we can do is ban importing from them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It’s the William Rhenquist “if you’re not doing anything illegal then you should’t care” line, used to justify any and every government intrusion and turn it around on those who are sick of it.
View Quote

"The fact that I am doing nothing illegal gives no man the right to look."
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing about the level of bullshit described here.

I’m importing an $8K widget, here’s my duty payment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what the US Constitution says about the federal governments involvement with imports.

Absolutely nothing about the level of bullshit described here.

I’m importing an $8K widget, here’s my duty payment.

Lol. Someone needs to read up on the history of the Coast Guard and the Revenue Cutter Service. Normal practices for them would make most modern civil libertarians scream out in anguish.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A snow cone maker? An espresso machine?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@fighter443

Also:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oMg4oJAjSVI/T5OpdRYizvI/AAAAAAAAATU/Hua7edfFDQo/s1600/GERALDO_CAPONE+VAULTS.jpg

Anyone under 50 I imagine
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lol. Someone needs to read up on the history of the Coast Guard and the Revenue Cutter Service. Normal practices for them would make most modern civil libertarians scream out in anguish.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure “normal practice” for them didn’t involve any historical analogue for requiring ID and a SSN from the random  guy ashore buying one widget off the entire ship, through a broker at the port.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is an extreme example of not wanting to provide your personal info in situations that require it.

New customer, guy had never imported before. Shipper took care of all shipping and such, but while shipment was DDP (delivered duties paid), the importer of record was the US consignee (this happens rather frequently). Personal shipment of some machinery type stuff worth about $8K, in addition to shipping costs.

Importer guy didn’t want to provide his SS# which is required. He signed the power of attorney (required document authorizing us to interact with CBP on his behalf), but left EIN/SS# blank. Also didn’t want to provide a copy of DL or passport, also required as we have to verify identity of who we’re clearing for.

Because he didn’t want to provide that info, we couldn’t clear the shipment. Guy didn’t want to provide it to anyone. He actually indicated he was going to abandon the shipment because he didn’t want to provide that info.

So he’s out $8K for the cargo value, plus shipping cost.

Moral of the story is: if you don’t want to provide your personal info for legit reasons, don’t import anything over $2500. Formal (type 01) entries require this info. Informal entries (type 11) under $2500 do not require this.

Just a PSA from the resident Arfcom customer broker and the resident mermaid.

ETA: Under $2500 thing is if it comes in via mail. If a broker clears it, still need the POA and info.
View Quote

Does he also have to sit on top of a photocopier and provide the government with a rectal scan?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's one of the specifically granted powers actually.

The U.S. Constitution states in Article I, Section 8 that “The Congress shall have the Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what the US Constitution says about the federal governments involvement with imports.

It's one of the specifically granted powers actually.

The U.S. Constitution states in Article I, Section 8 that “The Congress shall have the Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises

Oh, great, a reader./Security
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes. That's the answer. He just shouldn't import. It's his fault there is an impenetrable thicket of bureaucratic nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An inpenetrable thicket of 9 digits.

We all lie to ourselves about the actual state of privacy and our ability to control it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Gotta be some reason why the guy didn't want his identifying information tied to that shipment.  "Machine parts" used to be code for firearm stuff.
View Quote

Like it wanting his SS# sold to a scammer?
No one but the gov and your employer could ask for it until Janet Reno declared that DOJ would no longer enforce it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We all lie to ourselves about the actual state of privacy and our ability to control it.
View Quote

Just get the shot, then you can buy food, peasant. It will only take a few seconds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just get the shot, then you can buy food, peasant. It will only take a few seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rage against the machine
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top