Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/29/2019 11:34:04 AM EDT
Chinese SKS $299

I know we did this a couple weeks ago.  However, they are now $299!

I FO'd and got one!

**Update**

Rifle arrived last night.  And upon first opening the packaging all I could say was HOLY MOTHER OF COSMOLINE!!!!   This thing has it EVERYWHERE!   I will take several hours this weekend to clean her up.

Upon initial look, the SKS looks very decent with no visual problems to the stock etc.  (But there is a bit of cosmoline that could be hiding it.  I did wipe the bolt area with a shop rag just to see.. nothing major jumping out yet at me. Just what appears to be the standard stuff you would see from rifles being tossed around and bumpped. So Ill clean her up and she what is hiding!

UPDATE 2.0

Update 2.0: Shes Clean.

Took me a couple days several hours each day, but she is finally cleaned up!

MORE of this shit everywhere!

I soaked the smaller parts in gas. With the larger parts getting the boiling water and simpler green method, with a side of heat gun.  Both worked fairly well to remove to cosmoline shit.  However, with the stock while cleaning the cosmo off, much of the finish was coming with it!    SO I decided to keep at it and see what happened when i was done.  Well, for whatever reason MOST of the original finish has come off.   Made the call to just finish stripping it down.

Out came the 150 and 220 grit sand paper

Long story short, she is whole again

The pictures seem to make it look much more brown then it really is.

All in all I am happy with the purchase.  The rifle wasn't that bad, but I defiantly see where Classic Firearms gives the rifle higher grading then what most would agree on.  The rifle does show signs of being tossed around and not really being cared for.  But it isnt that bad and for such an old rifle i am ok with it.

I am happy with the purchase and now need to find a second to take her shooting!  Damn cleaning and restore took up most of my free time the weekend!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
EDT: I am going to retract the above as it seems that it could just be a matter of small sample size.

Carry on with the great deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
$300 bucks for a SKS

Its crazy that I remember the 'old days' and Im only 29
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I've bought a few guns from them and only had one that I thought was mis-graded.  But I've seen some reviews of people ordering special select and getting a dumpster fire anyway.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard negative things about Classic Firearms.

Never ordered from them myself.
View Quote
Really?   I've ordered many mags, barrels and parts... Never had an issue.  First time ordering a rifle tho using my C&R from them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Really?   I've ordered many mags, barrels and parts... Never had an issue.  First time ordering a rifle tho using my C&R from them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admittedly my sample size is rather small, 2 folks I personally know. That being said it could just be they were anomalies and they normally have great service. Just thought I'd throw in a word of caution.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve placed two orders with them in the past and didn’t have any issues.

One thing that does keep me from ordering guns from them is their ridiculous $30 shipping charge.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$300 bucks for a SKS

Its crazy that I remember the 'old days' and Im only 29 28
View Quote
Same. My SKS was a Christmas gift when I was a kid. I think dad paid $120.

Also, OP misspelled "Alet"
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are good to go and I'm not aware of any issues with them. Used to order from them periodically when I had my C&R back in the day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$300 bucks for a SKS

View Quote
I remember when they sold these things by the crate for $99 / each.  I wish dad would've bought a hundred of them
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$300 bucks for a SKS

View Quote
"X? That's crazy! I used to buy Y by the barrel for Z not ten years ago!"

That's the common surplus comment. Just fill in the appropriate blanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Am I in before the plethora of people who say they're only worth $100?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I remember when they sold these things by the crate for $99 / each.  I wish dad would've bought a hundred of them
View Quote
I remember when you could go grab one out of a trash can next to the firearms counter at Woolworth's for $79.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are good to go and I'm not aware of any issues with them. Used to order from them periodically when I had my C&R back in the day.
View Quote
I have modified my original comment as it seems it was a matter of small sample size and probably just bad luck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#15]
But why?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember paying $99 out the door for one in 1996.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks OP. Having a bad Monday and impulse buying an SKS made me feel better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweaty Ben.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
It's just barely possible that the market has spoken on these. $400 for a beat up, low finish remaining SKS was just too high. Considering these things were literally brought in by the container ship load in brand new condition for at least ten years, there are a lot on the secondary market that are not all beat up at that price point.
$300 is a better price for these. That's about right, actually, since they are asking the buyer to take a chance on getting either a beat up tomato stake with zero finish or a nice gun with 80% bluing left.  I'm sure that they all work, of course; it's pretty tough to kill an SKS rifle. I watched the unboxing video and i was amazed they'd have the balls to ask 4 bills for some of the beat to shit zero finish relics they were pulling out and, of course, oohing and ahing over as "these are really nice". I was actually talking back to the video at one point "No it's not! It's beat to crap! It has no finish left! The stock looks like shit!"
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've heard great things about them from others...they burned me badly the one and only time I ordered from them and...wait for it...it was an SKS!

Went through the hand select routine and it was so bad my FFL rejected the rifle...if that in and of itself wasn't bad enough, their CS was terrible:  didn't want the weapon back (too bad, FFL wouldn't transfer it), was willing to trade it for another one but they didn't want to do that, then came up with a way of blaming my FFL for the condition/damage (), wouldn't pay for return shipping, didn't want to refund my original shipping when the weapon was returned, etc.

Goat screw^3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard great things about them from others...they burned me badly the one and only time I ordered from them and...wait for it...it was an SKS!

Went through the hand select routine and it was so bad my FFL rejected the rifle...if that in and of itself wasn't bad enough, their CS was terrible:  didn't want the weapon back (too bad, FFL wouldn't transfer it), was willing to trade it for another one but they didn't want to do that, then came up with a way of blaming my FFL for the condition/damage (), wouldn't pay for return shipping, didn't want to refund my original shipping when the weapon was returned, etc.

Goat screw^3.
This is almost exactly what happened to a buddy of mine, but with a surplus Beretta.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Are these things actually a buy? I like cheap guns to throw in the safe.

I bought a Mosin from a friend a few years ago who was in a tight spot for $175, and I felt pretty cheated on the deal at the time. Now it commands twice that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah I bought a Russian SKS around 1995 for $100. It was still in the creosote and I really like that little thing. It shoots straight and I have never had it jam in all those years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Ben"d over.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chinese SKS $299

I know we did this a couple weeks ago.  However, they are now $299!

I FO'd and got one!
View Quote
Isn’t a PSA ar15 the same price?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Classic tends to be "optimistic" on their grading.

I bought a Yugo SKS from them last year that just last week I finally got all the cosmoline out of.  I think it was listed as "very good", I'd probably rate it as good.  The bore is in super shape at least.

$300 is probably fair for the game of roulette you're going to play on these Chinese ones.  I don't know how they can honestly do handpick for condition when they don't make ANY attempt at removing the cosmoline.  From the pictures, those things are fucking drenched in brown goop that will hide stock condition, rust, and everything else.

I'm not really into Chinese guns, and cleaning the cosmo out of the Yugo was a chore I don't want to repeat.  Now if someone would turn up a cache of Russian guns, then we'd be talking.  At least we're getting into the 100 degrees days in Texas, so it would be pretty easy to sweat another one in the sun.

ETA - It also seems like Sweaty Ben is taking more a backseat in their social media.  Clint seems like a cool guy, and is a huge upgrade when it comes to marketing for them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Junk rifles...honestly, why people love old shit is beyond me.

Have at it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
They grossly overstate the condition of surplus firearms. What you get will be roughly a grade lower than what they advertised. Adjust your expectations accordingly, other than that and their hype based marketing, they are OK.

I've probably bought a half dozen C&R guns from them over the years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy crap!  If $300 is a deal on a Chinese sks, then what are Russian one's going for these days?

Eta- I'm pretty sure I could put together an AR for $300 right now without much shopping around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Classic tends to be "optimistic" on their grading.

I bought a Yugo SKS from them last year that just last week I finally got all the cosmoline out of.  I think it was listed as "very good", I'd probably rate it as good.  The bore is in super shape at least.

$300 is probably fair for the game of roulette you're going to play on these Chinese ones.  I don't know how they can honestly do handpick for condition when they don't make ANY attempt at removing the cosmoline.  From the pictures, those things are fucking drenched in brown goop that will hide stock condition, rust, and everything else.

I'm not really into Chinese guns, and cleaning the cosmo out of the Yugo was a chore I don't want to repeat.  Now if someone would turn up a cache of Russian guns, then we'd be talking.  At least we're getting into the 100 degrees days in Texas, so it would be pretty easy to sweat another one in the sun.

ETA - It also seems like Sweaty Ben is taking more a backseat in their social media.  Clint seems like a cool guy, and is a huge upgrade when it comes to marketing for them.
View Quote
Myself and a buddy ordered a Mosin from them several years ago. He paid the extra for the “hand select”, and both rifles had mismatched serial numbers and were both decent grade.  That hand select in that ONE transaction appeared to be a scam.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Holy crap!  If $300 is a deal on a Chinese sks, then what are Russian one's going for these days?

Eta- I'm pretty sure I could put together an AR for $300 right now without much shopping around.
View Quote
double that or more...
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Someday, I would love to own a Russian and Yugoslavian SKS. Those were the first rifles I ever owned, and they have a special place in my heart. I sold them off years ago. Prices are stupid now, and I’m not in the market for one anyway.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a few to many black rifles in my safe (Couple with the 7.62x39), I am adding diversity with some wood stocks :)
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#35]
They suck!

...because I never won any of the guns I signed up to win.  
Man, I wanted that MP5 in a real bad way!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
But why?
View Quote
This.

Not very collectible, historically significant, or useful compared to other guns at similar prices.

S&W pre-lock revolvers are a better choice for collectors and PSA ARs are a better choice for shooters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

double that or more...
View Quote
Quoted:
Someday, I would love to own a Russian and Yugoslavian SKS. Those were the first rifles I ever owned, and they have a special place in my heart. I sold them off years ago. Prices are stupid now, and I’m not in the market for one anyway.
View Quote
I picked up a very nice Russian and Yugo last year for $425 and $400 respectively.

You can find them, just have to be patient.

I think $300 for these, considering transfer fee and shipping will bring them near $400 is still too much.
You can find Chinese SKS in better condition for that price in most any pawn or gun shop around here.

I think I did ok considering.

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmmm, $300 on an AR or an SKS...this is a tough choice
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#39]
These things didn’t get to $400+ overnight.

I can’t believe there are still people that show up in SKS threads going “OMG THESE ARE THAT MUCH NOW? MINE WAS $79 back in 1997 HURRRRR”

SKS’s have been several hundred dollars for at least 10 years now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember paying $99 out the door for one in 1996.
View Quote
I remember turning down $89 Enfields because the seller wanted too much money. Inflation, supply and demand are a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I just picked up a Chinese SKS a month or two ago for $200 off of Armslist

Pass on this deal
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
That makes my Russian sks worth 1000.00...
I only paid 89.99 for it new
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I got mine when they had them for $350 earlier. Haven’t actually inspected it yet, still in the box.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Is the hand select matching #'s for $20 and the milled trigger for $20 worth it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is the hand select matching #'s for $20 and the milled trigger for $20 worth it?
View Quote
After tax and shipping i was just at 358 shipped to my door (C&R), but I clicked the 20 for hand selected for matching numbers.  I figured hell why not....
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys get ripped the Fuck off on those things
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a C&R and would FO but I feel they are still to expensive to blindly roll the dice.  I’m sure they have some gems but also some dogs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I picked up a Russian SKS a couple weeks back for 300? Is that good?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top