User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 15th meaning of "black" in the 1997 edition of the Random House Webster's College Dictionary is "(sometimes cap.) a. a member of any of various dark-skinned peoples, esp. those of Africa, Oceania, and Australia. b. African-American (def. 1)." For "white" it says, "20. lightness of skin pigment. 21. a person whose racial heritage is Caucasian." All four meanings appear with the noun sections of the definitions for "white" and "black."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where you guys home schooled or something?  

The names of the various racial or ethnic classifications/identities - Asian, Hispanic, Caucasian, etc. - just like ancestry - Russian, German, British, American - have been capitalized for all my life.   More than half a century.  

And, in breaking news, we do the same with religious identities.  Jewish, Christian, Muslim, etc.

Yes, when you use the term "white" to describe White people, it too is capitalized.

White and black are not "various racial or ethnic classifications/identities" neither are they "religious identitites", they are adjectives describing the color of one's skin. Adjectives are not capitalized unless at the beginning of a sentence. Fuck off back to your public school system. I figure it was public school since you said "where you guys home schooled or something" instead of "were".

The 15th meaning of "black" in the 1997 edition of the Random House Webster's College Dictionary is "(sometimes cap.) a. a member of any of various dark-skinned peoples, esp. those of Africa, Oceania, and Australia. b. African-American (def. 1)." For "white" it says, "20. lightness of skin pigment. 21. a person whose racial heritage is Caucasian." All four meanings appear with the noun sections of the definitions for "white" and "black."

Do you capitialize nouns other than at the beginning of a sentence? Websters correctly keeps it lower case.

Edit: I guess you also did not learn about attributive nouns or a noun adjunct? When a noun is used as an adjective. Such as a cotton dress. Cotton is a noun, but is being used as an ADJECTIVE.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL!
Who even uses a dictionary anymore!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I don't think I will.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
zwarte
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you capitialize nouns other than at the beginning of a sentence? Websters correctly keeps it lower case.

https://i.imgur.com/tgETsXR.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where you guys home schooled or something?  

The names of the various racial or ethnic classifications/identities - Asian, Hispanic, Caucasian, etc. - just like ancestry - Russian, German, British, American - have been capitalized for all my life.   More than half a century.  

And, in breaking news, we do the same with religious identities.  Jewish, Christian, Muslim, etc.

Yes, when you use the term "white" to describe White people, it too is capitalized.

White and black are not "various racial or ethnic classifications/identities" neither are they "religious identitites", they are adjectives describing the color of one's skin. Adjectives are not capitalized unless at the beginning of a sentence. Fuck off back to your public school system. I figure it was public school since you said "where you guys home schooled or something" instead of "were".

https://i.imgur.com/tgETsXR.png

Dictionaries reflect usage and editors' choices. The 23 year-old definition I cited you to shows "Black" when used as a noun to be sometimes capitalized that long ago. And, yes, lots of nouns get capitalized in all usages. They are called proper nouns.

There is no "correct" when it comes to usage. English usage is not like weights and measures. There are, however, reference sources that deal with style and usage, such as dictionaries. They will usually identify common usage, archaic usage, slang, etc.

It's fine to say that you do not like the trend in usage towards capitalizing Black but not white. It is, however, meaningless to say it's "incorrect" or "wrong." It's just usage. It is what it is. It's also not a new trend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dictionaries reflect usage and editors' choices. The 23 year-old definition I cited you to shows "Black" when used as a noun to be sometimes capitalized that long ago. And, yes, lots of nouns get capitalized in all usages. They are called proper nouns.
View Quote

Holy fuck, NOUNS are not capitalized, PROPER nouns are because they are NAMES. Go back to my original post where I say "black" is "not a proper noun or title".

You can't make up rules. Adjectives, even when a noun is being used as a noun adjunct, are never capitalized.

No matter which way you pre-face the word "black", it is lower cased.

Edit: Unless you are talking about Mr. Black. There's your fucking proper noun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It's ok to be White.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
black lives matter are a communist terror organization.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Holy fuck, NOUNS are not capitalized, PROPER nouns are because they are NAMES. Go back to my original post where I say "black" is "not a proper noun or title".

You can't make up rules. Adjectives, even when a noun is being used as a noun adjunct, are never capitalized.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one is the name -- "Judaism" or "Jew?"  Is "President" when it precedes "of the United States" a name? When you write "General Washington," what part of speech is "General?"
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
black people.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which one is the name -- "Judaism" or "Jew?"  Is "President" when it precedes "of the United States" a name? When you write "General Washington," what part of speech is "General?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judaism PROPER NOUN, the NAME of a religion. Religion NOT capitalized because it is a regular fucking noun.

President PROPER NOUN when used as the TITLE of a specific person.

United States PROPER NOUN, the NAME of a country. Country NOT capitalized because it is a regular fucking noun.

General PROPER NOUN when used as the TITLE of a specific person.

Already all fucking addressed. And guess what? "Black" once again is neither a title or a proper noun, unless, as already stated, you are talking about Mr. Black.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL!
Who even uses a dictionary anymore!
View Quote

Right. Spelling is white privilege.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're wrong. White and black are adjectives. Period. They do not describe a racial descent or nationality. . . . Which again, basic English news flash, are ADJECTIVES which remain lower cased.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You're wrong. White and black are adjectives. Period. They do not describe a racial descent or nationality. . . . Which again, basic English news flash, are ADJECTIVES which remain lower cased.

We started out with you asserting that "white" and "black" can only ever be adjectives. I cited a 23 year-old standard dictionary that showed otherwise and that even then "Black" when used to refer to people was sometimes capitalized.

Quoted:
Do you capitialize nouns other than at the beginning of a sentence? Websters correctly keeps it lower case. . . .

We somehow moved on to you asserting that nouns only get capitalized when they start a sentence.

Quoted:
Holy fuck, NOUNS are not capitalized, PROPER nouns are because they are NAMES. . . .

Next, you asserted that proper nouns get capitalized because proper nouns are "names." We then had to establish that proper nouns include many more things than names, titles being but one example.

Of course, your original assertion was that "black" and "white" should never be capitalized merely because they are adjectives. So, when I write "Jon is a Jew," what part of speech is Jew? If you say "proper noun," what makes it a proper noun? If I write, "Jon is Jewish," what part of speech is "Jewish?" Why is it capitalized? When not referring to cocktails, what is the difference between a "white Russian" and a "White Russian?"

There is more to capitalization than sentence position and part of speech. It gets all the way down into usage and can be used sometimes for clarity. Capitalizing "Black" when referring to a person or a group of people is perfectly consistent with long-standing norms of English usage.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My 1981 edition of the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary says one definition of "black" is "of or relating to the Negro race."   Plus, "of or relating to a group or race characterized by dark pigmentation."   Plus, "of or relating to the Afro-American people or culture."

It also defines Asian as "of, relating to, or characteristic of the continent of Asia or its people."              

Its the oldest handy dictionary in my office.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
blacK
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
That's fine, I'll just treat blacks the same as dems when writing of them unless they are used to start a sentence, and I will try to avoid that too.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s not special enough. The fact that it’s not special enough is racist.  
From now on, capitalize the whole word in an inverse font!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Our answer to these things should be to refer to people's color by the Sherwin Williams color guide. I'm referring to myself as "certain peach."

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family#/active/color-wall/section/sherwin-williams-colors/color/2312/sw-6625-certain-peach/

ETA: Morgan Freeman appears to be "reddened earth."
View Quote

Well, Bud. I'm using the Pantone Matching System. I say Morgan is PMS 1405. (Capitalized).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Fv@% the dictionary! And MF POS who says it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We started out with you asserting that "white" and "black" can only ever be adjectives. I cited a 23 year-old standard dictionary that showed otherwise and that even then "Black" when used to refer to people was sometimes capitalized.

We somehow moved on to you asserting that nouns only get capitalized when they start a sentence.

Next, you asserted that proper nouns get capitalized because proper nouns are "names." We then had to establish that proper nouns include many more things than names, titles being but one example.

Of course, your original assertion was that "black" and "white" should never be capitalized merely because they are adjectives. So, when I write "Jon is a Jew," what part of speech is Jew? If you say "proper noun," what makes it a proper noun? If I write, "Jon is Jewish," what part of speech is "Jewish?" Why is it capitalized? When not referring to cocktails, what is the difference between a "white Russian" and a "White Russian?"

There is more to capitalization than sentence position and part of speech. It gets all the way down into usage and can be used sometimes for clarity. Capitalizing "Black" when referring to a person or a group of people is perfectly consistent with long-standing norms of English usage.
View Quote

My first post in this thread stated otherwise, I very directly said proper noun or title. But feel free to ignore that and continue to distract from the fact that you are wrong.

Black, whether being used as an adjective or a noun, is lower cased. It is not a pro noun, it is not a title, it is being used to describe a person. Even when you use it as a noun, it is being used as a noun adjunct (once again, something already said) which is again, describing, as an adjective, the noun following it.

Your use of Jew/Jewish is irrelevant. As both are the name and title of a religion and people of said religion. Black is neither the name of any religion or ethnicity, nor is it the title of the individual it is being used to describe. A White Russian is a pro noun, it is the NAME of a drink. White is part of the drinks title. Are you saying that an African American persons title is Black Man? I would say you're pretty racist in that case.

Am I going crazy? How many ways can someone argue that they are wrong. It is quite apparent you don't understand and at this point I am wrestling with a pig.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#22]
black
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
black

black

black

black
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
bLACK
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My first post in this thread stated otherwise, I very directly said proper noun or title. But feel free to ignore that and continue to distract from the fact that you are wrong.

Black, whether being used as an adjective or a noun, is lower cased. It is not a pro noun, it is not a title, it is being used to describe a person. Even when you use it as a noun, it is being used as a noun adjunct (once again, something already said) which is again, describing, as an adjective, the noun following it.

Your use of Jew/Jewish is irrelevant. As both are the name and title of a religion and people of said religion. Black is neither the name of any religion or ethnicity, nor is it the title of the individual it is being used to describe. A White Russian is a pro noun, it is the NAME of a drink. White is part of the drinks title. Are you saying that an African American persons title is Black Man? I would say you're pretty racist in that case.

Am I going crazy? How many ways can someone argue that they are wrong. It is quite apparent you don't understand and at this point I am wrestling with a pig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if I told you a person can be a white White Russian?

The basic point that you refuse to acknowledge is that words that denote a person's membership in a group are usually capitalized, regardless of part of speech or sentence position. This is long-standing, standard English usage. For example, you would not capitalize "black" if you write "His skin is almost black." On the other hand, to parrot a usage common here, it would be standard usage to write "He is a Black."
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Why are dog breeds capitalized?   Airedale.  

Black is a racial classification that replaced Negro.  

Black is specifically used on the 2020 US census form when the question is "race."  First choice - White (capitalized.)  Second choice "Black or African American."  Capitalized.  

In 1980, the long form census, for race used "White" and "Black or Negro."

In 1960, the US census form used "White" and "Negro."  By 1970, it changed to "Black or Negro."    

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Want to lose all credibility, that's a good start right there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Do we have to capitalize N's too?

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Nah
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Seems black and White to me
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Do the Grammar Police issue tickets or just haul you to the jail for this?

Asking for a friend
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#32]
white

blue

black
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
what about White?
View Quote

Capitalizing that evil word is racist.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
But you’re  blick
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is true of all races, ya illiterate bastard ??
View Quote

'Black' ain't a race.

The races are: Caucasian, Negroid, Mongoloid, Australoid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ll say it again.  The AP Stylebook has made the same ruling. Uppercase Black. The AP Stylebook is the bible of journalism. When AP makes a change, every newspaper and most magazines fall in line. This not an optional thing for most publications.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top