Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never flown internationally with a backpack.  If you're going hiking or doing an Eat Pray Love tour, maybe.  Traveling for business, its not really a thing.

Regular luggage/laptop bag.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah.. about that... Saddleback leather is a Texan company. So about the euro fag part.
WRONG.
Bet you're used to that too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing screams Euro-fag like a leather "satchel" We're talking about the leaders of the world here, not ancient also-rans.
Yeah.. about that... Saddleback leather is a Texan company. So about the euro fag part.
WRONG.
Yeah..

No shit.
Every wrangler wearing,  Resistol tipping texan is carrying one these days.
Are you hiding under a rock or just have a thing for eurowinnies.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fwiw, I travel a lot and spend about 50% of my time in airports.

The fancy travel bags are generally less of a hassle to deal with when going through TSA or customs.  I like being able to pop out my electronics quickly, and put them back in protection just as easily.

A lot of the fancier bags come with moveable sub bags or compartments. You can segregate your socks from your shirts and also your toiletries. I usually carry grocery store bags for my dirty clothes and zip locks for items that are prone to leak (shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, shaving cream etc).

I've found that not all fancy bags are created equally. You really have to be picky. Not all match up well for say.. carrying a business suit or other situation specific clothing. Look them through and see what seems to match best.

I'd say that you should keep away from the Lithium Ion powered, Bluetooth on, wireless suitcases if I were you. The TSA and airlines are coming down hard on them due to battery safety issues.

I rock a Tortuga travel backpack, I can store a weeks worth of clothing, a business suit, dress and casual shoes, toiletries, a laptop, travel monitor and associated electronics with room to spare.

Good luck
View Quote
I didn't know such a product existed.
No issues having a battery power pack, for charging phones/tablets, on my carry on I take it?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its for taking  a piss in the bathroom at the airport. I hate rolling my bag on piss. Rather have everything on my back. And a backpack is more useful around town
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why a backpack?

Do you guys think a regular carry-on suitcase is somehow unmanly?.

You get one with wheels (ugh) if you really can't carry it by the handle (like a man).
Its for taking  a piss in the bathroom at the airport. I hate rolling my bag on piss. Rather have everything on my back. And a backpack is more useful around town
Damn. You bring up a real good point here. Maybe I will stick with a backpack.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The bag you have now have u used it a lot as a range tactical bag?  MAke sure you get everything out of it that can’t fly.  Also will it pass an explosive swab test?   Failing one isn’t a fun day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
No, you do not need a 'fancy' backpack for international travel.

I've been using a North Face 'Borealis' for years for a lot of int'l travel; it was also my EDC when I lived in Hong Kong. It is low key, does not scream 'tacticool', and does what I need it to do. I always check a suitcase so I don't need it to carry on a ton of stuff. It has a waist belt and chest strap in case those are ever needed. It's big enough to carry a change of clothes but it isn't too bulky. I use it to carry on some comfortable clothes to change in to on long flights - this makes a big difference on >15hr nonstops to Asia.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What?

Hell I carry a rolly-spiny carry-on in ADDITION to my back-pack. With some of the long layovers in a 50+ hour trip I am gonna want a change of clothing for a shower in Hong Kong. BTW, I’ve never actually touched the wheels on my carry-on luggage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Its for taking a piss in the bathroom at the airport. I hate rolling my bag on piss. Rather have everything on my back. And a backpack is more useful around town
What?

Hell I carry a rolly-spiny carry-on in ADDITION to my back-pack. With some of the long layovers in a 50+ hour trip I am gonna want a change of clothing for a shower in Hong Kong. BTW, I’ve never actually touched the wheels on my carry-on luggage.
Different strokes and all that but hard bags generally aren't allowed on helicopters (O&G industry) so I'm used to traveling with soft bags.  I like to be able to sling my bag and not put it down on the bathroom floor but that's just me- of course I also take my shoes off when I go in the house as well.  And yep, I carry a change of clothes and shower in the lounges as well.  I highlighted the last part of what he wrote about a backpack being more useful in town, who uses a rollerbag around town?  A daypack is infinitely more useful when sight seeing, running to the store, etc.

Oh, and OP, either learn to use a squat toilet before you go or check the toilets before rushing in.  Narita had both types last time I was there; hotels and such should have western toilets.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No issues having a battery power pack, for charging phones/tablets, on my carry on I take it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fwiw, I travel a lot and spend about 50% of my time in airports.

The fancy travel bags are generally less of a hassle to deal with when going through TSA or customs.  I like being able to pop out my electronics quickly, and put them back in protection just as easily.

A lot of the fancier bags come with moveable sub bags or compartments. You can segregate your socks from your shirts and also your toiletries. I usually carry grocery store bags for my dirty clothes and zip locks for items that are prone to leak (shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, shaving cream etc).

I've found that not all fancy bags are created equally. You really have to be picky. Not all match up well for say.. carrying a business suit or other situation specific clothing. Look them through and see what seems to match best.

I'd say that you should keep away from the Lithium Ion powered, Bluetooth on, wireless suitcases if I were you. The TSA and airlines are coming down hard on them due to battery safety issues.

I rock a Tortuga travel backpack, I can store a weeks worth of clothing, a business suit, dress and casual shoes, toiletries, a laptop, travel monitor and associated electronics with room to spare.

Good luck
Yeah I know right? I think it’s a relatively recent thing. I started noticing it about a year ago when all of the higher end, hard sided travel bags started advertising for it.

Nah you shouldn’t have any issues.  I carry a drone with me sometimes when I’m visiting a new place so I can get some neat photography. Usually that means 3-4 batteries in my carry on.  So long as I tell the TSA people what it is before it hits the scanner their response is usually “that’s cool” and then that’s the end of it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the contemporary update  to a product
of their's I have been using for nearly thirty years (bought at O.C. CA REI in late 1988)

Mine spent a good portion of the 90's in and out of overheads on the way to being toted about cities and countryside far and near
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ll agree that “need” is a subjective thing. Like other posters have said - the conventional stuff works just fine.

I traveled for years with a 40 dollar Walmart suitcase. Because it was cheap and looked like nothing, no one ever bothered it.  There is a lot said for traveling under the radar and not advertising wealth.

I’m picky about how I pack so I want all of my crap in their own specific bags and perfectly folded.  Not to say that you can’t do it with the other non fancy bags, but the others make it a whole lot easier to cater to my personality.

You probably can’t go wrong with any of the major brands.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I traveled for years with a 40 dollar Walmart suitcase. Because it was cheap and looked like nothing, no one ever bothered it.  There is a lot said for traveling under the radar and not advertising wealth.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#13]
For those of you with MOLLE bags, what are you attaching to make your travel easier?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh yeah dude, one last thing and I’ll stfu.

If you do purchase a fancy hard sided bag, the paint scratches really easily. So.. don’t put it in checked luggage or the ramp rats will scratch the hell out of it.  It’s an expensive mistake to make..
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Then I would say "No".

Just wondering, what does that bag weigh?
View Quote
It weights way to much. I actually picked it up while in Texas and got to drag it around the entire State during summer. That wasn't fun.
I'm not into all the "man purse/murse" leather bag drama but some say the new bags made by Saddleback are too expensive and quality has dropped a lot.
This one was supposed to be the strongest leather briefcase made back in the day.
I'll give them that, its tough as nails, but that thick leather gets too heavy at times.
As I was saying, for me its when I need something somewhat more classy/formal and dont feel like carrying a cheap ass looking cordura bag.
But its not for carrying around a lot, especially when full of heavy stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is the contemporary update  to a product
of their's I have been using for nearly thirty years (bought at O.C. CA REI in late 1988)

Mine spent a good portion of the 90's in and out of overheads on the way to being toted about cities and countryside far and near
View Quote
Actually, that is pretty damn nice and well thought out. Spending a touch more for luggage seems crazy until you travel a bit and then things like this bag really do make life easier. and I only fly once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, slap one of these on your pack and you’ll be fine.
Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

Yeah.. about that... Saddleback leather is a Texican company. So about the euro fag part.
WRONG.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, slap one of these on your pack and you’ll be fine.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52334/5AEFDEED-342B-4623-AF86-93586324D5D1-445153.JPG

FIFY
View Quote
He is going to Japan. I think we are pretty well liked there currently.

Having said that...I will be curious OP, if you will receive any denigration for your mixed race and if so I wonder if it will be more than a Caucasian person would get.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The bag you have now have u used it a lot as a range tactical bag?  MAke sure you get everything out of it that can't fly.  Also will it pass an explosive swab test?   Failing one isn't a fun day.
View Quote
The 5.11 bag is used for between home and work to carry lunch and other miscellaneous work-related items.

The LBT bag is used primarily at work.

I've been out of LE, since 2013, and work in IT as a network engineer. So there shouldn't be any gun-related items in both of my bags.

As a precaution, I will be sure to double check them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#20]
This is as fancy as I get. Camelbak for less than $80.

I fly a decent amount, including internationally, and usually just take a roller carry on and this backpack.  Make sure to try the Takoyaki in Osaka too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I've always traveled with just two hard side cases. One larger checked and a smaller carryon that holds my laptop, toiletries and a days worth of clothing along with a small messenger type bag stuffed inside for when you arrive and need to get your stuff from hotel to job site. If you want to look like a tourist and invite the types who target them a backpack is the best way to do it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Having said that...I will be curious OP, if you will receive any denigration for your mixed race and if so I wonder if it will be more than a Caucasian person would get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, slap one of these on your pack and you'll be fine.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52334/5AEFDEED-342B-4623-AF86-93586324D5D1-445153.JPG

FIFY

I lived a total of 9 years in Japan.
My last stint was for 3 years, and I was 13 to 16 years old.
Needless to say, the Japanese girls loved me.
I knew noticed any denigration. I spoke pretty good Japanese then, and it was during the mid 1980's when I was there last.
I probably can get by as a preschooler with my Japanese right now.
Thankfully, there's the Google translate app.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is as fancy as I get. Camelbak for less than $80.

I fly a decent amount, including internationally, and usually just take a roller carry on and this backpack.  Make sure to try the Takoyaki in Osaka too.
View Quote
That and the cheesecake!
Been watching youtube videos on Osaka.
My keto diet is going out the window that week.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I knew noticed any denigration. I spoke pretty good Japanese then, and it was during the mid 1980's when I was there last.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Ah', in my head this was your first trip there but I don't know why I would have thought that. Well good luck and have fun. I say take whatever you have. I would be more concerned about my headphones for what I am sure is a bitching long flight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Pelican 1510 and a $20 dollar backpack
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#26]
"Hey guys,... should I use my normal person backpack when flying "internationally"?  Ooooooor option 2 "buy a douchey molle everywhere backpack so everyone on the beach knows I'm a operator"?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No. Use what you have
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Hey guys,... should I use my normal person backpack when flying "internationally"?  Ooooooor option 2 "buy a douchey molle everywhere backpack so everyone on the beach knows I'm a operator"?
View Quote
I’ve had a Maxpedition bag for years now.

Really well made, but a feel like a total mallninja douche when I use it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys, I have a job interview coming up!  Should I....

A. Wear a suit and look presentable?
-or-
B. Wear my see-thru fishnet t-shirt like an extra from Jersey Shore?

*I should note the fishnet see-thru really accentuates my 3" nipple rings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys, I have some of these new flavor tide pods! Should I....

A. Do my laundry so it smells fresh and clean?
-or-
B. Eat a couple like the master of my own destiny that I am.  YOLO!?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#31]
GORUCK GR2.

My 5.11 served me well for my trips to Japan.

Just a bit too small.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ah', in my head this was your first trip there but I don't know why I would have thought that. Well good luck and have fun. I say take whatever you have. I would be more concerned about my headphones for what I am sure is a bitching long flight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

I've been pleased with my SkullCandy Krusher.
Also have an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x I use at work I can use too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pelican 1510 and a $20 dollar backpack
View Quote
Never thought about using a Pelican case.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Go Ruck GR2.

You will end up selling that 511 and lbt when you get it...
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Go Ruck GR2.

You will end up selling that 511 and lbt when you get it...
View Quote
Looks like a great pack.
I'd have to sell my other packs to afford it though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#37]
http://news.goruck.com/from-hq/our-25-off-earned-service-discount/
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#38]
This is the backpack you need to fly internationally!

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Look at the Vanquest Trident 20 or 31.  I have a 20 right now and am extremely happy with it.  I use it for my patrol EDC pack with light jacket, poncho, snacks and water, IFAK and extra mags, etc.

thinking about picking up a 31 for more outdoorsy work.

Very well thought out pockets and straps.  Comes on "non-tactical" grey.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://news.goruck.com/from-hq/our-25-off-earned-service-discount/
View Quote
Thank you!
Now, being a veteran, ex-LEO, and current govt employee, if the discounts stacked, that would be awesome!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I use an rei 25litre backpack. Serves me fine. Been flying internationally and domestically for 10 years now.

One guy said something about a nalgene. Yes. It will save you money in the long run. Plus environmental reasons and shit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I use an rei 25litre backpack. Serves me fine. Been flying internationally and domestically for 10 years now.

One guy said something about a nalgene. Yes. It will save you money in the long run. Plus environmental reasons and shit.
View Quote
I've got plenty of nalgenes.
My Kelty Raven 2500 is just a tad over the dimensions (41 litre) listed on our booking confirmation.
Not tempted enough to use it and end up having to check it in though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I know I'm in the minority here, but unless I'm going camping I don't wear a backpack in public. I certainly wouldn't consider wearing one when I'm dressed to travel. Up to you what you want to look like.

This is just an example. You might get something in the same class for closer to $50 if you hunt. You know how Amazon pads out their prices.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Wheeled-Underseater-Large-Black/dp/B00F9KE912/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518119105&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsonite+Wheeled+Underseater+Large

It's small enough to go under the seat in front of you so you don't have fight with the mooks for overhead space. If you need more room to pack, there's a class that's larger but will still fit in the overhead bin.

And if you get good and fed up with the carry-on hassle, get a big hard sided suitcase like I did and check it the old fashioned way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Personally, I would just your LBT backpack and not over fill it.  Domestically, 95% of the time I have never had a problem unless you are flying on a discount airline like Frontier or Allegient.

Overseas, they might be more strict.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You obviously need a $ 400 goruck!
View Quote
$400?   It's your funeral.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Rock what you got. I have a camelback pack I use for travel which is very low-profile without looking high speed, low drag...
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I've used a 5.1.1. Rush 72 for the last few years.
It can be crammed into whatever rack they have to measure carry on luggage.
I've never been questioned about it and will carry 1 weeks worth of clothing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Long ago I got a nondescript gray REI travel backpack, which was made specifically to the allowable carry-on dimensions. It has internal frame stays as well as a full waistbelt and shoulder harness that both tuck into a zippered enclosure on the back allowing use with a suitcase handle or shoulder strap.  Really handy item to have.

ETA:
Something like this.....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014EBM3KA/?tag=carryonbackpack-20

Most places in the world you end up doing more walking that typical US environments. Something like this makes it a lot better if you're walking a mile from train station to hotel or something like that.  It's a good carry on for the flight and then excursion pack for shorter trips while you are there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Try to look like a Canadian.  Find out what they're using and get it.  
View Quote
That's some cowardly shit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#50]
That 5.11 covert pack is fine for this purpose.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top