Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Butter is actually lower calorie.

Use whatever fat is appropriate to what you’re making. If it’s just plain scrambled eggs, butter is usually better. If it’s some Spanish torta or Italian frittata, then olive oil.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Always.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
stay the fuck away from my Kerrygold
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Olive oil is liquid gold……..it’s why we Greeks live to be 200 yrs old.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I cook eggs in lard. It’s actually healthier than butter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Olive oil butter?
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I use olive oil, but just out of convenience/laziness because it's sitting right there in an easy pour bottle.  Butter's all the way across the kitchen in the fridge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#10]
bacon grease > pork grease > ghee > beef tallow > butter > fake butter > all other trash
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I cook my eggs in butter and keep bacon fat in my fridge to add flavor to various dishes.  If you're looking for healthy alternatives I also use avocado oil and coconut oil regularly, just not for eggs...
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I fry my eggs in bacon grease like a real person.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer about 4-6 soft boiled eggs, steamed. The runnier the better. Couple dashes of hot sauce. Maybe a sprinkling of parmesan or mushed up on toast.

Steaming them gives a very easy to peel egg.

Otherwise, frying them in bacon fat sunny side up with enough fat in the pan to be spooning it over the top of the eggs continuously until the egg white set up quickly and leave a super runny yolk.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#14]
OP - unless you're spending a premium, your olive oil that's "healthier than butter" is most likely fake...

https://vitalveda.com.au/learn/extra-virgin-olive-oil-fraud/

Also, butter is healthy and a better option than anything vegetable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How hot are you cooking your eggs?  If you go too hot with the olive oil you are forming free radicals.  The key is don't cook any oil beyond it's smoke point.
View Quote
Yes I agree, knowing smoke points and usages is one of the basic kitchen knowledge things. Yeah, olive oil is particularly bad when it gets to it's smoke point, it scorches and actually makes nasty gas and smoke in the cooking space. Butter turns caramelized long before it starts to get nasty so you can see it happening and get the food on it, turn it down, or start over.  

I use avocado oil in the kitchen, it's light enough to fill in for a salad dressing but has a smoke point 100 degrees higher than peanut oil.

Not only do these have different smoke points, what they do when they get to their smoke point varies. I never have problems with coconut oil but olive oil is nasty when heated too far. Bacon grease probably varies a lot, it is up there on the scale though.

Also note, you are also probably getting counterfeit olive oil so "extra virgin" and "light" olive oil aren't. Light olive oil sounds like something adulterated for less fat somehow and likely has worse oils in it, read the label.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe heresy for the fat-fetish junkies but I microwave scrambled eggs in a glass bowl. No grease, no alien flavors, season to taste.

And more "heresy": bacon sucks. Mostly just fat cooked to crispness with very little actual meat. I'll take a slice of ham/Canadian bacon or sausage over bacon to go with my eggs.
View Quote
Try an "Eggtastic", those will let you cook the veggies first then steam the egg on top in the microwave. They still work a bit better with a small bit of oil though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Burn him!!!  BUUURRRNNN HIIIMMM!!!

ETA:  Is there some kind of method to nuking scrambled eggs?  I tried it once and the solidified slab of egg that came out was simply horrific, the rubbery consistency was so incredibly off-putting I fed it to me dags.
View Quote
Enclose it with a cover and a little water. Also, 30 seconds at a time and then a pause.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Olive oil is disgusting and gives me heart burn
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
OP is not from Georgia.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Poached is far superior to fried
View Quote

It makes us pariah, but I agree that a properly poached egg is far superior, particularly when being used in an egg and cheese on English.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I cook my eggs in butter and keep bacon fat in my fridge to add flavor to various dishes.  If you're looking for healthy alternatives I also use avocado oil and coconut oil regularly, just not for eggs...
View Quote

Coconut oil is probably better than both olive oil and butter as it increases your HDL despite being a saturated oil without being crazy on the LDL scale.  Olive oil is still better than butter and most hydrogenated vegetable oils too. Canola and olive are about the best veg oils though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Coconut oil is probably better than both olive oil and butter as it increases your HDL despite being a saturated oil without being crazy on the LDL scale.  Olive oil is still better than butter and most hydrogenated vegetable oils too. Canola and olive are about the best veg oils though.
View Quote

Canolla is poison. Rapeseed processed at high temps. Oxidizes in you body causing damage and coronary disease. So are most of the other oils. Olive oil is one of the few that is derived straight from the "plant" with no heat. Our livers produce the cholesterol in our bodies. Carbs cause mine to be higher. Eating lots of fat reduces my numbers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, fuck that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I could deep fry the fucking things and they would still stick. I like eggs but cooking them is an annoying course in furstations.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Exactly what makes it healthier than butter?
View Quote

Olive oil raises your "good" cholesterol, butter fats raise the "bad".

No big deal to younguns. But when you're in your 50's and wake up in the heart cath lab, you'll get it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Fake news

Grass fed butter is healthy and tastes great.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bacon grease is the way

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Olives and eggs have a similar ovoid shape, cooking them together distorts the feng shui of the dish as well as cataclysmically redirecting life-affirming chi. Nothing good can come of it.

As pigs and cows do not have an ovoid vernacular, they can symbiotically coexist with the egg, rendering it good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Olive oil raises your "good" cholesterol, butter fats raise the "bad".

No big deal to younguns. But when you're in your 50's and wake up in the heart cath lab, you'll get it.
View Quote

Bad fats store in blood vessels…

Yeah, having the cardiologist show you your 90% blocked LAD in the cath lab is not the time to find out you made bad choices, lol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Olive oil eggs are disgusting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#31]
You don't sous vide your eggs?  Savages.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Canolla is poison. Rapeseed processed at high temps. Oxidizes in you body causing damage and coronary disease. So are most of the other oils. Olive oil is one of the few that is derived straight from the "plant" with no heat. Our livers produce the cholesterol in our bodies. Carbs cause mine to be higher. Eating lots of fat reduces my numbers.
View Quote

You can get cold press processed canola which may actually have nutrient benefits over olive oil and it’s higher smoke point makes it the vegetable oil for high heat grilling and deep frying.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much oil do you need to cook eggs, lol? I just oil the pan…
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Scrambled eggs in butter, and fried eggs in bacon grease.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Butter. Prevents eggs from sticking to a stainless steel pan. Can add a little avocado oil, more stable when heated.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You can get cold press processed canola which may actually have nutrient benefits over olive oil and it’s higher smoke point makes it the vegetable oil for high heat grilling and deep frying.
View Quote

Look up rapeseed. It is not good for us at all. Poison with nutrients is still poison
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Yup OP, I started using EV Olive oil last year....
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#38]
For fried eggs I use canola oil spray.
Super light application of it.

It's the only time I use cooking spray.
Butter makes the eggs too greasy for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Bacon grease, master race checking in!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Best way: Half butter half EVO, olive oil keeps butter from burning.
View Quote
this.

then, throw your English muffins in the pan upside down on another pat of butter, and make a proper egg sandwich.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Look up rapeseed. It is not good for us at all. Poison with nutrients is still poison
View Quote

Lol, the rapeseed used to make canola oil is genetically modified to almost eliminate eurcic acid and the rest is eliminated when it’s extracted and refined. Cold pressed canola retains most of the nutrients and none of the toxins.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Bacon grease for this guy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any amount on eggs is terrible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#45]
OP literally drinks gallons of...

evoo

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes I agree, knowing smoke points and usages is one of the basic kitchen knowledge things. Yeah, olive oil is particularly bad when it gets to it's smoke point, it scorches and actually makes nasty gas and smoke in the cooking space. Butter turns caramelized long before it starts to get nasty so you can see it happening and get the food on it, turn it down, or start over.  

I use avocado oil in the kitchen, it's light enough to fill in for a salad dressing but has a smoke point 100 degrees higher than peanut oil.

http://gratebites.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SmokePoint-infographic.png
Not only do these have different smoke points, what they do when they get to their smoke point varies. I never have problems with coconut oil but olive oil is nasty when heated too far. Bacon grease probably varies a lot, it is up there on the scale though.

Also note, you are also probably getting counterfeit olive oil so "extra virgin" and "light" olive oil aren't. Light olive oil sounds like something adulterated for less fat somehow and likely has worse oils in it, read the label.
View Quote
Avocado oil (avocado everything) is deadly to birds. (pet birds in your house, not outdoor wild birds)
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bacon grease.  I used to keep all of my bacon grease and strain it through coffee filters.  Used that shit on everything.  
View Quote

Same, except I've got a special little grease strainer jug thingy that strains it then goes right to the fridge.  If I don't use it up before I fill up the jug, I'll soften it up, pour into Gladware pint food containers, then freeze 'em.  Once they've harden up I pop them out of the containers, vacuum pack the "brick", and into the deep freeze.

Bacon grease is a resource to be appreciated and conserved, not scraped off into the trash can like used Crisco or something.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
well, damn!  Might as well cook a salmon, and then cook the egg in salmon oil.    (I think that is one of the best oils for your entire body, isn't it?)
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Spanish style.

If you dont like olive oil you need better olive oil
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You don't sous vide your eggs?  Savages.
View Quote
I frequently sous vide my eggs right in the shell. At 212 degs.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top