BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's annoying about the Slingster? It's my preferred sling and I have them on everything.  It can do just about everything a single point can do if set up correctly.
View Quote

@Paulie771 maybe I set it up poorly? Seems like too much fabric on such a tiny gun.

Also I've only "needed" a rifle once in HD so I don't have a lot of experience there. in 3 gun we move our rifles around with strollers
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. It’s really hard for someone to take away your weapon when it’s physically attached to you.

If I’m not as concerned about having to wear it for a long time I usually just use a 1 point sling. It still gives you good retention but also stays mostly out of the way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Paulie771 maybe I set it up poorly? Seems like too much fabric on such a tiny gun.

Also I've only "needed" a rifle once in HD so I don't have a lot of experience there. in 3 gun we move our rifles around with strollers
View Quote
This video helped me a lot getting my stuff set up:
Easy Rifle Accuracy Hack: How to Use a Sling
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless your home defense gun is the family's  old matchlock musket, or  more modern  but still older single barrel shotgun or double barrel side by side shotgun, with no sling options, then you might have excuse.  All your home defense long gun(s) from 1970's onward were likely built with sling mounting options. Which you should use, because why would you handicap yourself on the worst event of your life?

Even the older guns have had  modern part adapters made for them.  Uncle Mikes filled a niche market,  and was the go to Brand option that many look down at today,  to allow you to install sling studs into the wood or add a clamp bracket around the barrel(s) and possibly a magazine tube. Back when manufactures didn't include them as the default.  

This not having a sling , is like the debates of I don't need a Weapon light, I'll just turn on the lights in the room,   What if the power is out or has been disabled, ever hear of looting after a storms? Like Hurricanes, Tornadoes or Massive thunderstorms..... Always more pro's than con's to having one.

Don't forget the older people that are still rocking the same home defense guns they had back in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. Be it their basic classic Double Barrel (the Biden Special), an old revolver, that they never bought those fancy  speed loaders or moon clips for, and/or a lever action.  They're not your typical poster here, they may never go online to gun forums. They exist and how the set up their home defense guns is just as important to think about.   Shocking as this sounds, this forum does not represent the majority of gun owners, even as diverse as its membership has become...  

Now debating the subject of why the hell do modern Slings cost so damn much for some damn webbing and a slider buckle, is worth debating.

The irony is most people pay for all this quick disconnect hardware then never use it. Then again that is like this whole  thread, it is better to have the option and never need/use it, then need it right then and not have it because you were cheap and lazy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Home defense SBR rifle has light, red dot, suppressor and sling. Though according to GD I'm probably going to die because I prefer 3 point slings. Almost all my rifles have slings, mostly G.I. web slings, couple others with 3 point and a few 1907 leather slings.

My home is very small and cluttered and any intrusion is going to require very fast action on my part to respond in time, it's less than 30' from master bedroom to front door or sliding door located in the kitchen, the only two ways in or out of my home without climbing through a window. I will try to get my sling on, but there is a good possibility I may not initially get a chance to sling up, but will have the option if time permits. And any confrontation in the house is going to be very close quarters and a good chance of going hands on if I don't get to shoot before an invader is within arms length. Being able to retain my rifle is vital as far as I'm concerned. Like others have said, better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it.

As for using a rifle for home defense. We have no children, so I don't have to worry about them being in the line of fire or sneaking in or out at night. and wife should always be behind me seeking cover and calling 911 as well as keeping intruders out of the bedroom with her own firearm for me to retreat to if needed. My house exterior walls are all cinder block on brick construction, so not a lot or worry about overpenetration as long as I don't put a slug through a window.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Most commercial slings are overbuilt for duty.  For HD a thin, slim sling with thoughtful placement of QDs on long gun (along the lines of a Proctor sling) can be compact and out of the way, or quickly put into use.  Tensioning for long shots is less probable a use unless you live on a ranch on the border or something.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top