Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people I know of view it as an exotic. It’s an oddball for sure. Power. Hand assembled. Limited release. There are more vettes made in one year than all vipers of all years combined. It was a relatively affordable at one point but the prices are climbing fast.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Vtec strikes again.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
These things are the ultimate "fuck your nanny state" machines.    They sent the safety man out to lunch with the insurance people and built an insanity machine while they were gone.  These things have ABS and that's about it.  None of that horsepower robbing stability control bullshit!  

Not who I expected to climb out of that car at the end.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn. He lived

Darwin misses another
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC the main goal was zero to 100 and back to zero in the shortest time possible. If they could have eliminated the brakes to save weight they would have.

View Quote

That would have made back to zero a bit more difficult...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank God he spared the Caravan
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a friend back in the day who owned two. One was a convertible. His wife divorced him because she said he'd never amount to anything, then his little business hit it big and he fucking rubbed it in her face.

I rode with him once. If you're familiar with Dallas, we were at a bar on Skilman and we pulled out of the parking lot and he just gave it a little throttle. He broke the rear end broke loose on purpose and we're spinning around, drifting in the middle of Skilman. Then we get on Central and head north. Some kid in a pos fox body mustang with a supercharger wants to race us on Central. My friend doesn't even downshift and we blow the mustang away like it was standing still. We were at 155 before he decided to slow it down. It was fucking crazy on Central with all the traffic. I didn't take anymore rides with him.

Just so much power to the wheels, it's easy to see how the guy in the video lost it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most people I know of view it as an exotic. It’s an oddball for sure. Power. Hand assembled. Limited release. There are more vettes made in one year than all vipers of all years combined. It was a relatively affordable at one point but the prices are climbing fast.
View Quote

.... And there is one less now.

Yep, you gotta tame the back end on these, lots of torque and it WILL get away from you if you aren't controlling it.

A guy used to autox one of these, described it like driving with an egg under the pedal that keeps changing sizes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Years ago I was driving along a rural UK road when I came across a Viper parked up on a grass verge. Not something you see every day so I went back to check it out and found a woman sat in it. As we talked I realised there was another Viper there, only this one was upside down in a field about 30yds away. Turns out the lady and her partner had been delivering the pair when he managed to do something stupid, left the road, cleared a low stone wall and ended up in the field. I was impressed..
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The front fell off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

.... And there is one less now.

Yep, you gotta tame the back end on these, lots of torque and it WILL get away from you if you aren't controlling it.

A guy used to autox one of these, described it like driving with an egg under the pedal that keeps changing sizes.
View Quote

I’m very aware. I’ve had a few close calls.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This has been a hot topic since the beginning.

In a lot of ways, the Viper “seems” exotic.  The performance (contemporary to any models year) was certainly there.   The looks are there. The price, not so much. The exclusivity….that’s a tough one because the answer is “sort of?”

If we look at it in terms of “it was an alternative to the corvette they never really succeeded at that”. It isn’t very exotic.  Corvettes are awesome, but they are anything but exotic or exclusive.   (And in many peoples minds, that is what people see the Viper as…the “other” American sports car)

If we look at it in terms of it being designed to be an value alternative to some of the best performance exotics in the world, it could go either way. Is it the budget exotic or is it the non exotic car that slays exotics?

From a technological standpoint, it doesn’t bring much to the table. It is the old schools formula of cramming the biggest engine around into a small, simple car.  Exotics tend to be technological marvels.  

There is also the reality of the dealer experience. Exotic cars tend to have pretty 1st class dealer experiences. (Even if the dealer is really small). The Viper is a Dodge.  There is nothing interesting about a Dodge dealership.

At the end of the day, some folks think they are exotic. They certainly get grouped together with exotics at events. While vettes are usually grouped in with  pony cars and the like. ((Broad statement, far from absolute, but anyone who does enough car stuff in multiple places knows this is true).  

I have had several. I never really saw them as exotic.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This has been a hot topic since the beginning.

In a lot of ways, the Viper “seems” exotic.  The performance (contemporary to any models year) was certainly there.   The looks are there. The price, not so much. The exclusivity….that’s a tough one because the answer is “sort of?”

If we look at it in terms of “it was an alternative to the corvette they never really succeeded at that”. It isn’t very exotic.  Corvettes are awesome, but they are anything but exotic or exclusive.   (And in many peoples minds, that is what people see the Viper as…the “other” American sports car)

If we look at it in terms of it being designed to be an value alternative to some of the best performance exotics in the world, it could go either way. Is it the budget exotic or is it the non exotic car that slays exotics?

From a technological standpoint, it doesn’t bring much to the table. It is the old schools formula of cramming the biggest engine around into a small, simple car.  Exotics tend to be technological marvels.  

There is also the reality of the dealer experience. Exotic cars tend to have pretty 1st class dealer experiences. (Even if the dealer is really small). The Viper is a Dodge.  There is nothing interesting about a Dodge dealership.

At the end of the day, some folks think they are exotic. They certainly get grouped together with exotics at events. While vettes are usually grouped in with  pony cars and the like. ((Broad statement, far from absolute, but anyone who does enough car stuff in multiple places knows this is true).  

I have had several. I never really saw them as exotic.

thanks for replying.. it was your post I was addressing, but this is an interesting question I've thought about before.

you make alotta good points... I for sure think the biggest ding against is it's a fuggin' Dodge and that's where you're doing business, within the warrantied life anyway... not exactly an inspiring or ego stroking atmosphere.. I do get the price argument, but personally feel like end product kinda carries more weight here and the Viper is definitely relatively exclusive in fact if not in price... IMO the very thing that makes the Corvette not exotic is there's one at every intersection, that and the styling while handsome isn't anything special... the Viper is uniquely beautiful and sexy and really holds it's own there... also feel like having a unique engine rather than dropping in something already in production helps the argument... from what I understand Lamborghini(owned by Chrysler at the time) helped develop that engine... I'm guessing largely because Lamborghini has lots of experience with large aluminum castings, but nonetheless a nice entry for the footnotes... as is Shelby's involvement and a solid racing pedigree.

I'm just sharing some thoughts here, I'm no expert but it's a fun exercise... neat that you've owned them

Quoted:

yeah, I agree
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I've maybe seen 2-3 Vipers in my entire life in the wild
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?

How we do traffic in Houston:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Mines relatively well known in town. It gets driven.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sadly it’s a huge problem with viper owners. Tires get old and hard. Some cars literally only go out for a few hundred miles a year. Then they have 15 year old tires on them. Pretty sure my tires are getting aged about at only 5 years. PZeros tend to get hard fast. I do have a spare set to put on soon that are newer and 0 miles.

Here’s a write up from someone in the viper community that knows what’s what. Sorry for the wall of text. But worth reading for any sports car owner.

View Quote

I had an old coworker wreck both a 70s Camaro and a 80s Fiero in the same month because both were running OEM tires. Both times he flew off an interstate on ramp. "I dunno what happened the tread looked fine!"
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC the main goal was zero to 100 and back to zero in the shortest time possible. If they could have eliminated the brakes to save weight they would have.

"What'chu talkin 'bout Willis?". This old guy had no problem getting  back to zero without brakes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Drunk drivers and street racers are fucking cocksuckers.

I hope the prick learned his lesson. Too bad we don't see the fucker getting arrested.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Knew a guy who died in his Viper.  Was crossing a highway and got Tboned in the passenger side by an SUV. DRT.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Ram Tough
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Well what do you expect when you design a car to look like a clown shoe
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"What'chu talkin 'bout Willis?". This old guy had no problem getting  back to zero without brakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well what do you expect when you design a car to look like a clown shoe
View Quote

Clown shoe you say…

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not when engaging in an illegal speed contest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And guess what. Insurance won’t pay for it….

Wrong, that's what comprehensive is for.

My sister in law ignored road closed signs, drove around the offset barricades and through freshly poured road concrete. 100 percent at fault, the only excuse is illiteracy or not being able to read the language posted. It was posted in English and she reads quite well.

Not only did insurance pay out for that, they went after the COUNTY for not having the road completely blocked instead of just marked.

Insurance covers a lot of stupidity. They'll most likely drop the guy after, but they'll probably cover the car.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it would, and it's part of why they couldn't(obvious safety reasons aside).
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Leno had a garage show on his a couplea years ago... one a those clamshell hoods is like 25k

https://i0.wp.com/hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Viper.jpg?resize=1024%2C768&ssl=1
View Quote

the hood cost was my first thought. I think they have the distinction as having the most expensive hood of any production vehicle. Not only that, but they are a nightmare to get lined up correctly when a new one is installed from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Cold tires.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I did that with 800hp on cold tires a little more than a month ago. But I kinda know how to drive.
Put a little English into the wheel and kept her straight.
4 out of 5's
View Quote

You know that guy never learned to "Pedal" a high-powered car.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks expensive

My question is: if you have a Viper, why lower yourself to racing some clapped out piece of ricer shit?
View Quote

I'LL BET IT WASN'T CHEAP!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Imagine totaling your Viper while flexing on an Integra.

What an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How about BMW then? The standard 4cyl M3 was making almost 100hp/l in 1991.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meanwhile in 1992 Porsche was putting pretty much the same power to the ground with a 3.6L 6cyl.

I like the sketchy early cars, I find the lack of refinement endearing.

Derp comment is derp.

Only with the help of a turbo...

Nothing from a factory in the 90s was doing 450+hp naturally aspirated unless you had the displacement.

Coevette ZR1s barely made 400+ from 5.7liters with a DOHC.    Compared to 500+ all day every day from lower displacement engines of today.

How about BMW then? The standard 4cyl M3 was making almost 100hp/l in 1991.

My 98 M E36 with some tuning was cranking out 330HP and would/could get away fast, but the Viper was another beast.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Imagine losing a race to a piece of shit four cylinder with no hood, and wrecking your Viper too.
View Quote
lol........best comment so far
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I've seen more wrecked Vipers than any in one piece.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Car in the op has less horse power than a C5 Corvette with a cam swap  or a C5 Z06 , but a C5 is a much more forgiving car .
View Quote

The point I made isn't refuted by any of the foregoing.

Jean shorts, white sneakers, Corvette T-shirt, white goatee, sunglasses.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Cool crash. Unimpressed by the Viper. less impressed with skills of driver, or lack of skills.

Sold my 911 turbo because I couldn't keep my foot out of the floor. WAY too many nights doing 200+mph on an empty highway. Eventually your luck will run out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#40]
lol...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I will never forgive dodge for not making the viper a v-12. Stupid v10 sounds like a ups truck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's two in Juneau Alaska if I remember right. One bright yellow one and one blue with white stripes. I knew the owner of the yellow one and he kept joking about racing me on my bike if he saw me out and about. We finally ended up at a light together and he scared his coworker that was riding shotgun that had no idea we had made a pact I'll never forget looking in my rearview and seeing that Viper totally sideways followed by it screaming past me shortly thereafter. When I talked to him later he said my bike was so loud he couldn't hear his car and it messed him up a bit
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I will never forgive dodge for not making the viper a v-12. Stupid v10 sounds like a ups truck.
View Quote

So right.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
These things are the ultimate "fuck your nanny state" machines.    They sent the safety man out to lunch with the insurance people and built an insanity machine while they were gone.  These things have ABS and that's about it.  None of that horsepower robbing stability control bullshit!  

Not who I expected to climb out of that car at the end.
View Quote

@kells81
May I use this as sigline material?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My sister in law ignored road closed signs, drove around the offset barricades and through freshly poured road concrete. 100 percent at fault, the only excuse is illiteracy or not being able to read the language posted. It was posted in English and she reads quite well.

Not only did insurance pay out for that, they went after the COUNTY for not having the road completely blocked instead of just marked.

Insurance covers a lot of stupidity. They'll most likely drop the guy after, but they'll probably cover the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And guess what. Insurance won’t pay for it….

Wrong, that's what comprehensive is for.

Nope, illegal acts are excluded in GA policies….likely all policies.  If he lies its fraud…a crime
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

V10s inherently sound badass.
The only issue one could have with a viper V10 sound wise is they just don't rev enough to really give you that V10 awesomeness.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I’ll take “Things that Never Happened” for $200 Alex
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks expensive

My question is: if you have a Viper, why lower yourself to racing some clapped out piece of ricer shit?

Ditto.

Also, this generation of Vipers were known to be lethal.

I'm not sure if it was this exact one, but many of the early ones were bought back by Dodge because they were not up to safety standards and people were dieing. They were made for the track, not cruising the roads.

I have accidentally broken the rear wheels loose on a '97 Viper GTS (at least, I think it was one of the Plus models over the base Viper).  Chrysler was junketing that model year to a bunch of journalists, and the whole event was based at our hotel.  The journalists were supposed to bring the Vipers back to the Dodge kiosk in our parking lot when they were done for the night, not the valet station at the front of the hotel.  Where I was.  

It happened a few times.  The time the tires broke loose, the aggregate front driveway had gotten wet, and wet aggregate is not the stickiest of substances.  Gently blipped the throttle in first gear, the tires spun, the car twitched and yawed, and I caught it.  Mainly because I was only doing 5 MPH or so.  No torque steer involved.

As it turned out that model could go a lot faster in our parking lot...  Stops about as well as it got up and went, too.  Amazing car.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I butchered it a bit, its been a long time since I read about it.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chrysler-ordering-pre-production-1992-dodge-vipers-be-destroyed/

There is a lot of stuff online saying over 50% of the early models were totaled out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I butchered it a bit, its been a long time since I read about it.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chrysler-ordering-pre-production-1992-dodge-vipers-be-destroyed/

There is a lot of stuff online saying over 50% of the early models were totaled out.

That’s an article saying cars that were loaned to tech schools have to be destroyed
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The only issue one could have with a viper V10 sound wise is they just don't rev enough to really give you that V10 awesomeness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care for the sound of most V10s, but I love the Viper sound.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#50]
My realtor made crazy bank and had his 2010 Viper twin turboed. Wrecked it leaving the turbo place.

Sold it and bought a Murcilago.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top