User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Eagle46

Ah, thanks for the inside scoop. So how often were these used in an anti-personnel role?

BTW, I found the vid of the Syrian Army(?) using the Russian version against some Terry's. Looks like some of the dudes got some serious, serious, record hang time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTWvjoLikwY

I too, was also wondering about the blast effects that the crew would have to deal with long term...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re correct. You align the vehicle to orient on the minefield, raise the rocket, fire the rocket, the rocket pulls out the line charge out of the crate and pulls it taught across the minefield. The rocket motor burns out and the line charge falls to earth in a straight line. It is comprised of a big fat rope (technical term) surrounded by 5lb. C4 blocks as you described above.

At this point the crew command detonates the line charge which creates a HUGE big badda BOOM that either detonates the mines via overpressure or hopefully throws them clear of the lane to either side. The lane is then proofed (checked to make sure there are no mines left) with either a roller or plow. Those used to be separate tanks, so here it integrates into one system that is ready to go as soon as the line charge goes off.

To the person that suggested launching and detonating this down a street and needing ball bearings - you have no idea of the amount of force this thing releases. It is awesome.????

IIRC the SDZ/surface danger zone is around a mile, and even there you feel it in your chest when it goes off. 62m away, it rocks the track. It would destroy the buildings and kill anyone nearby from overpressure.

- Old 21B/12A. Man I miss those days!

@Eagle46

Ah, thanks for the inside scoop. So how often were these used in an anti-personnel role?

BTW, I found the vid of the Syrian Army(?) using the Russian version against some Terry's. Looks like some of the dudes got some serious, serious, record hang time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTWvjoLikwY

Quoted:

I'm curious if they put pressure sensors in any of the crew's helmets and collected data.  I'd bet the risk of TBI to the crew is pretty high, especially after repeated firing.  Being close to explosives is hard on the body and that thing looks like it has a heck of a shock wave.  Looks like it takes a lot of work for two shots to clear 750 feet.  I'd love to see one fire in person though.  

I too, was also wondering about the blast effects that the crew would have to deal with long term...

@IronBalaclava
@sandboxmedic

Sorry I missed this @

Not often used in the antipersonnel role as there are so many other systems that can do it better and more efficiently. @Daemon mentioned the canister round, which is more effective now than it was in 1865, when it was devastating against troops in the open (I’m not that old, FYI). It is also in limited supply and a pain in the ass to conduct reloads as it needs a crane, so if you use it for a TIC, it better be in a Final Protective Fires/oh shit we’re being overrun role. It’s effectively a 2,000 lbs. bomb on your position - troops in the open will not survive.

When I was a PL in the ‘90’s we didn’t have the in helmet sensors. I haven’t seen info on them now, but suspect TBI could be an issue. It will seriously rock your track.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm curious if they put pressure sensors in any of the crew's helmets and collected data.  I'd bet the risk of TBI to the crew is pretty high, especially after repeated firing.  Being close to explosives is hard on the body and that thing looks like it has a heck of a shock wave.  Looks like it takes a lot of work for two shots to clear 750 feet.  I'd love to see one fire in person though.  
View Quote

The crew is well outside of K20 for blast, wearing large CVCs and is also buttoned up when firing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They use 10/22s for those.

Lots cheaper
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Izzys should use them on their violent armed "protestors".

They use 10/22s for those.

Lots cheaper

Or D9s.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@IronBalaclava
@sandboxmedic

Sorry I missed this @

Not often used in the antipersonnel role as there are so many other systems that can do it better and more efficiently. @Daemon mentioned the canister round, which is more effective now than it was in 1865, when it was devastating against troops in the open (I’m not that old, FYI). It is also in limited supply and a pain in the ass to conduct reloads as it needs a crane, so if you use it for a TIC, it better be in a Final Protective Fires/oh shit we’re being overrun role. It’s effectively a 2,000 lbs. bomb on your position - troops in the open will not survive.

When I was a PL in the ‘90’s we didn’t have the in helmet sensors. I haven’t seen info on them now, but suspect TBI could be an issue. It will seriously rock your track.
View Quote

@Eagle46

No prob, man!

Much appreciate your input and experience. Yeah, I can't imagine operating such a system would be conducive to anybody's health, for any given amount of time.

On topic-I considered picking up an inert, de-milled rocket section of the MICLIC awhile back for the man cave, but figured shipping would be kind of a pain:

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The crew is well outside of K20 for blast, wearing large CVCs and is also buttoned up when firing.
View Quote

That's good to know.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was a study just completed and standoff distances have been adjusted.

ETA: Not specifically for the crews but just pressure effects in general.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
"Fuck that goddamn cricket that won't shut up, and everything near it"

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Eagle46

No prob, man!

Much appreciate your input and experience. Yeah, I can't imagine operating such a system would be conducive to anybody's health, for any given amount of time.

On topic-I considered picking up an inert, de-milled rocket section of the MICLIC awhile back for the man cave, but figured shipping would be kind of a pain:
https://i.imgur.com/XByiTSpl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DBxSTJkh.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@IronBalaclava
@sandboxmedic

Sorry I missed this @

@Eagle46

No prob, man!

https://i.imgur.com/XByiTSpl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DBxSTJkh.jpg

I would have cut off the top foot or so. Let people wonder what it really does.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For the uninitiated, this is?
View Quote

were do the sploddy things come from?

watched the video, pretty damn cool
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the uninitiated, this is?

From a metal tub, containing a coiled C-4 Linear Charge(1,750 lbs of C-4), that gets propelled downrange via connection to a big-ass MK22 Rocket.
The M1150 ABV has two launchers, for two M58 MICLICs(3,500 lbs of C-4!).

Wiki says: "supported by metallic skis that glide on the dirt and armed with nearly 7,000 lb (3,175 kg) of explosives.", so two additional containers/rockets
on board(someone correct me if wrong)?? @Eagle46

Jesus....

BTW-the M1150 ABV that I had seen in the wild, was literally parked across the street from Costco, of all places.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top