Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That report is already out of date despite being published in February.  You can find recent info at https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/tfmp/tfmp_utf.htm

WV is in trouble.  We were way underfunded at the beginning of the year and we got people filed and drawing benefits quickly.  Based on the March and April reports it looks like we'll be out of trust fund money by mid-summer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol, I guess so? Certainly posting low numbers... I'm sure due to savvy government decisions.

What's funny is, the Florida's major gaff has been their unemployment system. But it's not the money that's the problem, it's the computer system. Funding wise, they weren't actually doing that bad.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485441/Screenshot_20200425-091017-1385476.png

That report is already out of date despite being published in February.  You can find recent info at https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/tfmp/tfmp_utf.htm

WV is in trouble.  We were way underfunded at the beginning of the year and we got people filed and drawing benefits quickly.  Based on the March and April reports it looks like we'll be out of trust fund money by mid-summer.

Of course. It was just an illustration. I was just pointing out that zero states were prepared for this proportion of their populations to be unemployed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sell to whom?

People are running out of money. Get to no money and there is no buying food.

Donate it?  Have you ever tried giving restaurant and commercial packaged kitchen food to a charity?  I had the Salvation Army and an evangelical soup kitchen turn down perfectly good food because it wasn't coming from a commercial grocer.

Sell it to retail grocers like Wegman's or Publix? Not from a non commercial source where they can be certain it was stored properly.

Each passing day I am happier that I have enough land to grow my own food. It we hit 25% unemployed we'll see a return to Great Depression and wandering bands of the homeless and malnourished,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?

Sell to whom?

Donate it?  Have you ever tried giving restaurant and commercial packaged kitchen food to a charity?  I had the Salvation Army and an evangelical soup kitchen turn down perfectly good food because it wasn't coming from a commercial grocer.

Sell it to retail grocers like Wegman's or Publix? Not from a non commercial source where they can be certain it was stored properly.

Each passing day I am happier that I have enough land to grow my own food. It we hit 25% unemployed we'll see a return to Great Depression and wandering bands of the homeless and malnourished,

People are not running out of money.

Everyday I break the sales record set the previous day.

When this started every day’s sales numbers were like Black Friday, now they are double Black Friday and still going up.

In a store that should sell $700,000 of product a week, I sell $300,000+ a day and a remarkable percentage of those sales are cash.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You have the right ideas, but i split on gambling, we did not vegas in miami its bad enough as it is with out that trash and gambling brings a whole host of problems.

Florida is a powerhouse, we just need to invest more in tech, with the rebirth of the space coast there is no reason why Florida cant be a tech capital.
View Quote

The Indians made sure Miami will never be another Vegas. Honestly I was pissed when that passed. I would love to have that here.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When this started every day’s sales numbers were like Black Friday, now they are double Black Friday and still going up.

In a store that should sell $700,000 of product a week, I sell $300,000+ a day and a remarkable percentage of those sales are cash.

View Quote

I noticed you conveniently left out the market you are speaking of.  It's not the norm.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You cannot sell commercial produce to the grocery customer, they wouldn’t buy it.

View Quote

People were lining up for it around here in south Florida.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Disney worked in conjunction with the Indians to make sure of it.
View Quote

Correct, I forgot about the rat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nope all the GenX and Millenials want it shut down here too. Florida is pretty much a lost case for the Right
View Quote
Nope

There should have never been any shutdown.

Survival of the fittest, if you think you will die stay home.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And there it is..

I guess some people would rather sit on their hand than try and save their business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been in food service for a lot of my adult life and most stuff is in 40# packs. I've never seen a 300lb package of butter. 40# blocks? Yeah, but most foodservice operations prefer 40# cases of 1# individually wrapped blocks of butter.

And there it is..

I guess some people would rather sit on their hand than try and save their business.

Boy, you nailed it. Business owners are lazy fucks who got where they are by not working very hard. I know my businesses were all built by effectively vacationing 12-16 hours a day, seven days a week, for 25 years. It's a good thing I never had to work around adversity or problems to save a company. Not once. I just sat on my hands and whistled, hoping it would all work out.

Government mandated shutdowns across the board are not free market, and do not allow the same flexibility to pivot in a new direction, when all of your potential new customers are closed or unemployed. If money is not moving, there is nowhere to pivot to..

There sure are some god damned economic geniuses on here who can explain business operations, even though they have never ran one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Boy, you nailed it. Business owners are lazy fucks who got where they are by not working very hard. I know my businesses were all built by effectively vacationing 12-16 hours a day, seven days a week, for 25 years. It's a good thing I never had to work around adversity or problems to save a company. Not once. I just sat on my hands and whistled, hoping it would all work out.

Government mandated shutdowns across the board are not free market, and do not allow the same flexibility to pivot in a new direction, when all of your potential new customers are closed or unemployed. If money is not moving, there is nowhere to pivot to..

There sure are some god damned economic geniuses on here who can explain business operations, even though they have never ran one.
View Quote

Folks just lump in business with business.   They don’t however discern between a Dow29,000 business and a Dow 19,000 business.

One main issue is in a good 29,000 economy we can support anything.   5 yoga studios in the hottest rent in Charleston, sure.   Wives aren’t working and we need their asses tight.     $17 pressed tea drinks in Florida.   Sure I’ll have 4.   Let’s open 6 microbrewerys while we are at it.  We can’t lose.

Too many folks opened businesses in the best economy ever known.    No way would shit all half of these ever made it in 2008.   Covid or no Covid.

And now, everyone wants their hand out.   I leveraged 17 microbreweries with no equity and can’t pay my rent yet I have a flannel and a flat brim.   I need a gov handout because it’s not fair I overextended myself with no business acumen.    Yeah fuck those turds.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Someone doesn’t know how sovereign debt and markets work.

I see this idea posted all the time and it’s just as retarded now as it was 5 minutes ago the last time I read it.

Laughably unworkable and almost certainly more detrimental to the US in the long run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.

I see this idea posted all the time and it’s just as retarded now as it was 5 minutes ago the last time I read it.

Laughably unworkable and almost certainly more detrimental to the US in the long run.

Actually, some folks do know how markets and sovereign debt works. Fact is, if all the countries who've been devastated by this plague cancel all sovereign debt owed to the Chinese, The Chinese would be broke and the rest of the world would be rid of a large 3rd world shithole masquerading as a first world nation. Even if the US unilaterally cancelled their debt as restitution for their treachery, they'd still collapse, particularly if we combined it with ceasing Chinese imports.

China is asshoe!
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To fucking who? It's commercial food for commercial kitchens. Hotels, Restaurants.

It's not packaged all nice and neat like the stuff you see in the grocery store, and your local Susan isn't buying 300lbs of butter at time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?
To fucking who? It's commercial food for commercial kitchens. Hotels, Restaurants.

It's not packaged all nice and neat like the stuff you see in the grocery store, and your local Susan isn't buying 300lbs of butter at time.

Maybe donate it to foodbanks and, assuming the business recovers eventually, gets a hella big tax deduction that would otherwise be a complete loss?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.

Sell to whom?

It may be a stretch, but you never know. If you have any weakness in your persec, be careful posting that online.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.
View Quote

Exactly this
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Folks just lump in business with business.   They don’t however discern between a Dow29,000 business and a Dow 19,000 business.

One main issue is in a good 29,000 economy we can support anything.   5 yoga studios in the hottest rent in Charleston, sure.   Wives aren’t working and we need their asses tight.     $17 pressed tea drinks in Florida.   Sure I’ll have 4.   Let’s open 6 microbrewerys while we are at it.  We can’t lose.

Too many folks opened businesses in the best economy ever known.    No way would shit all half of these ever made it in 2008.   Covid or no Covid.

And now, everyone wants their hand out.   I leveraged 17 microbreweries with no equity and can’t pay my rent yet I have a flannel and a flat brim.   I need a gov handout because it’s not fair I overextended myself with no business acumen.    Yeah fuck those turds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree and I do not favor government handouts to businesses or individuals.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually, some folks do know how markets and sovereign debt works. Fact is, if all the countries who've been devastated by this plague cancel all sovereign debt owed to the Chinese, The Chinese would be broke and the rest of the world would be rid of a large 3rd world shithole masquerading as a first world nation. Even if the US unilaterally cancelled their debt as restitution for their treachery, they'd still collapse, particularly if we combined it with ceasing Chinese imports.

China is asshoe!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

China is asshoe!

No, the entire world would be broke, and the chaos that ensued would be unlike anything we have ever seen. A word war would soon follow. Not "everyone" would abandoned China.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Through their Belt and Road Initiative, the ChiComs are EVERYWHERE. Even in G20 Nations like Italy. The PRC are practicing British Paramountcy to a "T". They themselves suffered under it, so they have adopted it as their own. Their economic and political grasps in the Caribbean and Latin America is frightening.

The Monroe Doctrine is dead.

American Consumers are addicted to cheap labor and purchasing costs and our dependency on foreign manufacturing or foreign manual labor in the country won't end because of it. It is no different than our drug problem. As long as Americans have an appetite and a want for dope. Dope will flow. Same goes for illegal labor and foreign manufacturing. As long as Americans want to pay as little as po3 for goods and services, it will continue to be the way it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone doesn't know how sovereign debt and markets work.

I see this idea posted all the time and it's just as retarded now as it was 5 minutes ago the last time I read it.

China is asshoe!

No, the entire world would be broke, and the chaos that ensued would be unlike anything we have ever seen. A word war would soon follow. Not "everyone" would abandoned China.
Through their Belt and Road Initiative, the ChiComs are EVERYWHERE. Even in G20 Nations like Italy. The PRC are practicing British Paramountcy to a "T". They themselves suffered under it, so they have adopted it as their own. Their economic and political grasps in the Caribbean and Latin America is frightening.

The Monroe Doctrine is dead.

American Consumers are addicted to cheap labor and purchasing costs and our dependency on foreign manufacturing or foreign manual labor in the country won't end because of it. It is no different than our drug problem. As long as Americans have an appetite and a want for dope. Dope will flow. Same goes for illegal labor and foreign manufacturing. As long as Americans want to pay as little as po3 for goods and services, it will continue to be the way it is.

Americans will learn some hard lessons in the next 20 years. Many learned before but forgotten.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bullshit, depending where, i know ppl that would take freezer full of goods. Couldve sold at discount or give to food pantry, some ppl want to create drama, not solutions.
View Quote

Even if it were sides of fresh beef and pork there would be no excuse for letting it spoil. Hungry people can be resourceful and find a way to cram it in a freezer somehow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When this started every day's sales numbers were like Black Friday, now they are double Black Friday and still going up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell to whom?

When this started every day's sales numbers were like Black Friday, now they are double Black Friday and still going up.

What industry?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Our economy is like a train. We slammed on the emergency breaks. It will take much longer to start up than it was to slow down. When a train does an emergency stop, all that cargo and weight shifts forward. The locomotive itself could be damaged due to the braking system warping the wheels, railcars could be thrown off the track, etc.... it isn't like a car came to a controlled stop at a red light and started right back up again.

*I'm not a Train Conductor or Engineer, this is just a metaphor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once the states start opening things up the economy will rebound but it won't as fast as we would like.  There has been too much structural damage done to have a rapid recovery.

It took us over a year to recover from the trillion dollar hit to the economy by 911.  It will take us several years to fully recover from this 5-7 trillion dollar hit.

If Trump gets reelected we will probably be back to 3.5-4.0% unemployment by the end of his next term.  If Biden is elected we will probably be in the 7.0%  range.
Our economy is like a train. We slammed on the emergency breaks. It will take much longer to start up than it was to slow down. When a train does an emergency stop, all that cargo and weight shifts forward. The locomotive itself could be damaged due to the braking system warping the wheels, railcars could be thrown off the track, etc.... it isn't like a car came to a controlled stop at a red light and started right back up again.

Not a bad analogy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have the right ideas, but i split on gambling, we did not vegas in miami its bad enough as it is with out that trash and gambling brings a whole host of problems.

Florida is a powerhouse, we just need to invest more in tech, with the rebirth of the space coast there is no reason why Florida cant be a tech capital.

The Indians made sure Miami will never be another Vegas. Honestly I was pissed when that passed. I would love to have that here.
One Vegas is enough.  With a little Atlantic City on the side.   FL tourism is fine the way it is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Don’t you care about the old and frail, OP?   If we can save just one geriatric!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ya man, just go out there and jump into Kroger/Walmart/Cosco's supply chains overnight. SUPER easy im sure..
View Quote

There's no such thing as a small independent retailer in south Florida?

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting fifteen ethnic markets up here. Those guys are always wheeling and dealing. They don't give a fuck what you're selling, if they can make a buck off of it, they're buying.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell to whom?

Demand is being pulled forward.  As state unemployment funds start to run dry, that will change.  I know I have been buying way more this month in anticipation of the coming months.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Umm. Not packaged for retail?  

View Quote

Yeah, you never see that on products sitting on retail shelves.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They all buy their shit from Costco or Sam's Club.
View Quote

Are they a wholly owned subsidiary? Why wouldn't they buy from a wholesaler willing to undercut Costco or Sam's Club?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's a difference between "it's not supposed to happen" and "it doesn't happen."
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

there's a difference between "it's not supposed to happen" and "it doesn't happen."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also a difference between keeping your business afloat and letting food rot on the shelves.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It’s tempting to blame politicians, bureaucrats, “doomers” and democrats, but we need to be honest in assessing the future:  Tourism will be down big time, regardless.   For a long time.   People aren't in a vacationing mood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
No cruise ships, no hotel stays, no tourism, no beaches.

These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now. My neighbor owns a commercial food distribution biz that services restaurants and she can't afford to reopen it. All the employees(50-60) are hosed.

We have to get back to work..

It’s tempting to blame politicians, bureaucrats, “doomers” and democrats, but we need to be honest in assessing the future:  Tourism will be down big time, regardless.   For a long time.   People aren't in a vacationing mood.

I have honestly been thinking about taking the whole family to Orlando when this is over. Only problem is, how do we know when it is over? I don’t think the threat has turned out to be as great as predicted, but at the same time I am not too excited to go be in the sort of huge crowds at amusement parks pre-pandemic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once the states start opening things up the economy will rebound but it won't as fast as we would like.  There has been too much structural damage done to have a rapid recovery.

It took us over a year to recover from the trillion dollar hit to the economy by 911.  It will take us several years to fully recover from this 5-7 trillion dollar hit.

If Trump gets reelected we will probably be back to 3.5-4.0% unemployment by the end of his next term.  If Biden is elected we will probably be in the 7.0%  range.

You should stick to talking about cop stuff.

Your knowledge of trains is about as bad as your knowlegde of the history of the .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Your knowledge of trains is about as bad as your knowlegde of the history of the .40 S&W.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Maybe donate it to foodbanks and, assuming the business recovers eventually, gets a hella big tax deduction that would otherwise be a complete loss?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a business loss is a tax deduction just like giving it away to a charity. You deduct how much it cost you.

the problem is you have to have revenue to use that tax deduction.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miami is absolutely right on this one, regardless of train physics.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As coronavirus batters the economy, Florida leaders may have to slash budget

TALLAHASSEE  The Republican-controlled Florida Legislature faces tough choices in balancing the $93 billion state budget decimated by the coronavirus crisis, decisions that could wipe out or drastically reduce teacher raises, road work, affordable housing projects and more.

Lawmakers last month passed the spending plan based on revenue projections made in January, well before the coronavirus brought much of the economy to a halt. When state economists make new projections, likely no sooner than sometime in May, the Legislature will know how big of a hole they have to fill.

If it is large enough, it could wipe out or significantly reduce $500 million in teacher pay raises, nearly $400 million in state worker pay raises, the boost in Medicaid reimbursement rates for nursing homes and other pieces of a budget that won so much bipartisan support the spending plan passed unanimously.

Then the options left to lawmakers are decisions that Republican leaders don't typically want to make: accept federal bailout money to fill a large budget hole; borrow money in much larger amounts than in recent years; make drastic cuts to a range of programs; or raise taxes and fees  long considered unacceptable by Republican leaders.

Gov. Ron DeSantis and Senate President Bill Galvano, however, have pointed to Florida's $4 billion in reserves, the strong economy before the pandemic and the expected federal funding from the CARES Act as reasons to be hopeful the hit to state coffers won't be catastrophic.

DeSantis has even suggested the Legislature might not even have to come back the Capitol to rewrite the budget. He could sign the budget while vetoing enough projects to give a cushion that, combined with CARES Act funds, could cover any sharp drop in revenues.

"We've got to see what the economic prognosis looks like," Desantis said last week. "The numbers I've received are not anything that would cause us to have to redo the current fiscal year budget."

"And even next year, given the amount of money we've received, a lot of people feel that could be doable," he added.

But for now, the Legislature hasn't formally sent the budget to his desk, passed during the regular session that ended in March, and DeSantis has said he's solely focused on the pandemic response.

The early indications, though, suggest the downturn could be too steep, and lawmakers will need to redraft a spending plan based on more realistic revenue projections.

More than 26 million people filed for unemployment since mid-March, wiping out 10 years' worth of job gains. Retail sales for March fell 8.7 percent compared with February, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report. Industrial production fell 5.4 percent, the largest monthly drop since 1946. The Fitch Ratings agency predicted a "deep global recession" for this year on April 2.

For a state as reliant as Florida is on tourism, it points to a prolonged recovery. Florida gets 20 percent of its sales tax revenues from tourists, and 79 percent of its $33 billion general revenue fund.

The shock could ripple out beyond the hospitality sector, though, affecting parts of the budget not directly tied to sales taxes. Lawmakers opted not to raid the affordable housing trust fund this year, leaving $370 million in it, but if prospective homebuyers put off making that large purchase, it could put a dent in the real estate transaction taxes that flow into that trust fund.

Gasoline prices have plummeted as residents have been encouraged to stay home except for essential trips. That equals fewer gas taxes to pay for road work.

Galvano sent a memo to senators April 16 laying out how the CARES Act would benefit Florida, while acknowledging the abysmal economic news. Hospitals around the country will receive $30 billion; K-12 school districts will receive $770 million in grants; universities will be eligible for $792 million in grants.

"We're trying to find 127 million tourists to have the confidence to come back and patronize our state," Patronis said during a task force meeting aimed at reopening the state. "This is a one-of-a-kind enemy we've never seen before."

He's pointed to dire economic forecasts, such as a "stress test" from Moody's Analytics projecting Florida could face a $6.4 billion shortfall, combined with a $1.74 billion increase in Medicaid expenses, meaning lawmakers would be looking for $8.14 billion, or nearly 24 percent of its general revenue.

Tax increases, however, would be tricky to pass. House Speaker Jose Oliva has staunchly opposed them and DeSantis made it a campaign pledge to veto any tax increase.

Patronis has been urging state economists to convene to issue new revenue forecasts to account for the coronavirus. But Amy Baker, the state's chief economist, says they won't be able to make projections about revenues or the economy with any amount of confidence until mid-May at the earliest.

New numbers on March revenues, April unemployment figures and updated global and national economic forecasts from rating agencies won't be released until then, giving leaders little time to react to the budget hole for the fiscal budget year that begins July 1.

There will also be more decisions made in that time about when and how to reopen, which could give economists more clues as to how quickly the state will rebound.

For his part, DeSantis said he'll likely have to wield a hefty veto pen, even on programs he believes in, to have a big enough cushion to account for the economic downturn. Some projects could get funding the following year, he suggested.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/resizer/CdqZfwRuZ3yivyMSApv3BQ_V0dA=/415x258/top/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/FPLNVT5MX5EX3NIEQIO4ITV3AA.jpg

Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis: "We're trying to find 127 million tourists to have the confidence to come back and patronize our state.''

Hey Mr Patronis, open up the state, and I'll be there tarpon fishing next week. K thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.tenor.com/images/468b450b6518f16d31f26e6b78b7078c/tenor.gif

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I never knew there was a Florida in Deutschland.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Blame China for this, stop buying their products, if you don't know where it is made then ask.
Put the seller on the spot, ask them point blank, where is this shit made?
I have been sending things back that I ordered in the last few weeks because they are made in Fucking China.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]
It's fun to watch all the "Fuck China" sentiment but then see all  the threads about going to Wal Mart
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your neighbor is that fucking stupid she shouldn’t be in charge of anything, much less perishables. Distributors around here are selling inventory to anyone with cash. Truckloads of it. Your neighbor should have done likewise.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#49]
To all of you that say don't buy anything from China, here is an example of the problems we face. Today I realized that I need to buy some good C clamps because the ones that I was using were cheap junk (they are old, off brand, and I have no idea where they were made). Well I started shopping online and found some that looked quality and had good reviews (I won't mention the brand because it doesn't matter) for about $25 each. Of course they were made in China. I then searched for a made in USA C clamp, and found one brand that still manufacture them in the USA.  Guess what the price was? $117.00 each. I told my son "either we pay the Chinese communists, or we go bankrupt." So which one would you buy? Which one will most people choose? Do you see the problem?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To all of you that say don't buy anything from China, here is an example of the problems we face. Today I realized that I need to buy some good C clamps because the ones that I was using were cheap junk (they are old, off brand, and I have no idea where they were made). Well I started shopping online and found some that looked quality and had good reviews (I won't mention the brand because it doesn't matter) for about $25 each. Of course they were made in China. I then searched for a made in USA C clamp, and found one brand that still manufacture them in the USA.  Guess what the price was? $117.00 each. I told my son "either we pay the Chinese communists, or we go bankrupt." So which one would you buy? Which one will most people choose? Do you see the problem?
View Quote

buy once, cry once
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top