Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 says Edward Snowden deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a millennial thread?
Because there's a lot of f@*^ up support for someone who clearly betrayed America's secrets
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a millennial thread?
Because there's a lot of f@*^ up support for someone who clearly betrayed America's secrets
View Quote
What is wrong with exposing America’s secrets about what it does to its own citizens without their knowing or consent or any legitimate constitutional authority?

During the gulag days of the Soviet Union, most Russians who were wrongly imprisoned (nearly all of them) believed that “once Stalin finds out that you’re imprisoning  me, an innocent person, you’re really going to get it!!”

To whom should Snowden have aired his grievance?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Mixed feelings.  None of those poll options really match for me.

Good guy or bad guy, nothing he did excuses what the government did and is still doing to the American people.  You don't get to wrap yourself in a shield of patriotism while you're using that cloak to violate the right of the people against unreasonable search.  And yes, I think the framers would have been more explicit if they ever in a million years thought there was the possibility that the government could soak up millions of Americans' everyday communications and store them for later analysis of content.

I'd be ok with Snowden going to prison.   If James Clapper goes first.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We are in the majority, but that's not why we're right.

What Snowden did had to get done.

The problem is that it's still fucking going on. They're still spying on Americans without a court order.
View Quote
This, and "they" encompases many, many agencies at all levels, down to Officer Friendly's license plate scanner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'd run if I couldn't get a fair trial from the government, too.
View Quote
He would have been "Clintoned" within a few days.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There was very little he disclosed that foreign intelligence agencies weren't already aware of.  Regular people were the only ones who didn't know.  Because every first world intelligence agency does the same things.

Some of the stuff involving federal law enforcement agencies using NSA, and the phone companies, to spy on Americans in what can only be described as massive fishing operations, probably needed to be exposed.
View Quote
"We have to look at everyone in order to find the bad guys, but once you prove your innocence you can go about your business."
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Guy was a Russian/Chinese asset the entire time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Traitor. His enablers can make all the excuse they want but it doesn't wash. He took documents he had no right to access and gave them to our enemies. Rot in hell because you are never coming back to this country, you traitor, Snowden.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What is wrong with exposing America’s secrets about what it does to its own citizens without their knowing or consent or any legitimate constitutional authority?

During the gulag days of the Soviet Union, most Russians who were wrongly imprisoned (nearly all of them) believed that “once Stalin finds out that you’re imprisoning  me, an innocent person, you’re really going to get it!!”

To whom should Snowden have aired his grievance?
View Quote
The law provides a process and who to take your grievance to and not break the law. He chose to make his own laws. Screw him. He lied and deceived others to gain access to documents he had no security reason to access. He had no idea what he was accessing. To be blunt He was looking for dirt to make him famous not right a wrong. That was purely accidental. During the days of Stalin he threw all kinds of people in the Gulags, Criminals, christians, political enemies and people just for shits and grins. No one thought Stalin was a saint wanting to right wrongs. He was pure evil.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
he’s a patriot
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The problem is that it's still fucking going on. They're still spying on Americans without a court order.
View Quote
And then went further into disclosing completely unrelated information that fundamentally undermined huge portions of legitimate intelligence activities. In doing so he deliberately, intentionally put lives in danger and effectively shoveled billions of dollars into a burn pit.   And then fled to and sought asylum in several nations that are only not referred to as enemies because it's impolite and inconvenient to be honest about it... and bought his way in with even more information that had nothing to do with the one good thing he may have done.

Yeah, guy's totally a hero.  *golfclap* Excellent analysis.  So accurate, very wow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sad anyone here would call the guy a traitor for exposing how the federal government is pissing all over our 4A rights.  If you voted that way then think long and hard next time you say some shit about how you'd use your 2A rights to take on a tyrannical government.  You'd clearly be a traitor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty sad anyone here would call the guy a traitor for exposing how the federal government is pissing all over our 4A rights.  If you voted that way then think long and hard next time you say some shit about how you'd use your 2A rights to take on a tyrannical government.  You'd clearly be a traitor.
View Quote
Traitors, each and every one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow,

I remember the vast majority here calling him a traitor, Russian spy, etcetera.

Whats up. People just being people and making judgments about things that they know nothing about?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Bad. Could have exposed what he did through legal means and instead became a communist puppet because he wanted attention. Typical millennial, not a hero.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm fine with him telling American citizens how they were being spied on...but I don't believe for a second that he did it out of patriotism...his actions were driven by his ego...nothing more.

I suspect that that anyone who works in the Intel community walks a fine line...knowing things that citizens probably ought to know...and living with the commitment to not ever disclose what you know. Not a job I would want. I understand why there are secrets...and the older I get the less I agree with most of the rationale for it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Listened to him on Rogan's podcast.  I considered him a traitor before the podcast.  I now consider him a hero.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He chose to go there, the government canceling his passport only limits where he can go from there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, he brings up the fact that he didn't chose to be in Russia, he's stuck there. The US gov cancelled his passport while he was on his way through Russia to another country. He can't leave without a US passport.
He chose to go there, the government canceling his passport only limits where he can go from there.
The US knew what they were doing by canceling his passport.

They are out to paint him out to be a spy-trador to ruin his word as doing what he did for this country.

He did what he did to give the American people knowledge of what our government is doing to our rights.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Fool and traitor or just a traitor.

So many gullible suckers, America is doomed
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Snowden is a throbbing anus.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The law provides a process and who to take your grievance to and not break the law. He chose to make his own laws. Screw him. He lied and deceived others to gain access to documents he had no security reason to access. He had no idea what he was accessing. To be blunt He was looking for dirt to make him famous not right a wrong. That was purely accidental. During the days of Stalin he threw all kinds of people in the Gulags, Criminals, christians, political enemies and people just for shits and grins. No one thought Stalin was a saint wanting to right wrongs. He was pure evil.
View Quote
So Snowden should have gone to the totally corrupt bureaucratic state to file a grievance about the corruption that went all the way up to the president?

And you’re wrong about how people felt about Stalin during his lifetime. Read a book. It certainly wasn’t everyone, but the majority entrapped in this system felt it was A mistake or corruption at the lowest levels, believing that Stalin was doing only what was best for Russia.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Now I need to watch the podcast.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Based Ed.

Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The law provides a process and who to take your grievance to and not break the law.
View Quote
And the three prior whistleblowers who followed that process all had their lives destroyed by the Deep State which violated whistleblower protection laws, fired them, sued them, and fucked them over in every way possible.  And nothing changed, and the NSA continued to violate the law and the constitution.

Yeah, staying within the law works so well, he shoulda just done that like those other guys did.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#28]
If there was a better way to release the info I think he would have done it. I don't know what I would have done if I found out something like that. Your a piece of shit traitor if you leak it, and you're a coward not standing up for the constitution if you don't.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The US knew what they were doing by canceling his passport.

They are out to paint him out to be a spy-trador to ruin his word as doing what he did for this country.

He did what he did to give the American people knowledge of what our government is doing to our rights.
View Quote
His passport was cancelled before he left Hong Kong. He left on an unsigned Ecuadorian travel document arranged for him by Julian Assange, who had told Snowden he wanted to be in Russia, not South America. It's honestly bizarre to me that people believe the 'the US trapped him in Russia by cancelling his passport' narrative.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Bad guy who did a bad thing that desperately needed to happen.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#32]
What Snowden did was treasonous and did irreparable harm to our national security efforts while helping our adversaries. What people focus on him exposing is merely window dressing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
IMO he wouldn't have run to our enemies if he was such a good guy.
View Quote
We’ve learned about the FBI trying to infiltrate Trump’s campaign and using the willing assistance of foreign governments to ultimately spy on Trump (MI5 and the Australian ambassador for two).

With all that you’re still naive enough to think he could have found safe harbor blowing the whistle on that machine?
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bouncing off the JRE Snowden interview thread, what’s the hive consensus on Snowden now?

Poll on the way...
View Quote
Went with misguided.  He was right to be concerned with what was going on.  He was dead wrong with how he went about addressing it.  There are tons of other ways he could have (legally) gone about raising the legalities of the programs and their sketchy activities, without turning over a lot of data to nations we dont like.  IG, letters to congressmen with appropriate clearances, ect.  I get why he did it, but how he did it was absolutely wrong.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#35]
It really doesn't matter either way, fuck the feds with a rusty fucking pitchfork.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
You mean he was pushed to our enemies, right?  He had no choice...his Passport was revoked while he was out of the country.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It really doesn't matter either way, fuck the feds with a rusty fucking pitchfork.
View Quote
Especially the ones reading this thread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I read a theory somewhere that Snowden was/is a CIA asset working to damage the NSA in an internal power struggle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#39]
It's not that the whistleblowing was necessarily wrong, it is how he did it. He could have gone internally. Instead he gave it to our enemies, hurt our country, got our people killed. He must face the consequences for that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
What do you mean, "without a court order"?  My understanding that "they" went to the FISA court and got a bonafide order to spy on Trump, so what's your problem?

LOL!...yes, total BS and perhaps one of the issues that will bring the boogaloo eventually...or stop the boogaloo.

Snowden's values and politics are bad.  Shedding some light on the .gov shenanigans is good.  He just could have done it in a...dare I say...more patriotic method.  I think he's pretty much a commie, but even a commie can shed some light that needed shedding.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's not that the whistleblowing was necessarily wrong, it is how he did it. He could have gone internally. Instead he gave it to our enemies, hurt our country, got our people killed. He must face the consequences for that.
View Quote
Do we know that Snowden’s disclosures got our people killed?
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Watched both movies about Snowden, and listened to the entire JRE podcast. I wish Joe would have asked him how he supports himself in Russia. Who pays for his living expenses, and why.
I still don't know whether he is a hero or a traitor. Or more definitively a hero, or a spy. The whole living in Russia at the pleasure of the Russian Gov't says a lot though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Common thief and a traitor. He got an Easter egg in his loot, that makes him no less garbage.

Hasn't changed a thing. That type of data collection can hardly be considered "spying" and far, far less intrusive than what tech companies do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Watched both movies about Snowden, and listened to the entire JRE podcast. I wish Joe would have asked him how he supports himself in Russia. Who pays for his living expenses, and why.
I still don't know whether he is a hero or a traitor. Or more definitively a hero, or a spy. The whole living in Russia at the pleasure of the Russian Gov't says a lot though.
View Quote
He's a traitor.

There were/are methods for someone to come forward...he knew them, had been trained on them.

Things people don't seem to consider (brought up in another thread)...why did he only go after the NSA's capabilities?  Not other things he knew/worked on?  Why weaken the NSA in favor of tools developed by the CIA?

With all the whistle blower news why not follow that exact real procedure?  I didn't realize that the whistle blower procedure was A) Leak documents B) Fly to the US's biggest economic competitor and share data with them and C) Fly to one of the biggest shit sitrrers and share data with them.

Oh and then D) complain the US wants to prosecute you for being a whistle blower.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#45]
If he’s not a traitor, what about all those he exposed. Are they traitors?
If he is a traitor, then those exposed are not traitors and freedom is redefined.
Lets have a congressional vote on the 4A for laughs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#46]
He's a Bush hating Liberal Nut Job.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
On the podcast he said he makes money by doing interviews and speaking events.

He also said he doesn’t do interview for Russia media because he wants to blend in more locally.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
To whom was he supposed to run? The only ways someone can say that he should have stayed here and faced the music are either people who think the spying he exposed was okay, or the people who think that Epstein really killed himself.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

His other grievances he could have aired to the IG.
View Quote
Yes. Just like every other abuse of power to come to light in the last three years should have been presented to the OIG, because the Inspectors General are dealing with this soft coup so effectively that heads have rolled and perps have walked?

You're smarter than this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#50]
If only Snowden would have emailed Obama, Hillary, Holder, or Brennan about the government corruption going on.

They would have put a stop to it!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top