Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2022 11:32:06 PM EDT
If not, why are they there?

If not, why are Wago connectors so popular?

Stranded/ferruled wires for me!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
For DIYers and women who watched a "remodel" on HGTV and now think they're electricians.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Backstabbing is for 14 AWG, real electricians always use 12 AWG.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For DIYers and women who watched a "remodel" on HGTV and now think they're electricians.
View Quote

That must be me because I have no idea what's going on in here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The picture on the right, notice the four holes. Those allow wire to be "backstabbed" into the receptacle. Most electricians don't like to do that, as it isn't as secure as looping the wire and clamping it with the screw from the side, especially with heat cycling.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Wagos are garbage.  It's like the shitty sharkbite of the electrical world.  

My master electrician BIL has a personal vendetta out for them, he takes great pleasure in cutting off and disposing of every one he finds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My master electrician BIL has a personal vendetta out for them, he takes great pleasure in cutting off and disposing of every one he finds.
View Quote

Let me guess, you're a big fan of wire nuts right?

We've been using Wago spring connectors in industrial automation for decades now, they're awesome.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Am slowly replacing all the back stabbed outlets in this house.

Always problems with them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Wago’s strength is in production labor jobs, like a multi family prevailing wage scale job, where you can fabricate receptacles with “tails” offsite… I don’t condone them in other applications you guys are referencing

Eta Also specifications typically require screw type connections
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Our house was built very well in the seventies and is like a bunker compared to some of the new stuff on the market today. Except for that. Caused lots of problems. Got it all done right and love our house now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm no electrician, just a hard-headed home owner, but I've used wago connectors on a few things, but only circuits for lights that would mostly likely never see more than 7 amps.  But I hate "backstabbed" outlets, I prefer to wrap around the side terminals.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
FUCK wagos and backstabbing...Jesus it takes just a few seconds to do it right...This world is going to shit... ASAP...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I feel like backstabbing is for folks either afraid of 120v or don’t know what breaker to flip.

Or laziness.

I’m not an electrician but I’ve backstabbed some outlets that I was a meh about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wago's strength is in production labor jobs, like a multi family prevailing wage scale job, where you can fabricate receptacles with "tails" offsite  I don't condone them in other applications you guys are referencing

View Quote
So they're cool for multi-fam units but not single fam units?

Seems like an emotional response, and an illogical one at that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I use Wago lever nuts all the time instead of wire nuts. And am an electrician.  

The push in ones are gay though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Your whole goal here is to prevent a house fire.

Although one would thing that short circuits would cause the most fires, that's actually not true.  Circuit breakers will catch short circuits.  The real danger is poor connections when there is high current flowing for a long period of time.  If it's a weak connection, it'll heat up and become oxidized, making it an even worse connection until a fire starts.  

So whenever you're installing an outlet, I'd recommend not backstabbing.  Carefully strip off the insulation, carefully bend the end of the wire clockwise, and tighten down the screws with a decent amount of force and make sure you're only screwing down onto copper, not any of the insulation.  

If using wire nuts, wrap them and the wires together with electrical tape and then carefully place them back in the receptacle.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use Wago lever nuts all the time instead of wire nuts. And am an electrician.  

The push in ones are gay though.
View Quote

This. Wago lever nuts are way better than I thought they'd be. I've had great results on machinery and I'm perfectly comfortable using them anywhere I'd use a wire nut.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.electrical-forensics.com/Receptacles/F10-052/LevitonDuplexReceptacle-LG.jpg

The picture on the right, notice the four holes. Those allow wire to be "backstabbed" into the receptacle. Most electricians don't like to do that, as it isn't as secure as looping the wire and clamping it with the screw from the side, especially with heat cycling.
View Quote

Im no electrician, but I do work on minor electrical shit for work. Never backstabbed an outlet. Plus I like to wrap it in electrical tape for good measure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Agreed secured with screws is better, but don't be like the debags who wired my house back in the 80s. Ours is all conduit with metal boxes and they didn't tape a single outlet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#19]
The concept of back stabbing (I.E. pushing a solid wire into a appropriately made "push wiring" connector) isn't bad.  

Lots of commercial/industrial wiring is done with similar connections.

It goes to garbage is the receiving part isn't high quality, and the person installing it fucks up at all and nicks a wire while stripping it.

Wire nuts are hot garbage too, I've seen more than one melted to shit/on fire.  Insulation retaining double crimp connectors are the gold standard for aviation for a reason. There's a reason that crimped on ferrules are used under most screw wiring connectors in critical applications too.

WAGO lever products seem like a good option, so far, to me. I do like to tape them lightly.

Don't ever buy cheap switches or recepticals.  They suck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:07:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This. Wago lever nuts are way better than I thought they'd be. I've had great results on machinery and I'm perfectly comfortable using them anywhere I'd use a wire nut.
View Quote

Yessir. Agreed!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

your like the boomer grandpa who cant use a smart phone lol.... technology always ends up hurting someones feelings
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wago's strength is in production labor jobs, like a multi family prevailing wage scale job, where you can fabricate receptacles with "tails" offsite  I don't condone them in other applications you guys are referencing

I didn’t say “they’re not cool” for residential, but maybe you don’t understand what I said and construe that as emotional or illogical?

In either case (multi family or resi) they are code compliant… It’s then up to the contractor or specifying engineer to allow or disallowed them. The point I was making is that it can create a labor savings on production jobs (big jobs) whereas it might not be worth it on a single residential. A prevailing wage scale job would be a fine example as you mitigate onsite labor for offsite prefabrication
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your whole goal here is to prevent a house fire.

Although one would thing that short circuits would cause the most fires, that's actually not true.  Circuit breakers will catch short circuits.  The real danger is poor connections when there is high current flowing for a long period of time.  If it's a weak connection, it'll heat up and become oxidized, making it an even worse connection until a fire starts.  

So whenever you're installing an outlet, I'd recommend not backstabbing.  Carefully strip off the insulation, carefully bend the end of the wire clockwise, and tighten down the screws with a decent amount of force and make sure you're only screwing down onto copper, not any of the insulation.  

If using wire nuts, wrap them and the wires together with electrical tape and then carefully place them back in the receptacle.  
View Quote

All of this except for wrapping wirenuts with tape.  Don't do that, not necessary
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I never backstab, if I replace an outlet I always use the post.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The first place I used them in ernest was when I was subcontracted at a Walmart returns distribution center. They were used exclusively throughout the conveyor lines.

'Weirdest' thing I've had to do for 120V receptacles was terminate with ferrule crimps spec'd by the engineers at a manufacturing facility.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Its absolutely acceptable, just not preferred by many folks...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen many loose connections with back stabbed outlets, never seen an issue with wagos though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Agreed secured with screws is better, but don't be like the debags who wired my house back in the 80s. Ours is all conduit with metal boxes and they didn't tape a single outlet.
View Quote

Electrical tape has no place being wrapped around a wiring device or wirenut...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Not an electrician but I always avoided them until I had to try to release a wire from one. It was not easy, so it made me more comfortable using it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your BIL and i could be bros.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Outlet installed in metal cut-in box that uses Madison straps?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  There's about a 1/64" clearance and good luck removing the receptacle w/out shorting
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]
The backstab ones that screw down work (right side).  The crappy single fin/tab ones suck (left).

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Its dumb and should be avoided.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We've been using Wago spring connectors in industrial automation for decades now, they're awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he heard it from his master electrician BiL!!!!!

It must be true!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Our house was built very well in the seventies and is like a bunker compared to some of the new stuff on the market today. Except for that. Caused lots of problems. Got it all done right and love our house now.
View Quote
Because dumb asses in the 70s used the devices as a connection point, instead of making a joint with pigtails going into the outlet. So then when a circuit was heating up, the OUTLETS would fail because they are not UL listed as a "wire connector".

Many, many failures because of assholes who did that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Fuck backstabbing and anyone who does it.

My previous house was built in 1986, every outlet and switch was done that way. Two of them had evidence of arcing and one of those actually worked a wire completely loose. I ended up replacing every outlet and every switch, screwing down the wires, and viola, no more electrical problems.

I just bought a house built in 2017, haven't dug into wiring yet but I really hope they did it the right way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not an electrician but I always avoided them until I had to try to release a wire from one. It was not easy, so it made me more comfortable using it.
View Quote

This, I never use the back stab, always connection using the screws.  I'm not an electrician.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Progress is scary.

Does he replace every screw with a flat as well?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Im no electrician, but I do work on minor electrical shit for work. Never backstabbed an outlet. Plus I like to wrap it in electrical tape for good measure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.electrical-forensics.com/Receptacles/F10-052/LevitonDuplexReceptacle-LG.jpg

The tape is totally unnecessary and pisses anyone off that has to work after you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you'd both be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm just an old rookie that can't afford to hire out everything to professionals.
My limited experience on failures I've had to deal with and the same results found by friends.
Problem was power drop or no power in a room traced to a failed connection at the outlet in the other room.
Always at the looped post not the push in connection.
I guess that's not the norm.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Outlets no because manufacturers do the minimum

Wagos sure because they are better

Lever lock wagos FTFW
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Backstabbing is for 14 AWG, real electricians always use 12 AWG.

View Quote

Yep.

Use 12 ga or go home.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Not an electrician but I dont backstab . I do use Wago LEVER NUTS theyre not the same concept as back stabbing. I dont use the 3M connectors which are just a backstab connector.  I've never felt real comfortable with wire nuts on me than 3 wires.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Backstabs are awesome; they last WAAAYY longer than the receptacles themselves.

/heavy sarcasm. Found this in a friend's place that they recently purchased.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Out here electrical tape around a wire nut on your motor leads is basically a requirement.  I've never seen a single electrician not do it. A wrap of tape around a receptacle to cover the terminals is pretty common too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.  There's about a 1/64" clearance and good luck removing the receptacle w/out shorting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always called those battleships, never heard the term madison strap.

If working on an energized device in a metal cut-in box, then wrapping would have some potential benefit. GFCI and similar sizes receptacles more-so than regular duplex type stuff. Not much argument there, but still not absolutely needed...

...have always used needlenose to bend the battleships till damn-near flat with the inside of the box so-as-to negate that issue
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The backstab ones that screw down work (right side).  The crappy single fin/tab ones suck (left).

View Quote

The left one is a residential grade receptacle. Wire can be backstabbed or side-wired via the screws.

The right one is a commercial or possibly a spec grade receptacle. It doesn't have backstab provisions but is side-wired with an internal clamping plate.

Notice the internal contacts in each device. The resi device has two contact surfaces while the higher quality device has three. The clamping/ squeezing force is much better in the spec grade device too. Its also self-grounding...

...ironically, a plug makes connection with the internal contact surfaces the same way a wire is backstabbed in a resi device
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

...ironically, a plug makes connection with the internal contact surfaces the same way a wire is backstabbed in a resi device
View Quote

Which is why I hardwire everything with Wagos wrapped in electrical tape
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top