Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd take the Model S plaid over that, but the Roadster is still cool. If the roof was removeable it would be cooler.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's less than 100 miles here in winter.
View Quote

No it isn't.

Guy at work bought one last year and his kid, who also works with me, watched the numbers like a hawk and they never changed.

Granted this was an easy winter, but the numbers held up even on the coldest days.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tesla Model S Plaid achieves record 216 mph top speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N95g8pM6Eg
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's if the chargers aren't frozen.
View Quote

Buying an electric car and not charging it at home is like buying the latest and greatest wildcat cartridge and not reloading.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Just as technology reaches its Zenith, Mankind sinks to its nadir.

??

????????
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Was wondering the same. Must be more than a CVN steam catapult launch. Need a physics guy to calculate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
0-60 in 1 second? How many G’s is that?

Was wondering the same. Must be more than a CVN steam catapult launch. Need a physics guy to calculate.

2.75G's
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Being generous and assuming the car only weighs 3k, I'm coming up with something like 2000hp to hit 0-60 in 1 second. Color me skeptical.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
He needs a hybrid at a minimum to stay in the market past the ev apocalypse . Take the same car and put the lv3 in back running only one head miller-cycle...up front he can have electric.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I've mostly thought of the Tesla's having boring styling. Then I see sports cars often with fake venting and similar styling cues that are useless. I look at this model and I actually appreciate the lack of fake venting grilles. I see the simple yet sexy design and I like it which is weird because I hate EVs.

This car reminds me of something my recently deceased sixth grade teacher used to say. "Simplicity is the essence of elegance."
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
EVs are no doubt being pushed by the globohomo Communists and deserve all the hate they get and more... But that is objectively a very cool car.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
EVs are no doubt being pushed by the globohomo Communists and deserve all the hate they get and more... But that is objectively a very cool car.
View Quote

When reality sinks in..

Mercedes-Benz Shelves EV-Only Plan In Favor Of More Gas-Powered Cars

Last week, Mercedes-Benz revealed that it will now delay its goal of becoming an electric vehicle-only brand by 2030. The firm added that it will continue to produce internal combustion-engined cars and hybrids well into the next decade.

Spurred on by weaker than expected demand for EVs, this about-face was the most recent indication that the global car industry is growing increasingly pessimistic about an all-electric future. Last month, Renault shelved plans to list its EV business Ampere because of sluggish stock market conditions. GM also cut EV production targets due to slowing demand.

Mercedes-Benz’s CEO Ola Kallenius says that his company will adopt a flexible strategy as it reacts to “peaks and troughs” in the transition towards EVs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2024/02/28/mercedes-benz-gets-cold-feet-with-ev-only-plan/?sh=204a8f64cfec
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]
To hell with '0 to 60'. How about a trip of 700 miles in winter temps? The EV must stop for an extended charge, possibly more than one, where the gas car or hybrid will beat the EV to the destination by several hours with one short fuel stop. I just bought a new gas vehicle after trying and liking the hybrid version - I didn't trust the technology and there is no doubt that the battery would have to be replaced about the time it was paid off whether I wanted to keep it or sell it, to the tune of around $8000. This makes it a throw-away purchase for me, which at $45K I can't/won't accommodate. I still think the hybrid is a great solution if the batteries can be made to last twice as long or half as expensive. The manufacturers could probably come up with some kind of monetary plan to help offset that cost if they thought about it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Let's calculate the acceleration for a 0 to 60 mph in 1.1 seconds:

Acceleration in m/s
=
?
mph
?
m/s
?
s
Acceleration in m/s=
1.1s
60mph×0.44704m/s
?

Acceleration in m/s
˜
?
m/s
Acceleration in m/s˜24.349m/s

Now, we can calculate the acceleration in G-forces:

Acceleration in Gs
=
˜
?
Gs
Acceleration in Gs=

?
˜60.35Gs

This is extremely high level of acceleration and well beyond what the human body can endure without significant risk of injury or fatality.
View Quote

No

F=ma
a=dV/dT

a=[(60-0)miles/hour]/1seconds

a=[60miles/3600seconds]/1seconds

a=.0167miles/3600seconds^2

a=27.308 m/s^2
g=9.82 m/s^2

G's=27.308/9.82
G's=2.78 (approx)
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Being generous and assuming the car only weighs 3k, I'm coming up with something like 2000hp to hit 0-60 in 1 second. Color me skeptical.
View Quote

Problem is, it’s not just power. You need traction.

Until it’s proven, I’m going to put this in the truck vs ball category.

Elon Musk's epic Cybertruck 'bulletproof' window smash fail
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd take the Model S plaid over that, but the Roadster is still cool. If the roof was removeable it would be cooler.
View Quote

The roof is removable
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No gas. No care.
View Quote

I might be wrong, but I think I looked up your post history when I joined for the St Judes drive. Aren't you a Nuke? If I have the wrong guy I apologize.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When reality sinks in..

Last week, Mercedes-Benz revealed that it will now delay its goal of becoming an electric vehicle-only brand by 2030. The firm added that it will continue to produce internal combustion-engined cars and hybrids well into the next decade.

Spurred on by weaker than expected demand for EVs, this about-face was the most recent indication that the global car industry is growing increasingly pessimistic about an all-electric future. Last month, Renault shelved plans to list its EV business Ampere because of sluggish stock market conditions. GM also cut EV production targets due to slowing demand.

Mercedes-Benz’s CEO Ola Kallenius says that his company will adopt a flexible strategy as it reacts to “peaks and troughs” in the transition towards EVs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2024/02/28/mercedes-benz-gets-cold-feet-with-ev-only-plan/?sh=204a8f64cfec
View Quote

Seems like they cant compete with Tesla
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Illegally tinted front windows, do not want
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

lol Your math is as bad as your EE rating
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's calculate the acceleration for a 0 to 60 mph in 1.1 seconds:

Acceleration in m/s
=
?
mph
?
m/s
?
s
Acceleration in m/s=
1.1s
60mph×0.44704m/s
?

Acceleration in m/s
˜
?
m/s
Acceleration in m/s˜24.349m/s

Now, we can calculate the acceleration in G-forces:

Acceleration in Gs
=
˜
?
Gs
Acceleration in Gs=

?
˜60.35Gs

This is extremely high level of acceleration and well beyond what the human body can endure without significant risk of injury or fatality.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Y’all are over complicating this. Assuming linear acceleration over such a short duration you can just divide out gravity to get the approx average G force… If the car goes 60MPH in one second then that’s 26.82m/s per second

Gravity is 9.81m/s2

26.82m/s2 = X*9.81m/s2
26.82/9.81 = X
X = 2.73
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To hell with '0 to 60'. How about a trip of 700 miles in winter temps? The EV must stop for an extended charge, possibly more than one, where the gas car or hybrid will beat the EV to the destination by several hours with one short fuel stop. I just bought a new gas vehicle after trying and liking the hybrid version - I didn't trust the technology and there is no doubt that the battery would have to be replaced about the time it was paid off whether I wanted to keep it or sell it, to the tune of around $8000. This makes it a throw-away purchase for me, which at $45K I can't/won't accommodate. I still think the hybrid is a great solution if the batteries can be made to last twice as long or half as expensive. The manufacturers could probably come up with some kind of monetary plan to help offset that cost if they thought about it.
View Quote

Clearly not made for you.  Plus no one cares.

How long do you finance cars for 15-20 years?   That doesn’t make any financial sense at all, I mean if you finally paid off the car and the battery needs replacing.  

I may be confused though, you trashing hybrid cars because you bought a ICE car in an EV thread?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Vehicle that will never be in my garage.
View Quote

...or my driveway for that matter. Nothing but a rich man's toy.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Not an EV fan but that is a sexy looking car
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:28:53 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

They arent playing this time around with people selling their CyberTruck preorder slots... $50,000 upfront (within 10 days) just for a slot.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:29:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes, but the pilots are trained for it, in good physical condition, and wear G suits.

So not something the average person could do without passing out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't fighter jets pull 9gs?
Yes, but the pilots are trained for it, in good physical condition, and wear G suits.

So not something the average person could do without passing out.

Wouldn’t 3g’s be enough to cause vision or disorientation issues for some?

Wonder what the warning sticker for that will look like.  Caution, fat old fucks shouldn’t use full acceleration.

Also a design goal isn’t the same as actual results.  It’d fit in pretty well with Elon’s deal for him to say something like the car can technically do it when setup correctly, but we’re at 1.8 due to reasonable production tires.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:57:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No it isn't.

Guy at work bought one last year and his kid, who also works with me, watched the numbers like a hawk and they never changed.

Granted this was an easy winter, but the numbers held up even on the coldest days.
View Quote

I’m not sure what batteries it uses, but battery performance taking as significant hit, in the cold weather, is a fact.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah but why does it take so long?
It should be 0 to 60 in 0.5 seconds.

Do better, jeez.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:17:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My favorite African American.
View Quote

Wait?

You mean it is not Charlize?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#32]
It’s been years since I’ve driven or even ridden in what I’d consider a fast car. I used to do it all the time too. The last one was a 10 second Mustang and it made me feel like my brain was about to come out of the back of my skull.

I can’t even fathom 0-60 in less than a second. That’s probably violent enough to make some people pass out.

ETA: didn’t read to see others calling this out already. They’re saying 2.5-3 G’s with the average person passing out at 4-5. I have to wonder how healthy the average person is at that figure too. I’d think the liability for Tesla here is insane.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It’s been years since I’ve driven or even ridden in what I’d consider a fast car. I used to do it all the time too. The last one was a 10 second Mustang and it made me feel like my brain was about to come out of the back of my skull.

I can’t even fathom 0-60 in less than a second. That’s probably violent enough to make some people pass out.

ETA: didn’t read to see others calling this out already. They’re saying 2.5-3 G’s with the average person passing out at 4-5. I have to wonder how healthy the average person is at that figure too. I’d think the liability for Tesla here is insane.
View Quote

You get used to it.  

If you have only ridden in a "fast car" a few times every now and then, it tends to always be impressive.  Or when you first get a "fast car" its a thrill.... but that feeling wears off.  Sure, you still know the car is moving and it may still push you back, but the thrill subsides.

When you own them, you just get used to it. You want more and more, to chase the feeling and rush.

Its like most drugs.  It may still scratch the itch, but the rush wanes.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I talked to friend that has a Tesla just yesterday.

Two years ago, he was gung-fucking-ho about it. When I saw him yesterday (first time in a few months), first thing he said was asking me if I wanted to buy it.

Can't go to the dealer without spending a thousand bucks.

Door handles. He's replaced a half dozen.
Other people touch the door handles and break them.
The adhesive in the touch screen melted on a hot day.
Tires are $500 each.
Bought the wrong tires, and they lasted 300 miles.
The motor-drive coupler broke. Two hours to replace, part was $7k.
He's dreading replacing the battery. He doesn't make that kind of money.

He's done with it, and nobody wants to buy it from him. He was so blood-thirsty about getting it, it was stunning.

ETA, I used to work on sportbikes. Most people can't comprehend that kind of acceleration, and they damn sure can't comprehend it when it's actively occurring.
You want Uncle Joe passing legislation to keep you from speeding? This is how you get Uncle Joe to pass legislation to keep you from speeding.
View Quote

Predictable outcome. Wait for legislation mandating auto speed detection with immediate interventional throttling/governance, possibly with punitive remedial power reduction as a "punishment" for a period. Talking about detection/enforcement/adjudication in real time. Citation will be emailed & funds automatically deducted from your account, or possibly from your pay, because why not let your employer know about it, too. Maybe throw your face up on an e-billboard while they're at it, because you're a menace to society. A deducted portion of your chocolate soylent bug rations will be redistributed to the greater society as remittance. All in the name of efficiency & safety, same as taxes & everything else.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Wood.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

People are saying 2.8 Gs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
0-60 in 1 second? How many G's is that?

People are saying 2.8 Gs.
Yep. When I first calculated that I was "Naw, it's gotta be way more."  Nope it's not. I got 2.75 G too.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When reality sinks in..

View Quote

Spot on
For the last 10 years we have heard GD claim just wait til all the big companies come online with their EVs. Tesla will be out of business pretty quick once all the legacy auto makers start making them.
Reality sets in….they all stepped on the field to challenge and one by one they are all quietly tucking their tails between their legs and bowing out while Tesla continues to hit sales records quarter after quarter….to the point of 1 of their models is the best selling car in the world
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Want
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Vehicle that will never be in my garage.
View Quote

Boomery hate for evs!  Rar!  Bluh!

Screw that.   Currently i desire an army 5 ton dump truck and also a tesla something very fast.  

Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Don't fighter jets pull 9gs?
View Quote

Yes

Different

Fighters push you down. This pushes you back.

This will be a snap your head and it’s over.

About the only challenge would be a firm grip on the wheel.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Topless pic?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Wish he'd make a SXS
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Crazy numbers even allowing for advertising hype.

Does there even exist a tire that allows that level of traction and that level of high speed with any kind of reasonable lifetime ?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Crazy numbers even allowing for advertising hype.

Does there even exist a tire that allows that level of traction and that level of high speed with any kind of reasonable lifetime ?
View Quote

Even with a dragstrip fully prepped with VHT/PJ1, I’m skeptical. On the street, not a prayer.

I’ve been in highly modded AWD vehicles over the 1000HP mark (stingy Mustang dyno). They’ll easily spin all 4 wheels in 3rd gear, with slicks.

As for tires that can handle those speeds, the Veyron had tires specially made to handle 250mph.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Buying an electric car and not charging it at home is like buying the latest and greatest wildcat cartridge and not reloading.
View Quote

Spot on.

Not garage charging at home is flat stupid.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#47]

That'd be a nice fiero concept . Elon could chunk a turbo 3-cylinder in the trunk and a pair of part-time electric motors up front .
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amusement park rides approach this.  The Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point does 0 to 60 mph in 1.2 seconds and 0 to 120 mph in 2.8 ... that was 20 years ago.  I'm sure there's newer/faster coasters now.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
0-60 in 1 second? How many G’s is that?
View Quote

Straight line, horizontal acceleration doesn't generate a huge amount, I don't think. Two or three Gs, maybe?

First time you do it without planting your grape firmly against the headrest should be entertaining, though. Be sure to video.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Elon should be knighted.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top